RubenFlores

Result Code = 1634955892

Question

Dear Members,

I was trying to duplicate a DVD in Toast 9 and got the following message:

Could not record the disc because if a Mac OS Error.

Result Code = 1634955892

Has anyone experienced the same? The DVD I am trying to duplicate was burned in another computer and it contains a video reel.

I have a Mac Mini (1.42 Ghz, PowerPC G4) with Mac OS 10.5 and Toast 9.0.4.

I will appreciate your comments.

13 answers to this question

Try choosing Save as Disc Image when you have Disc Copy selected in the Copy window. If that works, burn the disc image using the Image File setting.

Wow! I have a similar problem! I have a Mac OS X 10.5.6 and I've been trying to convert my video_TS files into HDV files and the error message comes up saying:

"Couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS error"

Result Code = -50

Do you think there's something wrong with our macs???

Wow! I have a similar problem! I have a Mac OS X 10.5.6 and I've been trying to convert my video_TS files into HDV files and the error message comes up saying:

Result Code = -50

Do you think there's something wrong with our macs???

Toast is having some kind of problem with that VIDEO_TS folder or that title within the VIDEO_TS folder. In such cases a workaround is to place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop, choose Video Files as the format in the Convert window, choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser and drag what you want from the Browser to the Video window. Toast then extracts the MPEG video file from the VIDEO_TS folder and works with that. The Media Browser can access both the titles and chapters levels of the VIDEO_TS folder.

<!--quoteo(post=252454:date=Jan 22 2009, 09:29 PM:name=SlidingGlassDoor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SlidingGlassDoor @ Jan 22 2009, 09:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=252454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow! I have a similar problem! I have a Mac OS X 10.5.6 and I've been trying to convert my video_TS files into HDV files and the error message comes up saying:

Result Code = -50

Do you think there's something wrong with our macs???<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Toast is having some kind of problem with that VIDEO_TS folder or that title within the VIDEO_TS folder. In such cases a workaround is to place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop, choose Video Files as the format in the Convert window, choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser and drag what you want from the Browser to the Video window. Toast then extracts the MPEG video file from the VIDEO_TS folder and works with that. The Media Browser can access both the titles and chapters levels of the VIDEO_TS folder.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having the same problem and I'm not quite understanding your workaround, tsantee.

I've managed to do a 'save as disk image' from my Video_TS folder and it plays fine. I don't understand how I can now burn it onto a disk that is playable via a DVD player as per your instructions above.

To backtrack, when I try to follow the Toast instructions about burning the contents from a Video_TS folder to a disk, I'm receiving the same error message as others in this thread.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)

I'm using Mac OS 10.5.8 with an Intel processor.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having the same problem and I'm not quite understanding your workaround, tsantee.

I've managed to do a 'save as disk image' from my Video_TS folder and it plays fine. I don't understand how I can now burn it onto a disk that is playable via a DVD player as per your instructions above.

To backtrack, when I try to follow the Toast instructions about burning the contents from a Video_TS folder to a disk, I'm receiving the same error message as others in this thread.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)

I'm using Mac OS 10.5.8 with an Intel processor.

You can burn the VIDEO_TS folder to DVD using the Data window. Choose DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format. Click new disc and name your disc. Then drag in the VIDEO_TS folder and burn the disc. If there is no problem with the VIDEO_TS folder there should be no problem with playing the disc. If the VIDEO_TS folder is too large to fit your single-layer disc then choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. When that is done select the disc image file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. Toast will do additional compression to fit the DVD. This all presumes that nothing is amiss with the VIDEO_TS folder.

You can burn the VIDEO_TS folder to DVD using the Data window. Choose DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format. Click new disc and name your disc. Then drag in the VIDEO_TS folder and burn the disc. If there is no problem with the VIDEO_TS folder there should be no problem with playing the disc. If the VIDEO_TS folder is too large to fit your single-layer disc then choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. When that is done select the disc image file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. Toast will do additional compression to fit the DVD. This all presumes that nothing is amiss with the VIDEO_TS folder.

Thanks for chiming in, tsantee.

It's still not working and as I only currently have 'R' DVDs, I'm hesitant to try again.

What just happened now (and before) is that it's burning the entire contents of my Video_TS file 'as is' plus adding in an Audio_TS.

My understanding of Toast is that it's supposed to convert the contents of a Video_TS into an avi file, for example, that can then be played using a traditional DVD player. What am I missing here? :huh:

Thanks for chiming in, tsantee.

It's still not working and as I only currently have 'R' DVDs, I'm hesitant to try again.

What just happened now (and before) is that it's burning the entire contents of my Video_TS file 'as is' plus adding in an Audio_TS.

My understanding of Toast is that it's supposed to convert the contents of a Video_TS into an avi file, for example, that can then be played using a traditional DVD player. What am I missing here? :huh:

The empty AUDIO_TS folder is normal for a video DVD. Toast adds it to help assure compatibility with DVD players. Traditional DVD players play discs that contain a VIDEO_TS folder. They don't play AVI's unless you have a player that can also play Divx. Back when blank DVD discs were expensive and blank CD discs were cheap some users would create a Divx disc on CD media. Divx is a form of MPEG 4. Many AVI's are Divx but some are not. None of this is important, though. If you want to play something on a traditional DVD player, then burn the VIDEO_TS folder (along with the empty AUDIO_TS folder) to a DVD disc using the DVD-rom (UDF) format.

I don't understand why you don't want to burn the entire contents of the VIDEO_TS folder. I also don't understand you concern about using -R or +R DVDs. Those are what you need to use.

The empty AUDIO_TS folder is normal for a video DVD. Toast adds it to help assure compatibility with DVD players. Traditional DVD players play discs that contain a VIDEO_TS folder. They don't play AVI's unless you have a player that can also play Divx. Back when blank DVD discs were expensive and blank CD discs were cheap some users would create a Divx disc on CD media. Divx is a form of MPEG 4. Many AVI's are Divx but some are not. None of this is important, though. If you want to play something on a traditional DVD player, then burn the VIDEO_TS folder (along with the empty AUDIO_TS folder) to a DVD disc using the DVD-rom (UDF) format.

I don't understand why you don't want to burn the entire contents of the VIDEO_TS folder. I also don't understand you concern about using -R or +R DVDs. Those are what you need to use.

I'm new to Toast and the whole concept of burning DVDs so I greatly appreciate your assistance and patience.

When I inserted the newly burned DVD containing a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS file, my DVD player had the following message:

"Disc Error. Please eject the disk. Playback feature may not be available on this disc."

Just out of curiosity, I opened an original DVD on my computer and saw that it contains a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS file, too. (I was thinking it'd show an encoded video ending in an extension such as .avi.)

I have no explanation for why the disk I burned will not play on my DVD player. (I'm finding this all very frustrating. Yesterday I was strugging to teach myself how to use ffmpegX and I had some success but was encouraged to switch to Toast as it's 'one step' and less finicky than ffmpegX.)

Regarding your last paragraph, I have no problem burning the entire contents of the VIDEO_TS file. My only concern with using -R DVDs is I can't rewrite on them and if I can't play what I'm currently burning, they're now wasted.

I'm going to try burning another VIDEO_TS file I have saved. If this one works, then I'll conclude there's an issue with the other file. Would it matter if the other file was originally from a DVD in another country's format? (I'm in Canada, for example.) Sorry if this question seems dumb or obvious, but I'm new to all of this and it's quite the learning curve. :(

Edited by catesead

I'm new to Toast and the whole concept of burning DVDs so I greatly appreciate your assistance and patience.

When I inserted the newly burned DVD containing a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS file, my DVD player had the following message:

"Disc Error. Please eject the disk. Playback feature may not be available on this disc."

Just out of curiosity, I opened an original DVD on my computer and saw that it contains a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS file, too. (I was thinking it'd show an encoded video ending in an extension such as .avi.)

I have no explanation for why the disk I burned will not play on my DVD player. (I'm finding this all very frustrating. Yesterday I was strugging to teach myself how to use ffmpegX and I had some success but was encouraged to switch to Toast as it's 'one step' and less finicky than ffmpegX.)

Regarding your last paragraph, I have no problem burning the entire contents of the VIDEO_TS file. My only concern with using -R DVDs is I can't rewrite on them and if I can't play what I'm currently burning, they're now wasted.

I'm going to try burning another VIDEO_TS file I have saved. If this one works, then I'll conclude there's an issue with the other file. Would it matter if the other file was originally from a DVD in another country's format? (I'm in Canada, for example.) Sorry if this question seems dumb or obvious, but I'm new to all of this and it's quite the learning curve. :(

Be sure you are using the DVD-Rom (UDF) setting in the Data window and not any of the others. Also, you should be able to do the same thing by choosing the VIDEO_TS Folder setting in the Toast Video window. In that case Toast automatically knows to burn with the DVD-Rom (UDF) setting. I now understand you concern about wasting discs.

Addendum: I didn't notice your question about the country of origin for the DVD. Yes, it can make a difference. If the source DVD is in PAL format it won't play on a NTSC DVD player. In that case you need to use Toast to transcode the video to NTSC. This requires multiple steps and I can describe them if you want. Otherwise, just watch it on a computer because your computer can play either NTSC or PAL equally well.

Edited by tsantee

Be sure you are using the DVD-Rom (UDF) setting in the Data window and not any of the others. Also, you should be able to do the same thing by choosing the VIDEO_TS Folder setting in the Toast Video window. In that case Toast automatically knows to burn with the DVD-Rom (UDF) setting. I now understand you concern about wasting discs.

Addendum: I didn't notice your question about the country of origin for the DVD. Yes, it can make a difference. If the source DVD is in PAL format it won't play on a NTSC DVD player. In that case you need to use Toast to transcode the video to NTSC. This requires multiple steps and I can describe them if you want. Otherwise, just watch it on a computer because your computer can play either NTSC or PAL equally well.

Thanks, tsantee. I managed to successfully burn a DVD by using a VIDEO_TS file from a DVD bought in Canada and had no problem playing the burned DVD with my DVD player so at least I know I can do it correctly.

I didn't see your addendum until now so in the meantime, I started attempting a workaround using iSkysoft. I converted the PAL DVD into an .avi file thinking I could then burn it onto a DVD using Toast. Is this a possibility or will it still have the PAL format embedded in it somehow?

If burning an .avi of a PAL DVD won't work, I'd like to take you up on your offer of providing the steps to convert PAL to NTSC via Toast, please.

Edited by catesead

Thanks, tsantee. I managed to successfully burn a DVD by using a VIDEO_TS file from a DVD bought in Canada and had no problem playing the burned DVD with my DVD player so at least I know I can do it correctly.

I didn't see your addendum until now so in the meantime, I started attempting a workaround using iSkysoft. I converted the PAL DVD into an .avi file thinking I could then burn it onto a DVD using Toast. Is this a possibility or will it still have the PAL format embedded in it somehow?

If burning an .avi of a PAL DVD won't work, I'd like to take you up on your offer of providing the steps to convert PAL to NTSC via Toast, please.

Here are the steps in case you run across this again:

1. Select DVD video as the format in the Toast Video window. Insert your source DVD.

2. Choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. The Media Browser is a separate window. If you don't see it choose Show Media Browser from the Windows menu. Double click on what appears in the browser window or choose the titles level using the button that is just beneath the top button. Drag the title(s) you want to the main window.

3. Toast now extracts the video from the DVD. When that is done you need to prepare the menu the way you want. Choose the menu style, edit the text and choose the thumbnail image. You choose the thumbnail image by licking on the thumbnail and dragging the scroll bar that appears beneath it.

4. When you have the menu ready either choose Save as Disc Image or click the burn button. (I always choose Save as Disc Image when there is going to be a lot of encoding). Toast will tell you this is PAL and ask if you want to convert. Choose yes. Now do something else for awhile as this takes some time.

5. If you chose Save as Disc Image select the finished .toast file using the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn your DVD.

6. Enjoy watching the video on your TV.

Here are the steps in case you run across this again:

1. Select DVD video as the format in the Toast Video window. Insert your source DVD.

2. Choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. The Media Browser is a separate window. If you don't see it choose Show Media Browser from the Windows menu. Double click on what appears in the browser window or choose the titles level using the button that is just beneath the top button. Drag the title(s) you want to the main window.

3. Toast now extracts the video from the DVD. When that is done you need to prepare the menu the way you want. Choose the menu style, edit the text and choose the thumbnail image. You choose the thumbnail image by licking on the thumbnail and dragging the scroll bar that appears beneath it.

4. When you have the menu ready either choose Save as Disc Image or click the burn button. (I always choose Save as Disc Image when there is going to be a lot of encoding). Toast will tell you this is PAL and ask if you want to convert. Choose yes. Now do something else for awhile as this takes some time.

5. If you chose Save as Disc Image select the finished .toast file using the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn your DVD.

6. Enjoy watching the video on your TV.

Thanks very much, tsantee. I had a chance to return to this project today and tested the end result in my DVD player and it worked great!

Hello Everybody,

I just came across this same error

(Result Code = 1634955892)

All you have to do is change the write speed from "Best" to 16x. I havent seen any posts about this for a long time. I hope this works for all of you. Best of luck.

Edited by Emanon