dnettles

Audio Problem While Converting Video_ts To Mpeg-4

Question

hi! i am trying to convert a DVD into MPEG4 files. i am using creator 2009 and my laptop is an HP pavilion running windows vista home premium.

i open creator, click Video-Movies, and select Copy and Convert DVD-Video. Roxio Video Copy & Convert opens, i select Add Movies, and then the Media Selector box opens. i have copied the VIDEO_TS files from the DVD on to my computer, and i select them and hit "OK". the files are now added to the Video Copy & Convert box.

when i hit the "Preview/Trim Movie" button is when it get strange...

the Preview/Trim Movie box opens, and at this point the movie plays, but the audio is just a huge LOUD wall of white noise/static with a tiny, tiny little bit of the actual audio underneath it.

i set the start point and set the end point, and (just to test) Save As an MPEG-4. once it's done, the MPEG-4 plays on my Quicktime player and my FLC player, but there is NO audio whatsoever.

any ideas?

(i have successfully done all this with no problem with 2 other DVD's, which makes me think there must be something different about the DVD i am attempting to convert... OR there is some setting in Roxio i am overlooking)

thanks!

dan

4 answers to this question

Perhaps the problem is your Source file?

Try a completely different Source

Then open VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced) and Add the source file to it. How does it play in the Preview pane?

thanks Jim and Beerman...

i tried several dvd files in VideoWave. The audio works for all of them, except for the one i'm trying to convert.

i spoke with the person who made the dvd for me. he said he left the audio "as uncompressed 24 bit 48000 k audio" (it's a dvd of my band performing, so i think he wanted to keep the audio at a high quality).

so could this be the problem? i looked thru most of the settings for a "24 bit" option, but haven't had luck yet.

i can convert the files on HandBrake with no problems, but it seems like Creator should be able to do this...

Beerman: i haven't tried the AC3 filter codec... i will research it and see if it addresses the 24 bit audio issue.

best

dan

thanks Jim and Beerman...

i tried several dvd files in VideoWave. The audio works for all of them, except for the one i'm trying to convert.

i spoke with the person who made the dvd for me. he said he left the audio "as uncompressed 24 bit 48000 k audio" (it's a dvd of my band performing, so i think he wanted to keep the audio at a high quality).

so could this be the problem? i looked thru most of the settings for a "24 bit" option, but haven't had luck yet.

i can convert the files on HandBrake with no problems, but it seems like Creator should be able to do this...

Beerman: i haven't tried the AC3 filter codec... i will research it and see if it addresses the 24 bit audio issue.

best

dan

I think that all versions of Roxio can only handle up to 16 bit audio. The 24 bit could be your problem.