ptcinsf

Tivo Support - Anyone Tried Sending Video From Mac To Tivo Yet?

Question

I am a long time popcorn user and have used the tivo->mac feature - great for taking tv shows on biz trips. I have been struggling with other popcorn problems lately and the mac->tivo feature of Toast 10 caught my eye. given recent experience with roxio product problems/support and looking at the forums, I am a bit cautious about another investment here. Anyone tried these features yet? I am running 10.5.6 on newest macbook pro unibody.

Thanks in advance

The Mac2TiVo is a separate application in the Toast 10 standard (as well as pro) version. I have no way to test it but Roxio has a 30-day refund policy for online purchases. So give it a try. Also, with your hardware and OS I'd want to upgrade because of problems I've read in the Popcorn forum with the newest Macbooks and Macbook Pros.

I bought Toast 10 Pro today to get Mac2Tivo, but can't find any documentation or help for Mac2Tivo and haven't been able to make it do anything at all. However, one poster claims he can see Quicktime-playable files from his Tivo.

Apparently Mac2Tivo doesn't really move stuff to the Tivo, it just makes your Mac into a server that Tivo can play things from.

I may be wrong, as there's not many clues provided. I hope so.

Does PopCorn actually move files to the Tivo? Maybe I need to learn how to use that.

I bought Toast 10 Pro today to get Mac2Tivo, but can't find any documentation or help for Mac2Tivo and haven't been able to make it do anything at all. However, one poster claims he can see Quicktime-playable files from his Tivo.

Apparently Mac2Tivo doesn't really move stuff to the Tivo, it just makes your Mac into a server that Tivo can play things from.

I may be wrong, as there's not many clues provided. I hope so.

Does PopCorn actually move files to the Tivo? Maybe I need to learn how to use that.

Mac2Tivo is not for moving TiVo files back to the TiVo. It will convert files from a Quicktime supported format to an MPEG2 file that the TiVo can play and store on the TiVo. If the file is already in MPEG2 format the TiVo will just copy the file to the device. The resulting MPEG2 files are stored on the TiVo's Now Playing list until the user removes them.

Wow, that's what I want, close enough. I don't care if Tivo copies the file back instead of Mac2Tivo writing it back.

But I now have a folder in Mac2Tivo that has one file in it, and I don't see anything on the TiVo that seems to relate to it, in Now Playing or anywhere else.

I am able to play music from my Mac in Tivo, and play slideshows from my Mac in Tivo.

I've tried manually adding a server at the Mac's IP address in the Tivo, and the Tivo says there's no server there, but Mac2Tivo says I've started the server.

I've been watching the firewall log, and I've tried turning the firewall off. No obvious change.

How can I figure out why this isn't working, so I can fix it?

Aha, a NEW message in the Firewall log:

Jan 10 11:54:16 My-Mac-Pro Firewall[51]: RXTivoServer is listening from 0.0.0.0:10090 uid = 501 proto=6

This looks pretty weird, because of the zero IP address with no ::ffff: in front of it.

I also get a range of ports in logs like this:

Jan 10 11:42:12 My-Mac-Pro Firewall[51]: Allow TiVoDesktop connecting from 192.168.1.90:2819 uid = 0 proto=6

That's got the Tivo's IP address in it.

But TivoDesktop seems to work, or at least TivoTransfer does.

Here's all the listen log entries:

Jan 10 11:30:23 My-Mac-Pro Firewall[51]: TiVo Transfer is listening from ::ffff:0.0.0.0:0 uid = 501 proto=6

Jan 10 11:37:58 My-Mac-Pro Firewall[51]: TiVoDesktop is listening from ::ffff:0.0.0.0:0 uid = 0 proto=6

Jan 10 11:37:58 My-Mac-Pro Firewall[51]: TiVoDesktop is listening from ::ffff:0.0.0.0:8101 uid = 0 proto=6

Jan 10 11:54:16 My-Mac-Pro Firewall[51]: RXTivoServer is listening from 0.0.0.0:10090 uid = 501 proto=6

But which server corresponds to Mac2Tivo?????

And, if it did work, would it show up in the Music, Photos, & Showcases list like the music and photos do?

Or do titles just appear in the Now Playing?

With no documentation at all, and no examples of working Mac2Tivo, this all seems pretty unprofessionally released IMHO. I bought the software just to get this, and I really want to use it, and it's wasting hours of my time for no joy. Help!!

Okay am I right that everyone is still as lost as I was - sorry if this issue was solved, but I figured out how to work Mac2Tivo and it works PERFECTLY.... In the "Photos, Music, Showcases" window turn on "Enable Network Applications" at the bottom of the list. Then on the Mac make sure you have started the server in the Mac2Tivo application (I also added the application to my firewall as allowing incoming).

I restarted the TiVo (no idea if that helped). Then, under the Currently Playing list, at the bottom, I see a computer icon with my Mac listed, I choose it and it lists all the AVIs I have in the shared folder (odd thing, it lists each item twice, but that doesn't seem to matter). Whala, it saves the file to my TiVO and it plays.

Hope that helps.

-- Don

Okay am I right that everyone is still as lost as I was - sorry if this issue was solved, but I figured out how to work Mac2Tivo and it works PERFECTLY.... In the "Photos, Music, Showcases" window turn on "Enable Network Applications" at the bottom of the list. Then on the Mac make sure you have started the server in the Mac2Tivo application (I also added the application to my firewall as allowing incoming).

I restarted the TiVo (no idea if that helped). Then, under the Currently Playing list, at the bottom, I see a computer icon with my Mac listed, I choose it and it lists all the AVIs I have in the shared folder (odd thing, it lists each item twice, but that doesn't seem to matter). Whala, it saves the file to my TiVO and it plays.

Hope that helps.

-- Don

Great work figuring it out. The double files is an issue with how Mac's save files and how they are seen on PC servers. There is an application calledBlueHarvest that probably can automatically clean those up. I've used it to get rid of the duplicate files that appear when putting tunes on my non-iPhone cell phone and media files on a MediaGate device connected to my TV. I don't have TiVo so can't be sure this is what you need but I'm pretty sure it is.

I choose it and it lists all the AVIs I have in the shared folder (odd thing, it lists each item twice, but that doesn't seem to matter). Whala, it saves the file to my TiVO and it plays.

While that behavior doesn't happen all of the time, it is something that we seen and plan to correct in a future update.

Mac2Tivo is not for moving TiVo files back to the TiVo.

But can it do that? For example, let's say I've used Toast's Tivo Transfer app to move a show from my Tivo to my Mac. Later I wish to once again watch that show on my Tivo. Can Mac2Tivo do that?

Thanks!

Kupe

But can it do that? For example, let's say I've used Toast's Tivo Transfer app to move a show from my Tivo to my Mac. Later I wish to once again watch that show on my Tivo. Can Mac2Tivo do that?

Thanks!

Kupe

We currently can not send a TiVo program (.TiVo file) back to your TiVo.

Hope that helps.

-- Don

Congratulations! Did you run into this problem? My computer shows up in Tivo, but no directories nor files! Any ideas?

Fred

Congratulations! Did you run into this problem? My computer shows up in Tivo, but no directories nor files! Any ideas?

Fred

Followed the advice on this post and the other thread, i don't see the mac server on my tivo series 3. I manually added the ip address of my mac, no love. checklist:

Mac2Tivo server on and sharing

Media access key is correct

Tivo.com settings confirmed

My tivo sees my other Tivo on the home wifi and connects to Tivo service for software updates

I am a network sharing newbie so have no idea how see if my firewall on mac os is blocking this service. The sharing system settings have everything off.

Any ideas?

Followed the advice on this post and the other thread, i don't see the mac server on my tivo series 3. I manually added the ip address of my mac, no love. checklist:

Mac2Tivo server on and sharing

Media access key is correct

Tivo.com settings confirmed

My tivo sees my other Tivo on the home wifi and connects to Tivo service for software updates

I am a network sharing newbie so have no idea how see if my firewall on mac os is blocking this service. The sharing system settings have everything off.

Any ideas?

I started a ticket with Roxio and explained what I had done and got this boiler plate answer, which tells me to do everything I have already done. I have asked if they even read my original post and asked for someone who knows the product to take another crack at it.

So here is what Roxio says you should do. Why this isn't in the docs, I don't know.

---

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

1) Verify that your MAK address is entered correctly (in all capital letters) - you will not be able to see shows on your TiVo without the correct MAK entered

2) Verify that your TiVo is set to enable "transfers" - log on to your TIVO account, click on "DVR Preferences" on the left-hand column, and click "enable transfers"

3) Disable the TiVo Desktop sharing option and server - see the TiVo Desktop in System Preferences

4) Make sure your network is set up correctly, more details at:

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/LaunchCon...4d-75a0d6460ec0

5) Cycle power on tivos - http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/General%20I...N?set-locale=en

6) Disable VPN

7) Disable any download or other transfer managers

8) Disable notification services like Gmail notifier and Growl notifier

---

I started a ticket with Roxio and explained what I had done and got this boiler plate answer, which tells me to do everything I have already done. I have asked if they even read my original post and asked for someone who knows the product to take another crack at it.

So here is what Roxio says you should do. Why this isn't in the docs, I don't know.

---

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

1) Verify that your MAK address is entered correctly (in all capital letters) - you will not be able to see shows on your TiVo without the correct MAK entered

2) Verify that your TiVo is set to enable "transfers" - log on to your TIVO account, click on "DVR Preferences" on the left-hand column, and click "enable transfers"

3) Disable the TiVo Desktop sharing option and server - see the TiVo Desktop in System Preferences

4) Make sure your network is set up correctly, more details at:

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/LaunchCon...4d-75a0d6460ec0

5) Cycle power on tivos - http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/General%20I...N?set-locale=en

6) Disable VPN

7) Disable any download or other transfer managers

8) Disable notification services like Gmail notifier and Growl notifier

---

Thanks, but what is a MAK address and where can I find it?

MAK = Media Access Key. It's unique to your Tivo. They are wrong, there are no letters in my MAK. You get your MAK from the Tivo itself. Sorry, I don't remember the menus but it's not too hard to find. Start in Settings.

So I installed on another Macintosh and it works. Beats me why. The Mac it works on is less powerful than the one it doesn't. In fact it's running a PowerPC processor rather than the Intel on the machine that doesn't.

I'm moving some high res movies over and it looks awesome, although the transfers over 802.11G are very slow.

Roxio support has been zero help so far. Pitty, they Toast Suite is great, and this program isn't even why I bought it. Using Toast to pull a program over from the Tivo, then editing out the commercials and making a DVD is great!

Fred

Still no love. Followed all directions and have the correct MAK - I know this is true because I can use Tivo transfer to move programs from Tivo to PC - works fine. Must be some sort of security setting. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kupe

you can use the TiVo Desktop feature (free download from Tivo) to transfer .tivo files from your mac to your tivo. the download installs a profile into your System Preferences that allows you to publish your iPhoto and iTunes libraries to your Tivo (to view photos and listen to your tunes through the Tivo). if you hold the apple/command button while clicking on the TiVo Desktop in System Preferences, you'll also get the option to publish videos to your TiVo. while this will only recognize .tivo files, shows that you've transferred to your mac to store, you can transfer back to your Tivo to watch. you'll see the files in a folder listed under Now Playing on the Tivo (similar to Mac2Tivo).

Tivo Desktop

OK, I got mine working.

First, if you are a sensible person, you have the firewall on. This will cause the problem I had which was the server appeared on the Tivo, but not files were listed.

The test is to turn off the firewall in the Security System Preference. If that works, and you are still a sensible person, you'll want to switch the firewall back on and add Mac2Tivo as an application that can receive incoming connections.

Since this, it's been working like a champ for me.

Fred

you can use the TiVo Desktop feature (free download from Tivo) to transfer .tivo files from your mac to your tivo. the download installs a profile into your System Preferences that allows you to publish your iPhoto and iTunes libraries to your Tivo (to view photos and listen to your tunes through the Tivo). if you hold the apple/command button while clicking on the TiVo Desktop in System Preferences, you'll also get the option to publish videos to your TiVo. while this will only recognize .tivo files, shows that you've transferred to your mac to store, you can transfer back to your Tivo to watch. you'll see the files in a folder listed under Now Playing on the Tivo (similar to Mac2Tivo).

Tivo Desktop

The hidden "videos" tab in the TiVo Desktop preference pane also supports the "publishing" of MPEG-2 files as well as .tivo files

The hidden "videos" tab in the TiVo Desktop preference pane also supports the "publishing" of MPEG-2 files as well as .tivo files

Ok, so how do you find the hidden videos tab? Or were you being facetious?

Ok, so how do you find the hidden videos tab? Or were you being facetious?

Hold down the apple/command key and then click on the preference pane to launch it.

Can someone tell me whether you can queue transfers with Mac2Tivo? I gave it a shot yesterday, but it appears that only a few minutes of each program (.AVI files) transferred. I assumed that you could queue transfers to occur one after another, is this not the case?