my7551

compare/contrast "logistics"

Question

32 answers to this question

Guest mlpasley

So since you've got to wait around a week to get the update, are you going to try the program and see how you like it before you get the update?

Truly a worthy tale. Do they give any indication of what the updates fix? As was suggested, running it "as is" may be provide another worthy tale! (Much like people applying every update they see for their product, even if it fixes problems they don't have.)

I asked permission in a “con su permiso” post in the lower “General” and, since half of the responders cautioned, OK, but “be objective,” I shall.

No comments on the software, just "organizational."

[This is my today-experience, others may past-differ]

1. Install: Both EMC8 and Nero installed perfectly.

2. Registration.

Nero requires no registration at all. Plug in the CD key and it installs.

There IS a catch.

You get 10-days of free, talk-to-live-company-person, tech support IF you register, on their site, your TSID number. This number is on a card within the product box.

I tried this and it failed saying “invalid TSID number.

You are not allowed to call this free support number until you have First registered it.

Can’t register it, can’t call: = Hmmmmmmmm?

So, I called anyway.

After an AOL-type wait, a human comes on and I tell him my TSID number is rejected as invalid.

He gives me a new TSID number.

I go back online and enter the new number. It works. I’m tech-registered.

I figured that since the program was working, I probably wouldn’t need support, but it didn’t hurt and - who knows?

3. Update.

Nero’s home display has a click box** that, when you’re on the web, you can click the box and the latest updates would be downloaded and installed (sort of like Norton’s Live Update I ASSUMED). **”ProductSetup.”

I figured (and I am often wrong) that such a new release would have few or no updates.

Surprise!

There was ONE big 200+MB thing.

Arrrrrrrgh!

So I dig into it and find that this thing is 'inclusive." Every program within Nero’s suite has at least one update, so rather than doing the nice thing and letting you JUST download the updates for the things you want/use, you have to take the whole thing!

Fool that I am, I clicked the box. (Thinking “I CAN pull the plug.”)

The first thing (and it tells you it’s going to do this) it DELETES my freshly installed program. Yes, ALL of it.

Then it says “got to reboot to finish.”

“OK” sez I.

[later note to self: THINK about that]

My machine reboots and PRIOR to windows loading, up pops a Nero box saying “can’t connect to hhtp.”

Well, of course not!

Got to have windows running to click on the ISP box to get connected.

So, all that’s left is re-reboot.

Machine does this and all is normal EXCEPT there is not trace-one of Nero on my machine or it ever having been there!

This is probably NOT what was designed to happen.

So, NOW that TSID number and human support WILL come into play.

I call the TSID number and, again, after an AOL-type wait, explain what happened..

The guy says “ProductSetup” button does not work on the Version you have.”

?????????????? VERSION THAT I HAVE? I just bought it. It's brand new! (sound familiar?)

He says that I have another option (option 2) on the download site to just download the update like any other download and the ProductSetup is fixed too.I mentioned that +200MB is not a reasonable option for dial-up folks so, he said:

“Send me a blank CD-R and I will put the whole update on it and send it to you” and he gave me the mailing address w/ attn his name.

“Charge?” says I.

“No charge” says he.

My blank CD-R is going out tomorrow.

Objective enough?

It's just a tale of what happened.

http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-up.php

Download the latest Nero 7 Ultra Edition Update – Choose from the options below:

Option 1 (Recommended) - If you want to update your Nero 7 Ultra Edition installed on this PC please launch the Nero ProductSetup for the most convenient update.

Option 2 - If you don't have an internet connection at the PC you want to update your Nero 7 Ultra Edition please download the offline installer here.

Option 3 – If you are a system administrator or an end user requiring several languages at once, please download the international full package here.

Option 2:

Select a language of choice or English as default language

Temporary disk space required – 328 MB

Permanent hard disk space required – 288 MB

Language: English

Current version: 7.0.8.2

Release Date: March 6th, 2006

Filesize: 105.00 MB ( 110.104.224 bytes )103.83 MB ( 108.876.264 bytes )

http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero_7_Premi...ease_Notes.html

Release Notes sorted by Applications

The current release notes are listed under the appropriate version numbers. Please click on the version number to inform yourself about new features, changes and bug fixes.

There's fact and there's fiction, there's the easy way and the hard way!

cdanteek

Notwithstanding, when I wanted to get Nero 6 in MY name rather than the name of the computer dealer, Nero answered my question (after I'd given up on gettng a response) by saying just uninstall/reinstall. Well, after the uninstall, the updates were needed. Getting that huge thing via 56k was ...

I tried a different Nero 6 Version that'd come with the CD-RW/DVD-ROM, but still needed the update.

The WinXP needed a couple other tweaks, so it went back to the shop, and I had them do that at the same time. It works, and does most of what I need - the rest is handled by Sonic's RecordNow Deluxe.

I try not to think about Nero's "customer service".

Lynn

Notwithstanding, when I wanted to get Nero 6 in MY name rather than the name of the computer dealer, Nero answered my question (after I'd given up on gettng a response) by saying just uninstall/reinstall. Well, after the uninstall, the updates were needed. Getting that huge thing via 56k was ...

I tried a different Nero 6 Version that'd come with the CD-RW/DVD-ROM, but still needed the update.

The WinXP needed a couple other tweaks, so it went back to the shop, and I had them do that at the same time. It works, and does most of what I need - the rest is handled by Sonic's RecordNow Deluxe.

I try not to think about Nero's "customer service".

Lynn

Update Easy Media Creator 8 Suite December 5, 2005

Update the Retail (CD-ROM) English version of Easy Media Creator 8.0 Suite (Build 800B85C) to 8.05 (Build 805B30B). To verify the version you are currently running, you may launch an EMC 8 Suite application such as Creator Classic and click on HELP-->ABOUT.

Important Note: This updater is intended for CD-ROM purchases acquired from a retail vendor only. Do not apply this update if you have downloaded your version of Easy Media Creator 8.

EMC80_805_Update.exe - 114.0 MB download

I'm starting to lose the point of this "objective" thread. :) All I can see says that both programs had major updates and that customer service has a lot to be desired for both companies. Both are excellent programs and it depends on the individual user's preference for the interface and what functions they use --- what works best for the user is the best program.

The only difference I see (and this is an objective finding) is that Roxio does have a users group (as does Sony and Pinnacle- Studio). Also, if I remember correctly Studio is an excellent program also. They had a lot of problems with their latest release -10. I'm not sure of how many updates they had.

Enough already?

Update Easy Media Creator 8 Suite December 5, 2005 Update the Retail (CD-ROM) English version of Easy Media Creator 8.0 Suite (Build 800B85C) to 8.05 (Build 805B30B). To verify the version you are currently running, you may launch an EMC 8 Suite application such as Creator Classic and click on HELP-->ABOUT.

Important Note: This updater is intended for CD-ROM purchases acquired from a retail vendor only. Do not apply this update if you have downloaded your version of Easy Media Creator 8.

EMC80_805_Update.exe - 114.0 MB download

sknis said: "...All I can see says that both programs had major updates and that customer service has a lot to be desired for both companies. Both are excellent programs and it depends on the individual user's preference for the interface and what functions they use --- what works best for the user is the best program..."

THAT is the point, if there is any point; this was just an "experience" tale.

It would be nice, very nice, if programs were written (and throughly tested) so that they would work "out of the box" and there would be no need for Tech Support/Customer Service of any type.

It would be nice if program-offerings made it consumer-clear about their use. Is the offering for Mom & Pop to "do" their camcorder stuff on their Sears Roebuck machine, or is the consumer supposed to be a computer guru and learn Latin and Greek.

It would be nice if UPDATES were JUST adding new (working) embelishments and not flaw-correctors (there shouldn't be any flaws to correct).

It would be nice if UPGRADES were BIG deals, like moving from only being able to do CDs and the upgrade made DVD stuff available.

Ok. It IS an imperfect world, and it's never going to be perfect, but talking about the imperfections CAN move in the right direction.

I agree with all that you said.

I like all the "Wouldn't it be nice" comments but as far as I know, there has never been a software program on the stands for sale that was "PERFECT". And how many of these programs have you seen "BETA" productions come out ? This is certainly one good way to get their software's bugs out for free. Just let a million users try it and you will get 10 million comments back of what was wrong with it. Now that's smart business when you think about it and how many bucks do you suppose it saves the manufacturer ?

If you are on this forum to run down Roxio, try checking out some of the other similar software and I think you will come to the conclusion that has been stated so far. It all depends on the user and what he or she likes about one or the other.

I have tried out about 4 of the different ones so far and I'll stick with ROXIO hands down !!!

Frank....

I like all the "Wouldn't it be nice" comments but as far as I know, there has never been a software program on the stands for sale that was "PERFECT". And how many of these programs have you seen "BETA" productions come out ? This is certainly one good way to get their software's bugs out for free. Just let a million users try it and you will get 10 million comments back of what was wrong with it. Now that's smart business when you think about it and how many bucks do you suppose it saves the manufacturer ?

If you are on this forum to run down Roxio, try checking out some of the other similar software and I think you will come to the conclusion that has been stated so far. It all depends on the user and what he or she likes about one or the other.

I have tried out about 4 of the different ones so far and I'll stick with ROXIO hands down !!!

Frank....

I think both of you have good resioning... but at the end of the day, it go's to what you prefure... i'm a EMC boy....

It would be nice if UPDATES were JUST adding new (working) embelishments

New Version Adds Blu-ray Data Recording, Redesigned Performance Features enable Blu-ray data recording that is readable on every operating system (Windows 98 SE/Me, Windows 2000, XP and Vista), multi-session writing on BD-R/RE media and the creation of 1:1 copies of any unprotected BD media.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13355

sknis said: "...All I can see says that both programs had major updates and that customer service has a lot to be desired for both companies. Both are excellent programs and it depends on the individual user's preference for the interface and what functions they use --- what works best for the user is the best program..."

THAT is the point, if there is any point; this was just an "experience" tale.

It would be nice, very nice, if programs were written (and throughly tested) so that they would work "out of the box" and there would be no need for Tech Support/Customer Service of any type.

It would be nice if program-offerings made it consumer-clear about their use. Is the offering for Mom & Pop to "do" their camcorder stuff on their Sears Roebuck machine, or is the consumer supposed to be a computer guru and learn Latin and Greek.

It would be nice if UPDATES were JUST adding new (working) embelishments and not flaw-correctors (there shouldn't be any flaws to correct).

It would be nice if UPGRADES were BIG deals, like moving from only being able to do CDs and the upgrade made DVD stuff available.

Ok. It IS an imperfect world, and it's never going to be perfect, but talking about the imperfections CAN move in the right direction.

I can agree with so much of what you say. Some companies do try to make "lite" or easy to use programs and then heavy duty ones. You need to be a guru when either version goes belly up on you though.

And yes, I get the feeling many programs come out poorly written and worse have no support. But to be fair, an even bigger problem is the fact that many programs simply don't play well with others. They simply can't test every possibility of pitting their program against some other one fighting for control of a driver dll file, etc.

Yup, we have to keep talking about it and keep demanding better for our bucks and maybe someday....

The commands (.dll .exe etc...) should be WITHIN each program.

So, you SHOULD be able to do a Nero-thing, finish, close, open and do an EMC8-thing, finish, and close.

Neither program should even know that the other even exists on your computer.

Well, it looks like they both know, watch each other, and throw fits when the other enters the room.

I SUPPOSE there is a tech explanation (or a marketing reason?) why this situation MUST exist, (envy?) but I can't REASON it out.

Word Perfect and Word seem to ignore each other.

Your Epson printer isn't worried that you have a Cannon and a Lexmark hooked up too. Sure, you pick a default printer, but another one is a "click" away.

Maybe one of the gurus can, in SIMPLE English, enlighten us? :)

Sounds nice.

But .dll means Dynamic Link Library, and it was devised by Microsoft so different programs can use the same code. As soon as others had signed on, Microsoft changed the information in the .dll so nobody else could use it. That seems to have set the pattern.

Lynn

Maybe one of the gurus can, in SIMPLE English, enlighten us? :)

Well...hmmm...look here, it's like this:

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port

And the bus is interrupted at a very last resort

And the access of the memory makes your floppy disk abort

Then the socket packet pocket has an error to report.

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash

And the double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash

And your data is corrupted cause the index doesn't hash

Then your situation's hopeless, and your system's gonna crash!

If the label on the cable on the table at your house

Says the network is connected to the button on your mouse

But your packets want to tunnel unto another protocol

That's repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall,

And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss

So your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse

Then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang

'Cuz sure as I'm a poet, the sucker's gonna hang!

When the copy of your floppy's getting sloppy in the disk

And the macrocode instructions cause unnecessary risk

Then you'll have to flash the memory and you'll want to RAM your ROM.

Quickly turn off the computer and be sure to tell your Mom!

You forgot to attribute that "poem" to the guy who wrote it.

Gene_Ziegler@cornell.edu I believe.

So, you SHOULD be able to do a Nero-thing, finish, close, open and do an EMC8-thing, finish, and close.

Neither program should even know that the other even exists on your computer.

Well, it looks like they both know, watch each other, and throw fits when the other enters the room.

The packet-writing thing (InCD vs DirectCD/Drag to Disc) is a no-no, because the two programs are like monkeys trying to swing off the same hooks in the operating system. They collide, and both fall down.

However for writing standard CDs/DVDs I never have a problem. I regularly do a Nero-thing, close, and then do an EMC8-thing. There's no hissy-fits and each program works well without interfering with the other.

There are differences - one doesn't like the other's ISOs some times, and the other doesn't like writing to a multi-session disc started by one. I haven't worked out why this is yet, I just keep the discs a bit separate and there's no problems. Each program has its strengths and weaknesses, so I use whichever seems best for the job on hand.

I googled .dll and got:

1) Short for Dynamic Link Library, a library of executable functions or data that can be used by a Windows application. Typically, a DLL provides one or more particular functions and a program accesses the functions by creating either a static or dynamic link to the DLL. A static link remains constant during program execution while a dynamic link is created by the program as needed. DLLs can also contain just data. DLL files usually end with the extension .dll,.exe., drv, or .fon.

A DLL can be used by several applications at the same time. Some DLLs are provided with the Windows operating system and available for any Windows application. Other DLLs are written for a particular application and are loaded with the application.

I think I de-coded the above.

Windows has a bunch of "stock" .dlls included. Anybody CAN use them.

[but you mention that Mr. Gates changed them so nobody can?]

Other .dlls CAN be written (and included within) an application.

A program, say VW, can do a "static" link to a .dll within VW and it is active as long as VW is running.

Or, same VW, can do a "dynamic" link that just "sits" somewhere awaiting a call. (That "somewhere" COULD be within VW?).

Static links just go away (with the program) when it closes?

So, the dastardly-deed-doers are these dynamic links (and the .dlls that call them) installed by a program, outside a program?

Well, let's shoot these dynamic evil-doers, or have them locked up within programs!

Mr. Gates' organization has changed (some of) them so nobody else can.

Lynn

So it's "hands off" for outside programers, for the "stock" MS .dlls?

That still shouldn't keep programers from making their own .dlls within their programs, and, if they MUST stick a .dll into Windows System, then one named Wordperfectpunt.dll should only obey WP orders?

No, it means that if a program (say, ECDC 5) uses a .dll, and microsoft changs it (say, WinPlayer 9), then the program (ECDC 5) doens't work anymore. (WinPlayer 9 doesn't come back out short of a complete reformat and reinstall.)

Lynn

BREAKING NEWS

The blank CD that I mailed out on the 25th is back.

It's filled with the update.

VERY hard to complain about that kind of service! :)

I'll have a look and install later and make a report.

What version is that? They just released a new version last week 7.0.8.2!

cdanteek