• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 natty1206

natty1206

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:42 PM

I have recently copied non copyrighted dvds starting at 7GB of memory on my computer.  i left the program and went back in later to make another copy of a dvd and i didnt have enough memory for the computer to create the temporary file.  i figured that it didnt delete this temporary file from the previous copy becuase my memory on C went from 7gb to 3gb after i burned the first time.  isnt roxio supposed to create a temp file and then delete it when it is finished copying the disc???  i also cannot find the temorary file anywhere so that i could delete it myself.  now i have low memory becuase of this and i cant copy and more discs because i guess the temp file still exists...how do i fix this problem and recover my memory???

#2 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,487 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (natty1206 @ Aug 30 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have recently copied non copyrighted dvds starting at 7GB of memory on my computer.  i left the program and went back in later to make another copy of a dvd and i didnt have enough memory for the computer to create the temporary file.  i figured that it didnt delete this temporary file from the previous copy becuase my memory on C went from 7gb to 3gb after i burned the first time.  isnt roxio supposed to create a temp file and then delete it when it is finished copying the disc???  i also cannot find the temorary file anywhere so that i could delete it myself.  now i have low memory becuase of this and i cant copy and more discs because i guess the temp file still exists...how do i fix this problem and recover my memory???

Try rebooting your computer.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#3 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,058 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

Natty,

You should find the temporary files stored in C:\users\%yourname%\Appdata\local\temp [where %yourname% is your username on your system]. They will most likely be there as .GI files, though they might be .tmp files.

If your Sonic program doesn't automatically delete them after the copy you can go find them and kill them yourself, [although Windows' default settings might hide some of the path], or you could try Windows' disk cleanup. The free download CCleaner is also very good for this sort of cleanup.

Edited by Brendon, 30 August 2009 - 02:42 PM.

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windws XP, 7, and 8

"I did it"

#4 Nick**

Nick**

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

View PostBrendon, on 30 August 2009 - 02:41 PM, said:

Natty,

You should find the temporary files stored in <b>C:\users\%yourname%\Appdata\local\temp</b> [where %yourname% is your username on your system]. They will most likely be there as .GI files, though they might be .tmp files.

If your Sonic program doesn't automatically delete them after the copy you can go find them and kill them yourself, [although Windows' default settings might hide some of the path], <b>or</b> you could try Windows' disk cleanup. The free download <a href="http://www.ccleaner.com" target="_blank">CCleaner</a> is also very good for this sort of cleanup.
I have been having the same exact problem, but when I went to C:\users\%yourname%\appdata\local\temp, I looked in all of the folders, yet I couldn't find any files. I had copied a 8 GB no copyright Dual Layer disc, and when I came back from dinner, my computer's memory went from having 8.35 GB to having 1.59 GB

#5 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,058 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:58 AM

Nick**,

Search your computer for .GI and .TMP files, making sure that you include [in the advanced search options] hidden and system files and folders, and subfolders.

If they're taking up 7GB, they should stick out like sore thumbs. Once you find one big one, note the folder it's living in and go there to delete them all and get your disk space back.

Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windws XP, 7, and 8

"I did it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users