Sign in to follow this  
mloader

Backing Up TV DVD's

Question

Anyone else having trouble backing up DVD's recorded from a DVD recorder for TV?

Everything seems fine during the burning process no errors. The original (sonata volume) plays fine but the copies will not play, I just get a blank screen.

4 answers to this question

Anyone else having trouble backing up DVD's recorded from a DVD recorder for TV?

Everything seems fine during the burning process no errors. The original (sonata volume) plays fine but the copies will not play, I just get a blank screen.

It could be helpful to know some details about what kind of media was used for recording the original DVD (and was it finalized) as well as what kind of media was used for the duplicates. I'm presuming you simply copied the DVD with Popcorn or did you first choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu and then burn the copy from that image file?

It could be helpful to know some details about what kind of media was used for recording the original DVD (and was it finalized) as well as what kind of media was used for the duplicates. I'm presuming you simply copied the DVD with Popcorn or did you first choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu and then burn the copy from that image file?

I used the same media for the copies as the original (the original does play), the disc was finalized (otherwise it won't play on my Mac) and I used the DVD (copy) method in Popcorn1 (1.3 I believe). I have also copied the VIDEO_TS folder and burned that way and got the same result.

I guess really what I am wondering is if anyone is aware of any standalone recorders putting restrictions on DVDs. If so is there a way around it? I'll post back with the recorder model when I get home.

I can use Popcorn to make duplicates of the DVDs I've burned with my Pioneer standalone recorder. There should be no reason why a duplicate burned with Popcorn wouldn't play the same as the original. But that's not happening for you.

Inser the original DVD and choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. When that's finished eject the DVD. Select the disc image with the Image File setting and mount it. This should launch DVD Player. Does it play okay? If so, choose burn a DVD from the disc image. Does this work?

Not sure if this has been covered, on a Mac, use Disk utility to mount the sonata_volume & save as a disc image, make a DVD copy in Toast or burn directly from disc utility, copies play back perfectly, I have yet to try extracting using MPEG Streamclip or similar, hope this helps Mac users at least!