yeeman

Video clips with no audio ?

Question

My Panasonic HDC-HS100 camcorder has it's own software to transfer video files....they come out as m2ts files. Roxio Creator 2009 will automtically convert it to some mpeg format before I can edit it or burn it to disc.

For some SICK reason, one file out of several will end up with NO audio.....usually the first file out of the bunch.

( all video clips recorded the same day will end up in one folder ). I know that when I change the extension to AVI, I can play the file on my Sony laptop ( Vista/32 bit ).....so, it seems that the original file's audio is OK. Since I changed the extension, the file is basically unusable now, you can just play it, you can't drag it into Roxio.....I still have the original m2ts file of course. Playing from the camera to a monitor displays no problem with the audio & video. I don't get it.....why would just the first clip be corrupt ??

I could still use Panasonic's software to burn directly from the camera to my laptop, but it takes quite a while & I need a dual layer disc for 90 mins. of original video.

This has happened with 90 min to 120 min. video shoots.....which yield several video clips automatically. It didn't seem to be a problem with 2 min. clips.

Re-cap: The original ( 30 min. ? ) video file file seems OK, but, Roxio seems to convert this one clip without audio....where could the problem be ????

17 answers to this question

Why is it corrupt? You would have to ask Panasonic… You are not the first!

I think one workaround is to leave a stub file on there for the first file.

If you change the extension to AVI, does Roxio work with it? How about MPG?

Maybe Steve or Gary will recall a better workaround for this.

Why is it corrupt? You would have to ask Panasonic… You are not the first!

I think one workaround is to leave a stub file on there for the first file.

If you change the extension to AVI, does Roxio work with it? How about MPG?

Maybe Steve or Gary will recall a better workaround for this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I mentioned, once I change the extension, there is NOTHING else I can do with that file except play it back on the system it is saved on.....it's a nice little trick just to be able to play the HD file back immediately....even though that file is useless for editing.

I guess I could add a "stub file".......I assume that means just recording anything for 5 mins. to use as the first file.

Edited to the the reply out of the quote.

Edited by grandpabruce

I guess I could add a "stub file".......I assume that means just recording anything for 5 mins. to use as the first file.
I think we have seen this issue and it has something to do with how Panasonic records THE FIRST file. YOu are correct in your assumption.

I think we have seen this issue and it has something to do with how Panasonic records THE FIRST file. YOu are correct in your assumption.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanx.....I'll take it up with Panasonic again.

Thanx.....I'll take it up with Panasonic again.

I think it need only be a couple of seconds long for the first file, try it out.

Also pursue this with Panasonic and let us know what you find.

I think it need only be a couple of seconds long for the first file, try it out.

Also pursue this with Panasonic and let us know what you find.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK...thanx.........at least I'm not alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK...thanx.........at least I'm not alone.

Close to it :lol:

I would think we would see more posts about this than we are???

Can you post 2 small files to a service like UpforDownload.com? I would like to have one of the faulty files as well as one good one to play with.

I am actually having the same issue with a Panasonic HD HS10 High Def camcorder. However, my files are not the opening files of any set of recordings. About 4 files of about 115 have no audio on transfer using Roxio's Capture feature. When transferring these same files using Panasonic's software (into a .m2ts file), video and audio are captured. Likewise, I cannot convert this file to a high def MPEG2 file using the Panasonic software, so I am at a loss. I have attempted converting the .m2ts file using MyDVD10 (by importing it into a presentation (Roxio converts the .m2ts file to MPEG2), I have re-downloaded the files at least 5 times each, I have deleted some video clips from the Panasonic hard drive and then attempted downloading the same files again, I have used different USB ports on my computer, etc. These same four clips are continually transferred, captured, or converted with no audio. Weird.

How could the Panasonic software transfer the files from my camcorder WITH audio on these same files, while Roxio continually loses audio with the same files? Has anyone come up with a reason for this failure or a solution? Thanks!!!

I am actually having the same issue with a Panasonic HD HS10 High Def camcorder. However, my files are not the opening files of any set of recordings. About 4 files of about 115 have no audio on transfer using Roxio's Capture feature. When transferring these same files using Panasonic's software (into a .m2ts file), video and audio are captured. Likewise, I cannot convert this file to a high def MPEG2 file using the Panasonic software, so I am at a loss. I have attempted converting the .m2ts file using MyDVD10 (by importing it into a presentation (Roxio converts the .m2ts file to MPEG2), I have re-downloaded the files at least 5 times each, I have deleted some video clips from the Panasonic hard drive and then attempted downloading the same files again, I have used different USB ports on my computer, etc. These same four clips are continually transferred, captured, or converted with no audio. Weird.

How could the Panasonic software transfer the files from my camcorder WITH audio on these same files, while Roxio continually loses audio with the same files? Has anyone come up with a reason for this failure or a solution? Thanks!!!

You will have to ask Panasonic… They are non-standard and I guess that is the way they decided to go.

You don't even have Creator 2009???

Thanks for the quick response, Jim. I do have Creator 2009 Ultimate. And my camcorder is on the "list" of approved AVCHD camcorders that should transfer without difficulty using Roxio's capture software. Panasonic said that since the clips are transferring without issue using their software, then there is no problem with the camcorder or the file. Is it Roxio's capturing mechanism seeing something wrong with these files, or is it Panasonic's encoding of these specific four files that are causing the problem?

I don’t understand why you use one software then another for the same files?

Take us through this in detailed steps from the moment you walk into your room with the camcorder… Details mean I plug in a USB cable to the camcorder, then..., not simply, I download the files :lol:

When you load one in VW and play it – is there sound? And if you double click it, does the soundwave appear?

Also like I offered the other poster, upload a short copy of a faulty file and we will look at it.

Hi again. Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about separate programs, so I will clarify.

First, when I use Roxio's "Capture Video" tool on Creator 2009 Ultimate, I first click "Capture Video". I plug in my Panasonic AVCHD camcorder (HDC HS10) and connect the camcorder to my computer via a USB 2.0 cable. I have used different ports on my computer to make sure that it is not the USB port on my computer that is the problem. I then select the file or clip I would like to "capture" from the camcorder to place on my hard drive...in this case, file "0092.mts" from my camcorder. I then rename the file to "Family Videos00092". It is a 2 min and 46 sec clip. I then click "Import Now" and it transfers the video from my camcorder to the computer. When completed, this file (along with only 3 others out of 115 clips) has no sound. I will place this file on the site as you recommended for review.

I have also used Panasonic's "HD Writer" program to capture this same file (0092.mts) and place it on my computer. When I use that program, HD Writer captures the clip and places it on my hard drive in an ".m2ts" file, which uses Media Player to view it. When done this way, the file works with video AND audio. This same HD Writer program, unfortunately, does not have the ability to capture the HD video and place it in any other format besides ".m2ts".

I have also tried to convert this same working ".m2ts" file to a .MPG file using MyDVD 11 (part of the Creator 2009 package). To do this, I open "MyDVD11" and click on a "New AVCHD Project on Standard DVDs". I then click "Add New Movie" and click on the working "0092.m2ts" file that was captured from my camcorder using HD Writer. Roxio's program states "To use this file, it must be converted to an editable format. The original file will not be affected. Would you like to convert it now." I select "Yes". It then asks me to save it as a name to a folder and I do so. It then "converts the file" to an MPEG2, I think. In MyDVD, under Project View, "Movies", there is no sound on the video. When I double-click on the file to bring up VW, there is likewise no sound. In MyDVD 11, I have also tried to "Import the Movie" directly from the camcorder, with similar results.

I hope that helps. Sorry again for the confusion. I will try to post the file to the site. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info!

I cannot seem to find that model on the Panasonic site??? Doesn’t mean it isn’t there, just that I can’t find it :lol:

Similar models seem to be HDD recorders. In that case you do not Capture, you copy the files onto your local HDD.

VideoWave and MyDVD will read the files you copy over. As mentioned before, sometimes the very first file will lack audio but not the rest. Easy fix, start with a few seconds of recording in the first file to be discarded.

But if you have a camcorder that records on HDD or Memory Card, you defiantly do not want to Capture! Just copy.

Clear you head, forget everything else and just try it the way I suggested.

Hi again - You're right...I have the Panasonic HDC HS-9, not HS-10...no such model.

I did what you suggested and ran into the same problem. The clips are stored as ".mts" files on the HDD drive. When copied directly over to my hard drive, I must choose to open them with Windows Media Player. Once again, the audio and video work perfectly in the ".mts" format, as they do in the ".m2ts" format when capturing them from the Panasonic HD Writer.

When Roxio MyDVD "converts" the ".mts" file (just like the .m2ts file), it changes it into an editable .mpg file and I lose audio. It is only on those four clips.

I am in the process of uploading the shortest of the "problem child" clips on to YouTube and will copy the link here when completed. I was unable to get on the other link you recommended previously. Thanks.

For some reason, the video clip is slower than the original and is a 50 sec clip instead of 25 sec. Maybe that has something to do with it...or maybe not. It is located here...

If ALL of of the other files work fine in Videowave/MyDVD, I would suspect those four 'problem' files are corrupt somehow. I have seen many corrupt files that would play in WMP yet not import correctly into applications. Hard drives in camcorders are susceptible to file corruption especially if handled roughly (jars, bumps, etc.) while recording.

I would suggest running those files through an application that can fix the issue. TMPGenc has a free version although I find it a bit difficult to use.

OK. Thanks for the advice. I may try that program. If I can't get it to work, I may use my HD Writer to convert it into a lower grade quality MPG2 file less than half the size of the original. It will allow me to do that conversion...just not the HD quality. At least, I'll then have some audio, even though the video won't be top notch.