margueritananfara

Default Recorder button on Creator Classic does not work

I'm happy to be patient with you while you're trying so hard for me :) I converted your latest snapshot. Did you get the private message I sent you? [Check up round the top right corner of the forum page, and click on an envelope icon with '1 Messages' showing.

Now, the screenshot - A code 41 error. Bummer! Windows strikes again!

I'm short of time tonight and this is not an error I've had before in my machines, so I'd better go read it up and try out some things. I'll come back tomorrow if all goes well.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Lewis,

It seems that Code 41 signals a break in the software connection between Windows and a device - in this case the CD/DVD drive.

There are two main fixes that the experts recommend:- deleting the upperfilters and lowerfilters values in the registry, or deleting the device driver files and making Windows reinstall them. The registry one is the easiest and I think you should try that one first, especially since you've already been working around there.

-Go back to post #15 in this topic. What I want you to do is delete four values from the key

LowerFilters

-LowerFilters.bak

-UpperFilters

-UpperFilters.bak

You delete them by right-clicking on the value name [next to the 'ab' icon] selecting Delete, and telling Regedit you're sure. It doesn't matter if all four aren't there now, just delete the ones that are.

After deleting them, sign off from Regedit and re-boot the machine. When Windows restarts, hop into Device Manager and see if the exclamation mark has gone.

If it has gone, that means Windows has repaired itself and you can go ahead and reinstall the Roxio suite.

If it's still there, come back and let me know and we'll go to the next step and delete and reinstall the Windows drivers.

It's a filthy winter's day here, so I'm glad this is keeping me inside :)

Brendon

post-114117-0-56204400-1376278611_thumb.jpg

Hi, Brendon:

I took a snap shot on this in JPG file. Unforutnately it does not pop up here again. Sorry to let you open it for me again.

I tried to delete the value for both upper and lower filters. But it won't let me. What should I do to delete it? Last time I remember I can add the value you suggested me. Please advise.

Thanks

Lewis

Gidday Lewis,

Congrats on getting the screenshot posted. :)

I tried to delete the value for both upper and lower filters. But it won't let me. What should I do to delete it?

It won't let you delete it? Did you right-click on the name of the value and then select delete?

post-208-0-46229400-1376292000_thumb.jpg

I haven't heard of those resisting deletion before.

Brendon

Aha! Simply fixed. [Whew, had me worried for a moment]

You had your pointer too far out to the right, and clicked on REG_MULTI_SZ rather than the actual valuename, UpperFilters.

Move the pointer to the left, over the name of the value, and right-click.

post-208-0-98183100-1376615873_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Brendon

Beaut.

Thanks for your persistence. I am looking forward to hearing that all is well.

Brendon

Hi, Brendon:

I just return home from a meeting and ready to go to bed. I shall load the program tomorrow. However I checked the registry and found that all filter values are gone. It does not seem to have register values restored. Don't you think I need to restore some values as you suggested in the beginning before I load the program.

Thanks

Lewis

Nope.

Windows has rebuilt its registry entry. When you reinstall the Roxio suite, the Roxio installer should insert the filters it needs.

Go well tomorrow.

Brendon

Hi, Brendon:

I loadedpost-114117-0-06153300-1376974822_thumb.jpg the program and see the drag2dic find the recorder and work well. I was very exciting and tried the copy disc. As expected, it shows not detecting the device as everyone does. So I add the missing value you found to the upper filter as attached. reboot the computer. Dissapointly now the drag to disc lost the recorder and copy disc still showed no detection. Please take a close look on the attachment and see if you find something incorrect.

Brendon:

Hopefully the weather is improving in your place. I recheck the device manager and found that indeed the exclamation mark reappears. So I am going to delete the filters again and see if it gets back to the normal and wait for your next direction.

Thanks

Lewis

Fine Lewis,

Please uninstall the Roxio programs, delete the filters, restart and check Device Manager, and then reinstall the Roxio programs.

Restart after the Roxio install and check what's working, without manually adding anything to the registry entry.

It's sunny today. :)

Regards,

Brendon

HI, Brendon:

As expected, now my device manager shows no exclamation and Roxio dragtodisc works as well. But when open disc to copy, it shows no detaction of recorder as encouintered by every one. Last time I correct the upper filter as you suggested. Unfortunately both device manager and dragtodisc failed subsequently. Please advise.

Please do not worry much. We just try to tackle this problem as a challenge. I can always upgarde it or buy other program.

Thank you for patience with me.

Lewis

Hi Lewis,

Having no exclamation mark means Windows is happy with its registry key.

That D2D works shows that pwd_2k is in UpperFilters properly. D2D uses a burning engine that's independent from Creator.

That Creator can't see the drive means that some other part of the Creator burn engine is broken.

Does Cdralw2k show in Upperfilters alongside Pwd_2k ?

Does Cdr4_xp show in LowerFilters?

I'm thinking that if these entries are showing where they should be, it might be that the actual driver files they are calling might be broken. The driver files are often left behind during an uninstall, and I suspect that if the installer sees the files are already on the system it won't bother installing a fresh copy.

If the driver file(s) are broken I would suggest we:

-uninstall the Roxio suite

-find and delete the drivers for Cdralw2k and Cdr4_xp

-reinstall the Roxio suite

We might need to force it to install fresh copies of those drivers, but I'll wait for your answer to the two questions in bold before we go into details. Being patient isn't a problem for me - frankly I'd be quite upset to drop the problem now and not get an answer. :)

Regards,

Brendon

Okay Lewis,

There's definitely a driver missing. To avoid doubt I installed a virgin copy of XP-SP3 on my machine and took shots of the registry key before and after installing Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.

post-208-0-27337700-1377831339_thumb.jpg

post-208-0-33687100-1377831365_thumb.jpg

If you peep back at your screenshot, you're missing Cdralw2k in the UpperFilters key, The D2D driver, pwd_2k, is in place so Drag-to-Disc should be working, but without Cdralw2k Creator won't see the drive.

The three drivers Roxio installs as filters in this registry key are Cdr4_xp, pwd_2k, and Cdralw2k, and they should all be in the \Windows\System32\Drivers directory

post-208-0-17908300-1377831713_thumb.jpg

Would you please look in that directory and confirm that all those files in the red box and stamped 13-Jan-2003 10:19 are present please, especially the three that I've highlighted?? They're all installed by Version 6.

So, we've worked out what is causing the problem, but I 'fess I wouldn't have a clue why that has happened, and I'm still working on how to fix it.

-Hang in there and let me know what you see in the System32\Drivers directory.

Regards,

Brendon

Lewis, your screenshot shows only five of the seven files I showed in the box in my screenshot. I can't see cdralw2k or cdr4_xp, although cdr4_xp is shown okay in your registry entry. I would expect that Windows would be hollering loudly if the file is called by the registry but not present in the \Drivers directory.

The slider at the RHS of your directory shows that there is a lot of that directory which is not displayed. Can you go through that entire \Drivers directory again to look for those two files, please?

If those files aren't there, I'm totally perplexed as to why they haven't been installed. Can we insert them manually?

There were several updates to version 6 so I'll need to know exactly which version you're running. I see your files are dated later than mine, and your udfreadr is shown as 7k bigger than mine, so would you please run the program, click on the menu button [top left], and then click 'About'

post-208-0-70645800-1378007590_thumb.jpgpost-208-0-73946500-1378007602_thumb.jpg

[1] Tell me the full version number that's displayed.

[2] Confirm the presence of those two files in the \Drivers directory

Cheers,

Brendon

Edited by Brendon

Hi Lewis,

Well, that is a turn up for the books! If you compare your driver files against mine, they are mostly about the same size. However your two CDR*.sys files have a different date from the rest of your Roxio drivers [9/19/05 vs. 5/30/03] and those two files [cdrawl2k and cdr4_xp] are only showing as 3k each. Mine are 25k and 63k respectively.

I think something else has replaced your original two files with smaller versions which are possibly only 'Place-holder" files - inactive files which do nothing if called, but are only there to stop Windows noticing that they've gone. That's why Creator isn't seeing your drive.

Possible solutions:

[1] Uninstall the Roxio suite; delete ALL the drivers shown in the red box in post #45 or any of them which are left; reinstall the Roxio suite.

or

[2] Replace those two under-sized driver files with copies of mine, and edit the registry carefully to insert the missing call to cdralw2k.

or

[3] if all else fails; uninstall yours, delete any of those drivers left, and reinstall from a disc I'll send you.

Solution 1 should be fairly quick to do, and we can try others if it doesn't work.

Solution 2 is using files from my version which is a bit different from yours, and the registry edit is a bit fiddly.

Solution 3 means a delay of 6-7 days while I airmail a disc from down here to wherever you live.

What do you think? I've sent you a PM, if you click on the envelope symbol up at the top right of a forum page to receive it. That way we can exchange necessary addresses.

post-208-0-32551100-1378168045_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brendon