• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 niculou

niculou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

Ok, I have to admit I'm frustrated.  I bought Creator 2009 (from Costco) to copy home movies from mini-DV and Hi8 tapes.  The miniDV works great using a firewire.  When I originally hooked up the USB capture device, it was recognized by Windows (XP) and showed up as USB 2861 in Roxio video capture.  A few days later I went to do the next tape and cannot get anything to work.  Windows now says that the USB device is not recognized.  When I look at the device list it shows no driver installed.  I tried using the USB Capture driver CD to install the driver, but it won't do anything because there is "no signal detected".  I also tried to download a driver from the forums here, but it didn't seem to help.

I'm looking for someone a lot smarter than I am to give me some advice.....

Thank you in advance.

Scott

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,969 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

Look through the Tips & Tricks article here and see if the device and it's drivers are like the ones I have shown in that article.

If not, with the device plugged in, delete the device in both entries. The start the install for it new, following the instructions carefully.

Posted Image

#3 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,880 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (niculou @ Jan 30 2009, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I have to admit I'm frustrated.  I bought Creator 2009 (from Costco) to copy home movies from mini-DV and Hi8 tapes.  The miniDV works great using a firewire.  When I originally hooked up the USB capture device, it was recognized by Windows (XP) and showed up as USB 2861 in Roxio video capture.  A few days later I went to do the next tape and cannot get anything to work.  Windows now says that the USB device is not recognized.  When I look at the device list it shows no driver installed.  I tried using the USB Capture driver CD to install the driver, but it won't do anything because there is "no signal detected".  I also tried to download a driver from the forums here, but it didn't seem to help.

I'm looking for someone a lot smarter than I am to give me some advice.....

Thank you in advance.

Scott

Here is the link to which Jim is referring in his post.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#4 niculou

niculou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (Jim_Hardin @ Jan 30 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look through the Tips & Tricks article here and see if the device and it's drivers are like the ones I have shown in that article.

If not, with the device plugged in, delete the device in both entries. The start the install for it new, following the instructions carefully.

Thanks for the quick response.  The device manager shows the USB device as an "unknown device" and that there are no drivers to uninstall.  Inserting the installation disk (Roxio USB Capture) also shows "no signal detected" and so won't install any driver.  The computer recognizes that something has been plugged in because the popup window says "USB Device not recognized".  I think it may be because there is no driver to tell it what the device is.

The only difference I can think of between the first time that it worked and now is that I installed the Service Pack 3.  I'm not sure if this is the culprit, but I can't think of what else would be.

Thanks.

#5 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,387 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:49 AM

What USB port are you using? Have you tried any other USB ports? How many USB Devices do you have plugged in?

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#6 niculou

niculou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Jan 31 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What USB port are you using? Have you tried any other USB ports? How many USB Devices do you have plugged in?

cd

I am using a Dell Latitude D630 Laptop.  It has two USB ports on the back and two on the right side.  I've tried using several different ports.  The only other USB device plugged in is my mouse.

#7 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,387 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:15 AM

Try this place the driver disc in a drive, when it loads it should show like this "Can't detect any device".

NoDevice.png

Plug the USB Device in a USB port until you see  (Can't detect any device) gone, like the below pic.

NoDevice1.png

Then click Driver Installation, when it's done it should look like this.

Reinstall.png

cd

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#8 niculou

niculou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Jan 31 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try this place the driver disc in a drive, when it loads it should show like this "Can't detect any device".

NoDevice.png

Plug the USB Device in a USB port until you see  (Can't detect any device) gone, like the below pic.

NoDevice1.png

Then click Driver Installation, when it's done it should look like this.

Reinstall.png

cd

I tried what you asked.  The "USB Device not recognized" bubble pops up for each of the 4 USB ports.  The "no signal detected" at the bottom of the USB capture window never goes away.  When I check the device manager under the USB area, it shows a line that says "unknown device".  I've tried it with just the usb capture connected and also with the video camera running (in case it sends a signal and would make a difference)

#9 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,387 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

Are you on battery power or AC?

Your PC has to recognize the USB Device the way I described, if not it's the Device or your PC.

cd
cd
Spoiler

#10 niculou

niculou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Jan 31 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you on battery power or AC?

Your PC has to recognize the USB Device the way I described, if not it's the Device or your PC.

cd

I wonder if it is the device.  I connected it to my desktop PC and the bubbles at the bottom of the screen first said "Found new hardware" then "USB installed".  A few seconds later the third bubble popped up and said "USB not recognized".  I had the Roxio Capture software running the entire time and the "no signal detected" never went away.

#11 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,387 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (niculou @ Jan 31 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if it is the device.  I connected it to my desktop PC and the bubbles at the bottom of the screen first said "Found new hardware" then "USB installed".  A few seconds later the third bubble popped up and said "USB not recognized".  I had the Roxio Capture software running the entire time and the "no signal detected" never went away.

First you don't answer questions, only ask them.

Is the above anything close to the way I told you to install the device?

You want to open the capture software and watch bubbles?

cd
cd
Spoiler

#12 niculou

niculou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Jan 31 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First you don't answer questions, only ask them.

Is the above anything close to the way I told you to install the device?

You want to open the capture software and watch bubbles?

cd

When I said bubbles, I meant the small popup windows that were giving information about the device not being recognized.
I am on AC power.
The installation procedure you described did not work because the computer never recognized the device and no signal was detected in the USB capture software.  It wouldn't let me install the driver because it couldn't detect a signal.

#13 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,387 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (niculou @ Jan 31 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I said bubbles, I meant the small popup windows that were giving information about the device not being recognized.
I am on AC power.
The installation procedure you described did not work because the computer never recognized the device and no signal was detected in the USB capture software.  It wouldn't let me install the driver because it couldn't detect a signal.

It wouldn't let you install the driver because the computer never recognized the device!

Until the computer recognizes the USB Device it won't work.

cd
cd
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users