tsantee

Toast 10 improves extraction from VIDEO_TS folders

Question

While experimenting with possible solutions to some other topics in this forum I came across a change in Toast 10 from previous versions that could be a real time saver for some users compared with Toast 7 through 9.

This is for those instances when one is starting with a VIDEO_TS folder or non-encrypted DVD and wants to create a compilation DVD with a menu, or wants to convert PAL to NTSC (or NTSC to PAL) or wants to clip one of more segments for use in a new DVD or convert to other format. The first step to do this in Toast 7, 8 and 9 is to choose DVD video as the format in the Video window, place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop (or insert the non-encrypted DVD) and use the Toast Media Browser to select the desired video titles and drag them from the browser to the main Toast window. This enabled Toast to extract the MPEG files from the VOBs in the VIDEO_TS folder. This was necessary because Toast 7, 8 and 9 had trouble working directly with sets of VOB files.

Toast 10, based on my observation so far, doesn't need this with many (but not all) VIDEO_TS folders. One can select DVD video as the format in the Video window (or Video Files in the Convert window) and drag the VIDEO_TS folder directly to the main window. New in Toast 10, both an Edit and an Extract button appear next to each title. Clicking the Extract button opens the Toast Video Player where markers can be placed for trimming segments. Clicking the Edit button opens the window to edit the menu text. An additional Edit button appears in that window which also opens the Toast Video Player.

As a test I used a non-encrypted NTSC DVD of mine and instructed Toast to transcode it into a PAL DVD. It worked perfectly directly from the source disc without having to do any advance extraction.

If you want to convert to another format selected clips for video contained in a VIDEO_TS folder (or non-encrypted DVD) in Toast 10, choose Video Files as the setting in the Convert window and drag in your VIDEO_TS folder. Click the Extract button to mark your clips in the Toast Video Player and choose Save. Now you can convert just those marked clips.

This hasn't worked with every VIDEO_TS folder I've tried. Roxio has video tutorial HERE on how to do this using the Media Browser to access the video rather than directly dragging the VIDEO_TS folder into Toast.

Addendum:

I found another new feature in Toast 10 that is related to VIDEO_TS folders. In previous versions you needed to place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop or in the movies folder in order for it to be seen by the Toast Media Browser. Now there is a little folder icon that appears next to the top button when DVD is selected. Clicking that icon opens a file window that lets you find your VIDEO_TS folder wherever it may be. Very nice!

Edited by tsantee

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet