asandull

Buying a new digital camera

Question

I need a new digital camera. I would like something that could be used professionally because I will be assisting my videographer friend (taking photos) for experience this summer. Does anyone know anything about the Sony F828? It sounds like it would be great for what I need... But then again, I've never taken pictures of anything other than my family so I'm not quite sure... It will need to take clear crisp pictures indoors when lighting may not be the greatest. I would really like to stay under $1000. I'm not sure If I'll need to spend more or if I can possilby get something even less expensive... Any ideas and experiences would be appreciated.

I've googled this search but it just made the selection process even more confusing...

Thanks,

Angie D

49 answers to this question

I need a new digital camera. I would like something that could be used professionally because I will be assisting my videographer friend (taking photos) for experience this summer. Does anyone know anything about the Sony F828? It sounds like it would be great for what I need... But then again, I've never taken pictures of anything other than my family so I'm not quite sure... It will need to take clear crisp pictures indoors when lighting may not be the greatest. I would really like to stay under $1000. I'm not sure If I'll need to spend more or if I can possilby get something even less expensive... Any ideas and experiences would be appreciated.

I've googled this search but it just made the selection process even more confusing...

Thanks,

Angie D

My opinion is anything over 5 MP is not needed for the average hobby photographer. Heck, even 4 is great.

I think you'd be spending more than you need even needing a semi-pro unit. Sony makes great cameras but check out Canon's line as well and you might save a few bucks.

And, for God's sake, please ask your videographer friend for advice as it appears he's the experienced one on this.

My opinion is anything over 5 MP is not needed for the average hobby photographer. Heck, even 4 is great.

I think you'd be spending more than you need even needing a semi-pro unit. Sony makes great cameras but check out Canon's line as well and you might save a few bucks.

And, for God's sake, please ask your videographer friend for advice as it appears he's the experienced one on this.

I always look for a high optical zoom, like 10x, since I usually take pictures afar (say school function). Another good feature is image stabilization.

Edited by malatekid

LOL... Thanks Paul...

I'm so impatient... I sent him an e-mail earlier today asking his advice but I didn’t hear back from him yet... I'm such an impulsive shopper and want to buy something now... His knowledge is better with video cameras and editing anyway...

I like your suggestion of getting something under 5 MP... much cheaper... but will I will be able to get pro shots with one of those cameras when I assist him at weddings or other events? Of course, they're will be a professional photographer so clients would not be relying on my photos but I would want something close to professional…

So do you think something under 5 MP will still do the trick?

LOL... Thanks Paul...

I'm so impatient... I sent him an e-mail earlier today asking his advice but I didn’t hear back from him yet... I'm such an impulsive shopper and want to buy something now... His knowledge is better with video cameras and editing anyway...

I like your suggestion of getting something under 5 MP... much cheaper... but will I will be able to get pro shots with one of those cameras when I assist him at weddings or other events? Of course, they're will be a professional photographer so clients would not be relying on my photos but I would want something close to professional…

So do you think something under 5 MP will still do the trick?

Angie, it's almost hard nowadays to find many cameras under 5MP but unless you're printing very large photos, and I mean very large, 8 MP just isn't needed. My brother is a photographer our newspaper in New Orleans (yes, we can read here!) and he's got the best of the best but he hardly ever shoots anything in hi-res moded as he doesn't need it. He even does family portraits and some weddings when he has time and doesn't even use his 'serious' equipment for that.

Not nowing exactly what you need is where it's hard for me to make anything but an opinionated answer.

Angie, it's almost hard nowadays to find many cameras under 5MP but unless you're printing very large photos, and I mean very large, 8 MP just isn't needed. My brother is a photographer our newspaper in New Orleans (yes, we can read here!) and he's got the best of the best but he hardly ever shoots anything in hi-res moded as he doesn't need it. He even does family portraits and some weddings when he has time and doesn't even use his 'serious' equipment for that.

Not nowing exactly what you need is where it's hard for me to make anything but an opinionated answer.

I dont know why I said 'under' 5 MP... I have a 5.1 (cyber-shot)now and wouldnt go lower... And I wouldnt be printing anything larger than a 8x10 from time to time...so what you are saying makes sense... Thanks for you opinion...

Thanks Malatekid I will keep that in mind...

You might want to take a look at the Sony DSC-H2 or DSC-H5 (soon to be released). These are a lot cheaper than the F828 and have a higher zoom. 12x. If I was in the market right now, that is what I would go with over the F828.

Marlin

You might want to take a look at the Sony DSC-H2 or DSC-H5 (soon to be released). These are a lot cheaper than the F828 and have a higher zoom. 12x. If I was in the market right now, that is what I would go with over the F828.

Marlin

I'm looking at the DSC-H5 now... looks perfect for what i need... 7.2 MP... 12 optical zoom...and Super SteadyShot Optical Image Stabilization... I think this is what I'm going to go with unless someone tells me otherwise... Love the price compared to the F828...

Thanks so much... I'm like a little kid in a candy shop right now... LOL...

I'm looking at the DSC-H5 now... looks perfect for what i need... 7.2 MP... 12 optical zoom...and Super SteadyShot Optical Image Stabilization... I think this is what I'm going to go with unless someone tells me otherwise... Love the price compared to the F828...

Thanks so much... I'm like a little kid in a candy shop right now... LOL...

And 3.0" LCD screen...that's good!

Wow, a kid in a candy shop :huh: Sounds great to me Angie. I think what Paul suggested is pretty much right about how high you go in the pixel range. That is, if you are going to print very large photos of your shots it will take a larger pixel rate to get the same good results. And what malatekid suggested as far as Image Stablization is concerned, that's a must as far as I'm concerned. I have a Sony and take most of my better photos at the 5 megapixel range and print them at 5x7 and 8x10 and they all come out great.

Good luck Angie on your new camera---uh "candy" :)

Frank....

Wow, a kid in a candy shop :huh: Sounds great to me Angie. I think what Paul suggested is pretty much right about how high you go in the pixel range. That is, if you are going to print very large photos of your shots it will take a larger pixel rate to get the same good results. And what malatekid suggested as far as Image Stablization is concerned, that's a must as far as I'm concerned. I have a Sony and take most of my better photos at the 5 megapixel range and print them at 5x7 and 8x10 and they all come out great.

Good luck Angie on your new camera---uh "candy" :)

Frank....

Hi Frank! I was looking for something with less mp thinking the price would go down, but I cant seem to find anything (sony) with lower mp that has a high optical zoom and good stablilization... Which Sony are you using? does it do well in low lit areas?

I guess I have time to research more since the DSC-H5 wont ship until June 9th. I want to stick with Sony because I have hunderds of dollars in memory sticks...

THANKS!!!

Some of the best advice you can get is by going to www.dpreview.com

They list virtually every camera and have tested them extensively giving you an unbiased review. They even have example shots of nearly every camera for you to look over. And there's more to life than just megapixels. Some cameras oversharpen, some will have a so-so lens, some think magenta is red, and on and on. This site will let you do a side by side comparison and you can judge for yourself the picture quality. That's what photographers look for.

Edited by vid2man97

There are two I would concider: Canon Rebel XL or the Olympus e-Volt. Both come with pro lens that are exchangeable. I've seen the Olympus for around $899 and included two lens.

Some of the best advice you can get is by going to www.dpreview.com

They list virtually every camera and have tested them extensively giving you an unbiased review. They even have example shots of nearly every camera for you to look over. And there's more to life than just megapixels. Some cameras oversharpen, some will have a so-so lens, some think magenta is red, and on and on. This site will let you do a side by side comparison and you can judge for yourself the picture quality. That's what photographers look for.

Great site... Thanks so much! I just realized the Sony H2 is really inexpensive and has 6 mp... The H5 is 7.2 but I guess I wouldn’t need all that... I wonder if you can see a difference in quality between the two... Looking for samples now...

Gary... Thanks for the recommendation... I feel as though I'm married to Sony... I'm tempted by others but will never stray... LOL :)

Another good source for information is cameratown.com. They do good reviews and link to other places that do reviews. I agree with others that 5 megapixels is good enough but watch out for those that say "interpolated". The camera is lower pixels but they use the software to interpolate to a higher resolution. This is what they advertise.

Look for one that had good low light sensitivity, quick focus and one that doesn't eat batteries. Unfortunately my Konica Minolta 7Hi fails at all three. One I could fix with a battery pack, the other two, well I take pictures outdoors using manual focus. :)

Thanks,

Angie D

I feel as though I'm married to Sony... I'm tempted by others but will never stray... LOL

I would agree with you if you were talking camcorders. :) You should at least do some comparative shots. Sometimes I feel Sony is too proprietary. I'm surprised any of their cameras even offer memory options other than their own Memory Sticks.

If you are going to be taking photo semi-pro offering still images with the video, then 5 megapixels may not be enough. What if someone orders a 20 X 30? Sony's Cyber-shot® DSC-R1 Digital Camera offers 10.3 megapixels. If you are selling your images, it wouldn't be over kill.

Edited by ggrussell

I would agree with you if you were talking camcorders. :huh: You should at least do some comparative shots. Sometimes I feel Sony is too proprietary. I'm surprised any of their cameras even offer memory options other than their own Memory Sticks.

If you are going to be taking photo semi-pro offering still images with the video, then 5 megapixels may not be enough. What if someone orders a 20 X 30? Sony's Cyber-shot® DSC-R1 Digital Camera offers 10.3 megapixels. If you are selling your images, it wouldn't be over kill.

Wow, I thought I had my choices narrowed down to the Sony H2 or H5 but after reading up on Canon and Olympus like Gary suggested I'm even more confused. One feature I noticed those two models didn’t have were video clips... I like to have that but I've seen others that do...

Sknis, what do I look for to know if the camera will drain the batteries quickly? Another reason why I think I would stay with Sony... I've always used there cameras and I already know the batteries hold up well.. plus I have at least 6 sets of rechargeables on hand...

Well, at least I know to stay away from the Minolta 7Hi...LOL...

This is why I like being an impulsive shopper rather than an educated consumer that researches everything... My list is growing and I can’t decide. :)

Thanks for everyone’s help... I'm looking for all the features your recommending.

;

Re: Battery Drain - the reviews will tell you. Heed the reviews, they tend to understate any problems. I didn't think it would be as bad as they said. I bought a universal battery pack from, believe it or not --Fox Photos. It cost $60, slightly less that the $300 that Minolta wanted. :) It will run that camera all day rather than the 40 to 50 pictures that I was getting on some pretty good batteries. Consider something like that since you don't want the batteries to run out just at the most important time (which they will).

Re: Battery Drain - the reviews will tell you. Heed the reviews, they tend to understate any problems. I didn't think it would be as bad as they said. I bought a universal battery pack from, believe it or not --Fox Photos. It cost $60, slightly less that the $300 that Minolta wanted. :) It will run that camera all day rather than the 40 to 50 pictures that I was getting on some pretty good batteries. Consider something like that since you don't want the batteries to run out just at the most important time (which they will).

Ahh, thanks. I didnt know there was such a thing. I'll look into that. :huh:

I would agree with you if you were talking camcorders. :) You should at least do some comparative shots. Sometimes I feel Sony is too proprietary. I'm surprised any of their cameras even offer memory options other than their own Memory Sticks.

Sony is out... I'm told I need to get a camera in the SLR class... SLR's dont have movie clips either... but I'm told that's what I need... Your Canon Rebel is in the running...

Off to compare SLR's now... Thanks again!

I suggest that one of the best advice that she got was to go to her professional photography friend and get his opinion :) Everyone has their favorites as far as camcorders and still digital cameras go, so there will undoubtly be several more posts that will have another reccomendation. Some time ago there was another similar post where digital cameras with or without the video ability was being batted around. I think that ended up a draw. :huh:

One thing she had in her favor was all of the bucks she had invested in memory chips for the Sony.

Frank....

I suggest that one of the best advice that she got was to go to her professional photography friend and get his opinion :) Everyone has their favorites as far as camcorders and still digital cameras go, so there will undoubtly be several more posts that will have another reccomendation. Some time ago there was another similar post where digital cameras with or without the video ability was being batted around. I think that ended up a draw. :huh:

One thing she had in her favor was all of the bucks she had invested in memory chips for the Sony.

Frank....

Yes, but I learned a lot from this thread. All of these posts have told me which features to look for and which not to... So, yes... good advice from Paul but I liked having everyone’s opinion to help make my decision. I respect and trust the knowledge of these forum members because I've always been lead in the right direction.

So, thank you all...

Guest mlpasley

On thing you don't need is a camera with the ability to take video clips. The video clips are usually very low quality and won't be suitable for professional work.

Most professionals still use analog cameras rather than digital for photographs.

If you want digital, then you need to continue your research to find the camera that you'll need. I rely a lot on those independent reviews, but I'm partial to Sony because of the investment I have in accessories. ( I'm a camcorder person though.)

Edited by mlpasley

On thing you don't need is a camera with the ability to take video clips. The video clips are usually very low quality and won't be suitable for professional work.

Most professionals still use analog cameras rather than digital for photographs.

If you want digital, then you need to continue your research to find the camera that you'll need. I rely a lot on those independent reviews, but I'm partial to Sony because of the investment I have in accessories. ( I'm a camcorder person though.)

Agreed... I just like a camera to have video clips so I can post small videos on my my family sites... But I have a camera that does that so it's on the bottom of my priorirty list. Cant get an SLR that takes them anyway...

Amazing, I started off insisting I was going to buy Sony but now Sony is not an option. Way too many better ones out there.

going to obsess more over this silly thing....

Ok, I'm starting to feel for you now. It is so overwhelming when it comes to choosing a dig camera.

You can make it easy on yourself if you just set your budget. Buy the best you can now because it's no different than what we all know about buying computers...six months later something better and cheaper comes along. But think of all the pics you'll miss in that time.

I will finally have to admit my bias for the moment, that as a wedding and portrait photographer ( and some landscape work), I still prefer film. None of the current crop of dig cameras is good enough for me, they just don't have enough pixels. I need to print 30X40 (and up) most of the time. (Most people don't). If I need or want to work with Photoshop CS2, I get a high quality scan. Then the dig file can match the neg for printing large.

But if I just had to have a dig cam in the meantime...

An SLR is a must. Go with a manufacturer with good lenses. Get as many (real) pixels as possible (but not at the expense of poor imaging quality like fringing or crummy colour rendition). True that 6 will print up to 8X10 and photoshop does a pretty good job of interpolating it up for bigger prints (don't use the camera to do this...photoshop is far superior), but what if you want to crop the pic? You then have fewer pixels to print. You need a little extra so you have that 'crop factor'. And buy a camera that suits your abilities. Cameras are usually more costly because of features. If you don't need those features, why spend the bucks.

enjoy they quest and no matter what you get...have fun with it and take some pics you'll be proud of...