• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Catsnkites

hangs when saving

Question

On July 4th, I created a DVD using VideoWave and MyDVD. Both programs worked just fine. I burned several copies of my dvd and all was good.

Now I want to make another DVD. I imported my video with no problems. I opened VideoWave and got started. After about 15 minutes of work, I decided to save the file. The program went into a coma and the only way to get out was ctrl-alt-delete/end task.

I tried again; I restarted the computer and tried again; I shut down the computer and tried again ... same result each time.

I tried restoring to an earlier point, but the restore program would not let me restore past a Windows update (don't know why ...) I assume something in the windows update is causing my problem. It wasn't anything big ... update Silverlight, monthly security updates and such. I am running IE6 since I know IE7 and EMC9 do not play well together.

There have been no other changes to my computer ... no new software, hardware, nothing.

Any ideas?

On another note, is Roxio Creator 2009 compatible with IE7 (and now IE8)? Does it exhibit the same in-stability the earlier versions seem to have? (drag to disk never worked right; everytime Windows is updated, Roxio gets upset, etc.)

Thanks!

Susie in Kansas

Edited to add ... the specs in my sig line are incorrect ... that machine is in pieces on my bench.

New machine is Intel Core2 Duo, 2.4 GHz; 3GB RAM; 500GB HDD; generic CD-DVD ROM; Samsung WriteMaster SH-S203n DVD writer; Windows XP Pro, SP2

Edited by Catsnkites

9 answers to this question

On July 4th, I created a DVD using VideoWave and MyDVD. Both programs worked just fine. I burned several copies of my dvd and all was good.

Now I want to make another DVD. I imported my video with no problems. I opened VideoWave and got started. After about 15 minutes of work, I decided to save the file. The program went into a coma and the only way to get out was ctrl-alt-delete/end task.

I tried again; I restarted the computer and tried again; I shut down the computer and tried again ... same result each time.

I tried restoring to an earlier point, but the restore program would not let me restore past a Windows update (don't know why ...) I assume something in the windows update is causing my problem. It wasn't anything big ... update Silverlight, monthly security updates and such. I am running IE6 since I know IE7 and EMC9 do not play well together.

There have been no other changes to my computer ... no new software, hardware, nothing.

Any ideas?

On another note, is Roxio Creator 2009 compatible with IE7 (and now IE8)? Does it exhibit the same in-stability the earlier versions seem to have? (drag to disk never worked right; everytime Windows is updated, Roxio gets upset, etc.)

Thanks!

Susie in Kansas

Edited to add ... the specs in my sig line are incorrect ... that machine is in pieces on my bench.

New machine is Intel Core2 Duo, 2.4 GHz; 3GB RAM; 500GB HDD; generic CD-DVD ROM; Samsung WriteMaster SH-S203n DVD writer; Windows XP Pro, SP2

You did have something change. You had a Windows update, which may have caused you problems.

1. First, try a short video project. Bring in your video, then immediately try to save it. If it does, then do your work in small increments, and save often.

2. If your computer freezes, when you try to save, after bringing in your video, then you have problems, either with the video file, or the Roxio software has been corrupted.

If what you do in 1., is successful, then it isn't the video file.

If that doesn't work, which means that 2. rules, then see if the video file plays in Windows Media Player.

Let us know what happens. I don't want to go through steps as to what to possibly do next, until you report back with your results.

Nope, it doesn't save at all ... even if I pull up the most recent project and try to simply save it ... program hangs. If I start a new project ... hangs on save.

I think it's a result of the most recent Windows update, though I can't image why! Except Windows and Roxio don't seem to play well together!

And yes, the captured video plays fine on it's own.

Opinions on the latest and greatest (Roxio 2009)? How does it work right out the box? I remember jumping through all kinds of hoops to optimize EMC 9.

Susie

Opinions on the latest and greatest (Roxio 2009)? How does it work right out the box? I remember jumping through all kinds of hoops to optimize EMC 9.

Just realize a new version will likely be out w/i 2 months ....

Nope, it doesn't save at all ... even if I pull up the most recent project and try to simply save it ... program hangs. If I start a new project ... hangs on save.

I think it's a result of the most recent Windows update, though I can't image why! Except Windows and Roxio don't seem to play well together!

And yes, the captured video plays fine on it's own.

Susie

Follow the clean install instructions, here. Don't skip any steps:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...6CR&PARAMS=

There is no point getting a new version of the software, until you square away the problem with your computer. Your results will be the same, if you don't get your problem fixed.

Edited by grandpabruce

****sigh**** OK ... I was really hoping to avoid this .... oh well ...why couldn't it have been "oh, yeah that happens, change this one setting" :blink:

I really like Roxio .... it's just this kind of thing really annoys me to no end! <_<

I'll follow the directions, but I won't like it! :blink:

Thanks!

YAY! It works now!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

OK, so for my next trick ... um ... question ....

Referring to my first post ...

I downgraded from IE7 to IE6 due to Roxio issues.

I have (obviously) EMC9 ... now that I've done a clean install, will it run with IE7 or 8?

YAY! It works now!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

OK, so for my next trick ... um ... question ....

Referring to my first post ...

I downgraded from IE7 to IE6 due to Roxio issues.

I have (obviously) EMC9 ... now that I've done a clean install, will it run with IE7 or 8?

It's good to hear you got it fixed.

Image your hard drive, then try IE 8. If it doesn't work right, image back to what worked.

Image your hard drive, then try IE 8. If it doesn't work right, image back to what worked.

Do you mean create a restore point? Or something else?

Do you mean create a restore point? Or something else?

No, I mean make an image of your hard drive, with a program such as Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image.