brianphilipsaunders

Missing Options In Version 10

Question

I have been using Roxio EMC for several years with windows XP. I have had EMC 10 working correctly on XP but now have a new PC with Vista.

There seems to be some parts missing on the Sound Editor/ Record Window.

The problem is this - on the VISTA PC the Recorder window INPUT shows just one option (Master Volume) whereas on the XP PC there are EIGHT options.

The VISTA version will not allow me to record directly from my PC other than with the microphone which obviously picks up ambiant noise. When I try using the Line-In (on the Capture From option) there's no recording. The EMC 10 with Windows XP does record.

Has anyone any ideas please?

4 answers to this question

I have been using Roxio EMC for several years with windows XP. I have had EMC 10 working correctly on XP but now have a new PC with Vista.

There seems to be some parts missing on the Sound Editor/ Record Window.

The problem is this - on the VISTA PC the Recorder window INPUT shows just one option (Master Volume) whereas on the XP PC there are EIGHT options.

The VISTA version will not allow me to record directly from my PC other than with the microphone which obviously picks up ambiant noise. When I try using the Line-In (on the Capture From option) there's no recording. The EMC 10 with Windows XP does record.

Has anyone any ideas please?

Vista handles sound a bit differently but what works for me in XP also works just as well in Vista (on the same machine). I'm not in front of a Vista system at the moment but make sure you have the latest drivers for your audio as it does make a difference. Also, your XP system may have an actual sound card while your Vista system may be using integrate audio (sound chip on your motherboard). Some of these integrated audio systems don't allow all the options a dedicated sound card does.

In Vista go to the Control Panel,Sound and open the Recording tab.

Right click on any device you see and check Show Disabled Devices.

If any new devices show up right click them and hit Enable.

Once you do that go back into Roxio and see if you get any other choices.

Vista handles sound a bit differently but what works for me in XP also works just as well in Vista (on the same machine). I'm not in front of a Vista system at the moment but make sure you have the latest drivers for your audio as it does make a difference. Also, your XP system may have an actual sound card while your Vista system may be using integrate audio (sound chip on your motherboard). Some of these integrated audio systems don't allow all the options a dedicated sound card does.

Thanks for the speedy response - should I install a dedicated sound card?

In Vista go to the Control Panel,Sound and open the Recording tab.

Right click on any device you see and check Show Disabled Devices.

If any new devices show up right click them and hit Enable.

Once you do that go back into Roxio and see if you get any other choices.

Thanks for the tip - I just have the two options i.e. line in and mike. So I guessd that's it. Thanks anyway

Thanks for the speedy response - should I install a dedicated sound card?

First, if there's an updated driver for sound on your MB, I'd see if that helps. If this is a 'must have' for you then look into getting a dedicated sound card and if installed, don't forget to turn off integrated sound from within your BIOS. Having both enabled will definitely cause problems.