cdanteek

Cleaning your DVD Burner with a cleaning disc

Question

I have been advised not to believe everything I read on the net!

I don't, but these recommendations by Plextor and Pioneer on the use of a lens cleaning disc.

I have read post after post encouraging the use of such a device!

It's your drive it's your $ do what you want. I'm just telling you Drive manufactures don't recommend

it.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/faq/...0792817,00.html

Pioneer Service and Support > Business FAQs > Support > DVD Computer Drives

DVD Computer Drives

Q. Is it ok to clean my Pioneer drive with a cleaning disc?

A. Pioneer does not recommend the use of cleaning disc products for DVD drives. These discs were originally designed for CD drives and could damage the DVD drive. If the unit looks very dirty/dusty and is not under warranty, you might try a short burst of Electronics-grade (sterile, filtered, moisture-free) canned air aimed at the center of the drive to see if that will resolve the issue, otherwise it would be best to have the drive serviced.

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/g00048.htm

Article ID. G00048 Does Plextor recommend cleaning the inside of CD drives?

Plextor drives are sealed against external contamination, so in a normal computer environment and with normal use, a drive should not require internal cleaning. However, if your drive has been in use for some time, is now out of warranty, and has just recently started to exhibit read/write problems, you may want to use a short blast of Electronics-grade (sterile, filtered, moisture-free) canned air aimed at the center of the drive. Do not use any solvent-based cleaners, and do not use an air compressor, as damage can be inflicted upon the drive by the high pressure blast. If your drive is in warranty and you are experiencing problems, it would be best to send the drive to Plextor without invoking this step. Under no circumstances is the use of a CD Cleaning Disc recommended. Cleaning Discs that use a felt pad can scratch the laser lens surface and render the drive inoperable. Some cleaning discs with brushes may also scratch the lens and, since these cleaning discs are often out of balance, their operation can be very noisy.

cdanteek

7 answers to this question

I guess I've been lucky but how in the world can so many 'reputable' sites recommend totally opposite opinions.

Actually, I clean mine about 3 times a year and I get new systems almost every 2 1/2 to 3 years so I guess 6-9 cleanings don't make a difference though I do have an 6 year old HP drive that still runs fine (slow).

I guess I've been lucky but how in the world can so many 'reputable' sites recommend totally opposite opinions.

Actually, I clean mine about 3 times a year and I get new systems almost every 2 1/2 to 3 years so I guess 6-9 cleanings don't make a difference though I do have an 6 year old HP drive that still runs fine (slow).

I am beginning to think that my using a lens cleaner, killed my Plextor 716A. It will write to CD's and DVD-R media, but it will not write to my +R Verbs or any other +R media. I have only cleaned it twice, in the past 14 months.

I have never used one on my burners because I have been told by several sources

that it is not recommended. I wish they would come out with one opinion so that

you would know what is best. :)

I have been told by several sources

that it is not recommended.

Was that techie Son one of those sources?

cdanteek

Was that techie Son one of those sources?

cdanteek

Actually no, I never asked him that question. I try to seek out information on my own and not bug him too much. But if it is something really important I will run it by him. One of the sources was a guy at office depot, ok now, I know what your thinking, :huh: but he is really a knowledgeable guy, and one of the few sales clerks that I think knows what he is talking about. I have also read it other places. Sounds like the jury is out on this one. :)

he is really a knowledgeable guy, and one of the few sales clerks that I think knows what he is talking about.

We had such a young fellow at our local Best Buy. He lasted a year and a half. Six months after he graduated college, He was promoted to BB Corporate in Web Page Design. Everyone else seems to have passed BB BS course though!

cdanteek