• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 81 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

MontanaD

Thin White Border In PhotoSuite

Question

Hello everyone -- hope someone can help me with an issue.

I have edited numerous photos for display in a digital photo frame with PhotoSuite in Roxio 9. All are in JPEG format. In some pictures, not all, a very thin white border is being added along the top & left side of the photo. I've tried recropping, resizing, etc. and cannot get rid of the border.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

10 answers to this question

Hello everyone -- hope someone can help me with an issue.

I have edited numerous photos for display in a digital photo frame with PhotoSuite in Roxio 9. All are in JPEG format. In some pictures, not all, a very thin white border is being added along the top & left side of the photo. I've tried recropping, resizing, etc. and cannot get rid of the border.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

What program do you have, full name please? There is no Roxio 9! There is a version called EMC 9 and a newer version called Creator 2009 - they are 2 years apart

Are the the white borders visible in PhotoSuite as well as when you view them in the digital photo frame? Or only in the digital photo frame? Have you added any effects to the images in PhotoSuite before saving as jpgs?

Are the the white borders visible in PhotoSuite as well as when you view them in the digital photo frame? Or only in the digital photo frame? Have you added any effects to the images in PhotoSuite before saving as jpgs?

The border is visible in PhotoSuite, although very thin. I didn't notice it until I viewed the photos in the digital frame, then when I attempted to recrop them in PhotoSuite, I saw the border. I've added no effects.

The border is visible in PhotoSuite, although very thin. I didn't notice it until I viewed the photos in the digital frame, then when I attempted to recrop them in PhotoSuite, I saw the border. I've added no effects.

Sometimes you can get jpg artifact from too much compression. Were the ones with the white border saved as a jpg more times than the others? Or did you simply bring one in, crop it, save it, and nothing else for each image?

Sometimes you can get jpg artifact from too much compression. Were the ones with the white border saved as a jpg more times than the others? Or did you simply bring one in, crop it, save it, and nothing else for each image?

They were all resized to fit the frame (near 800 x 600 pixels) so that the frame wouldn't automatically crop. But while all were resized and/or cropped, not all are displaying the white border. I've looked at dimension, pixel, etc. and can't find why some are showing the border and some are not. Grrrr ...

Thanks for trying to help, btw.

They were all resized to fit the frame (near 800 x 600 pixels) so that the frame wouldn't automatically crop. But while all were resized and/or cropped, not all are displaying the white border. I've looked at dimension, pixel, etc. and can't find why some are showing the border and some are not. Grrrr ...

Thanks for trying to help, btw.

I Googled a bit and people seem to have similar trouble with other software, too. If you want to upload one of the originals somewhere I can try to replicate the problem in PhotoSuite. PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting the image link publicly here.

EDIT:

Try this: Open the original in PhotoSuite. Choose File > Save As and when the Save As Dialog comes up, click on the File of Type drop down arrow to reveal the other format choices. Choose to save the image as a TIFF. Now crop. Are the white lines still there? If not, edit as a tif until you are ready for your final Save and then Save As a jpg.

Edited by karri

<!--quoteo(post=293142:date=Sep 30 2009, 01:38 PM:name=MontanaD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MontanaD @ Sep 30 2009, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They were all resized to fit the frame (near 800 x 600 pixels) so that the frame wouldn't automatically crop. But while all were resized and/or cropped, not all are displaying the white border. I've looked at dimension, pixel, etc. and can't find why some are showing the border and some are not. Grrrr ...

Thanks for trying to help, btw.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I Googled a bit and people seem to have similar trouble with other software, too. If you want to upload one of the originals somewhere I can try to replicate the problem in PhotoSuite. PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting the image link publicly here.

EDIT:

Try this: Open the original in PhotoSuite. Choose File > Save As and when the Save As Dialog comes up, click on the File of Type drop down arrow to reveal the other format choices. Choose to save the image as a TIFF. Now crop. Are the white lines still there? If not, edit as a tif until you are ready for your final Save and then Save As a jpg.

Although this question was asked 17 Months ago... I too have this same issue with Photosuite about the "White Lines" (Top and Left-hand Sides).

The issue (for me) is that I am trying to create my very own DVD or Blu-Ray Covers.

Once I've created and DVD-FRONT CANVAS (Right Side), DVD-BACK CANVAS (Left Side), and DVD-SPINE CANVAS (Middle) all separately, I open a new canvas (my forth) so that i can place the previous 3 canvases (FRONT, BACK, & SPINE) together to create one LARGE CANVAS. After that, I save this new LARGE CANVAS as a JPG, GIF, TIFF, etc... HERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES... When I open to view that LARGE CANVAS, as a JPG, GIF, TIFF file (that I just saved)... I can see two "White Lines" on each side, where I placed the SPINE CANVAS (the middle). Also, I can see "White Lines" on the very left side of the image as well as on TOP.

It seems that each image (Canvas) individually had "White Lines" on the TOP and LEFT-HAND sides, which totaled 3 vertical lines and 1 one large horizontal line at the top of the finished larger image.

(These "White Lines" are better seen when all the images are together, vs when you see the images seperately)

I know the only way I think I could avoid these "White Lines" is just by creating that one LARGE CANVAS altogether, instead of creating 3 separate ones; but for me, creating these DVD / Blu-ray covers would be that much harder to do.

I'm still not sure why ROXIO's PHOTOSUITE leaves / creates these "White Lines" in the first place. I've tried "CROPPING" and "RE-SIZING" each image, to cover these annoying lines, but it doesn't work.

The only way, for me, to get around this headache is to just create one large canvas and place all the photos, logo, etc. that I need inside that one canvas and go from there.... OR... I can try and use "Another" program that could place my 3 images together, without any awkward "White Lines" appearing.

I hope this has been helpful for someone or anyone who uses this program.

I think the programmer didn't realize what would happen if you created one LARGE CANVAS from MULTIPLE CANVASES.

Edited by Sylentwolf

Although this question was asked 17 Months ago... I too have this same issue with Photosuite about the "White Lines" (Top and Left-hand Sides).

The issue (for me) is that I am trying to create my very own DVD or Blu-Ray Covers.

Once I've created and DVD-FRONT CANVAS (Right Side), DVD-BACK CANVAS (Left Side), and DVD-SPINE CANVAS (Middle) all separately, I open a new canvas (my forth) so that i can place the previous 3 canvases (FRONT, BACK, & SPINE) together to create one LARGE CANVAS. After that, I save this new LARGE CANVAS as a JPG, GIF, TIFF, etc... HERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES... When I open to view that LARGE CANVAS, as a JPG, GIF, TIFF file (that I just saved)... I can see two "White Lines" on each side, where I placed the SPINE CANVAS (the middle). Also, I can see "White Lines" on the very left side of the image as well as on TOP.

It seems that each image (Canvas) individually had "White Lines" on the TOP and LEFT-HAND sides, which totaled 3 vertical lines and 1 one large horizontal line at the top of the finished larger image.

(These "White Lines" are better seen when all the images are together, vs when you see the images seperately)

I know the only way I think I could avoid these "White Lines" is just by creating that one LARGE CANVAS altogether, instead of creating 3 separate ones; but for me, creating these DVD / Blu-ray covers would be that much harder to do.

I'm still not sure why ROXIO's PHOTOSUITE leaves / creates these "White Lines" in the first place. I've tried "CROPPING" and "RE-SIZING" each image, to cover these annoying lines, but it doesn't work.

The only way, for me, to get around this headache is to just create one large canvas and place all the photos, logo, etc. that I need inside that one canvas and go from there.... OR... I can try and use "Another" program that could place my 3 images together, without any awkward "White Lines" appearing.

I hope this has been helpful for someone or anyone who uses this program.

I think the programmer didn't realize what would happen if you created one LARGE CANVAS from MULTIPLE CANVASES.

Have you tried working in DMSP format (PhotoSuite native format) until your final Save? Seems I remember I could duplicate the problem if I saved in JPG throughout the project, but the OP didn't comeback for further discussion.

Have you tried working in DMSP format (PhotoSuite native format) until your final Save? Seems I remember I could duplicate the problem if I saved in JPG throughout the project, but the OP didn't comeback for further discussion.

Thanks DG for getting back to me. I have worked with several Canvases, working in DMSP format and if you look closely, you can already see the "White Lines" (TOP & Left-hand side). The problem isn't working in DMSP format, the problem is saving your "Finished" work after as a JPG, GIF, TIFF, etc. After I saved my 3 seperate Canvases as TIFFs, and opened a new "LARGER CANVAS" to place the 3 seperate TIFF files together. Once you place the 3 seperate TIFF (or which ever format you choose) together, when you zoom-in on the work, you can see these lines. I also did a test print of the LARGER CANVAS (with the 3 TIFF files together)and you can see the "White Lines" down the center. I think it's the Program that leaves these lines there (on purpose,) and I don't know why.

I've decided to start my work from a LARGE CANVAS, and avoid creating 3 seperate ones. I think this will actually workout better in the end.

Thanks Again DG