• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 solercic

solercic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:45 AM

I just got Popcorn 2 and I am trying to get my  dvd to video ipod and I get the MAC OS error: result  code -50. Please help.

#2 ericfoss11

ericfoss11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

View Postsolercic, on May 7 2006, 06:45 AM, said:

I just got Popcorn 2 and I am trying to get my  dvd to video ipod and I get the MAC OS error: result  code -50. Please help.

I bought mine yesterday and am having the same problem.

Eric

#3 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,654 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:08 PM

Are you doing a full disc extraction with your ripping application?
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#4 ericfoss11

ericfoss11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:16 PM

View Posttsantee, on May 7 2006, 12:08 PM, said:

Are you doing a full disc extraction with your ripping application?

Yes, an I have re-extracted it with the same results.

Eric

#5 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,654 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

Sorry, I don't know what's causing this. Here's a description of that error from Apple: "Invalid value passed in a parameter. Your application passed an invalid parameter for dialog options."
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#6 ericfoss11

ericfoss11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

View Posttsantee, on May 7 2006, 03:09 PM, said:

Sorry, I don't know what's causing this. Here's a description of that error from Apple: "Invalid value passed in a parameter. Your application passed an invalid parameter for dialog options."

Interesting, yesterday I spent 46 minutes with some Apple tech support airhead from India whom I could barely understand.  She could not comprehend that the problem was not occuring when attempting to burn a DVD.  I finally asked to talk with her supervisor, and he harshly told me it was not an Apple OS problem, but a Roxio issue.  And to think, I purchased the Mac extended warranty, to be told that.

Roxio knows how to fix the beta version that I paid $30 bucks for yesterday and they had better help all of us with this problem.  I own the earlier version of Popcorn and several copies of Toast, with no problems.

Corporate greed and Apple arrogance.

Eric

#7 marcus_gonzalez

marcus_gonzalez

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:50 AM

View Postericfoss11, on May 7 2006, 04:13 PM, said:

Interesting, yesterday I spent 46 minutes with some Apple tech support airhead from India whom I could barely understand.  She could not comprehend that the problem was not occuring when attempting to burn a DVD.  I finally asked to talk with her supervisor, and he harshly told me it was not an Apple OS problem, but a Roxio issue.  And to think, I purchased the Mac extended warranty, to be told that.

Roxio knows how to fix the beta version that I paid $30 bucks for yesterday and they had better help all of us with this problem.  I own the earlier version of Popcorn and several copies of Toast, with no problems.

Corporate greed and Apple arrogance.

Eric

I am getting the same error, I am the one that opened the topic "Exporting DVD to file format". Technical support has not given me a solution yet.  :)

#8 freshburn

freshburn

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:01 AM

Some DVD just can't be exported because of the way there were authored, or with errors in the ripped files.

One needs to be very specific with the version of MTR used to Rip, and the DVD.  If you don't won't to post that info here, send a private message with the info.

#9 ericfoss11

ericfoss11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:42 PM

View Postfreshburn, on May 8 2006, 09:01 AM, said:

Some DVD just can't be exported because of the way there were authored, or with errors in the ripped files.

One needs to be very specific with the version of MTR used to Rip, and the DVD.  If you don't won't to post that info here, send a private message with the info.

I am really getting frustrated that Roxio does not to even appear to recognize that a problem exists.  I make the rounds of CompUSA, MicroCenter and the rest here, in the Twin Cities.   I have a mission, now, of telling the Apple reps and the Mac orinted employees not to recommend Popcorn 2 to potential customers.  It does not work, it is alpha, or beta, at best.  Do not sell it!  Everyone that I have talked with has listened.

Try this on your next visit to Mac stores and see the receptivness of the employees.  Maybe this will get Roxio off of their big butts and fix their alpha release problem.

Eric

#10 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,654 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:23 PM

View Postericfoss11, on May 8 2006, 05:42 PM, said:

Maybe this will get Roxio off of their big butts and fix their alpha release problem.

Eric
Oh my....
freshburn's offer is the best way you have to resolve the problem you're experiencing with Popcorn. Try to accept it with some courtesy.

#11 freshburn

freshburn

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:03 AM

I don't have the problem and neither do the thousands of other people using the software.  You have a specific problem with specific DVD and unless you give more details about the problem, no one can help.

You have yet to post one piece of useful info here about the issue.  I can honestly say that Apple reps will just think you are another crazy Mac user and they are just glad to get you out of the store.

#12 ericfoss11

ericfoss11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:23 PM

View Postfreshburn, on May 9 2006, 07:03 AM, said:

I don't have the problem and neither do the thousands of other people using the software.  You have a specific problem with specific DVD and unless you give more details about the problem, no one can help.

You have yet to post one piece of useful info here about the issue.  I can honestly say that Apple reps will just think you are another crazy Mac user and they are just glad to get you out of the store.

Thank you for your gracious response.  I might point out that there are several other postings on the forum regarding this problem.  In addition, I have received several direct responses with others who have the same problem.

My issue is not that you or the others who do not have the technical ability to address the answer, but, where in the hell is Roxio tech support?  To fog this issue over by saying that "thousands of other people do not have have this issue" is so Microsoft.

I am a self employed business owner and did visit seven stores in my sales travels today, and talked with nine Apple sales people/reps in our metro area. Tthe universal response was "thanks for the info, we will caution our potential customers about problems with this software".  Wearing a grey, pinstripe suite and a red tie does have impact.

From your cave, in whatever Western mountain your dsl is dragged into, you stated to me "You have yet to post one piece of useful info here about the issue."  I might say the same for you.  If you are a representative of Roxio customer service, heavan help us all.

I did just contact my Business Visa Card representative and reversed the charge for the upgrade from Popcorn to Popcorn 2.  It does not work, and more importantly, Roxio does not care about what I think.

Keep your campfire burning so he Neanderthals don't get ya.

Eric

#13 lakewoodlawnman

lakewoodlawnman

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

View Postericfoss11, on May 9 2006, 10:23 PM, said:

Thank you for your gracious response.  I might point out that there are several other postings on the forum regarding this problem.  In addition, I have received several direct responses with others who have the same problem.

My issue is not that you or the others who do not have the technical ability to address the answer, but, where in the hell is Roxio tech support?  To fog this issue over by saying that "thousands of other people do not have have this issue" is so Microsoft.

I am a self employed business owner and did visit seven stores in my sales travels today, and talked with nine Apple sales people/reps in our metro area. Tthe universal response was "thanks for the info, we will caution our potential customers about problems with this software".  Wearing a grey, pinstripe suite and a red tie does have impact.

From your cave, in whatever Western mountain your dsl is dragged into, you stated to me "You have yet to post one piece of useful info here about the issue."  I might say the same for you.  If you are a representative of Roxio customer service, heavan help us all.

I did just contact my Business Visa Card representative and reversed the charge for the upgrade from Popcorn to Popcorn 2.  It does not work, and more importantly, Roxio does not care about what I think.

Keep your campfire burning so he Neanderthals don't get ya.

Eric

Edited by lakewoodlawnman, 09 May 2006 - 07:25 PM.

#14 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,654 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:35 PM

View Postericfoss11, on May 9 2006, 06:23 PM, said:

I did just contact my Business Visa Card representative and reversed the charge for the upgrade from Popcorn to Popcorn 2.
Eric
FYI, Eric, Roxio has a refund policy which you could have used. It's too bad that Popcorn 2 didn't work for you, but life goes on.

Edited by tsantee, 09 May 2006 - 07:49 PM.

#15 freshburn

freshburn

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:59 PM

Still waiting for useful info from you here in my cave.....LOL....wearing my pinstriped boxers (sorry, don't like suits).  I would like a Business Visa Card too, but well fair won't pay for that.  LOL!!!!!!  Gotta go, my 14.4 modem is crapping out......HA!

#16 marcus_gonzalez

marcus_gonzalez

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:06 AM

View Postfreshburn, on May 9 2006, 08:59 PM, said:

Still waiting for useful info from you here in my cave.....LOL....wearing my pinstriped boxers (sorry, don't like suits).  I would like a Business Visa Card too, but well fair won't pay for that.  LOL!!!!!!  Gotta go, my 14.4 modem is crapping out......HA!

Hi Freshburn I can give you some information. I am having the same problem. I have a jvc vcr hooked to a home dvd recorder. I recorded a family vacation vhs tape to dvd. I inserted the dvd into my imac and copied the video_ts folder over to my harddrive. This is what I posted on the thread I started called importing dvd to file format.

The content is not protected. The VIDEO_TS was copied from a DVD to my hard drive. Here is what I sent support.

The program: Popcorn2
The error message: "couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS error result code=-50".
Step by step what I am doing:
Open Popcorn 2
Click on the Player tab
For video source I choose video_ts folder
Click on select and choose my video_ts folder
output options are
device: mpeg-4 Player
quality: standard
save to: movies folder

I hit export and get the above stated error. It doesn't matter if my source is dvd or video_ts I get the same error. Just as a note the video_ts folder that produces the error burns fine to a dvd from the DVD tab. Operating system is ox 10.4.4 on a intel mac.

#17 freshburn

freshburn

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:16 AM

What version of MTR and what's the name of the DVD.  Those are the two most important things.  If you don't want to post that info, message me with it.  DVD format and Player format work totally different.

DVD format just does a re-quantization on the VOB which lowers the bitrate to fit on a disc.  Player format must de-mux the files, decode the MPEG and audio and then re-encode it to the new format.

Sometimes this just can't be done because of the way the video is authored, copy protections, errors in the files, and lots of other stuff.

If the version of MTR you are using is old, that could be the problem because early versions had problems patching the IFO files.

It could also just be a bad rip, it could just be a bad disc.

Also, you should really update your system to 10.4.6 and Quicktime 7.0.4.  That a lone could cause problems.

Edited by freshburn, 10 May 2006 - 11:30 AM.

#18 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,654 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:28 PM

View Postfreshburn, on May 10 2006, 11:16 AM, said:

What version of MTR and what's the name of the DVD.  Those are the two most important things.  If you don't want to post that info, message me with it.  DVD format and Player format work totally different.

Also, you should really update your system to 10.4.6 and Quicktime 7.0.4.  That a lone could cause problems.
freshburn, the problem Marcus Gonzalez is having is with a video-DVD he recorded using a JVC standalone recorder (from a VHS tape). I just followed his steps with a DVD recorded on my Pioneer standalone recorder and didn't experience any Popcorn error on my G5 iMac when reading straight from the disc or from its VIDEO_TS copied to the HDD. I was wondering if the problem could be related to the frequent time-code breaks on the DVDs recorded by my standalone recorder, but that's not an issue with my G5.

It just could be that Marcus' OS and QuickTime need updating to the most current version. Apple also has an Intel iMac firmware update.

#19 marcus_gonzalez

marcus_gonzalez

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:44 PM

View Posttsantee, on May 10 2006, 12:28 PM, said:

freshburn, the problem Marcus Gonzalez is having is with a video-DVD he recorded using a JVC standalone recorder (from a VHS tape). I just followed his steps with a DVD recorded on my Pioneer standalone recorder and didn't experience any Popcorn error on my G5 iMac when reading straight from the disc or from its VIDEO_TS copied to the HDD. I was wondering if the problem could be related to the frequent time-code breaks on the DVDs recorded by my standalone recorder, but that's not an issue with my G5.

It just could be that Marcus' OS and QuickTime need updating to the most current version. Apple also has an Intel iMac firmware update.

Thanks for clarifying that, you are correct. MTR is not being used, a stand alone home dvd recorder is what was used. I'm a beginner so excuse the silly question but what does the version of quicktime have to do with converting a dvd or video_ts to a file format? the OS I can understand but not quicktime and I'll double check my OS version because I have put updates on it recently. I'd be willing to run other tests but I don't have another way of recording vhs to dvd or video_ts other then my home dvd recorder.

#20 freshburn

freshburn

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:59 PM

OK, now we are getting some where :-)  Maybe this was in a different tread and I just missed it.  If you recorded the DVD with your JVC recorder, then you have a DVD-VR disc.

One needs to make sure that the disc is closed, especially if using a DVD-R.  Popcorn doesn't support DVD-VR, that's what Toast is for.  Assuming this is a single layer DVD, then when copying in Popcorn it is just a direct copy and nothing is done to the files.  That may be why it works.

It's also possible the DVD has CPRM protection.  It's really hard for me to tell.

I suggest extracting the files with Toast 7 from the media browser if you have it.  If you don't, you may want to using MPEG Stream Clip to extract and fix the MPEG.  The use the MPEG in Popcorn.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help then that.  In your case, this is a specific problem with the disc and Popcorn and without having a copy of the disc I can't really do to much.

You may want to try and contact support.  Maybe you could send them the disc to look at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users