15 replies to this topic

#1 swatch

swatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hello!

I just purchased Roxio's Easy VHS to DVD today and was excited to start getting footage together.  However, when I installed the software (following the insert card's instructions explicitly), I've found that the USB capture device is not being recognized by Windows.  Also, I apologize if this is another repost of this problem: I've used the search function on the forum and found topics that were close, but not exact, to my issue.

To give you some background on my troubleshooting, I've read these threads in this forum:

Jim Hardin's troubleshooting for the Video Capture USB device:
http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=43928

A pinned, and somewhat similar issue, by joelycat:
http://forums.support.roxio.com/lofiversio...php/t42602.html

Roxio's own, official driver update:
http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...S=set-locale=en

As I've stated, I followed the installation instructions to-the-T (twice, in fact) and plugged the device into the USB port BEFORE installing the software.

A pop-up keeps showing whenever I plug-in the device stating that "Found USB 2681 Device" (after software completes install).  I've tried invoking the Automatic Update for the driver, as well as trying to point it to the "VIDEOCAP_USB" folder on the install CD with no luck (obligatory reboots after each driver install-attempt, too).  I've also downloaded and installed the latest driver from the last link above, which is provided by Roxio, with no dice, either.  None of the capture functions in Roxio Easy VHS to DVD software see the USB device.  During my investigations (thanks to Jim's troubleshooting walkthrough that showed the device's manufacturer), I've googled any possible USB 2681 driver downloads for eMPIA and just get links to sites that want me to install their malware.  sad.gif

Is all that I need to do is install the USB 2681 driver?

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I just want the support team to know what I've already tried.  I was going to return the unit to the store tomorrow for a refund, but figured that I'd give Roxio Support the benefit of helping me out with this before I go that far.

EDIT: here are the specs of my computer:

Windows XP 64-bit
Quad Core Intel
4 GB RAM
(More info, if you want)

Thanks much!

Edited by swatch, 30 March 2009 - 10:18 AM.

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,092 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:54 AM

It is Hardware so it is possible that it is dead on arrival…

Some things to try.

The device must be plugged into a port on the back of your PC – Do it that way, no excuses!

Device manager – check these two for drivers. What shows up under Roxio Video Capture USB? Check under the Details tab too.

After_Drivers.jpg

If you have XP you have Windows Movie Maker. Use its' Capture portion to see if the device shows up and is usable.

Posted Image

#3 swatch

swatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Jim_Hardin @ Mar 30 2009, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is Hardware so it is possible that it is dead on arrival…

Some things to try.

The device must be plugged into a port on the back of your PC – Do it that way, no excuses!

Device manager – check these two for drivers. What shows up under Roxio Video Capture USB? Check under the Details tab too.

After_Drivers.jpg

If you have XP you have Windows Movie Maker. Use its' Capture portion to see if the device shows up and is usable.

Jim,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.  smile.gif

I've checked my Device Manager and could not find any signs of the USB capture device.  It is plugged directly into the USB port of my computer.

I've also tried to invoke the Capture function in Windows Movie Maker and it states that no video capture devices were detected.

Any chance you can PM me with the eMPIA USB 2861 driver so that I can try to install it and see what happens?

Thanks again!

#4 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,222 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (swatch @ Mar 30 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jim,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.  smile.gif

I've checked my Device Manager and could not find any signs of the USB capture device.  It is plugged directly into the USB port of my computer.

I've also tried to invoke the Capture function in Windows Movie Maker and it states that no video capture devices were detected.

Any chance you can PM me with the eMPIA USB 2861 driver so that I can try to install it and see what happens?

Thanks again!

Here is a link to look at that might help you  http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=49170 .

This part might apply to you:

"Place the USB Capture Device directly in a USB 2.0 connector on the PC, preferably a rear port not some kind of extension USB Hub. Make sure it's properly supported and the connected wires aren't pulling the device out, not making a proper connection. The operating system should recognize the USB Device and launch the Found New Hardware Wizard, if not try a different USB connector on the PC. When the Found New Hardware Wizard launches cancel it otherwise the operating system could install generic drivers for the device" .

#5 swatch

swatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (ogdens @ Mar 30 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a link to look at that might help you  http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=49170 .

This part might apply to you:

"Place the USB Capture Device directly in a USB 2.0 connector on the PC, preferably a rear port not some kind of extension USB Hub. Make sure it's properly supported and the connected wires aren't pulling the device out, not making a proper connection. The operating system should recognize the USB Device and launch the Found New Hardware Wizard, if not try a different USB connector on the PC. When the Found New Hardware Wizard launches cancel it otherwise the operating system could install generic drivers for the device" .

Ogdens,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I've read-through the detailed installation instructions in your link and have since removed all traces of Easy VHS to DVD from my computer and re-installed it from scratch.

After re-installation and the reboot, I still receive the "Found New Hardware" wizard concerning the USB capture device.  Further, I checked the Device Manager and still cannot find the device properly installed under the "Sound, video and game controllers" portion.

I'm not certain, but, since the device is actually being detected as a new piece of hardware, it might just be that the proper driver (USB 2861) is not being installed.  The hardware might be still functional, it's just that the appropriate driver to use the hardware is somehow not being set up properly.

Here's a screenshot of my Device Manager after installation:

Any last-ditch suggestions before I return the package to the place I bought it from?  Maybe swing me the eMPIA USB 2681 driver?

Thanks again for both your help on this.

#6 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,433 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

What do you show in add remove programs?

Like this? Tenth pic down,   http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=49170

"Two entries in add remove programs"  

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#7 swatch

swatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Mar 30 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you show in add remove programs?

Like this? Tenth pic down,   http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=49170

"Two entries in add remove programs"  

cd

cdanteek,

Thanks for jumping in this to help.

Actually, when I first read through these installation instructions from Ogden, I noticed that specific image for Add/Remove Programs.  I have NEVER had the "Roxio Video Capture USB Driver" displayed in my Add/Remove Programs list out of the 4 times that I've installed the software.

It really seems that, somehow, the proper drivers are just not being installed.  Is it because I'm running Windows XP 64-bit?  The spec-sheet for Roxio Easy VHS to DVD states that XP 64 is fine.

#8 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,433 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

Try this....

Products

Roxio Easy VHS to DVD
Issue

When trying to capture from Roxio VHS to DVD, the included USB capture device is not seen.
Cause

Roxio Video Capture USB was not connected before installing Roxio Easy VHS to DVD.
Resolution

The drivers for Roxio Video Capture USB are included in the installer for Roxio Easy VHS to DVD. However, they require the USB capture device to be plugged in for proper installation.

To resolve the issue you will need to download the drivers and reinstall them.

Please Read before downloading:

* These drivers are for existing Easy DVD to VHS users only.
    * These drivers do not offer any new features.
    * You must be registered to download. If you are already registered, login here.

To download:

1. Download RoxioC2009USBCaptureDriver.zip below.
   2. Open the .zip file RoxioC2009USBCaptureDriver.zip and drag the file RoxioC2009USBCaptureDriver.exe to your Desktop.
   3. Double-click the .exe file and follow the on screen instructions.

RoxioC2009USBCaptureDriver.zip (7.03 mb) - Download

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#9 swatch

swatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Mar 30 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try this....

Products

Roxio Easy VHS to DVD
Issue

When trying to capture from Roxio VHS to DVD, the included USB capture device is not seen.
Cause

Roxio Video Capture USB was not connected before installing Roxio Easy VHS to DVD.
Resolution

The drivers for Roxio Video Capture USB are included in the installer for Roxio Easy VHS to DVD. However, they require the USB capture device to be plugged in for proper installation.

To resolve the issue you will need to download the drivers and reinstall them.

Please Read before downloading:

* These drivers are for existing Easy DVD to VHS users only.
    * These drivers do not offer any new features.
    * You must be registered to download. If you are already registered, login here.

To download:

1. Download RoxioC2009USBCaptureDriver.zip below.
   2. Open the .zip file RoxioC2009USBCaptureDriver.zip and drag the file RoxioC2009USBCaptureDriver.exe to your Desktop.
   3. Double-click the .exe file and follow the on screen instructions.

RoxioC2009USBCaptureDriver.zip (7.03 mb) - Download

cd

Hi, cdanteek,

I've actually downloaded and installed this in my previous attempts to resolve the "driver-less" issue with no luck.  However, seeing that it is now a bona-fide suggestion, I've re-downloaded it and ran the installation again.

To give you background on the current state of the software/hardware: I have NOT removed Easy VHS to DVD software since my last install.  Everything that was installed is still on my computer.  The USB device is still plugged in to a direct USB port on my computer.

After downloading your suggested driver package, decompressing it, then running the setup.exe, the Installshield Wizard gave me these options:

Modify

Repair

Remove

Typically, if the software is NOT found on the machine, the setup.exe would straight-up just proceed with installation.  However, given that I'm being shown options to Modify, Repair or Remove, it seems that the driver software is already installed... it's just not visible either to the user or to the OS.  In any case, I chose to Repair, just in case the default Roxio driver install from the CD was damaged somehow.

The Repair install went through fine, and I started up Roxio Easy VHS to DVD software.

Invoked Capture Video option.  Still cannot see the USB device in the drop-down list of capture devices.  There are actually no recognized devices in this category.

Device Manager still shows "USB 2861 Device" as needing a driver.  No trace of Roxio Video Capture USB is found under the "Sound, video and game controllers" section (as per my screenshot above).

Thanks again for suggesting stuff for me to try.  Is there a way for me to just get the USB 2861 eMPIA driver to install?

#10 swatch

swatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (swatch @ Mar 30 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, cdanteek,

I've actually downloaded and installed this in my previous attempts to resolve the "driver-less" issue with no luck.  However, seeing that it is now a bona-fide suggestion, I've re-downloaded it and ran the installation again.

To give you background on the current state of the software/hardware: I have NOT removed Easy VHS to DVD software since my last install.  Everything that was installed is still on my computer.  The USB device is still plugged in to a direct USB port on my computer.

After downloading your suggested driver package, decompressing it, then running the setup.exe, the Installshield Wizard gave me these options:

Modify

Repair

Remove

Typically, if the software is NOT found on the machine, the setup.exe would straight-up just proceed with installation.  However, given that I'm being shown options to Modify, Repair or Remove, it seems that the driver software is already installed... it's just not visible either to the user or to the OS.  In any case, I chose to Repair, just in case the default Roxio driver install from the CD was damaged somehow.

The Repair install went through fine, and I started up Roxio Easy VHS to DVD software.

Invoked Capture Video option.  Still cannot see the USB device in the drop-down list of capture devices.  There are actually no recognized devices in this category.

Device Manager still shows "USB 2861 Device" as needing a driver.  No trace of Roxio Video Capture USB is found under the "Sound, video and game controllers" section (as per my screenshot above).

Thanks again for suggesting stuff for me to try.  Is there a way for me to just get the USB 2861 eMPIA driver to install?

SUCCESS!!

I must admit that, this is largely my fault.   glare.gif

Jim had instructed earlier to plug the USB Capture device into the BACK port of my computer.  Since all the ports there are full, I just thought that the front ports would be fine (not thinking that they are probably hubb'ed).  So, after all of these trials, I searched this forum for any further information regarding using the back ports and came across a post (which I've since lost) that states that BACK ports must be used and NOT FRONT PORTS.

So, I sucked it up and went to the back of my computer to clear a couple of USB ports to facilitate the large device.

I uninstalled all the software, re-installed it, rebooted and... I saw the Roxio Video Capture USB!  I opened up the Video Capture util and saw the device in the drop-down.  Yay.

However...

Because the USB device was in the back of my machine, I needed to plug it into the extension USB cable.  So, I unplugged the Capture device, hooked it all up to the USB extension, plugged it back into the back USB port and... nothing.  My computer lost the connection to the Capture Device.  Drat!

So, I thought I'd reboot and have the computer re-establish connection to the USB Capture device.  Upon reboot: nada.  Nothing.  Zip.  No detection of Capture Device.  If I had a pillow, I would have buried my face in it and screamed.  I was so close!

But I didn't give up.  Looking in the Device Manager, I could see that the device was seen, but Windows didn't know what it was, as there was no driver hooking it in.  I clicked on the USB 2861 Properties, saw that there in fact, were no drivers and clicked on Update Driver.  I let Windows find the driver automatically, going against all the instructions previous.  Windows found the driver!  But it warned me that it is Unsigned and that bad things could happen.  Whatevs.  It's been bad already.  Let's do this.  I clicked Proceed, and found Roxio Video Capture USB driver installed.  W00t.  Started up the Roxio Capture util and just did a test capture of some Indiana Jones thing I recorded when I was a kid.

AWESOME.

I hope that it continues to work flawlessly.

I apologize to all about my laziness.  A lot of the typing could have been avoided if I just got up off my rump.  Thanks so much for all of your help and concern.  I'll not have to return this unit.

#11 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,433 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

You're welcome.... rolleyes.gif

cd

cd
Spoiler

#12 Drewmack408

Drewmack408

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:13 AM

Hello,

I'm having he same problem as Swatch but using windows 7. I followed the steps he did when had "success" but that didn't work. Any other suggestions. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

System Specs:

System Manufacturer: DELL Inc.
       System Model: Studio XPS 435T/9000
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4086MB RAM
          Page File: 1802MB used, 6369MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode)
          Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GT 220
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A20&SUBSYS_069A10DE&REV_A2
     Display Memory: 2774 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 986 MB
      Shared Memory: 1787 MB
       Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: SyncMaster
         Monitor Id: SAM0217
        Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
        Output Type: HD15
        Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0011.9745 (English)
     Driver Version: 8.17.11.9745

#13 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,433 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:23 AM

View PostDrewmack408, on 02 August 2010 - 06:13 AM, said:

Hello,

I'm having he same problem as Swatch but using windows 7. I followed the steps he did when had "success" but that didn't work. Any other suggestions. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

System Specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU     920  @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode)
          Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU     920  @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
   Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GT 220
       DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
     Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A20&SUBSYS_069A10DE&REV_A2
Display Memory: 2774 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 986 MB
      Shared Memory: 1787 MB
   Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
   Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: SyncMaster
     Monitor Id: SAM0217
        Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
        Output Type: HD15
        Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0011.9745 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.11.9745

Where do you have the USB Device plugged into your PC?

Have you tried every USB port on your PC?
cd
Spoiler

#14 Drewmack408

Drewmack408

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

I have the usb device plugged into the back of the PC. For kicks and giggles i tried all 4 usb input's on back and all 5 on front and none of them worked for the Capture Card.

#15 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,433 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

View PostDrewmack408, on 02 August 2010 - 10:12 AM, said:

I have the usb device plugged into the back of the PC. For kicks and giggles i tried all 4 usb input's on back and all 5 on front and none of them worked for the Capture Card.

Does the USB Device feel warm after plugged into a USB port for a short while?
cd
Spoiler

#16 Drewmack408

Drewmack408

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Yes as a matter of fact it did feel warm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users