niculou

Usb Capture Device Not Recognized

Question

Ok, I have to admit I'm frustrated. I bought Creator 2009 (from Costco) to copy home movies from mini-DV and Hi8 tapes. The miniDV works great using a firewire. When I originally hooked up the USB capture device, it was recognized by Windows (XP) and showed up as USB 2861 in Roxio video capture. A few days later I went to do the next tape and cannot get anything to work. Windows now says that the USB device is not recognized. When I look at the device list it shows no driver installed. I tried using the USB Capture driver CD to install the driver, but it won't do anything because there is "no signal detected". I also tried to download a driver from the forums here, but it didn't seem to help.

I'm looking for someone a lot smarter than I am to give me some advice.....

Thank you in advance.

Scott

12 answers to this question

Look through the Tips & Tricks article here and see if the device and it's drivers are like the ones I have shown in that article.

If not, with the device plugged in, delete the device in both entries. The start the install for it new, following the instructions carefully.

Ok, I have to admit I'm frustrated. I bought Creator 2009 (from Costco) to copy home movies from mini-DV and Hi8 tapes. The miniDV works great using a firewire. When I originally hooked up the USB capture device, it was recognized by Windows (XP) and showed up as USB 2861 in Roxio video capture. A few days later I went to do the next tape and cannot get anything to work. Windows now says that the USB device is not recognized. When I look at the device list it shows no driver installed. I tried using the USB Capture driver CD to install the driver, but it won't do anything because there is "no signal detected". I also tried to download a driver from the forums here, but it didn't seem to help.

I'm looking for someone a lot smarter than I am to give me some advice.....

Thank you in advance.

Scott

Here is the link to which Jim is referring in his post.

Look through the Tips & Tricks article here and see if the device and it's drivers are like the ones I have shown in that article.

If not, with the device plugged in, delete the device in both entries. The start the install for it new, following the instructions carefully.

Thanks for the quick response. The device manager shows the USB device as an "unknown device" and that there are no drivers to uninstall. Inserting the installation disk (Roxio USB Capture) also shows "no signal detected" and so won't install any driver. The computer recognizes that something has been plugged in because the popup window says "USB Device not recognized". I think it may be because there is no driver to tell it what the device is.

The only difference I can think of between the first time that it worked and now is that I installed the Service Pack 3. I'm not sure if this is the culprit, but I can't think of what else would be.

Thanks.

What USB port are you using? Have you tried any other USB ports? How many USB Devices do you have plugged in?

cd

What USB port are you using? Have you tried any other USB ports? How many USB Devices do you have plugged in?

cd

I am using a Dell Latitude D630 Laptop. It has two USB ports on the back and two on the right side. I've tried using several different ports. The only other USB device plugged in is my mouse.

Try this place the driver disc in a drive, when it loads it should show like this "Can't detect any device".

post-97-1233425308.png

Plug the USB Device in a USB port until you see (Can't detect any device) gone, like the below pic.

post-97-1233425497.png

Then click Driver Installation, when it's done it should look like this.

post-97-1233425591.png

cd

Try this place the driver disc in a drive, when it loads it should show like this "Can't detect any device".

post-97-1233425308.png

Plug the USB Device in a USB port until you see (Can't detect any device) gone, like the below pic.

post-97-1233425497.png

Then click Driver Installation, when it's done it should look like this.

post-97-1233425591.png

cd

I tried what you asked. The "USB Device not recognized" bubble pops up for each of the 4 USB ports. The "no signal detected" at the bottom of the USB capture window never goes away. When I check the device manager under the USB area, it shows a line that says "unknown device". I've tried it with just the usb capture connected and also with the video camera running (in case it sends a signal and would make a difference)

Are you on battery power or AC?

Your PC has to recognize the USB Device the way I described, if not it's the Device or your PC.

cd

Are you on battery power or AC?

Your PC has to recognize the USB Device the way I described, if not it's the Device or your PC.

cd

I wonder if it is the device. I connected it to my desktop PC and the bubbles at the bottom of the screen first said "Found new hardware" then "USB installed". A few seconds later the third bubble popped up and said "USB not recognized". I had the Roxio Capture software running the entire time and the "no signal detected" never went away.

I wonder if it is the device. I connected it to my desktop PC and the bubbles at the bottom of the screen first said "Found new hardware" then "USB installed". A few seconds later the third bubble popped up and said "USB not recognized". I had the Roxio Capture software running the entire time and the "no signal detected" never went away.

First you don't answer questions, only ask them.

Is the above anything close to the way I told you to install the device?

You want to open the capture software and watch bubbles?

cd

First you don't answer questions, only ask them.

Is the above anything close to the way I told you to install the device?

You want to open the capture software and watch bubbles?

cd

When I said bubbles, I meant the small popup windows that were giving information about the device not being recognized.

I am on AC power.

The installation procedure you described did not work because the computer never recognized the device and no signal was detected in the USB capture software. It wouldn't let me install the driver because it couldn't detect a signal.

When I said bubbles, I meant the small popup windows that were giving information about the device not being recognized.

I am on AC power.

The installation procedure you described did not work because the computer never recognized the device and no signal was detected in the USB capture software. It wouldn't let me install the driver because it couldn't detect a signal.

It wouldn't let you install the driver because the computer never recognized the device!

Until the computer recognizes the USB Device it won't work.

cd