asandull

Buying a new digital camera

Question

I need a new digital camera. I would like something that could be used professionally because I will be assisting my videographer friend (taking photos) for experience this summer. Does anyone know anything about the Sony F828? It sounds like it would be great for what I need... But then again, I've never taken pictures of anything other than my family so I'm not quite sure... It will need to take clear crisp pictures indoors when lighting may not be the greatest. I would really like to stay under $1000. I'm not sure If I'll need to spend more or if I can possilby get something even less expensive... Any ideas and experiences would be appreciated.

I've googled this search but it just made the selection process even more confusing...

Thanks,

Angie D

49 answers to this question

There are two I would concider: Canon Rebel XL or the Olympus e-Volt. Both come with pro lens that are exchangeable. I've seen the Olympus for around $899 and included two lens.

Well, I've decided to get the Olympus E-volt with the additional lens... Gary, thanks so much for your suggestion!

Thanks everyone for your advice!!! :)

I will finally have to admit my bias for the moment, that as a wedding and portrait photographer ( and some landscape work), I still prefer film. None of the current crop of dig cameras is good enough for me, they just don't have enough pixels.
You should check out the pro line of digital cameras instead of the consumer ones. Pentax just released a 'prosumer' digital camera. Mamiya and Hasselblad all have digital backs for their lines. Sony's top consumer DSC-R1 has 10.3 megapixel. Most of the digital cameras over $700 also record in the RAW format with zero compression and higher end photo editors can take advantage of that format. I have no doubt that there are plenty of professional level digital cameras that can produce images equal to or better than 35mm enlarged to 30X40.

Angie - Im jealous!! I have been looking at that model. I think it was Best Buy or CompUSA that had the eVolt with both lens for about $799 or $899. It also has some nice technology to keep the CCD dust free, too.

Edited by ggrussell

You should check out the pro line of digital cameras instead of the consumer ones. Pentax just released a 'prosumer' digital camera. Mamiya and Hasselblad all have digital backs for their lines. Sony's top consumer DSC-R1 has 10.3 megapixel. Most of the digital cameras over $700 also record in the RAW format with zero compression and higher end photo editors can take advantage of that format. I have no doubt that there are plenty of professional level digital cameras that can produce images equal to or better than 35mm enlarged to 30X40.

Angie - Im jealous!! I have been looking at that model. I think it was Best Buy or CompUSA that had the eVolt with both lens for about $799 or $899. It also has some nice technology to keep the CCD dust free, too.

At B&H its $714 after rebate. That includes tax and delivery... Great price, but it was enough to *^$$ off my husband... Oops :)

I'm so anxious to learn all about it... I've been using my Sony P93 for so long now that it'll be great to have something in a different class.

I don’t know anything about anything when it comes to photography... I've been told I take great shots and my prints look professional but I don’t know the first thing about it... It'll be exciting to learn with this new camera.

Happy Mothers Day to me!!!!

At B&H its $714 after rebate. That includes tax and delivery... Great price, but it was enough to *^$$ off my husband... Oops :huh:

I'm so anxious to learn all about it... I've been using my Sony P93 for so long now that it'll be great to have something in a different class.

I don’t know anything about anything when it comes to photography... I've been told I take great shots and my prints look professional but I don’t know the first thing about it... It'll be exciting to learn with this new camera.

Happy Mothers Day to me!!!!

LOLLOL on the pissing off your husband. :) I have purchased a few things from B&H. They are an excellent online store, IMHO.

LOLLOL on the pissing off your husband. :) I have purchased a few things from B&H. They are an excellent online store, IMHO.

Bruce, are they your grandchildren? They are such beautiful little girls... Great picture!

Bruce, are they your grandchildren? They are such beautiful little girls... Great picture!

They obviously didn't get their looks from grandpa. :)

It's gatta be the name... LOL.. every Paul I know is a wise guy... even my little guy. :huh:

It's gatta be the name... LOL.. every Paul I know is a wise guy... even my little guy. :)

Hey, I'm half Italian so you gotta watch who you say 'Wiseguy' to. :huh::D

In my family, the more we make fun of you, the more we love you. (in a manly way Bruce)

Hey, I'm half Italian so you gotta watch who you say 'Wiseguy' to. :):huh:

In my family, the more we make fun of you, the more we love you. (in a manly way Bruce)

So does that mean you eat your Sunday gravy out of a jar??? LOL...

%100 Italian here... I'm always in the kitchen... good thing my pc is close by :D

So does that mean you eat your Sunday gravy out of a jar??? LOL...

%100 Italian here... I'm always in the kitchen... good thing my pc is close by :)

My wife is half Italian also so I know what good food is. Add Italian and New Orleans and you have it made.....food wise anyway.

My wife is half Italian also so I know what good food is. Add Italian and New Orleans and you have it made.....food wise anyway.

Wow, so you eat a spicey meata ball... I hear you guys like it hot over in New Orleans...

I'm in NJ... very close to where the they shoot the Sopranos... and about 35 minutes from the Bada Bing... When I get my new cam, I'm going to try and get some Soprano location shots... (worded that pretty dumb, but you know what I mean)

Well, have a good weekend!!! I"m off to bed!!!

I'm a Sopranos fan and would love to see pics of Bada Bing. PM me and I'll give you my email address to send some shots----if you don't mind.

I'm a Sopranos fan and would love to see pics of Bada Bing. PM me and I'll give you my email address to send some shots----if you don't mind.

Absolutely... The only problem is the bar at the location of the Bada Bing, if i remember correctly has a different name... I remember going to the cheesecake factory, which is right near it and my friends pointing out the Bar... I'm going to check it out anyway...

Yes, they are my granddaughters, and thank you. They are pretty special little girls. That picture is over a year old now. Time does fly.

You got that right. hehehehe

It's spring (at least in the northern hemisphere, where the biggest market is). This is the season when manufacturers introduce new models with better specs, vendors are clearing old stock, and it pays to shop carefully.

You may not find anything of interest here, but a quick look at a show in Toronto can be seen at

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/he...to/general.html

The show's dates will give you some sense of timing, since what will be on display are new models. This is when they come out. (Don't let the slick advertising fool you about the show: the convention centre this is at is halfway to the North Pole so far as the rest of the city is concerned.) If you want to just look at cameras, Henry's and Vistek are two of the biggest local outlets, and both are reputable and have web sites. I don't know how much mail-order business they do but I doubt that they're really set up for it, but you can certainly order from the States or elsewhere if you spot a deal and the exchange rate is favourable, and you might at least get ideas by window shopping.

Like all electronics, specs are getting better and prices lower all the time. I recently purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W100, which is a pocket camera, for about $500 Cdn. (plus tax) including a GB of memory. It has 8.1 megapixels (I can set it to less, but I use the maximum setting). I use it alone, or I take it along with my two 35mm bodies and however many of my seven or eight lenses I have with me. (I am definitely not in the market for a digital reflex camera.) I'm very impressed by the performance of the Sony, and I wouldn't settle for less than the 8 MP now that I have it. It does mean having larger file sizes, but the remedy for that is deleting after viewing on computer.

Like any contraption a camera has features some will love and others will hate. How many features built into your word processor do you actually use? I like the software that comes with my Sony, of all things.

Sorry ggrussell...I didn't want to get so longwinded but should have added..." there are no dig cameras that I am willing to spend the money on" that can take quality photos enlarged to 30X40 and up. "Prosumer" cameras with 8 or 10 megapixels just don't cut it for me. Sure the digital backs can give you 33 megapixels, but I do fine with my med. and large format films that I can't (yet) justify spending 25 or 30 grand on a back alone. I also prefer to go the route of scanning if necessary and have no problems getting 30 to 100 megapixels from my films (most people can't be bothered with the time and expense of this). I can see scanning going the way of the dodo one day though.

Edited by d_deweywright

I can see scanning going the way of the dodo one day though.

Well, maybe, but not any time soon in my mind. Artwork drawn by hand, especially kids artwork, still needs a way to be digitized. I haven't seen any applications that allow you to trace a child's hand with a crayon on the computer without requiring washing the monitor off. :)

I think scanners will be around for awhile yet.

You're right...there are so many other uses for a scanner. I just get caught up in my little world of film. I've just found that as the years go by there are fewer people using scanners to digitize film. It doesn't seem to stop the scanner manufacturers from coming out with more affordable and better film scanners every year though. Lucky for me.

Guest mlpasley
I've just found that as the years go by there are fewer people using scanners to digitize film.

There are fewer people scanning because they all have been sold on the idea that 'digital' pictures are better than analog.

It's when, as you pointed out, they go to 'crop' those digital pictures and end up with a lower resolution that they start asking questions.

EDIT: Found out about the memory, it's not built in... And I took off the filter kit and just bought two filters... feel free to disregard unless you have anything else to add... Thank you!!!

Gary, I have another question since you know about this camera... Does it have built in memory? I see that it has dual slots but don’t know if I need to get memory.

I was just about to buy Sandisk 1GB Compact Flash card but don’t know if i need it... or if that’s even the right card.

Can you think of anything else I may need to buy to get started? I have (in my online cart) the hoya 58mm introductory filter kit, a 5 year warranty and the compact flash card. Do I need XD picture cards?

I know I'll need another flash but I'm going to hold off since I have no business buying this in the first place... LOL :)

Please give me your thoughts. I am so clueless about this as I've been used to using basic sony cyber-shots... any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

Edited by asandull

Just an FYI, Sony has an SLR coming out in July.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....lr&Dept=cameras

Thanks for the heads up... But I've purchased the Olympus E-500 already and as of now I have no regrets... This camera is so cool... I have NEVER used an SLR before and I thought it was going to be difficult... My experience with this camera has been easier than I thought... And I don’t shoot in auto or scene modes... I've been shooting in either P, A, S or M...

Still a lot to learn but Bryan Peterson has been a god send...

I've posted some of my pictures on myspace if anyone is interested... I know I'm so juvenile… having a myspace...LOL

Thanks!!!

Speaking of kids in a candy store and doing or not doing your homework...

I wanted a camcorder in a hurry with some narrowly-defined specifications which for once did not involve much resolution (being a still camera buff), although additional features are always welcome, and ended up getting one on a salesman's recommendation within about 20 minutes. I told him what I wanted it for, he recommended several, pointing out that they had been recently discontinued and were at a discount, I went to the same store's discount outlet half a block away and they had another model in the same series with even more features for the same price. I purchased it on the spot (a Canon Optura 60, new) for 30% off the price it had been a very short time ago.

There really was a rush on this and I still have to learn to use the thing. It has an enormous number of bells and whistles, but both salesmen seemed to know what they were talking about and understood my needs, and I couldn't justify a lengthy search. Maybe I was lucky and maybe I wasn't, but camcorders are foreign to me and only time will tell.

Now that I have it I can read the reviews. If anyone has one and has any horror stories or good reports, I'd be intersted to hear them.

Scanners:

As long as you still see millions of people going to their local drug store or photo shop to have their film developed and printed, you will see scanners still being sold. In one of the local Walmart stores we have (Mega Walmart), there are, it looks like, thousands of those photo print packages in the area where people pick up their prints. Then they have another place in the store where they can go with the memory chip from their digital camera and stick it in the machine and pick what size and cropping they want for a print at about $3.95 for a 4x6, as I recall.

Then they (some of my own kids) bring the prints by my house and want me to scan the prints they have for more---Go figure :) Each time I tell them to forget that machine at the store---Just bring me your memory chip and I'll print them for you. However, I guess as long as I have kids that keep bringing by their color prints, I will continue to have a scanner. :huh:

Frank....