• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jonb

jonb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:56 PM

I have windows xp with Realtek HD Audio sound card....inputs are line volume , mic, and cd. I've made sure all are actively on...but when I play internet music...line doesn't capture audio..mic does through the external speakers on the lap top. Any suggestions? will an updated driver for the card fix this? Do I need to have 'stereo mix or wave mix' options here for it to work?  any help with this would be appreciated. thanks.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,541 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:52 AM

Uh, do you have a Roxio product?  Which one?  You posted in an area where we can't tell.

A lot of people have issues with Realteck audio chips.  You don't have an audio card.  Updated drivers are usually a good idea.

When you open the audio capture part of the program, what options do you see for the inputs -- are those the only 3.  When you say you checked to make sure they are actively "on", are those the only options you have when you go to enable the Recording Devices.   Read this.
You may have to mute those external mics.   See your laptop manufacturers web site to see how to do it.  If memory serves, there were several models of Dell computers where there were problems with the ability to turn off the mics.

Edited by sknis, 27 September 2009 - 03:29 AM.

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,940 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:54 AM

My last desktop had Realtek HD chip and I had no issues.  Can't remember if it was Stereo Mix or Speakers.  If you are using Vista, make sure disabled features are visible.
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#4 jonb

jonb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

I'm using a 2006 toshiba techra A7 laptop with windows xp sp3, 2GB RAM & intel dual core centrino chip with 2.0 ghz speed.

Just bought the new roxio creator 2010.   my realtek hd audio has never had any problems.  But only has audio inputs for line volume, cd volume and mic. there's no 'stereo mix' or 'wave mix'. so when I bought the new roxio creator 2010 and tried to capture audio from the internet radio it worked with the mic open picking up sound from mic...but not the line volume, which is where I suspected it should work from. giving you a clean audio feed.

I suspect I need to update the drive anyway...Any suggestions for which driver update websites are the best?  I found website for 'driver cure" from paretologic...it scanned my computer and said I have 25 updates for drivers...and wants to charge 37.95 for the updates and their other software as a bundle.  thanks for the help..Jon

#5 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,238 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (jonb @ Sep 27 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm using a 2006 toshiba techra A7 laptop with windows xp sp3, 2GB RAM & intel dual core centrino chip with 2.0 ghz speed.

Just bought the new roxio creator 2010.   my realtek hd audio has never had any problems.  But only has audio inputs for line volume, cd volume and mic. there's no 'stereo mix' or 'wave mix'. so when I bought the new roxio creator 2010 and tried to capture audio from the internet radio it worked with the mic open picking up sound from mic...but not the line volume, which is where I suspected it should work from. giving you a clean audio feed.

I suspect I need to update the drive anyway...Any suggestions for which driver update websites are the best?  I found website for 'driver cure" from paretologic...it scanned my computer and said I have 25 updates for drivers...and wants to charge 37.95 for the updates and their other software as a bundle.  thanks for the help..Jon

SCAM go the website (toshiba techra) in your case for updates. OEM's like Dell, Sony and Toshiba have proprietary Oem hardware, updates, firmware, and drivers should come from them..

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#6 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,541 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

Run away fast !  Update drivers primarily from Toshiba.  Since that laptop is old. even Microsoft may have updates.  Go to Microsoft's web site and let it look for updates.  Check the optional updates first.

Toshiba in the past has not been very good at driver updates so you might have better luck going to the Realteck web site to get the drivers for the audio chip.
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#7 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,940 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

www.realtek.com.tw  They seem to update the HD drivers on a regular basis.
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#8 jonb

jonb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

okay...I've updated the driver for the realtek hd audio codec to the lastest version...but roxio creater 2010 does not let me capture audio from the output of the sound, only the input. that doesn't make sense.  roxio should pick up from the output so that the audio quality is cd quality. and even if the sound came through the line in it should be right...but neither work.  mad.gif   don't know what to do now. suggestings anyone?

#9 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,541 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE (jonb @ Sep 27 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
okay...I've updated the driver for the realtek hd audio codec to the lastest version...but roxio creater 2010 does not let me capture audio from the output of the sound, only the input. that doesn't make sense.  roxio should pick up from the output so that the audio quality is cd quality. and even if the sound came through the line in it should be right...but neither work.  mad.gif   don't know what to do now. suggestings anyone?

First, confirm that you enabled your recording devices including those that are hidden and or disabled.  Select your device and make sure the option is enabled.  You may want to make that input the default device for now.

vista_audio.jpg

Now, open PANDORA start playing some music and open capture from sound card.  Try everythng you have in the drop down screen.  One of those should work.

Attached Images

• audio_from_soundcard.jpg

Edited by sknis, 28 September 2009 - 02:36 AM.

Apple =OSX 10.5

#10 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:57 AM

Those are good except they're using XP.

Line in won't work as you're not using it listening to Internet radio.

Under Capture from you should see Reltek.

Under Input you need to use something like Stereo Mix,What you hear,Wav or some such thing.
What they all are is what you are listening to.

If you can't get one of them then you probably have a driver issue with the chipset not presenting the Input to the OS,therefore to Roxio.
RIP Johnny Winter

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#11 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,541 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (tbrewst @ Sep 28 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those are good except they're using XP.

Line in won't work as you're not using it listening to Internet radio.

Under Capture from you should see Reltek.

Under Input you need to use something like Stereo Mix,What you hear,Wav or some such thing.
What they all are is what you are listening to.

If you can't get one of them then you probably have a driver issue with the chipset not presenting the Input to the OS,therefore to Roxio.

Missed that but it is even easier in XP !  wink.gif

Apple =OSX 10.5

#12 jonb

jonb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (sknis @ Sep 28 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Missed that but it is even easier in XP !  wink.gif

Thanks for the tip in Vista...my wifes laptop is Vista..and the capture from internet audio works fine...she captures the audio from the 'speakers' input...

But yes...I'm using XP and Realtek...I've updated the driver to the very latest version from the REALtek web site...but still no luck. There is no 'stereo mix', etc to capture from...so at this point ...I'm stymied!  sad.gif  don't know what else to do. Jon

#13 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,195 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (jonb @ Sep 28 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the tip in Vista...my wifes laptop is Vista..and the capture from internet audio works fine...she captures the audio from the 'speakers' input...

But yes...I'm using XP and Realtek...I've updated the driver to the very latest version from the REALtek web site...but still no luck. There is no 'stereo mix', etc to capture from...so at this point ...I'm stymied!  sad.gif  don't know what else to do. Jon

It would appear your missing the Stereo Mix,          Wave Out Mix or a similar option.

Some sound card drivers do not support this option and no such option is available  in the Input drop-down list.

What is the model of you Realtek ?

Some options are hidden deep in the Sound and Audio Devices in your Control Panel.

I have the Realtek AC 97 and below is to show an example of one such option:

AC_97.png

Edited by ogdens, 28 September 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#14 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:43 AM

The end result is that Roxio is getting it's info from the OS.
If the chipset is not presenting them to the OS then Roxio won't see them either.

Make sure that the Use Mixer Features is checked.

Go to either the mixer provided with the chipset or to Windows mixer and see what you have.
Whatever is there should be available to Roxio.
RIP Johnny Winter

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
Rosewill Destroyer case
Onboard Realtek HD audio

#15 jonb

jonb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (tbrewst @ Sep 29 2009, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The end result is that Roxio is getting it's info from the OS.
If the chipset is not presenting them to the OS then Roxio won't see them either.

Make sure that the Use Mixer Features is checked.

Go to either the mixer provided with the chipset or to Windows mixer and see what you have.
Whatever is there should be available to Roxio.

Thank you for the insights...I've done all that I can...ie what you all have suggested...everything is enabled...mixers, line in...you name it.  It seems tha the program works...it just does get the internet audio as a direct feed. It can record through the mic volume input but not line or cd volume which are the only two other inputs that roxio shows from the realtek driver. this driver is the latest verson as well.

And yes there is no stereo mix option in the input choice from realtek. I thinking I should uninstall the program and reinstall as an option. But in the final analysis...all the audio opptions are enabled...roxio just doesn't get the right input feed the audio in directly.  mad.gif  crazy!

#16 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,195 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (jonb @ Sep 29 2009, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for the insights...I've done all that I can...ie what you all have suggested...everything is enabled...mixers, line in...you name it.  It seems tha the program works...it just does get the internet audio as a direct feed. It can record through the mic volume input but not line or cd volume which are the only two other inputs that roxio shows from the realtek driver. this driver is the latest verson as well.

And yes there is no stereo mix option in the input choice from realtek. I thinking I should uninstall the program and reinstall as an option. But in the final analysis...all the audio opptions are enabled...roxio just doesn't get the right input feed the audio in directly.  mad.gif  crazy!

Go into your Volume Control Setting > Options > Properties > select Recording > put a check mark beside all the boxes (one of which should be Stereo Mix) then hit ok.

The following screen should come up:

2009_09_29_1502.png

Yours may not be exactly as shown, but make sure you have selected the Stereo Mix.

If you have selected the correct option as shown in post 13 it should work.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Roxio is not going to fix your problem. As already has been said Roxio gets its instructions from the OS that it receives from your chipset.

Edited by ogdens, 29 September 2009 - 11:45 AM.

#17 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (jonb @ Sep 29 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It can record through the mic volume input but not line or cd volume which are the only two other inputs that roxio shows from the realtek driver.

That's right.It will record through the Mic input if you put a mic near your speakers.
It won't use Line In as the internets not going through the line in on your chipset.
The same with CD,there's nothing playing in your CD device.

Listen to what ogdens says.
RIP Johnny Winter

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
Rosewill Destroyer case
Onboard Realtek HD audio

#18 jonb

jonb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (tbrewst @ Sep 30 2009, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's right.It will record through the Mic input if you put a mic near your speakers.
It won't use Line In as the internets not going through the line in on your chipset.
The same with CD,there's nothing playing in your CD device.

Listen to what ogdens says.

Okay...Ogdens.....here's my problem...I must not have a version of Realtek like yours.  when I open my volume control...and select inputs...stereo mix is not one of the options...just CD, line & Mic.   How can I get a Realtek version that will have this option?  This seems to be the heart of the problem..here's the driver installed on my computer...

Name Realtek High Definition Audio
Manufacturer Realtek
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0861&SUBSYS_11791205&REV_1003\4&1E09AF89&0&0001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkhdaud.sys (5.10.0.5936 built by: WinDDK, 5.64 MB (5,911,552 bytes), 12/22/2005 8:38 PM)

just in the last week i've gone to the realtek website and updated to this driver...is there a newer one? Please advise...thank you...Jon

QUOTE (jonb @ Oct 1 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay...Ogdens.....here's my problem...I must not have a version of Realtek like yours.  when I open my volume control...and select inputs...stereo mix is not one of the options...just CD, line & Mic.   How can I get a Realtek version that will have this option?  This seems to be the heart of the problem..here's the driver installed on my computer...

Manufacturer Realtek
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0861&SUBSYS_11791205&REV_1003\4&1E09AF89&0&0001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkhdaud.sys (5.10.0.5936 built by: WinDDK, 5.64 MB (5,911,552 bytes), 12/22/2005 8:38 PM)

just in the last week i've gone to the realtek website and updated to this driver...is there a newer one? Please advise...thank you...Jon

just to add...my realtek HD audio driver version is 2.33...I see 2.34 is now on their website.  AC97 is what you show in the above illustration...how do I get that?  thank you..J

#19 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,195 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (jonb @ Oct 1 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Manufacturer Realtek
Status OK

just to add...my realtek HD audio driver version is 2.33...I see 2.34 is now on their website.  AC97 is what you show in the above illustration...how do I get that?  thank you..J

Dont worry about the Volume Control settings right now......look at pic in post 13

On pic 1,  highlight your Realtek, then select properties, that will bring up pic 2 , select the properties tab, scroll down to the Mixer devices, click on the + and your Realtek should come up, highlight it and select properties, that should bring up pic 3 where you select the Mixer feature.

Is this were you got your driver update  http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...p;GetDown=false

Edited by ogdens, 01 October 2009 - 12:36 PM.

#20 jonb

jonb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (ogdens @ Oct 1 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont worry about the Volume Control settings right now......look at pic in post 13

On pic 1,  highlight your Realtek, then select properties, that will bring up pic 2 , select the properties tab, scroll down to the Mixer devices, click on the + and your Realtek should come up, highlight it and select properties, that should bring up pic 3 where you select the Mixer feature.

Is this were you got your driver update  http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...p;GetDown=false

yes..i did this...with the current driver....and the only mixer options was as previously stated...cd/line/mic.  no stereo mix.  i went to the realtek site and downloaded AC97....executable file...and loaded it...but it doesn't show up in the drop down box under 'hardward' in audio devices. Do i need to delete the previous driver first so this loads in...or does it just erase and rewrite the new driver in?  this is getting crazy...it's already crazy!  thanks...J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users