Roxio Community

New To Toast - What Settings Are Best For Burning A Dvd?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 marekn

marekn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hi,

I'm new to Toast - what settings are best for burning a DVD? (got it today), and primarily I'd like to burn DVDs (single layer) of SD DV (.dv & .mov file), so what settings (& where) should I choose for burning DVD:
- up to one hour worth of material; and:
- up to 2 hours worth of material ?

I noticed some "Automatic" and "Custom" settings' choices, but not sure what exactly to do/set/choose...

The objective is to get the BEST QUALITY possible in both cases (when 1-hr and/or 2- hrs long).

p.s.

What I really do NOT know is what should I enter (for the BEST QUALITY) in the ENCODING Tab fields when choosing CUSTOM (the "Automatic" is kind of self-explanatory - there is only one bar to be moved through Good, Better and Best, so I'd choose BEST, but - is this really the BEST QUALITY that I can get out of the Toast 10.0.1?).

What to enter in the ENCODING Tab fields when choosing CUSTOM (from top down):
VIDEO:
- Video Format (MPEG-2 is there and this is what I need, so that one is OK)
- Average Bit Rate?
- Maximum Bit Rate?
- Motion Estimation? (and - what is the check box for: "Half-PEL" ?)
- Reencoding?
- Field Dominance?
- Aspect Ratio? (what is the difference if I leave it at "Automatic", or I choose "4:3"?
AUDIO:
- Audio Format?
- Data Rate?
- Dynamic Range Compression? (what is this check box for?)

Thank you.

Edited by marekn, 22 March 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#2 marekn

marekn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

p.s.

I don't know if this make any difference, but I want to burn what I did in iMovie6 and FCE4 (.dv & /or .mov files), and - after studying the Manual, I came to understand some of it, but some is not covered and still important (I still welcome answers/suggestions to all my questions above).
I see that the following could be answered based on the experience of using Toast:
* while setting a burning DVD project, after importing the movie file:
- moving the Custom Encoding sliders, they eventually go orange and then red: What is REALLY bad? and what is acceptable? How many little bars from the end should not be "covered" with the "Space Remaining" bar (going from green to red)? How to recognize the limit? And what happens while playing back the DVD when they go red during burning?
- What is best (as to accomplish the best quality DVD) value (to target), how many Mbps: in Average Bit Rate, and in: Maximum Bit Rate?

It would be awesome to find out - please help...

Thank you.

Edited by marekn, 22 March 2009 - 11:04 PM.

#3 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

Choosing Best quality in the Automatic setting is an excellent choice.

If you want to use the Custom settings then turn on Half-Pel which is especially good for videos with lots of action. It also nearly doubles the encoding time. I think (but am not sure) that the "Best" Automatic setting also turns on Half-Pel.

The Average bit rate is more important than the maximum one. You can estimate what the average bit rate can be that fills the disc (but too high a bit rate can cause playback problems with some DVD players). I'd keep the average below 8 mbps. You can choose Save as Disc Image so if you end up with a file too big for a single layer disc you can use Toast's Fit-to-DVD in the Copy window to bring the disc image down to the size that fits the disc. You can fit about 73 minutes of video at 8 mbps with audio at 192 kbps to a single-layer disc.

The widescreen setting is for videos shot in the 16:9 format while the 4:3 setting is for the traditional TV aspect ratio. Field dominance is best left at automatic. If the resulting video has very shaky action scenes then the field dominance is wrong and a different setting needs to be made.

The audio is fine at 192 kbps with the dynamic range compression turned off. Compressing the dynamic range makes less difference between loud and soft portions of the audio track. If you have something where the highest quality audio is important then you can choose PCM audio. However, this takes up more space on the disc and it will mean lowering the video bit rate for programs more than 60 minutes in total length.

See why I say the Automatic "Best" setting is an excellent way to go?

Edited by tsantee, 22 March 2009 - 09:22 PM.

I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#4 marekn

marekn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

Thank you tsantee - I think I was posting when you did too, so here is an edit of what still burns to be answered... - - after studying the Manual, AND YOUR answer (thanks again!) I came to understand some of it, but some is not covered and still important (the most of all my questions above are answered NOW, Audio set ups, Half-PEL, etc.). - b u t -
I see that the following could be answered based on the experience of using Toast:
* while setting a burning DVD project, after importing the movie file:
- moving the Custom Encoding sliders, they eventually go orange and then red: What is REALLY bad? and what is acceptable? How many little bars from the end should not be "covered" with the "Space Remaining" bar (going from green to red)? How to recognize the limit? And what happens while playing back the DVD when they go red during burning?
- What is best (as to accomplish the best quality DVD) value (to target), how many Mbps: in Average Bit Rate, and in: Maximum Bit Rate?

You say "keep the average below 8 mbps", so is 7.7 OK? and what would be max for Maximum Bit Rate?
My videos are NTSC, so perhaps the "Bottom Field First" would be better than "Automatic"..?
And what the "reencoding" does? and the above questions regarding the meaning of the colors of the "Space Remaining" bar?

#5 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:03 AM

Re-encoding only applies when a video already is in MPEG 2 format, which yours are not. Re-encoding always lowers quality but sometimes is what's needed depending on the video file. Some MPEG 2 videos will get re-encoded even if Never re-encode is checked because they fail to meet the video DVD spec.

If the space-remaining scale is in the red then the settings are too high to fit to a single-layer disc. If you change the scale for a dual-layer disc you'll see it turn back to green. If you choose Save as Disc Image and it ends up being too big for a single-layer disc you can use the Image File setting in the Copy window to fit it to a single-layer disc. This does not involve re-encoding but instead requantizes the video. If you had, say, three hours of video to put on a single-layer disc it might actually look better to use encoding settings for a dual-layer disc and then requantize to a single-layer disc than it would to use lower bit rate settings that fit the single-layer disc in the first place.

If you set the maximum bit rate at 8 mbps and the average anything over 4-5 mbps you'll have very good video. You can set the maximum as high as 9 but I wouldn't set the average higher than 8. You probably won't notice any difference between about 6 and 8 for the average with most videos. But if you later wanted to convert the video back from MPEG 2 to DV then starting with a higher bit rate will get you slightly better quality for the converted video.

Leave Field Dominance at automatic. Different source files can have their field dominance different and Toast needs to use whatever is the case for that source file. Let Toast figure it out.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#6 marekn

marekn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

Thank you again for the excellent answers/explanations; I feel like burning ...very soon...but - I'd like to fully understand the meaning of the colors in "space-remaining" bar: When it is red or green - it's clearly bad or good, no problem there, b u t - what if it is between green and red? How much orange is OK, and what it means for the quality of the DVD and the issue-free playback later? (the bar looks like several little boxes put one after another, so how many - counting from the end of bar - should be left not covered by the orange color? Or - how much of the orange color is OK to be allowed to show up? Except for obvious red - when else is the sign of the issues, while looking at the bar?
(& - off topic - why I can see your photo of the awesome car, but I cannot see mine that I set up in my profile?)

Edited by marekn, 23 March 2009 - 10:54 AM.

#7 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

We'll start with the Avatar. You uploaded what is called a personal photo rather than an Avatar. Near the top of this window (just below your logged in name) click My Controls. On the left side of the window that appears is a link to edit your Avatar. This is where you upload the beautiful photo.

I really pay little attention to the space remaining indicator. It is just a guide. Since Toast's MPEG 2 encoding is a variable bit rate that depends on the complexity of the image in the frame there is uncertainty about how much space actually is going to be required for the encoded video. My sense is the orange is an alert that the settings might end up with a VIDEO_TS folder that is too big to burn to the disc although it should fit for most video content.

If your settings show in the orange area I recommend choosing Save as Disc Image and then burn the disc image using the Image File setting in the Copy window. That way there is no worry about a VIDEO_TS folder that ends up slightly too big for the DVD.

The green, orange and red have nothing to do with picture quality. They just are indicators of what is likely to fit the disc. With DVD encoding it is not at all precise.

#8 marekn

marekn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:10 PM

Thank you. I think that I'm ready to finally try the burning thing; I'll burn using the Automatic, and then trying to maximize the Custom settings in the relation to the size of the same file, and se what is the playback difference - if any...
(so I see that Avatar lets you choose one of the prepared photos - not the personal one...)

#9 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (marekn @ Mar 23 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(so I see that Avatar lets you choose one of the prepared photos - not the personal one...)

Notice there are several Avatar options. The first is to use a preset. The second is a URL. The third is to upload your own.

Picture_1.png

#10 marekn

marekn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

When I click on "Update Avatar Settings" there are only 2 top options, and I do not see (as I do on your screen shot) - the "Upload an image from your computer" option.... There is nothing past the "URL" option...

#11 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (marekn @ Mar 23 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I click on "Update Avatar Settings" there are only 2 top options, and I do not see (as I do on your screen shot) - the "Upload an image from your computer" option.... There is nothing past the "URL" option...

I guess the moderators gave me an option that isn't universally available.

#12 marekn

marekn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

well, it's one nice Moderator... it's OK - enjoy it; I can live without that...

Finished the first burning of 1-hr QT movie (dv out of iMovie), using the Automatic settings, and at first I was little surprised (and a little worry...) that it ONLY took about 30 min ... but it looked OK on TV when played from the DVD (a little bit grainy, and some hues were too much, like skin-tones and reds... as if the process added some reds, or could not handle it well...).

I'll try the custom (mostly following your info - Bit Rate, etc. from your posts); I also have a disc image of the same movie (it is iMovie6 project), so I played with the preview, and I like this very much, so I intend to try this one too (it gives an opportunity to have nice iDVD's menus, which Toast is lacking).

My work-week starts tomorrow, and the hrs are such that perhaps pt.2 of the Toast-experiments will need to wait a week, but I'll report back as soon as...

Thank you for all your help.

Edited by marekn, 23 March 2009 - 08:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users