• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dennisliv

dennisliv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

ronnie gehrer brought this up in another thread, but never received a response. I have the same question:

When I download the update and try to install it, I get a message that says "There may be a problem with this disk image. Are you sure you want to open it? Opening this disk image may make your computer less secure or cause other problems"

so now what? do I ignore this & go ahead to open the disk image, whatever that means? at the moment, I'm wary about finishing the download until I know it's safe.

background: correspondence with Roxio got me boilerplate instructions about making sure to "secure trash" a long list of 10.0.1 files, which I did (it took hours), & making sure I had the latest Stuffit Expander, which I do. there's also something about the possibility the download wasn't complete, but how would one know? I'm assuming everything is proper & just want to know if I can open the disk image. or if I should take the warning seriously, what do I do?

Dennis

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,649 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:03 PM

I don't have Snow Leopard, but maybe you should download the 10.0.2 update using Firefox to see if that makes any difference to the integrity of the downloaded disc image file. Also, Roxio claims another Toast update is coming within a week so you may just want to wait a few days to see if that is better. I have no idea why you're getting the error message and don't feel I can advise you how to proceed with the existing disc image file.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 dennisliv

dennisliv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Sep 26 2009, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have Snow Leopard, but maybe you should download the 10.0.2 update using Firefox to see if that makes any difference to the integrity of the downloaded disc image file. Also, Roxio claims another Toast update is coming within a week so you may just want to wait a few days to see if that is better. I have no idea why you're getting the error message and don't feel I can advise you how to proceed with the existing disc image file.

Thanks, guess I'll wait to see next update. but I still wonder what that message is about. I'm not clear if it indicates some download error or is just a generic warning that everyone gets when opening a download, at least from Roxio. actually, does everyone get this & ignore it?

Dennis

#4 patatrox

patatrox

Roxio Mac Guy

• Roxio Staff
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (dennisliv @ Sep 27 2009, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, guess I'll wait to see next update. but I still wonder what that message is about. I'm not clear if it indicates some download error or is just a generic warning that everyone gets when opening a download, at least from Roxio. actually, does everyone get this & ignore it?

Dennis

i'll give you the short version, then the long version.

Short: Open it, it'll cause no harm in this specific case.

Long:  When you download a file in Leopard (and Snow Leopard), it's marked as a quarantined file.  This occurs by the OS adding an attribute to the file, tagging where it came from (such as "downloaded by Safari").  This is what causes the user to see prompts when running files that were downloaded from the Internet, you may remember being asked to confirm you'd like to launch program XXX downloaded by Safari on XXX date.  As a new part of Snow Leopard, files which are tagged with the quarantine attribute also have integrity checked by fsck, and if that verify fails you will see the message you described, triggered by an unused node in the disc image.

- patatrox

#5 dennisliv

dennisliv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (patatrox @ Sep 29 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'll give you the short version, then the long version.

Short: Open it, it'll cause no harm in this specific case.

Long:  When you download a file in Leopard (and Snow Leopard), it's marked as a quarantined file.  This occurs by the OS adding an attribute to the file, tagging where it came from (such as "downloaded by Safari").  This is what causes the user to see prompts when running files that were downloaded from the Internet, you may remember being asked to confirm you'd like to launch program XXX downloaded by Safari on XXX date.  As a new part of Snow Leopard, files which are tagged with the quarantine attribute also have integrity checked by fsck, and if that verify fails you will see the message you described, triggered by an unused node in the disc image.

Good, I gather the message is irrelevant in this case, but inquiring minds wonder:

In what cases WOULD it cause harm to open an image that is tagged with this warning?

What is an "unused node in the disc image" & why would I want to open a file that has failed an integrity check triggered by this node?

#6 philolog

philolog

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (dennisliv @ Sep 27 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dennis

Can't see that Firefox makes any difference. There is nothing more difficult in this world than getting Roxio to download an update.
Philolog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users