#1 ahamilton

ahamilton

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:59 PM

Hi,

I just bought a 100 pack of Verbatim DVD+R discs. Whenever I try to burn them with Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate, I get the following error:

There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try again by clicking the Retry button. You will need another blank disc ready.

Sense: 03 ASC: 02 ASCQ: 00 (Command 00)
---------------------------------------
Px.dll: 4.8.39.500
PxAFS.DLL: 4.8.39.500
pxc25pm.dll: 2.50.0002
pxdrv.dll: 1.02.34a
PxMas.dll: 4.8.39.500
PxSFS.DLL: 4.8.39.500
PxWave.dll: 4.8.39.500
pxwma.dll: 1,0,0,3

I've just come to the end of a pack of Verbatim DVD-R discs which worked fine in Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate. I also have CloneDVD installed and the new DVD+R discs work fine with that program.

Please can someone tell me how I can stop this error from occurring?

Thanks,
Anthony

Edited by ahamilton, 06 October 2009 - 11:59 PM.

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,239 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

This isnít your first day at the rodeo, you know we will need more details than that  laugh.gif

But the Sense Error doesn't look good - that is comming from your drive, not the program.
Posted Image

#3 ahamilton

ahamilton

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:02 AM

I'm not entirely sure what information you want, but I'm using Windows XP Pro and here are some details about my computer:

Processor - Intel E4400 Core2 Duo 2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache, Dual Core. 64bit Processor Extension Socket: 775
Motherboard - ASUS P5N-E SLI
Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 256 PCIe  
Hard Drive 1 - Hitachi 320GB
Hard Drive 2 - Western Digital 500GB
Hard Drive 3 - Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Hard Drive 4 - Seagate Barracuda 500GB
DVD Drive - Optiarc DVD+-R/RW/RAM 18x SATA BL OEM AD-7170S
RAM - Kingston 2GB PC2-5300 DDR 667 240Pin
Floppy Drive - Alps Electric
Monitor - Dell E153FPf 15" Flatscreen

#4 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:40 AM

030200 No seek complete.   http://www.cdr-zone.com/articles/atapi_err...des_page_1.html

There are many cases where there is a problem with the disc, or information cannot be retrieved from the disc properly. The PC may be unstable or try a new disc.

4. DMA Settings

Setting DMA mode:

Windows 95/98/ME Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click on [CD-ROM]. This will expand to show the CD drives on your system. Right click on a drive and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on the [Settings] tab and check that the [DMA] option is enabled. Repeat this procedure for the remaining CD drives.

Win NT/2000/XP Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller. Complete the following procedure:

1. Right click on the Primary IDE controller and select [Properties] from the menu.
   2. Select the [Advanced Settings] tab. Check that the [Transfer Mode] for both devices is set to [DMA if available].
   3. Repeat this for Secondary IDE controller.

Note: In some cases older CD-ROM drives will not support DMA mode. In that case please set both devices to PIO mode.

5. Disc

1. Recording errors often occur when the disc is dirty, or has fingerprints or scratches. If an error occurred during test simulation (before actual recording), clean the disc. If you are getting recording errors, try the following.
          * Use a different blank, recordable disc.
          * Use a different manufacturer's disc.
          * Ensure the disc is clean before recording:
                o Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
                o Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
                o Dry the disc completely.

2. Error during file verification
      If an error occurred when the files were being verified, record the same files again using a different disc.

3. Read error when copying a disc
      When copying a disc, if an error occurred while reading data from the original disc, the original disc may be scratched or dirty.
          * Try cleaning the disc.
                o Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
                o Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
                o Dry the disc completely.
          * Try using a different source drive.
                o To change the drive you use to read your disc, click the Change button when asked to insert a source disc into your drive tray.
                o Select the drive you wish to use from the drop-down menu.
                o Insert your disc into the new drive.
          * Try using copying the disc using one drive as both the source and destination drive.
            When you use your recorder to both read and write to your disc, B's Recorder GOLD creates an image file of the entire disc to your hard drive and then copies that temporary file onto your blank disc. This can be helpful if the drive you are using to read your original disc is slow or unreliable.

If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

6. Drive

If you have tried Actions 1 through 5 above, there may be a problem with your drive. Contact the drive maker with details of the error code. If the 5th and 6th digit of the error code is 80 through FF, then the error code is maker unique. The descriptions of these error codes differ depending on the maker.

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#5 ahamilton

ahamilton

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

Both the primary and secondary IDE controllers were already set to "DMA if available". I don't see how it can be a problem with the drive or the discs. The discs always burn successfully with CloneDVD and always fail with Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,263 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:08 PM

Yes,

Since the software works in your drive with Verbatim DVD-R discs, but doesn't like Verbatim DVD+R discs in your drive, the problem must be triggered by the difference in the discs.

If it were my drive I would check the manufacturer's website and other places for the latest firmware for your drive, and update the firmware in the drive.

Manufacturers release updated firmware from time to time to both correct any problems which have been discovered, and to enable recognition and proper parameter setting for the new blank discs which have become available. Since you haven't mentioned the model number or firmware revision number of your drive I can't give you more advice.  It's up to you from here.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#7 ahamilton

ahamilton

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:09 AM

I downloaded the most recent firmware version from here: http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/supportservice/...cs/ad7170s.html , but when I went to install it, the installer showed that I already had the latest version.

#8 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,263 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:48 AM

Bummer! I think you might be up against it then, Anthony.

If you look at the "Recommended Media" list on that Sony-Optiarc link you've given, you'll see that Verbatim DVD-R discs [made by Mitsubishi] are on the recommended list for your drive, but there are NO Verbatim DVD+R discs recommended for that particular drive.

I don't know what exotic burn parameters CloneDVD uses which allow a burn to Verbatim DVD+R discs, but the standard parameters that Creator 2009 uses can't overcome the fact that your drive when burning in standard mode doesn't like those Verbatim DVD+R discs.

Can you tell us what the MID [Manufacturer's ID] is for those DVD+ discs? Is it CMC MAG, or MCC ? Verbatim don't make their own discs, as you might have noticed. smile.gif

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

#9 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,037 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:28 AM

Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

Is clone running as a process when Roxio fails a burn? Look in Task Manager, Applications, Processes tabs...

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#10 ahamilton

ahamilton

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:01 AM

No, CloneDVD isn't running in the background.

I've just downloaded and installed the open source program, CDBurnerXP and I can burn the DVD+Rs with that, so it looks like I'll have to stick to using that program until I use all my DVD+Rs and I'll go back to DVD-Rs.

It would be nice to get Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate working with these discs, but I'm glad that I can get by without it.

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions for me.

#11 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,037 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:07 AM

If ImgBurn and Roxio both fail and this new CDBurnerXP software works, I think you have other problems...

You never answered Brendon's questions about the DVD+ discs?

cd
cd
Spoiler

#12 ahamilton

ahamilton

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

Sorry about that. How do I find out the Manufacturer's ID?

#13 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,037 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (ahamilton @ Oct 12 2009, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry about that. How do I find out the Manufacturer's ID?

Download the small free program,

DVD Identifier v5.2.0 [January 10, 2009]

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

DVDInfo.jpg

cd

cd
Spoiler

#14 ahamilton

ahamilton

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:32 AM

The unique disc identifier is DVD+R:MCC-004-000.

#15 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,263 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:45 AM

The MCC004 discs are a good type of disc if they're genuine, and there's no suggestion these aren't genuine.

All I can do is point you back to the first three paragraphs of post #8.

#16 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,037 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (ahamilton @ Oct 8 2009, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both the primary and secondary IDE controllers were already set to "DMA if available". I don't see how it can be a problem with the drive or the discs. The discs always burn successfully with CloneDVD and always fail with Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

I down loaded your Sony Optiarc firmware AD-7170S Version 1.03, link you posted and looked at the Media ID's the firmware supports DVD + R  MCC   004-000 18x,16x,12x,8x,6x,4x,2.4x is supported.

Firmware: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170S 1.03 Apr15,2008
Bootcode:
------------------------------------------

Overall  supported media types:  750

MCC      001-000 2.4x
MCC      002-000 4x,2.4x
MCC      003-000 8x,6x,4x,2.4x
MCC      004-000 18x,16x,12x,8x,6x,4x,2.4x

If you would like the whole 750 media ID list, send me a pm with a email address and I'll send you a text document listing them all.

On a SATA mother board with a SATA Sony Optiarc drive, open device manager and up top click view, click view devices by connection. Start clicking the + next to storage controllers until you see your Sony Optiarc drive, then right click the Channel it's listed under, click properties. A channel properties window opens, click the Advanced Settings Tab, don't go by "DMA if available", look for "Current Transfer Mode " Should list a # like my pic below shows.

I'm assuming you run disc cleanup empty the recycle bin and defrag the hard drive regularly?

At this point I would try two things if it were my PC, # 7 in my signature, Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Full Installer. Download it to a new folder you make on your desktop, unzip it in that folder, then run it, double click the pxengine3_00_58a.exe, when done reboot. I've did this on a working and nonworking Roxio Creator 2009, it won't hurt anything.

If that don't work I would CAREFULLY find the controller and channel the Sony Optiarc drive is under, then right click uninstall that IDE Channel, reboot the PC and windows will reinstall it and the drives attached to it.

NEVER UNINSTALL THE STORAGE CONTROLLER OR CHANNEL YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM HARD DRIVE IS LISTED UNDER!

Channels.jpg

cd

cd
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users