Roxio Community

Can't view pictures burned on DVD-RW. HELP!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LaurieM

LaurieM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

Ok, we had a bunch of pictures that we needed to burn and we burned them using a Roxio Easy cd creator software program that was loaded on our computer. We purchased the computer in 2002. We burned the pictures onto a DVD-RW and now the pictures will not show up on a computer. It says the disk is empty but we have one DVD player that will show the pictures on it but no other dvd player will show it and no other computer will recognize it and the machines at the stores where you can have pictures printed won't recognize it either. I know they are on there but how do we get them back off so we can save them to a file that is going to be compatible with other computers?? I don't know what happened but they are very important pictures to us of our son's birth and baby pictures and we will be devastated if we can't retrieve them. Any ideas or what may have happened??

Thanks!!

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,059 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:16 AM

Hello Laurie,

I suspect that you might have used a packet-writing program called Drag-to-Disc, which used to be supplied along with regular burning software until a year or two ago.   This system involves "formatting" a disc and then later dragging your photos or files onto an icon like the one below, whereupon the system would burn those files onto your disc. When you finished with the disc you would "eject" it, and usually you'd be asked how you wanted it closed.
d2d.JPG

If the formatting and closing of your DVDRW don't jog your memory, one way which might identify a packet-written disc is to look at it in My Computer. A DATA DVD will normally show its file system as a CDFS disc [my drive Z:] while a packet-disc shows as UDF [my drive Y:]. Video DVDs will normally show as UDF, but data ones shouldn't.
mycomp.jpg

Theoretically you should be able to read the disc on other computers, but in practice this didn't often happen, and very frequently discs would become totally unreadable in many machines. Eventually the system was dropped by Roxio.  If this is what has happened to your disc, you need to try data recovery.

Our members here have found that either IsoBuster from Isobuster.com or CDRoller from CDRoller.com are very good recovery programs.  They cost you money to buy the full version and recover your files, but I believe they both have trial versions which will indicate what files they can recover before you need to pay any cash.

There is another possibility, and that is that a crucial part of your RW disc has worn out - they don't last forever and when they do fail they tend to fail quickly.  However I think that the packet-writing problem is the one which is affecting you - especially if one DVD player can still read the disc. There were a very few DVD players with firmware coded to handle packet-written discs.

Good fortune.

Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windws XP, 7, and 8

"I did it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users