• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jonh

jonh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

Hi, Hope someone can help with a quick question.  I have just purchased Easy VHS to DVD and want to use Plug and Burn to directly copy old family VHS movies to DVD.  My question is how long a video should I be able to fit on a standard 4.7GbDVD in SP DVD format?  My tapes are all three hour and I suspect if I just let them run to completion it will blow the size of the disc - but will probably not tell me this until its spent 3 hours reading the tape and a couple of hors encoding!

Do I need to set it to run 1 hour at a time or something.

Thanks for any advice!

Jon

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:57 AM

There is not a Quick answer…

A 4.7Gb DVD holds 1 hour of DVD Movie at HQ. Anything longer will fit but at a cost in video quality.

That said, VHS isn't all that great to begin with.

Plug & Burn: First it is very risky and no one with any experience uses it! If you want to try it, you will find it will do 1 hour or 1 1/2. None of us ever could get the 2 hour to activate???

P_B_2___d.jpg

The risk is this – you spend 1 1/2 hours capturing followed by 1/2 to 1 more hour rendering and burning and it fails at the end! So you wasted maybe 2 – 2 1/2 hours and all you got was a coaster…

The rest of us Capture which gives us a file we can edit, removing those foot shots, then we build a DVD with that edited clip and burn. Should it fail, we were smart enough to save our Project, so we simply reload it.

Get yourself a disc or 2 of DVD RW to play with. Save the good discs, like Verbatim, for the final burn.

Posted Image

#3 jonh

jonh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (Jim_Hardin @ Mar 17 2009, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is not a Quick answer…

A 4.7Gb DVD holds 1 hour of DVD Movie at HQ. Anything longer will fit but at a cost in video quality.

That said, VHS isn't all that great to begin with.

Plug & Burn: First it is very risky and no one with any experience uses it! If you want to try it, you will find it will do 1 hour or 1 1/2. None of us ever could get the 2 hour to activate???

P_B_2___d.jpg

The risk is this – you spend 1 1/2 hours capturing followed by 1/2 to 1 more hour rendering and burning and it fails at the end! So you wasted maybe 2 – 2 1/2 hours and all you got was a coaster…

The rest of us Capture which gives us a file we can edit, removing those foot shots, then we build a DVD with that edited clip and burn. Should it fail, we were smart enough to save our Project, so we simply reload it.

Get yourself a disc or 2 of DVD RW to play with. Save the good discs, like Verbatim, for the final burn.

Thanks for the response Jim and it all makes sense.

I have gome on to trim my 2+hour SP Video project down to 1hr2mins and tried to burn it.  With fit to disc it wants an extra 28 minutes and if I try to burn at SP it wants 10Gb!  I must be doing something wrong as surely it should be possible to fit an hour Video on quite easily!

All seems very complicated!

Also is there an easy way to simply split a videa in 2?  It took me ages.  I had 5 panels of video, and had to chop the last two off and trim the middle one.  Surely there should be just a simple "cut here" and drop the remainder?

Thanks for any further info or advice.

Jon

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

Forget the bytes, this is Video and we work in TIME!

MyDVD will tell you "Time Remaining:" at the bottom. If it says "-01:08:27", it is saying your production is too long by 1 hour, 8 minutes and 27 seconds.

(sometimes you have to force it to change – Tools, Validate)

I always say about 1 hour because there are other variables… Menus, Chapters, background audio, motion menus, etc. all cost space! The fancier you get the less time for your movie.

I have one test project – No Menus and it is 1 hour long. MyDVD tells me I have 6 minutes and 41 seconds remaining on the disc.

There is no truly easy way to split a project or clip. – Well maybe there is???

Try this with MyDVD: (for a test start a New Project and add your movie)

Open your test project. Edit Movie – at the 1 hour point, Split & Delete the last half.
Back to MyDVD and do a Save As calling it Split 1.

Open your test project, Edit Movie split at 1 hour, and delete the first part.
Back to MyDVD and Save As – Split 2.

Load test project – all there?

Load Split 1 – first hour?

Load Split 2 – last part?

Please try this and let me know, it never worked in earlier version but seems to in this one!

Posted Image

#5 Flanman

Flanman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

Interested to read your threads guys. Did you resolve your problem Jon?

I uploaded a 60min Hi8 tape to my hard drive and it took up 14gb & therefore wouldn't write to a standard DVD.

I cannot see anything within the help section about compressing the file - am I making a schoolboy error?

Keith

#6 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (Flanman @ Mar 21 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
am I making a schoolboy error?
Keith

Yes you are…

Now click on the Video-Movies tab and the Create DVDs button and watch the magic begin!

Posted Image

#7 jonh

jonh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE (Jim_Hardin @ Mar 22 2009, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes you are…

Now click on the Video-Movies tab and the Create DVDs button and watch the magic begin!

Thanks for the responses and interest gents - its appreciated.  I'm still playing this end and must say that I am able to make some reasonable DVDs but it can take a very long time!!  Today I had imported an hours worth of video at DVD HQ and then set it off to burn, maintaining the HQ quality.  It has taken approx 8 hours to encode and burn!!!  (thus I haven't had too much time to experiment with splitting videos yet!).

The final quality of the HQ DVD is good.  Obvously my PC may be slowing me down but I am not too poorly set up.  I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1520, with 3Gb Ram and plenty of spare disc, Core 2 Duo T750 processor.

If I manage to speed up the process or easily split files I'll post a follow up.

Thanks and regards

Jon

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (jonh @ Mar 22 2009, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the responses and interest gents - its appreciated.  I'm still playing this end and must say that I am able to make some reasonable DVDs but it can take a very long time!!  Today I had imported an hours worth of video at DVD HQ and then set it off to burn, maintaining the HQ quality.  It has taken approx 8 hours to encode and burn!!!  (thus I haven't had too much time to experiment with splitting videos yet!).

The final quality of the HQ DVD is good.  Obvously my PC may be slowing me down but I am not too poorly set up.  I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1520, with 3Gb Ram and plenty of spare disc, Core 2 Duo T750 processor.

If I manage to speed up the process or easily split files I'll post a follow up.

Thanks and regards

Jon

Video takes time. My 2.2Ghz Core 2 will do 1 hour of video in about 8 1/2 minutes. My 3.0Ghz P4 takes 18 minutes. This is with a compliant video and output to the same level.

Going to AVCHD files – 12 hours for the P4 vs 4 1/2 for the Core 2…

First thing to learn – a 4.7Gb disc holds 1 hour of Video… Trying to put more on degrades quality and takes a lot longer.

Then - Quality counts! Everyone will remember the crappy video you showed them, but no one will remember how fast you made it…

The V2D software is based on the Creator 2009 Suite. Browse there and in the Tips & Tricks to see what this software can do. It is impressive!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users