• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kyeian

kyeian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

All right, so here's my issue.  My IE7 (internet exploerer 7) died a while back, so the other day I downloaded and installed IE8. It mostly works. When you go to this site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/dd441788.aspx it has down in the list of incompatible things, and Sonic Solution's DriveLetterAccess is one of them. I use my DLA, I rather enjoy it.  I don't get what that has to do with my internet browser though. According to that site, all you have to do to end the problem is to turn that add-on off. The kicker is when you DO turn the add-on off, it makes all of IE crash. There's another option that says to always load it, but when you do that, it also makes IE crash.

Does anyone have any idea what to do about this? (and I don't mean the kind of help that says to use a different browser)

I'm not sure if it'll be necessary for any of this, but I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition...and SP3. (Edit:) and DLA version 5.2.0 build 520B08E (DLD)

Thanks, have a good one
~Kye

Edited by kyeian, 02 April 2009 - 06:11 PM.

#2 Beerman

Beerman

Digital Beer Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -7,099 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

I don't have an answer as to what is happening but would suggest you use another browser such as Firefox.
Paul
------
Custom Built ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W Power Supply, COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
#2-P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS,

#3 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,086 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:40 PM

I'm finding it difficult to understand what the MSDN release notes are meaning. It says
Roxio Drive Letter Access

Internet Explorer 8 displays a compatibility warning when certain versions of the Drive Letter Access (DLA) add-on are installed. This issue occurs because Internet Explorer 8 RC1 and specific versions of this add-on are incompatible, and the installation is unstable. When you disable this add-on, the main functionality of the DLA product is unaffected. [my emphasis]

It seems to be referring to DLA as an add-on, but if that's so then what does that last sentence mean, 'that when you disable DLA the main functionality of DLA is unaffected' ?? If that's not what they're saying, then what are they saying?? Can someone translate the Microsoft gobbledygook, please ?

Kyeian,
They are saying "certain versions of DLA" are incompatible. Which version are you using, and did you find anything saying which versions are compatible or incompatible?
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#4 kyeian

kyeian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Brendon @ Apr 2 2009, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm finding it difficult to understand what the MSDN release notes are meaning. It says

It seems to be referring to DLA as an add-on, but if that's so then what does that last sentence mean, 'that when you disable DLA the main functionality of DLA is unaffected' ?? If that's not what they're saying, then what are they saying?? Can someone translate the Microsoft gobbledygook, please ?

Kyeian,
They are saying "certain versions of DLA" are incompatible. Which version are you using, and did you find anything saying which versions are compatible or incompatible?

I have absolutely no idea why, but the DLA is listed as an add-on. I'm assuming that the "functionality of DLA is unaffected" bit means you're just un-associating it from the browser--why it has anything to DO with the browser is absolutely beyond me to understand lol.

So yeah, I haven't found anything about which version are or are not compatible. I'm using Version 5.2.0 build 520B08E (DLD) --and evidently that one doesn't work.

#5 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,086 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

I still can't make any sense of that sentence, not can I work out what it should be saying, but Hey! that's Microsoft.

Thanks for that information about the version. I've sent you a PM and wonder if you'd like to see if a later version of D2D/DLA is compatible with I.E. 8.

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

"I did it until . . "

#6 myrna

myrna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

I have the same problem. Updated to IE 8, then tried to go back to IE7 and now have a microsoft screen to select options whch
doesn't accept response.  Any way to update Drive letter access code to a version that doen't cause this problem.
Using  Windows XP
Thanks

#7 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,086 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (myrna @ Apr 6 2009, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the same problem. Updated to IE 8, then tried to go back to IE7 and now have a microsoft screen to select options whch
doesn't accept response.  Any way to update Drive letter access code to a version that doen't cause this problem.
Using  Windows XP
Thanks

The problem is caused by changes to Internet Exploder, not DLA. smile.gif Check your private messages.

"I did it until . . "

#8 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (kyeian @ Apr 1 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[snip]

All right, so here's my issue.  My IE7 (internet exploerer 7) died a while back,

I am curious (not a cat).  How in the hell did your browser die?  No matter, it doesn't look good for your side, and I would bet that the DLA problem is the least of your troubles.

Edited by grandpabruce, 06 April 2009 - 01:36 PM.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#9 kyeian

kyeian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (grandpabruce @ Apr 6 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am curious (not a cat).  How in the hell did your browser die?  No matter, it doesn't look good for your side, and I would bet that the DLA problem is the least of your troubles.

yeah, i don't see it looking so good either. the browser would stop in the middle of anything and would close. at the time we were having a raid-volume thing, but we got that figured out, but IE hates me or something now.

And really, with ie8, the DLA thing is the only thing keeping the browser from working.

#10 osborn4

osborn4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

I know this is an old thread, but we're finally getting around to installing IE8 on our XP machines at work and are running into the same message.

Has anyone come up with a way to deregister DLA as an IE plug in? Or set a group policy to automatically disable just this plugin?

Thanks.

#11 Tyomni

Tyomni

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

View Postosborn4, on 01 February 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

I know this is an old thread, but we're finally getting around to installing IE8 on our XP machines at work and are running into the same message.

Has anyone come up with a way to deregister DLA as an IE plug in? Or set a group policy to automatically disable just this plugin?

Thanks.
Ups, even 2 years later don't have a solution.

#12 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

You guys are posting to an almost 3 year old thread.
There have been at leat 2 or 3 versions of Roxio since then that don't even include DLA anymore because of some of these issues.

DLA was never a plug in.It was a built in part of the suite.If I remember correctly you should have been able to chose to not install it at first install.
You may be able to uninstall it the same way.

You may also be able to go into msconfig and disable it from starting.I can't say for sure as I'm no longer running any of those versions.

At best DLA was a sketchy way of saving data.
You were better off just writing data to a cd using Creator Classic and redoing the disc if need be.
You could always make the disc appendable and add data that way latter if need be.
RIP Johnny Winter

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#13 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostTyomni, on 02 February 2012 - 10:57 AM, said:

Ups, even 2 years later don't have a solution.

Go do your homework, and quit posting useless posts here, please.  :angry:
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#14 osborn4

osborn4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:33 AM

I realize this is an old thread. But, we are very slow (obviously) getting to IE8. I was just wondering if anyone had figure out a way, from an enterprise level, to unplug the plug in w/o uninstalling the applicaiton.

Thanks.

#15 Drew Guy

Drew Guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

You can uninstall the Roxio/Sonic Solutions add-on. The msi string is {1206EF92-2E83-4859-ACCB-2048C3CB7DA6} for us here. So, on all the computers after I install IE8 I run --> msiexec /x {1206EF92-2E83-4859-ACCB-2048C3CB7DA6} /qn /norestart B)

#16 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,694 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostDrew Guy, on 02 March 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

You can uninstall the Roxio/Sonic Solutions add-on. The msi string is {1206EF92-2E83-4859-ACCB-2048C3CB7DA6} for us here. So, on all the computers after I install IE8 I run --> msiexec /x {1206EF92-2E83-4859-ACCB-2048C3CB7DA6} /qn /norestart B)

osborn,  Drew has no history with this forum.  He may be correct but I would hold off until you get some confirmation of that "fix".

Sorry Drew.  Just being extra cautious.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#17 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,086 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thank you for your caution, Steve [Sknis]. :)

Don't use that MSI command, Osborn4

Executing that MSI command completely uninstalls the whole of DLA, and while completely nuking the application may be fine for 'Drew Guy', and his command line is very helpful for those who do want to uninstall it, it isn't the way to resolve the conflict between IE8 or IE9 and the Sonic DLA add-on 1.0.0.1 for Internet Explorer.

I don't normally use IE, but today I spent some time trying all this stuff out [the only way to be sure] and even installed IE7 and IE8 [ugh!].

It turns out that DLA will install add-ons into Internet Explorer, additional to DLA's core functionality.
One particular version of the add-on [ver1.0.0.1] is not liked by IE8 and IE9.
The main DLA program still works fine, but the add-on won't.

The way to prevent the conflict between the add-on and DLA without uninstalling DLA, is to disable the add-ons in IE. There are two simple ways to do this:

[1]When you get a pop-up from IE complaining about the add-on, just click the radio button to always open IE without the add-on.

ie8 pop-up.jpg

[2]Go to the IE toolbar Tools > View and Manage add-ons
-locate the DLA add-on, right-click on the Status column, and left-click on "Disable"

Manage Add-ons2.jpg

I hope this helps you, Osborn4.

Regards,
Brendon

"I did it until . . "

#18 osborn4

osborn4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

Thanks all for the help. Brendan, your solutions would have been preferable, if I could have implemented them via batch rather than graphical. I cannot ask my 4000 users to each do that.

Since DLA is not really used anymore anyway, we decided to go with Drew's solution. Works great. It does completely remove DLA. But I doubt anyone will even notice.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users