• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ron R.

Ron R.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

The playback video in the Capture Now screen is distorted and choppy? Any ideas for a fix for this?

#2 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:41 AM

Your computer specs please - CPU, RAM and Graphics
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#3 REDWAGON

REDWAGON

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,595 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

We seem to be seeing more of these types of problems with the VHS to DVD program, the USB Capture Device and the associated drives for the drvice. There hasn't been any decisive reason that I know of to date that in particular causes a distorted or choppy video, or even garbled audio, but the best suggestion is to make sure that the program installation is done correctly with the USB device in place in a USB port on the computer. And preferrably use a USB port on the back of the computer directly from the MB.

If you are running Vista, make sure that it has been updated to SP1. Also, if you have Roxio's Creator 2009 installed, be aware that VHS to DVD and C2009 do no co-exist together.

Frank...
REDWAGON

4 Custom Built ASUS/ Intel Computers

3 with Windows 7 Pro Retail Operating Systems
2 with Windows 8.1 Pro/WMC Operating Systems

1 HP laptop with W7 Pro OS
1 Apple iPAD2 & 1 iPhone 5 OS7

#4 jonatsonic

jonatsonic

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Interests:I am the Community and Content Manager at Roxio. I'm not necessarily a tech, but can help you resolve issues, offer advice, and any suggestions for new KB articles are welcome.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (REDWAGON @ Feb 17 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We seem to be seeing more of these types of problems with the VHS to DVD program, the USB Capture Device and the associated drives for the device. There hasn't been any decisive reason that I know of to date that in particular causes a distorted or choppy video, or even garbled audio, but the best suggestion is to make sure that the program installation is done correctly with the USB device in place in a USB port on the computer. And preferably use a USB port on the back of the computer directly from the MB.

If you are running Vista, make sure that it has been updated to SP1. Also, if you have Roxio's Creator 2009 installed, be aware that VHS to DVD and C2009 do no co-exist together.

Frank...

I have been working on an article that sums up these suggestions, Frank.

One thing that is also a possibility is that the many people may only have a  USB 1.0 port available in their computer and simply don't have the data burst rate to capture video properly.

The best way to tell if the computer has USB 2.0, is to:

• Right-click My Computer
  • Click on Properties
  • Click on the Hardware tab
  • Click on the Device Manager button
  • Scroll down as needed until you see Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  • Expand that by clicking on the boxed plus sign in front of Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  • Somewhere in that list should be a driver that says "Enhanced" meaning it's USB 2.0.

Each of those drivers do not represent each one of the USB ports, so the "Enhanced" covers all available ports. However, ports on the front of a computer can be run from a different part of the motherboard, I'd still follow your suggestion of using the port on the back of the machine.

If you do not see the "Enhanced" USB 2.0 driver, you may need to visit your computer or motherboard manufacturer's website to verify that your computer came with USB 2.0 to begin with. If it did and you still don't see it, the manufacturer may have a driver available for download.

Jon

#5 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:17 AM

Another option Jon would be to fit a USB 2 PCI card to the computer (if it isn't a laptop)

Trust do a 5 port USB 2 PCI card reasonably cheaply
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#6 jonatsonic

jonatsonic

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Interests:I am the Community and Content Manager at Roxio. I'm not necessarily a tech, but can help you resolve issues, offer advice, and any suggestions for new KB articles are welcome.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (gi7omy @ Feb 17 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another option Jon would be to fit a USB 2 PCI card to the computer (if it isn't a laptop)

Trust do a 5 port USB 2 PCI card reasonably cheaply

Good point. A quick scan of the Internets says it's about $15-30 bucks average.

Jon

#7 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,562 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

You won't need to look at the Port too hard because it isn't going to get that far!

First you will be issued the Windows warning that a High Speed Device is connected to non-High Speed port!

This screen cap is from my Test PC which came with USB1 and shows the USB2/Firewire card I added.
USB_1_Connection.jpg

Then if you still try to start Capture or P&B, there will be nothing in the preview window although it has a signal…

Posted Image

#8 REDWAGON

REDWAGON

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,595 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

"I have been working on an article that sums up these suggestions, Frank."

That's great Jon. There has been quite a bit of discussion on this particular program and the capture device that comes with it or another Roxio similar device. I think we probably have enough tests and information being supplied now that will make a good article. Thanks Jon.

Frank...

REDWAGON

4 Custom Built ASUS/ Intel Computers

3 with Windows 7 Pro Retail Operating Systems
2 with Windows 8.1 Pro/WMC Operating Systems

1 HP laptop with W7 Pro OS
1 Apple iPAD2 & 1 iPhone 5 OS7

#9 Ron R.

Ron R.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (Ron R. @ Feb 17 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The playback video in the Capture Now screen is distorted and choppy? Any ideas for a fix for this?

I do have Roxio Creator 9 XE installed on my computer. In order for Easy VHS to DVD to work will I have to uninstall Creator?

By the way I have a Dell Dimension 8300, Pentium 4, CPU 3.00 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM and a 128 MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card.

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,562 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (Ron R. @ Feb 18 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do have Roxio Creator 9 XE installed on my computer. In order for Easy VHS to DVD to work will I have to uninstall Creator?

By the way I have a Dell Dimension 8300, Pentium 4, CPU 3.00 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM and a 128 MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card.

V2D doesn't seem to play well with others…

Uninstall the V9 and try it. (set a restore point)

But you may have to uninstall and reinstall V2D to get it to work.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users