15 replies to this topic

#1 mikieis1

mikieis1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hi Folks,
I ripped the last hair from my head! Running Vista Home Premium OS with SP2 installed. Following initial failed attempt to upgrade from Creator 2009, I un-installed Creator 2009 and Creator 2010 from the Programs Uninstall in the Control Panel. I closed all Start-up programs, shut down my Anti Virus ..., and performed a "Clean Install for Creator 2009 and 2010 on Windows Vista". I went slowly and am certain I followed the directions smile.gif. I carefully deleted entries in the Registry and double checked that. After restarting I first attempted to install Creator 2010. The installation went smoothly up through the registration. When I started Creator 2010, or any of its components, I received  "Creator 2010 (or Roxio Venue or ...) has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. Close program." Sure they will! I then uninstalled/ re-installed Creator 2009/Creator 2010 in various combinations. (Yup, each time I "clean un-installed, deleted registry items, the whole "9 yards...")  Each installation seemed to go smoothly - no error messages. However, each time I received the same message, "Creator 2010 has stopped working, " or "Venue has stopped working." How could they stop working, if they never worked to begin with?
I haven't heard from the technical support folks (do they actually get back to you?). I am hoping someone could "notify me if a solution is available" - I have no more hair to pull out of my head.
Thanks.
mikieis1

P.S.
***  Digital Guru says: "Be careful not to use the instructions for a clean uninstall from the Roxio knowledge base.

If you follow those you will end up deleting folders that will cause 2010 (or any other Roxio program) to not work.
                                 Use Add/Remove from the Control Panel."
I hope this isn't true - I really do enjoy Roxio (and I spent a lot of $$$)

Thanks for anyone's help.

Edited by mikieis1, 07 October 2009 - 10:07 PM.

#2 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,101 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:04 AM

If you want to do the uninstall correctly then follow the instructions in the Knowledge Base.

What you need to be careful of is if you have more than 1 Roxio or Sonic app installed on your computer.
Part of the procedure has you deleting folders that are used in common by some of the apps.
If you delete them trying to uninstall 1 app you may cause another not to work.

What I would do is follow those instructions for everything Roxio on your machine.Follow them for every app and OS as they may delete different things.

Make sure you run Add/Delete from the Control Panel first.Then after that run the Microsoft Install Cleanup Utility.
DO NOT try and substitute the MICU for Add/Remove.They do 2 completely different things.If the Add/Remove works correctly then you shouldn't find an entry in MICU.

Do the uninstall on 2009.Then do it for 2010.
After that try and reinstall just 2010.
"Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do"

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#3 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,203 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

Can you point to or link to the posts that says not to use the uninstall?  I'm not sure any guru would say that although it could be a typo but I doubt it.
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,576 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (sknis @ Oct 8 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you point to or link to the posts that says not to use the uninstall?  I'm not sure any guru would say that although it could be a typo but I doubt it.

Post #5 in this thread

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#5 mikieis1

mikieis1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

I carefully followed Guru TBREWST's instructions. Same ugly message "A problem caused the program to stop...." This message appears while attempting to start Creator 2010 or Cineplayer. I am able to use Video Wave, Roxio Creator Classic, Media Manager, Photo Suite and Media Import, if I double-click those program's *.exe,

Is there a missing file or is there something on my computer that is preventing the Suite from starting? Although there is nothing on the DVD box or disc, I did purchase this as an "Upgrade". Is that the source of the problem?

Thanks. I really appreciate the time you took to respond to the problem. I hope I get this fixed quickly, because I resorted to eating my 5 year-old granddaughter's Strawberry ice cream to control the frustration.

Edited by mikieis1, 09 October 2009 - 06:01 PM.

#6 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,203 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Oct 8 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Post #5 in this thread

Most people would lean to something a little stronger than ice cream to control the frustration !  Getting the upgrade has oly to do with procing and not the completeness of the package.

BTW, that  quote was taken out of context !.  That was for uninstalling Creator 2009 but leaving Creator 2010 on the computer once both were installed.

Edited by sknis, 10 October 2009 - 06:06 AM.

Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus.

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#7 mikieis1

mikieis1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:47 PM

I can't let go - I spent hours trying to install Roxio 2010. AND I have all but the two most important applications functioning - The Suite itself, and Cineplayer. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do so that the program functions as a suite and the Cineplayer functions?

Only Roxio can convert downloaded TIVO programs and play them in Cineplayer AND also convert them so I can download it to my Blackberry. Roxio is also the Suite that Blackberry has chosen to download files, videos and photos. So before I reinstalled Roxio 2010, I uninstalled Blackberry and everything connected to it. Still no luck.

I wish I could just reformat the whole drive and start from the beginning- but I have so much stuff and I don't think I could find half the programs to re-install. Anybody a magician?

Thanks for your help.

#8 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,203 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:03 AM

If you open it from the Windows start menu (Start, All programs,Roxio 2010, or from applications), what happens?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "Suite"  do you mean the home page?

Edited by sknis, 11 October 2009 - 05:09 AM.

Apple =OSX 10.5

#9 mikieis1

mikieis1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

When clicking: "Start all Programs, Roxio Creator 2010," a Microsoft Windows error box opens, which states" Roxio Creator has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." One choice is presented - "Close program". The same message appears, with "Start all Programs, Applications, Cineplayer." However, I am able to start other applications.

I've loaded Roxio Creator 2010 on my daughter's computer, which was running Creator 2009. When starting as above, after the logo "Roxio Creator 2010" appears, the next screen is one that presents options from the "Home" screen of Creator 2010. Neither the Logo Screen or the "options" appear on my computer.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I appreciate it.

#10 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,203 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (mikieis1 @ Oct 12 2009, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When clicking: "Start all Programs, Roxio Creator 2010," a Microsoft Windows error box opens, which states" Roxio Creator has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." One choice is presented - "Close program". The same message appears, with "Start all Programs, Applications, Cineplayer." However, I am able to start other applications.

I've loaded Roxio Creator 2010 on my daughter's computer, which was running Creator 2009. When starting as above, after the logo "Roxio Creator 2010" appears, the next screen is one that presents options from the "Home" screen of Creator 2010. Neither the Logo Screen or the "options" appear on my computer.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I appreciate it.

All that points to a bad initial install of the program.  Did you have your anti-virus on or paused when you did the install?  

Forgive me if I repeat what was said in other posts.

1) Try using the repair function in the program.  Before you do that, make sure that you have ticked off the items in this Kb article.  If that doesn't work then
2) Try uninstalling all Roxio programs using Revo Uninstaller in the moderate mode.  If that doesn't work
3) The clean install is the only thing left.  Yes, it will remove all traces of all Roxio software on your computer but you will have to install it again anyway.  Scroll down in that article for XP instructions.

What computer and OS do you have?

Apple =OSX 10.5

#11 mikieis1

mikieis1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

My wife thinks I lost my mind - she hears me "talking" to myself 2 o'clock in the morning. The conversation consists of a lot of 4 letter expletives but I find it difficult to admit defeat. I STILL can't re-install Creator 2010!

I'm running Vista Ultimate OS and I've updated all software and firmware. I closed every program via configsys and then re-booted. Every anti-virus, anti-spy, anti-alien program was also closed. I first un-installed Roxio 2010, using "Uninstall" in the Control Group. Then used Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, followed by carefully deletingd anything to do with Roxio and Sonic, in addition to PX Storage Engine located in the Program File, Program Data and Users Files. I walked through the land mine field of the Registry and deleted anything to do with Roxio and Sonic. I re-booted....and ....

Well - after repeating this several times (if it doesn't work the first time, it should certainly work by the tenth time smile.gif) and received the same dreaded message - "Creator 2010 has stopped working, " It's a good thing I didn't wait for them to "notify me if a solution is available" - or I would have found something else to do with 10's of hours of conversing with progress messages.

What am I missing? Is it possible that when I screwed up installing Creator 2010 the first time, and then used a Registry Cleaner, I deleted a critical entry that allows the various programs to function as a suite. You ask "Why did you use a Registry Cleaner? "To make things cleaner and BETTER!" I can use some programs that have less value to me than, for example, CinePlayer. I wasn't satisfied with Creator 2009 - "No!" I had to buy Creator 2010, because I thought it had a video codec to allow me to play TIVO formatted files.  

Do I just pack it in? Putting this all into proper perspective - after all that's going wrong in the world, this ranks as a 0.0001 on a scale of 10. I really wanted to compile videos of "Olivia" and "Toot and Puddle" (they are talking pigs) for my 5 year old granddaughter.  I HATE disappointing her. So any last minute suggestions?

Thanks folks.

Poppi Mike

#12 bfm

bfm

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

Hello Mikie.....I too have had a very similiar experinece in trying to get 2010 installed on my pc's.  I have finally given up after a couple of weeks of trying to get it loaded.  I was on vacation in California and bought my new 2010 software from Fry's Electronics.  They will not give refunds on opened software, so I have asked Roxio for a full refund.  I really wanted to use the product, but after pulling out all my hair, kicked all 3 dogs repeatedly, yelled at my wife, the nieghbors and anyone else within shouting distance from me.....I finally threw in the towel.
I too have tried every type of uninstall, reinstall, reboot, and nothing worked for me.  I only wished someone at Roxio tech support really listened and looked at our pleas for help and assistance to fix the problem.  One would think that if several people have the same issue with the same problems, one would think..."Hey....we must have a software problem, or perhaps a defective insdtall disk in the new package on the store shelves...."  maybe they would supply us with a new install disk or a link to download the software which will work the first time we try to install it.
Hope you get your issue resolved.  I will monitor your case and see what happens.  Perhaps I will purchase the product again one day and hopefully it will work.
For now, I am just telling verbal stories about my vacation and drawing pictures on paper about what all I saw.  Maybe Disney will hire me as a cartoon artist next.

#13 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

Guys - this is a USERS' group and not tech support

All any of us can tell you is that the failed instal isn't that common (sure we do get a fair number of posts about it, but what you never see are posts from people who don't HAVE problems)

All any of us can do is point you in the direction of clean install instructions and caution against over-enthusiastic use of registry cleaners. You don't NEED to run that on a daily basis or eve in an aggressive mode
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#14 Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom

Digital Master

• Roxio Staff
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:31 AM

Can you send me your installation logs? I'll send you a PM where they're located and where to send them.
Also system event logs will help as it sounds like the app is crashing.
Du Tran
Quality Assurance Lead (I break things, I don't fix them)
ROXIO, a division of Sonic Solutions

#15 mikieis1

mikieis1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

I almost given up before the rescuer arrived.

Du Tran from Sonic Boom requested the Roxio installation logs. He told me where to locate them and how to send them to him.
He thought the app was crashing, and the logs confirmed this. He sent me a link, to download .Net 3.5, SP1. That was the solution.

He really went out of his way to help and I am very grateful to him for taking the time.

On a totally separate issue, since I am a 'newbie', would someone tell me if it is inappropriate for me to have asked a "technical question"?
I'm not sure what is and what isn't appropriate to discuss.

Thanks for all your help.

Poppi Mike

#16 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,576 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (mikieis1 @ Oct 14 2009, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I almost given up before the rescuer arrived.

Du Tran from Sonic Boom requested the Roxio installation logs. He told me where to locate them and how to send them to him.
He thought the app was crashing, and the logs confirmed this. He sent me a link, to download .Net 3.5, SP1. That was the solution.

He really went out of his way to help and I am very grateful to him for taking the time.

On a totally separate issue, since I am a 'newbie', would someone tell me if it is inappropriate for me to have asked a "technical question"?
I'm not sure what is and what isn't appropriate to discuss.

Thanks for all your help.

Poppi Mike

Glad that Sonic was able to help you with your problem.

This forum is a basically users helping each other so you can ask any technical question you want. If you want technical help from Roxio you have to go a different rout and it will cost you. Any advice you recceive here in the forum is of course free rolleyes.gif

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users