margueritananfara

Default Recorder button on Creator Classic does not work

Hello, I am new here, I have owned Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 for several years without any problems until I started using an mp3 player with windows media on my laptop computer (windows xp) - Now when I want to back up data in the Roxio Creator Classic - the default recorder is listed it will say "Defaul Recorder None" and when I try to click on the button to change the default recorder, the button is frozen, it does not work. I have no problems with any other areas such as photo suite, or cd copying, just trying to get the default recorder back. Thank you in advance for any help.

Hello,

I have two suggestions for a fix, here. One is a clean reinstall to completely remove and then reinstall the software. This takes a while to do, and is pretty daunting.

Two is to try and fix just the broken part. This might be daunting too, if you've never worked with the Windows registry, but it might be a lot easier in the long run.

I'll start with suggestion #2, but if you'd rather just do the clean install please stop me and I can point you to the instructions for that process.

I have reinstalled version 6.2.0.111 on my XP system so that I can troubleshoot for you. This is ordinary XP Pro-SP2, with I.E. 6 and Windows Media Player 9, since later versions of IE and WMP cause problems with older versions of the Creator suites.

On my beast Creator Classic recognizes my two burners and allows me to set one as "default"

post-208-1255561662.jpg

I understand that yours won't do this now. Would you tell me please, do you have only one burner and is there any way that Creator Classic will show you it or are you just left with a blank stare from the software when you click on that button where my cursor shows in the picture?

Are you familiar with the Windows Registry editor, REGEDIT.EXE ? On my system Creator Classic stores a pointer to the default burner in the registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Roxio\Roxio Shared\CDEngine\Devices\Creator Classic

in a value called DefaultTargetDevice

My system shows 3,0,0 in that value for my BENQ drive, and 3,1,0 for my LG drive. I'd like to know what your registry is showing in that Creator Classic registry key. -Does it show the DefaultTargetDevice value, and what is in there.

Don't Panic, if you're not familiar with Regedit just reply and let me know and I'll coach you through it.

Okay, can you come back and tell me [1] how many CD/DVD drives you have and what they are, and [2] can you find that registry key and tell me its contents?

Regards,

Brendon

Hello. I stumbled upon this discussion because I am having the same problem. I am running XP SP3 with IE ver 8, WMP 11, and Roxio Creator Classic ver 6.1.1.48.

I am able to run system tests on both my DVD WR drives successfully, but I have no default drive and my Disc menu is all grayed out.

I followed your hint to check the registry settings, but my HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Roxio\Roxio Shared\CDEngine\Devices\Creator Classic only has one empty (Default) key (no value).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software (twice) and I have uninstalled the drivers for both my optical drives. They get auto reinstalled upon a restart, and I can still run the Roxio System Tests on the drives. Still cannot select one as default.

What else?

BTW I can burn discs using either of the drives with Nero Express, so this is not a hardware problem. I prefer the Creator Classic UI, but if their software does not work, I will simply forget about ever using any of their products.

Edited by cng

Hello. I stumbled upon this discussion because I am having the same problem. I am running XP SP3 with IE ver 8, WMP 11, and Roxio Creator Classic ver 6.1.1.48.

I am able to run system tests on both my DVD WR drives successfully, but I have no default drive and my Disc menu is all grayed out.

I followed your hint to check the registry settings, but my HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Roxio\Roxio Shared\CDEngine\Devices\Creator Classic only has one empty (Default) key (no value).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software (twice) and I have uninstalled the drivers for both my optical drives. They get auto reinstalled upon a restart, and I can still run the Roxio System Tests on the drives. Still cannot select one as default.

What else?

It is known the IE7 and WMP 11 break Roxio versions 7.5 and earlier. Most likely IE8 does the same. The only fix is to revert to IE6 and WMP9

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately for many other reasons I cannot back down the version of MSIE. Also, as a software developer for more than 40 years, I find this behavior by Roxio to be totally unacceptable. It is a clear sign to me of very bad software design. I will be unable to ever trust anything they build again. I guess Roxio is history on all my systems, now and forever.

Thank you for your assistance.

Unfortunately for many other reasons I cannot back down the version of MSIE. Also, as a software developer for more than 40 years, I find this behavior by Roxio to be totally unacceptable. It is a clear sign to me of very bad software design. I will be unable to ever trust anything they build again. I guess Roxio is history on all my systems, now and forever.

Blame Microsoft not Roxio - it is MS software which breaks Roxio :blink:

Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 is at least 6 years old and many,many, versions behind....time to move on to a more up to date software.

This version came out in 2003. That's actually 7 versions ago. Your problem is user error. It worked for you, until you mucked it up by updating your Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.

If you want to update everything else, pull your head out, and update your software. ;)

Unacceptable behaviour, by Roxio, my a*ss.

I know this topic is way old. But I recently decided to install Easy Creator 6 with Drag to Disk. I has having the same issue with no Default Recorders showing up.

System Specs:

Win XP SP3

Creator Classic ver. 6.1.1.14

My solution:

Navigated to C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\MRW

Activated the "MrfInst.exe" (Installed)

Rebooted system

Opened Creator Classic and all of my drives show up (even the ones I have that are virtual using Dameon tools).

Hope this helps in 2013. LOL

I know this topic is way old. But I recently decided to install Easy Creator 6 with Drag to Disk. I has having the same issue with no Default Recorders showing up.

System Specs:

Win XP SP3

Creator Classic ver. 6.1.1.14

My solution:

Navigated to C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\MRW

Activated the "MrfInst.exe" (Installed)

Rebooted system

Opened Creator Classic and all of my drives show up (even the ones I have that are virtual using Dameon tools).

Hope this helps in 2013. LOL

LOL! Old dogs never die. :)

BTW, Daemon Tools was another known killer of the Roxio software in your version of the software, and the next 2 versions.

That's Roxio's "EasyWrite Reader Installer". It must have shaken things up in there :)

Thanks for that.

Brendon

I found another solution today.

My Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 showed the same symptoms when I started it today.

-Disc Copier couldn't detect any supported recorders, and wouldn't start

-Creator Classic showed no default recorder, and wouldn't let me select one

-DVD Builder wouldn't show a destination for a burn project [except the hard drive]

BUT Drag 2 Disc saw and defaulted to my burner.

Remembering this topic, I tried the suggestion in post #9 and installed the EasyWrite reader, but that didn't help. Since Drag to Disc was still working, I went looking in the registry filters, and found this:

post-208-0-41383800-1370391776_thumb.jpg

In Upperfilters only the D2D filter [pwd_2k] was present. Cdralw2k was missing, so the other Roxio programs weren't seeing optical drives. I have no idea what made that filter entry disappear, but I edited the upperfilters value to insert it where it should be.

post-208-0-77107500-1370392008_thumb.jpg

Reboot [to read the new registry values] and all systems in the Roxio suite are working well again.

Regards,

Brendon

• Like 1

Dear digital guru:

I loved Roxio but not use it for a year. I reinstalled the program. unfortunately I continue to have the same problem showing no supported recorder can be detected even after installing reader or activate Mrfinst as suggested in post #10 and changed the upper filter (to Cdralw2k pwd-2k) as suggested in your most recent finding post#12. My drag2disc also show no recorder. What can I do next? Help. Many thanks.

• Like 1

Non sophisticater,

Can you show us a screenshot of the registry key please?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Brendon

Edited by Brendon

Okay, thanks for that. You have the required filter entries in the right places, so your Roxio programs should be seeing your drive(s).

My registry key is the same as yours, except that yours seems to have suffered some sort of trauma in the past - it has UpperFilters.Bak and Lowerfilters.Bak. Those values are empty so shouldn't have any effect, however I shudder to think what might have happened to put them there.

The fact remains that despite the registry looking OK, the programs aren't seeing the drives so something else deeper in the works must be busted. If you have a look back at post #2 in this topic, I think we've gone past the tweaking and we need a complete reinstall. Daunting or not, the programs won't work without it. It should take a quarter hour or less.

What I suggest is

[1] that you go to your Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and uninstall the Roxio suite entirely, including Drag2Disc.

[2] go to C:\Program Files and delete the Roxio and Roxio Shared directories if they haven't gone already

[3] get rid of that fractured registry key - go to Device Manager, find your optical drive, and uninstall it

post-208-0-64616600-1375344966_thumb.jpg

[4] restart Windows. It will find the drive, and reinstall it in Device Manager for you - rebuilding the registry key in the process

[5] reinstall the Roxio suite

Unless you have an updated Internet Explorer and/or updated Windows Media Player to a level that kills Creator 6, the reinstall should get you going again.

Please ask if the instructions aren't clear for you.

Regards,

Brendon

. . . . and please come back here and tell us how you got on.

I deleted the Roxio from control panel and could not find any in Program file. Then go to device manager as shown on my previous post. I could not find the same optical device as shown in your instruction. I do not know what I got. What should I do next?

Thanks

Hi Lewis,

I changed your screen clip so people could see it without having to download it. Hope you don't mind :)

I'm sorry for not being fully clear. I was trying to show you where the Device Manager entry was, rather than what it would be. We have different drives so the detail is different, but you've located your drive right enough.

post-208-0-17474200-1376005266_thumb.jpg

That exclamation mark showing in yellow on it is an indicator from Windows that there's something wrong with the registry entry, and that's why we're needing to uninstall it.

You've reached the point of instruction #3, so now please uninstall your drive in Device Manager, and then restart Windows. If you look in Device Manager again after Windows restarts and settles down, you should see your drive back in there without the exclamation.

At this point it should be fine to reinstall your Roxio suite.

Regards,

Brendon

sorry, I do not know how to make it show on the post. Please go ahead to do the same. I am looking at another computer I have (using system 7) which do not have exclamation like this. I shall try Roxio on that one and see what happens and will report to you. But for curiocity and a challenge, please continue to tackle this problem on this stupid computer (using XP).

Thanks

Lewis

Hi Lewis,

I'll send you a private message in a few minutes to talk you through adding a picture to a post.

In the meantime, if uninstalling it in Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall it still shows that exclamation mark, it looks as if Windows is signalling that it's having a problem with your optical drive, the TS-H652L. It's likely that this Windows problem is causing the trouble, rather than the Roxio program.

Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 is listed as not compatible with Windows 7, so don't be surprised if you can't install it on your Windows 7 machine.

Meantime, back to the XP machine. Would you please go back to Device Manager, locate your drive, right-click on it and select Properties.

post-208-0-61193700-1376098820_thumb.jpg

You'll get a box like this. I need to know what it says in the 'Device Status' area in the center of the box. A screenshot would be nice. :)

post-208-0-13484200-1376098989_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brendon