ahamilton

Burn Errors Sense: 03 ASC: 02 ASCQ: 00

Question

Hi,

I just bought a 100 pack of Verbatim DVD+R discs. Whenever I try to burn them with Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate, I get the following error:

There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try again by clicking the Retry button. You will need another blank disc ready.

Sense: 03 ASC: 02 ASCQ: 00 (Command 00)

---------------------------------------

Px.dll: 4.8.39.500

PxAFS.DLL: 4.8.39.500

pxc25pm.dll: 2.50.0002

pxdrv.dll: 1.02.34a

PxMas.dll: 4.8.39.500

PxSFS.DLL: 4.8.39.500

PxWave.dll: 4.8.39.500

pxwma.dll: 1,0,0,3

I've just come to the end of a pack of Verbatim DVD-R discs which worked fine in Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate. I also have CloneDVD installed and the new DVD+R discs work fine with that program.

Please can someone tell me how I can stop this error from occurring?

Thanks,

Anthony

Edited by ahamilton

15 answers to this question

This isn’t your first day at the rodeo, you know we will need more details than that :lol:

But the Sense Error doesn't look good - that is comming from your drive, not the program.

I'm not entirely sure what information you want, but I'm using Windows XP Pro and here are some details about my computer:

Processor - Intel E4400 Core2 Duo 2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache, Dual Core. 64bit Processor Extension Socket: 775

Motherboard - ASUS P5N-E SLI

Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 256 PCIe

Hard Drive 1 - Hitachi 320GB

Hard Drive 2 - Western Digital 500GB

Hard Drive 3 - Seagate Barracuda 500GB

Hard Drive 4 - Seagate Barracuda 500GB

DVD Drive - Optiarc DVD+-R/RW/RAM 18x SATA BL OEM AD-7170S

RAM - Kingston 2GB PC2-5300 DDR 667 240Pin

Floppy Drive - Alps Electric

Monitor - Dell E153FPf 15" Flatscreen

030200 No seek complete. http://www.cdr-zone.com/articles/atapi_err...des_page_1.html

There are many cases where there is a problem with the disc, or information cannot be retrieved from the disc properly. The PC may be unstable or try a new disc.

4. DMA Settings

Setting DMA mode:

Windows 95/98/ME Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click on [CD-ROM]. This will expand to show the CD drives on your system. Right click on a drive and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on the [settings] tab and check that the [DMA] option is enabled. Repeat this procedure for the remaining CD drives.

Win NT/2000/XP Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [iDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller. Complete the following procedure:

1. Right click on the Primary IDE controller and select [Properties] from the menu.

2. Select the [Advanced Settings] tab. Check that the [Transfer Mode] for both devices is set to [DMA if available].

3. Repeat this for Secondary IDE controller.

Note: In some cases older CD-ROM drives will not support DMA mode. In that case please set both devices to PIO mode.

5. Disc

1. Recording errors often occur when the disc is dirty, or has fingerprints or scratches. If an error occurred during test simulation (before actual recording), clean the disc. If you are getting recording errors, try the following.

* Use a different blank, recordable disc.

* Use a different manufacturer's disc.

* Ensure the disc is clean before recording:

o Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.

o Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.

o Dry the disc completely.

2. Error during file verification

If an error occurred when the files were being verified, record the same files again using a different disc.

3. Read error when copying a disc

When copying a disc, if an error occurred while reading data from the original disc, the original disc may be scratched or dirty.

* Try cleaning the disc.

o Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.

o Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.

o Dry the disc completely.

* Try using a different source drive.

o To change the drive you use to read your disc, click the Change button when asked to insert a source disc into your drive tray.

o Select the drive you wish to use from the drop-down menu.

o Insert your disc into the new drive.

* Try using copying the disc using one drive as both the source and destination drive.

When you use your recorder to both read and write to your disc, B's Recorder GOLD creates an image file of the entire disc to your hard drive and then copies that temporary file onto your blank disc. This can be helpful if the drive you are using to read your original disc is slow or unreliable.

If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

6. Drive

If you have tried Actions 1 through 5 above, there may be a problem with your drive. Contact the drive maker with details of the error code. If the 5th and 6th digit of the error code is 80 through FF, then the error code is maker unique. The descriptions of these error codes differ depending on the maker.

cd

Both the primary and secondary IDE controllers were already set to "DMA if available". I don't see how it can be a problem with the drive or the discs. The discs always burn successfully with CloneDVD and always fail with Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

Yes,

Since the software works in your drive with Verbatim DVD-R discs, but doesn't like Verbatim DVD+R discs in your drive, the problem must be triggered by the difference in the discs.

If it were my drive I would check the manufacturer's website and other places for the latest firmware for your drive, and update the firmware in the drive.

Manufacturers release updated firmware from time to time to both correct any problems which have been discovered, and to enable recognition and proper parameter setting for the new blank discs which have become available. Since you haven't mentioned the model number or firmware revision number of your drive I can't give you more advice. It's up to you from here.

Bummer! I think you might be up against it then, Anthony.

If you look at the "Recommended Media" list on that Sony-Optiarc link you've given, you'll see that Verbatim DVD-R discs [made by Mitsubishi] are on the recommended list for your drive, but there are NO Verbatim DVD+R discs recommended for that particular drive.

I don't know what exotic burn parameters CloneDVD uses which allow a burn to Verbatim DVD+R discs, but the standard parameters that Creator 2009 uses can't overcome the fact that your drive when burning in standard mode doesn't like those Verbatim DVD+R discs.

Can you tell us what the MID [Manufacturer's ID] is for those DVD+ discs? Is it CMC MAG, or MCC ? Verbatim don't make their own discs, as you might have noticed. :)

Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

Is clone running as a process when Roxio fails a burn? Look in Task Manager, Applications, Processes tabs...

cd

No, CloneDVD isn't running in the background.

I've just downloaded and installed the open source program, CDBurnerXP and I can burn the DVD+Rs with that, so it looks like I'll have to stick to using that program until I use all my DVD+Rs and I'll go back to DVD-Rs.

It would be nice to get Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate working with these discs, but I'm glad that I can get by without it.

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions for me.

If ImgBurn and Roxio both fail and this new CDBurnerXP software works, I think you have other problems...

You never answered Brendon's questions about the DVD+ discs?

cd

The MCC004 discs are a good type of disc if they're genuine, and there's no suggestion these aren't genuine.

All I can do is point you back to the first three paragraphs of post #8.

Both the primary and secondary IDE controllers were already set to "DMA if available". I don't see how it can be a problem with the drive or the discs. The discs always burn successfully with CloneDVD and always fail with Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

I down loaded your Sony Optiarc firmware AD-7170S Version 1.03, link you posted and looked at the Media ID's the firmware supports DVD + R MCC 004-000 18x,16x,12x,8x,6x,4x,2.4x is supported.

Firmware: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170S 1.03 Apr15,2008

Bootcode:

------------------------------------------

Overall supported media types: 750

MCC 001-000 2.4x

MCC 002-000 4x,2.4x

MCC 003-000 8x,6x,4x,2.4x

MCC 004-000 18x,16x,12x,8x,6x,4x,2.4x

If you would like the whole 750 media ID list, send me a pm with a email address and I'll send you a text document listing them all.

On a SATA mother board with a SATA Sony Optiarc drive, open device manager and up top click view, click view devices by connection. Start clicking the + next to storage controllers until you see your Sony Optiarc drive, then right click the Channel it's listed under, click properties. A channel properties window opens, click the Advanced Settings Tab, don't go by "DMA if available", look for "Current Transfer Mode " Should list a # like my pic below shows.

I'm assuming you run disc cleanup empty the recycle bin and defrag the hard drive regularly?

At this point I would try two things if it were my PC, # 7 in my signature, Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Full Installer. Download it to a new folder you make on your desktop, unzip it in that folder, then run it, double click the pxengine3_00_58a.exe, when done reboot. I've did this on a working and nonworking Roxio Creator 2009, it won't hurt anything.

If that don't work I would CAREFULLY find the controller and channel the Sony Optiarc drive is under, then right click uninstall that IDE Channel, reboot the PC and windows will reinstall it and the drives attached to it.

NEVER UNINSTALL THE STORAGE CONTROLLER OR CHANNEL YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM HARD DRIVE IS LISTED UNDER!

post-97-1255790703.jpg

cd