7 replies to this topic

#1 jfcsomerset

jfcsomerset

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

I need a help!

Until now I was able to burn DVDs from mpg files. I am able to create the disc and to convert the video but after inserting the DVD in the E drive, the screen shows the burning process but nothing happens.

Can you help me?

Jfcsomerset :)

#2 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

As you probably know, this could be a software or a hardware problem.

It sounds like the program thinks it's writing to a DVD.    

Do you have any other DVD burning programs (maybe one that came with the DVD burner)?   If you do, try burning a DVD with that program.

There are cleaners to clean the DVD burning mechanism in the DVD burner.   Those are available at most computer and some office supply stores.

Now some manufacturer's have software on their website to test the burner itself and I'd check there.

It's also possible that you need an update to the burner from the manufacturer.   Some burners require updates to be able to burn to newer DVDs.

Please let me know what you find out.  If it's not a hardware problem, then we can troubleshoot the software.
ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

#3 jfcsomerset

jfcsomerset

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for your help!

I used a cleaner to clean the DVD burning mechanism and I was able to burn 1 DVD but unable to copy an other one and the system failed. I try to burn my mpg file using Sonics DVD burner and it failed. I finaly restarted  the all create process and it failed again. I got a message error:

E80041930 track writer error wait failed [T7123] but the help system did not provide to me any advice.

Something that may help: when I inserting a DVD in the E drive the Dell media experience does not regognize the presence of a DVD. In other word I cannot read DVD on my computer.

Thanks

View Postmlpasley, on May 2 2006, 02:56 PM, said:

As you probably know, this could be a software or a hardware problem.

It sounds like the program thinks it's writing to a DVD.    

Do you have any other DVD burning programs (maybe one that came with the DVD burner)?   If you do, try burning a DVD with that program.

There are cleaners to clean the DVD burning mechanism in the DVD burner.   Those are available at most computer and some office supply stores.

Now some manufacturer's have software on their website to test the burner itself and I'd check there.

It's also possible that you need an update to the burner from the manufacturer.   Some burners require updates to be able to burn to newer DVDs.

Please let me know what you find out.  If it's not a hardware problem, then we can troubleshoot the software.

#4 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

The fact that you cannot write a DVD with either the Roxio or Sonic program, probably indicates that you've got a hardware problem.    

You've tried seeing if there are any updates for your burner on the Dell website?  (or the DVD burner manufacturer if you added it later.)  

Track write errors can be caused by a DVD that isn't being read correctly by the computer.   Strange as it may seem, the speed or dye used on the DVD can cause this problem.   Are these new DVDs or the same spindle of DVDs that you've used in the past?    Sometimes an update to the burner will solve the track error message.

If that's not the problem, then it sounds like you might have to replace that burner.   This is the original burner that came with the computer, right?
ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI

#5 jfcsomerset

jfcsomerset

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:27 PM

Hi,

Some new facts that may help. It looks that I have hardware problem.

I did the Dell boot menu with the F12 key
I did the boot to utility partition key 9
Hardware diagnostic
Express test

I got an error code: 0F00.133D
plus a message: Msg IDE device failed incompatible CD for testing.

When I insert a CD with pictures in the E drive that works perfectly but not with a DVD.

This is the same spindle of DVDs that I have used in the past.

I tried to update my burner on the Dell website, but I get lost. May be you can help me to find the right pathway in the website.

Can you help me to resolve this?

Thanks.

jfcsomerset

View Postmlpasley, on May 3 2006, 09:37 PM, said:

The fact that you cannot write a DVD with either the Roxio or Sonic program, probably indicates that you've got a hardware problem.    

You've tried seeing if there are any updates for your burner on the Dell website?  (or the DVD burner manufacturer if you added it later.)  

Track write errors can be caused by a DVD that isn't being read correctly by the computer.   Strange as it may seem, the speed or dye used on the DVD can cause this problem.   Are these new DVDs or the same spindle of DVDs that you've used in the past?    Sometimes an update to the burner will solve the track error message.

If that's not the problem, then it sounds like you might have to replace that burner.   This is the original burner that came with the computer, right?

#6 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:41 AM

I don't have a Dell so I don't know exactly where on the site you would find the updates, but on most websites, it's under the Support tab. I think they also have a discussion board.

If it's the same spindle of DVDs, then it really looks like a hardware problem. That's what I suspected when you originally said that you'd burned DVDs in the past and all of a sudden, you couldn't write a DVD. The program thought that the DVD was being written, but nothing was on the DVD.

If you had bought a new spindle of DVDs, then it could have been a problem with the burner recognizing the  brand of DVD.

DVD burners have two write heads, one for the CD burning part and another one for DVD burning. My guess would be that the DVD head isn't working. The computer can recognize a CD, but it cannot read that DVD ( indicated by the error message).

If the computer is out of warranty, you could spend a lot of money getting the burner tested or you could replace it with another internal or external burner ( if you have a USB 2.0 port). Now most burners come with DVD burning software and don't discard that disk. Sometimes you have to make the movie with VW and burn with another program because this program is several years old and might not recognize newer burners.

Unfortunately, DVD burners do fail and usually they're out of warranty when the do.

Edited by mlpasley, 05 May 2006 - 05:42 AM.

ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;

#7 Jan

Jan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:42 PM

View Postjfcsomerset, on May 2 2006, 01:47 PM, said:

I need a help!

Until now I was able to burn DVDs from mpg files. I am able to create the disc and to convert the video but after inserting the DVD in the E drive, the screen shows the burning process but nothing happens.

Can you help me?

We have VideoWave 5 (upgraded from 4). We haven't used this software for quite a while and are trying to use it now. We created a video, then prepared it to put on a DVD. It took forever and then failed.

I am beginning to think this software is junk. Would it help to upgrade to 8.0. Have you gotten an aswer to your problem?

J :huh:

#8 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:12 PM

View PostJan, on Jul 11 2006, 11:42 PM, said:

We have VideoWave 5 (upgraded from 4). We haven't used this software for quite a while and are trying to use it now. We created a video, then prepared it to put on a DVD. It took forever and then failed.

I am beginning to think this software is junk. Would it help to upgrade to 8.0. Have you gotten an aswer to your problem?

J :)

You didn't give a lot of information.   What do you mean by it 'failed'?    

Can you see anything actually burned to the DVD?   What kind of error message did you get?   Have you ever been able to burn a DVD?   Are you using the same DVD burner that you used in the past?   Same kind of DVDs?

I've used VideoWave 5 successfully to make a movie and burn a DVD.  

If you want to upgrade, you'll have to have a computer that can use version 8.  

I suspect that the first poster had a hardware problem because they could burn, then couldn't burn and there were no error messages.

A little more information might help diagnose your problem without you having to invest in more software.
ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users