tsantee

What's New In Toast 10

Question

I just received my Toast 10 Pro and haven't yet put it through its paces. But here is what I've seen so far:

The Pro version download is 672 MB. When the downloaded disc image mounts there is a Toast 10 Titanium folder which one drags to the Applications folder, a Pro Applications folder which one should open and run the included installers, and a PDF version of the 142-page user guide.

The Toast 10 Titanium folder contains the following:

Toast Titanium (v10.0)

CD Spin Doctor (v6.0.1)

DiscCatalogMaker RE (v5.5.4)

Mac2TiVo

Get Backup 2 RE (v2.0)

Disc Cover 2 RE (v2.2 containing 120 MB of art)

Streamer (v 2.0)

Mac2TiVo is the only new application compared with the Toast 9 bundle but all are newer versions than what was included with Toast 9. The size of the newer Disc Cover is about 30 MB larger than the previously bundled version.

The Pro Applications folder contains the following:

FotoMagico (v2.6.2). Discounted upgrade to v 3.x available from Boinx

Fotomagico Plug-in for Aperture

LightZone (v3.6.1). Free update to v. 3.8.5 from LightCrafts

SoundSoap SE (v2.2). Free update to v 2.4 available from Bias

SonicFire Pro (v5.1). Free update available to v 5.5 available from SmartSound.

Toast 10 Titanium HD/BD Plug-in (v2.0)

After opening Toast I saw some additions and deletions compared with version 9.

Preferences: The extinct HD DVD format is gone as an option (Blu-Ray, of course, remains)

Data window: No change

Audio window: No change

Video window: AVCHD Archive is added. DivX disc is removed. The DVD menu settings window now has an Aspect Ratio setting (Automatic/Standard/Wide Screen/Show All). I believe Toast 9 is in Show All mode. The menu styles are new designs and greater in number (25), and the widescreen menu styles have 16x9 thumbnail buttons (unlike the 4x3 menu buttons in the Toast 9 HD menus).

Copy window: No change

Convert window: Audiobook is added. The DivX convert option is removed. Version 10.0.7 adds an iPad export setting and Toast can convert TiVo transfers to 640x480 resolution (U.S. only) which is larger than before.

Extras menu: link to www.photoshow.com.

Media Browser: Web Video added as an input option.

There are cosmetic changes to Toast 10's windows (which I like). There is no change in the user interface compared with Toast 9.

I need DivX encoding capability for use with my MediaGate device so I'll need to use Toast 9 for that purpose and wish it hadn't been deleted from Toast 10 (or better yet, wish my MediaGate would play H.264). I already have the excellent FotoMagico and SoundSoap 2.1.1. I'm excited by LightZone for my photo editing business and intrigued by SonicFire.

CD Spin Doctor has a new "Start Audio Music Capture" button in its opening screen, although it doesn't seem to be working for me so I click on the Start New Recording button as before.

Also included in the Pro purchase is a 2.3 GB download of audio tracks for SonicFire Pro.

Edited by tsantee

7 answers to this question

Can you tell whether the Fotomagico version is the complete version; or one of those feature-contrained 'special edition' versions? If real, can you then tell whether it is the normal version or the PRO version?

You mentioned the Aperture plug-in, and Roxio made an allusion to HD support, both of which are only in the PRO version of the stand alone product; thus i am curious.

Thank you for your help and time.

Can you tell whether the Fotomagico version is the complete version; or one of those feature-contrained 'special edition' versions? If real, can you then tell whether it is the normal version or the PRO version?

You mentioned the Aperture plug-in, and Roxio made an allusion to HD support, both of which are only in the PRO version of the stand alone product; thus i am curious.

Thank you for your help and time.

It is the currently shipping version of Fotomagico but I can't check if it is the standard or Pro version. I already have the Pro version installed on my Macs and Fotomagico just adds new licenses to a list of licensed versions. My sense is that I'll see the Pro features even if I register with the license furnished by Roxio. The Pro version is the same application with additional features activated.

I was presuming that it is the standard version because that enables Boinx to make some money selling the Pro enhancement. But you are correct that Boinx says the Aperture plug-in is part of the Pro and not the standard version. I guess you or someone else who didn't previously own a license to Fotomagico will have to answer this.

I did not have Fotomagico on my MacBook so I can confirm that it is the standard version and not the Pro.

Hi there. Has there been any improvement in the disc spanning feature which I know many users have asked for?

In Toast 9, I regularly need to span 100GB backups across DVDs and end up wasting loads of them as one fails and the whole batch has to be done again. It would be really useful to be able to 'jump in' to one failed disc and start again from there. If there is no change to this feature, then for me there is no point in upgrading as 9 does all that I want it to.

Thanks. :)

Hi there. Has there been any improvement in the disc spanning feature which I know many users have asked for?

In Toast 9, I regularly need to span 100GB backups across DVDs and end up wasting loads of them as one fails and the whole batch has to be done again. It would be really useful to be able to 'jump in' to one failed disc and start again from there. If there is no change to this feature, then for me there is no point in upgrading as 9 does all that I want it to.

Thanks. :)

I may be mistaken but it appears to me to be unchanged. Some users had asked that it save multiple disc image files but it puts all the content in one disc image which cannot be spanned in the Copy window. When I start burning a set in the Data window it does not ask me which disc in the set I want to begin burning.

Why in the world did they take away the Divx option?

I need it back! Will not upgrade to 10 if subsequent upgrades are still missing this feature!

Why in the world did they take away the Divx option?

I need it back! Will not upgrade to 10 if subsequent upgrades are still missing this feature!

I don't know why DivX encoding is gone but you can keep Toast 9 along with Toast 10 if there are other reasons you decide you need Toast 10. Also, you can burn existing DivX videos to CD and DVD using the Data window, so the absence of the DivX disc setting in the Video window only is a loss when needing to encode to DivX format.