• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pleap

pleap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:40 AM

I'm using BackUp MyPC 6 which has performed moderately well with several issues but today, I get a window for Roxio Update Manager complaining that it can't find um.msi. The default path it is looking at is a TEMP directory--any program that was dumb enough to install vital files to a temp directory is a ticking time-bomb. I've done a search for that file and it isn't present anywhere on the computer. A search of Roxio support only yields broken links and a general Google doesn't help.
If I cancel the window, it winds back and closes... then a few seconds later it pops up and begins again. If I ctrl-alt-del it, it comes back in a minute or so. It looks like I need to un-install / re-install unless someone has a link to um.msi that works.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,541 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (pleap @ Oct 5 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm using BackUp MyPC 6 which has performed moderately well with several issues but today, I get a window for Roxio Update Manager complaining that it can't find um.msi. The default path it is looking at is a TEMP directory--any program that was dumb enough to install vital files to a temp directory is a ticking time-bomb. I've done a search for that file and it isn't present anywhere on the computer. A search of Roxio support only yields broken links and a general Google doesn't help.
If I cancel the window, it winds back and closes... then a few seconds later it pops up and begins again. If I ctrl-alt-del it, it comes back in a minute or so. It looks like I need to un-install / re-install unless someone has a link to um.msi that works.

There will be no updates for that Legacy Product so you can chose to remove it:

From Roxio Kb data base.

4.If you decide to permanently remove the Update Manager, it will not affect the performance of any Sonic or Roxio software currently installed on the system.
5.If Update Manager fails to uninstall, corruption has occurred that prevents removal. You will have to manually remove Update Manager:
Download and install Microsoft Cleanup Utility located here.
◦Run the application and select Sonic (or Roxio) Update Manager, and select Remove.
◦Go to My Computer --> C:\\Program Files\Sonic. If there is a folder named Update Manager, right click on it and select delete.
◦Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\<--user name-->\Application Data\Sonic and delete the "Update Manager" folder.

NOTE: You may need to enable hidden files. Do this within Windows Explorer by going to Tools --> Folder Options --> View tab and select Show Hidden Files and Folders.

6.If your software was bundled with hardware, here are the solutions for the most frequented bundles. Sonic software is licensed and distributed by the manufacturers that it is bundled with. While Sonic provides support for the software, the manufacturer of the bundle is in charge of any updates and replacements.
◦Dell: Go to Dell's support site with your service tag number for any updates that your version of RecordNow may require.
◦Sony: You can get downloads for both MyDVD and RecordNow directly from these websites. Be sure that your software has been registered and is installed on your system:

If you have more than one product other than Roxio that uses Update Manager :

2.Macrovision, the makers of the Install Shield Update Manger (ISUM) software that Roxio uses, has a utility that you can download to manage not just updates with Roxio products, but any application that uses the ISUM on your computer.

To install and use this utility:
Download the Update Manager utility and save it to your Desktop.
◦Double click installshieldupdateservice.exe and follow the instructions to install the Update Manager.
◦If the Update Manager doesn't launch automatically, go to Start --> Program Updates.
◦Click on the Update Settings tab.
◦Uncheck the software you wish to stop updating then click OK.
◦The settings have been saved.

3.This can also be an error of the Update Manager unsuccessfully attempting to update itself. To update, remove this program using the Add/Remove Programs control panel. It will be called either "Roxio Update Manager" or "Sonic Update Manager". Then download the latest version here and install.

Edited by sknis, 05 October 2009 - 08:43 AM.

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users