ggrussell

Screen Grab of Video Overlay

Question

Does anyone know of a screenshot grabber that will grab a video overlay of the video card? For example, if you are watching a MPG clip in Windows Media Player, most screenshot apps will not grab the video.

Thanks

22 answers to this question

Does anyone know of a screenshot grabber that will grab a video overlay of the video card? For example, if you are watching a MPG clip in Windows Media Player, most screenshot apps will not grab the video.

Thanks

Gary, I use Snagit (v8) and just went to cnn.com and loaded up one of their videos then did a 'full screen capture' and it worked. I haven't tried it with WMP or a dvd player but can if you'd like.

post-79-1149093956.jpg

if you are watching a MPG clip in Windows Media Player, most screenshot apps will not grab the video.

Thanks

CyberLink Power DVD will do a capture in it, of mpeg 1-2, vob, vcd, window media, and avi files plus more.

It's the camera icon and defaults it to Power DVD folder but that can be changed.

cdanteek

Gary, I use Snagit (v8) and just went to cnn.com and loaded up one of their videos then did a 'full screen capture' and it worked. I haven't tried it with WMP or a dvd player but can if you'd like.

I use SnagIt as well; it has lots of options.

I have been using "Screen Seize", a program written by Neil Rubenking. Neil is a technical program writer for PC Magazine and continues a column there also. Screen Seize can capture anything that you can see on your monitor. ANYTHING. The only thing that none of the programs will do is capture the screen shots of your BIOS Setup program. That's understandable though, as all of them have to have the operating system running before they can operate.

Frank.....

Paul - I don't think video from the net or webcam use the video overlay of the video card. Run WIndows MEdia Player and play an MPG file. Try Snagit on that. I haven't seen a screen capture app that will do it.

I tried PowerDVD 5 and all I get are solid green captures. Strange. It worked with my nVidia 6200 AGP card with the exact same drivers too.

Paul - I don't think video from the net or webcam use the video overlay of the video card. Run WIndows MEdia Player and play an MPG file. Try Snagit on that. I haven't seen a screen capture app that will do it.

I tried PowerDVD 5 and all I get are solid green captures. Strange. It worked with my nVidia 6200 AGP card with the exact same drivers too.

Gary, Snagit works for me with WMP as well. I used the 'full screen' capture and this shot is with WMP11 beta.

post-79-1149110335.jpg

Interesting.... Snagit does NOT work for me. Must be the difference between nVidia and ATI cards and how they do teh video overlay. Here is what I get from SnagIt which is exactly what I get with all the other apps:

YES there was a video playing when I used SnagIt.

post-49-1149116818.jpg

Edited by ggrussell

Interesting.... Snagit does NOT work for me. Must be the difference between nVidia and ATI cards and how they do teh video overlay. Here is what I get from SnagIt which is exactly what I get with all the other apps:

YES there was a video playing when I used SnagIt.

hmmm, I'll have to try it out on my laptop with the Nvidia card and see what happens. I'll get back later with what I find out.

I'd try Screen Seize, but PC Mag now charges for downloads.

Gary, you're right about Nvidia I think. Just tried my laptop and I get a black screen. Never even thought about that. I use PowerDVD and if you just want a screen capture, it'll work tho I don't get the quality I see on my screen.

I tried PowerDVD. It did work on my old computer with the nVidia 6200, but on this new computer with the nVidia 7300 PCIe card, I just get a green rectangle. Really weird.

You are sure right Gary that PC Mag now charges for any downloads. I had forgot about that. I have subscribed to PC Mag for years now and back when I downlaoded it , or any of their utilities, you could download them for free. Sorry about that :)

Frank....

tried PowerDVD. It did work on my old computer with the nVidia 6200, but on this new computer with the nVidia 7300 PCIe card, I just get a green rectangle. Really weird.

Have you tried system diagontics in CyberLink?

cdanteek

Well, Maybe I spoke to soon. If I use a full screen capture I get a black screen and when I do a select screen area I also get a balck screen. (Screen Seize) After I do the capture and look at it in the screen seize program (brought up from the taskbar, the video is actually playing rather than just a screen shot. That's why I had reasoned that I could just save and get what ever was playing at that exact time I did the save. Not so. I am going to try the same thing on a couple of my other computers that have different video cards and see what happens there.

Frank....

I tried PowerDVD. It did work on my old computer with the nVidia 6200, but on this new computer with the nVidia 7300 PCIe card, I just get a green rectangle. Really weird.

I had 'hardware acceleration' turned on. When I turned it off, PowerDVD captured fine. ok? LOL

Hardcopy is pretty heavy-duty, but I'm not sure whether or not it will do what you want it to do. My licenced version is over 18 MB before installation (and mine is slightly out of date), but you can try the lighter freeware version.

Downloaded Hard Copy Pro evaluation. Didn't work either. I really think it has something to do with the nVidia video overlay buffer. It appears to be a totally separate part of the video memory that isn't captured.

I had 'hardware acceleration' turned on

Now I just turned 'hardware acceleration' on and Power DVD captured fine. I have a ATI AGP video card.

cdanteek

Gary,I use Screen Print 32 and it seemed to work ok.I tell it to capture the active window.I also have an NVidia 6600.

I downloaded Screen Print 32 and all it would do was 'print the screen'. I saw no option to send to the clipboard or save as JPG. Thanks though.

I use Gadwin PrintScreen and it gave me a black screen... funny that I never notice this until I see this thread... good to know tho... :)

Edited by gaper1

Hmmmm Gary,if you go to configure,then the General tab you should be able to tell it which portion of the screen to capture or ask it to pop up and ask each time.You can get to configure by right clicking on the icon in the taskbar.