Hannie

Bootable Cd/dvd

Question

In a description of How to make a bootable CD Roxio's Creator version 6 is used. I have Creator version 9 in which I cannot find the following subjects:

1. Load Segment

2. Sector Count

3. Bootable Disc Type: No Emulation

4. File Filter>Alle Files>Hidden files and System files (should be unchecked)

Can anyone tell me where to find these options (the possibilities with the button Options are very limited)

9 answers to this question

Try clicking on the Advanced button, it's all there.

Hello Jim,

This answer makes me a little sad and angry :angry: because I am not that stupid. Of course I have clicked the Advanced button, but the only options I get are:

Publishers Name, Prepared by, App ID, Use Original file Date, Spanning. (Nowhere do I find the options I need like Add hidden files etc. (read my original question). The Data Options button only gives me TAO/DAO, File System options.

I have Roxio Creator 9 LE. I do not know what the LE means, maybe it means it is a limited (light?) version with only a few options.

Hannie

When an OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] buys the rights to use a program as a freebie with a computer or burner, they also say which features they want to have in it. This usually means a reduced program lacking a lot of often-important items.

Yes, EMC 9 LE, like EMC 9 DE and EMC 9 XE, is NOT a full program llike the kind you buy seperately in a store or download from Roxio.

Lynn

EMC 9 Creator Classic once you click on Project, Bootable Disk will bring up a window that will show you the information that you are interested in. Additionally, look under Help, Index and enter boot. You should be able to find more information on boot.

As Lynn mentioned, "LE" versions often leave out functionality since they are low cost stripped down versions of the software and are also supportted only by the PC manufacturer supplying those versions.

The newest version, Creator 2009 will also show the same information. If you should decide to buy the newest version from Roxio (download), I would recommend a "clean install".

EMC 9 Creator Classic once you click on Project, Bootable Disk will bring up a window that will show you the information that you are interested in. Additionally, look under Help, Index and enter boot. You should be able to find more information on boot.

As Lynn mentioned, "LE" versions often leave out functionality since they are low cost stripped down versions of the software and are also supportted only by the PC manufacturer supplying those versions.

The newest version, Creator 2009 will also show the same information. If you should decide to buy the newest version from Roxio (download), I would recommend a "clean install".

Thank you both for your reactions. I'm afraid you are right when you say that the LE-version lacks a lot of options. It means my version is useless for the purpose of making a CD bootable even when there is a tab Make Bootable CD in this version.

I do appreciate your contribution.

Hannie

Before dashing out to get Creator 2009, be sure your computer VASTLY EXCEEDS the "minimum requirements", which are rather a joke.

You might be able to pick up (two Versions older) EMC 9 used someplace like amazon.com or eBay or similar.

Lynn

Download the free-ImgBurn Current version: 2.4.4.0 CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application, #9 in my signature.

This guide should help, http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1779.

What you want is at the bottom of the page, Bootable Disc.

cd

Hello cdanteek

Thank you for your tip. I will certainly try this (when I have time) and let you know if it worked.

Greetings,

Hannie

Download the free-ImgBurn Current version: 2.4.4.0 CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application, #9 in my signature.

This guide should help, http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1779.

What you want is at the bottom of the page, Bootable Disc.

cd

The solution, at last,

As I promised, I will let you and other readers know about the progress I have made so far.

Imgburn (they really deserve a donation) worked fine, I was able to add the items needed to make a CD bootable (this was not possible with Roxio EC9 LE). After booting from CD-device I get the setup menu of Windows XP. I have put XP (Upgrade) with SP3 (slipstreamed) on the bootable CD.

But there is still a problem. Setup asks to place the disk named CD-Rom with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 in station A:. I do not have a floppydisk device, but how do I change station A: to D:?

I used Boot.ima to make the CD bootable.

One week later: finally I found the solution. I used the program nLite to build an ISO file. This program leads you through the necessary steps to make the CD bootable. Then you add folders and files (in my case the Win-XP CD). It worked :rolleyes:

Edited by Hannie