26 replies to this topic

#1 nacra533

nacra533

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:32 PM

I am trying to use the tips in previous posts about buttons overlapping, etc with chapter problems.  I now have a new chapter problem.  I can not get chapters to work.  I create the chapters, but when I select it in the chapter menu, it starts from the beginning of the movie.  This worked once before, but when I opened a separate project that worked previously, it no longer worked.

My process:
Create movie/production using video wave.
  - Video is imported from a VCR tape, split into 3 separate movies for editing out unwanted portions.
   -Trim the 3 indiviual clips in video wave.
   -Add page turn transitions (possibly the culprit????) in video wave.
   - Save and send to My DVD.

In My DVD
  Create chapter menus using the button for creating chapter menus.
  Tell it to pick out chapters based on scenes.  I have 3, an intro, scene 1 and scene 2.
  It says "Some chapters could not be created because of chapter spacing rules", which I assume are the transitions.
  All 3 chapters listed are the ones I want, I hit OK.  

They show up in the menu bar on the left of the screen and on the chapter menu page.
I verified on the details, that it says start menu from Chapter 1, 2, or 3 depending on the button.

When I preview it, regardless of chapter selected, it starts fromt the beginning (intro) chapter.

#2 nacra533

nacra533

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

Follow up on this post
http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=57555

How should I do the following project, Chapters or Titles?  This may be the cause of many of my problems in other posts.

I am taking video from 1 VCR tape.  The tape is a training tape so there are multiple parts, but really 1 "movie".  For this example, lets say 3.
An intro which is 45 seconds
Scene 1 which is 30 minutes.
Scene 2 which is 30 minutes.

I want to edit the beginning and end of each scene to get rid of overlap, credits, advertisements, whatever.
When I captured the video,  I captured it in 3 movies/scenes, each overlapping each other. (overlap obviously trimmed later)

I have 3 movies/scenes on my computer and using videowave, I trim each scene so it starts and ends where I want it to.
I save one project in VW with scenes trimmed and a simple tranistion (page turn) between the scenes.
If I play the whole thing in VW, it looks like I want a DVD to look when I hit "Play Movie".
I send the one movie/project to MyDVD.

In My DVD, I want to add a menu.  Should it be chapter or title?  I've been using chapter.
It has not been working correctly, regardless of which chapter I select, it starts at the beginning.
(see this post:  http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=58024 )

Instead, should I be creating separate projects/movies for each scene?  If so, is there a way to premanately delete trimmed portions of a clip?

In other words, if I import a movie/scene and it is 10 minutes long, and I trim 1 minute from the beginning and 1 min from the end resulting in an 8 minute movie can I save this file in avi format and save 2 min of space on the hard drive?

Edited by nacra533, 02 November 2009 - 07:03 PM.

#3 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (nacra533 @ Nov 2 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am trying to use the tips in previous posts about buttons overlapping, etc with chapter problems.  I now have a new chapter problem.  I can not get chapters to work.  I create the chapters, but when I select it in the chapter menu, it starts from the beginning of the movie.  This worked once before, but when I opened a separate project that worked previously, it no longer worked.

My process:
Create movie/production using video wave.
  - Video is imported from a VCR tape, split into 3 separate movies for editing out unwanted portions.
   -Trim the 3 indiviual clips in video wave.
   -Add page turn transitions (possibly the culprit????) in video wave.
   - Save and send to My DVD.

In My DVD
  Create chapter menus using the button for creating chapter menus.
  Tell it to pick out chapters based on scenes.  I have 3, an intro, scene 1 and scene 2.
  It says "Some chapters could not be created because of chapter spacing rules", which I assume are the transitions.
  All 3 chapters listed are the ones I want, I hit OK.  

They show up in the menu bar on the left of the screen and on the chapter menu page.
I verified on the details, that it says start menu from Chapter 1, 2, or 3 depending on the button.

When I preview it, regardless of chapter selected, it starts fromt the beginning (intro) chapter.

Its impossible to follow your project blink.gif You have 2 or 3 threads going on the same project and I have no idea what you are doing or trying to do. Stick with one thread and don't throw too many variables into the post. I have no idea which post I should be responding to - they all seem to be related and duplicating.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#4 nacra533

nacra533

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Nov 2 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its impossible to follow your project blink.gif You have 2 or 3 threads going on the same project and I have no idea what you are doing or trying to do. Stick with one thread and don't throw too many variables into the post. I have no idea which post I should be responding to - they all seem to be related and duplicating.

Sorry.  I keep seeing chapter problems come up in other posts, which indicates a software problem????  Also, I have no idea if I am doing something wrong or if the program is messing up or if my "zero" experience with video editing is causing both to frustrate me.  My chapter problems are compounding.  At first they did not burn to DVD, now they are not working at all in preview mode.

The post on Chapters vs Titles:  http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=58025  is a better description of what I am trying to do and lists some of the problems I am having.  Let's start there.

I'll work on the Drive emulation next.  I can't emulate a drive, which was duplicated by someone else and sent up the chain.

#5 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,941 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:59 AM

I have 3 movies/scenes on my computer and using videowave,
Sounds like you are confused with the terminology.  Those aren't the same thing.
An intro which is 45 seconds
Scene 1 which is 30 minutes.
Scene 2 which is 30 minutes.
Did you capture these as three separate video files or one large video file?  
On the Main menu, do you want 3 buttons to play each segment or only 1 button?
Most people seem to just jump into a project without any planning.
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#6 nacra533

nacra533

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (ggrussell @ Nov 3 2009, 05:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like you are confused with the terminology.  Those aren't the same thing.
Did you capture these as three separate video files or one large video file?  
On the Main menu, do you want 3 buttons to play each segment or only 1 button?
Most people seem to just jump into a project without any planning.

Absolutely have no idea about terminology, which is contributing to my problems.

I want 3 separate buttons and a Play All ...OR.. "Play All" and "Menu" on 1 page and 3 separate buttons on the next page.

I recorded 1 ?movie? (its a training seminar) from 1 VCR tape.  The 1 hour training has 3 distinct parts.  I called them intro, scene 1, and scene 2.   For example. let's say this is first aid training.  The intro contains basic info, scene 1 contains first aid for burns, scene 2 contains first aid for broken bones.  All part of the original VCR tape but 3 distinct parts I want to be able to jump to, either using movies or chapters.  (In reality, my actual project has 5-6 distinct parts, but if I can do 3, surely I can figure out 6)

-I recorded it in 3 separate ?movies?, 1 for each part I wanted.
- I added all 3 ?movies? to the story board in the VideoWave Project and saved as 1 project.
-I edited/trimmed each movie in the VW project to what I want.
-Sent it to My DVD to create the DVD.
In this example, do I use chapters or movies?  There is only 1 Project in MyDVD, (which is the production from videowave containing 3 movies).  Chapter finder finds the chapter stops I want.

In the future, how should I do this?  Let's say I have not recorded it at all and I am starting from scratch.  What is the best way. to approach this?  My main goal is to not have to "fast forward" like you do with a VCR tape.  I want my TV to show "Play All"  and "Menu" on 1 page.  If I select "Menu", I want to be able to select "broken bones" or "burns" or "Intro".

I appreciate that you are trying to help and appologize that I can not explain this clearly.

#7 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (nacra533 @ Nov 3 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Absolutely have no idea about terminology, which is contributing to my problems.

I want 3 separate buttons and a Play All ...OR.. "Play All" and "Menu" on 1 page and 3 separate buttons on the next page.

I recorded 1 ?movie? (its a training seminar) from 1 VCR tape.  The 1 hour training has 3 distinct parts.  I called them intro, scene 1, and scene 2.   For example. let's say this is first aid training.  The intro contains basic info, scene 1 contains first aid for burns, scene 2 contains first aid for broken bones.  All part of the original VCR tape but 3 distinct parts I want to be able to jump to, either using movies or chapters.  (In reality, my actual project has 5-6 distinct parts, but if I can do 3, surely I can figure out 6)

-I recorded it in 3 separate ?movies?, 1 for each part I wanted.
- I added all 3 ?movies? to the story board in the VideoWave Project and saved as 1 project.
-I edited/trimmed each movie in the VW project to what I want.
-Sent it to My DVD to create the DVD.
In this example, do I use chapters or movies?  There is only 1 Project in MyDVD, (which is the production from videowave containing 3 movies).  Chapter finder finds the chapter stops I want.

In the future, how should I do this?  Let's say I have not recorded it at all and I am starting from scratch.  What is the best way. to approach this?  My main goal is to not have to "fast forward" like you do with a VCR tape.  I want my TV to show "Play All"  and "Menu" on 1 page.  If I select "Menu", I want to be able to select "broken bones" or "burns" or "Intro".

I appreciate that you are trying to help and appologize that I can not explain this clearly.

I think it's finally clear what you want to accomplish.

To best do what you have in mind is to create 3 separate projects using the Videowave program. This VW you launch by selecting Edit Video-Advanced from the Creator 2010 homepage. It is different from the videowave you use in myDVD. With the correct VW launched add the Intro movie and make any editing changes you want and then Using "File/Save As" save your VW project. It will have an extension dmsm.
Similarily create 2 more VW project and save each one and give it different names.
Once you have done this, exit VW and launch myDVD. Using Add Photo/video, add each of the 3 VW projects in the correct order. Each project will appear as a separate Title on the menu page.

Save this myDVD project as dmsd project file.

Lets see if you can get this far before proceeding to a burn.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
SoundMAX Digital Audio
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit

#8 nacra533

nacra533

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Nov 3 2009, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's finally clear what you want to accomplish.

To best do what you have in mind is to create 3 separate projects using the Videowave program. This VW you launch by selecting Edit Video-Advanced from the Creator 2010 homepage. It is different from the videowave you use in myDVD. With the correct VW launched add the Intro movie and make any editing changes you want and then Using "File/Save As" save your VW project. It will have an extension dmsm.
Similarily create 2 more VW project and save each one and give it different names.
Once you have done this, exit VW and launch myDVD. Using Add Photo/video, add each of the 3 VW projects in the correct order. Each project will appear as a separate Title on the menu page.

Save this myDVD project as dmsd project file.

Lets see if you can get this far before proceeding to a burn.

Tested using 2 very small movies.  1 minute each.

This works so far.  I tested other things as well.
Changed Menu Music sucessfully following the exact same process as before.
I added a sub menu.
Added an unlinked button and instructed it to "Play All"

Everything is working exactly as I want it to.   Except.....

I Still can not emulate a drive to test it.
I have not tried to use chapter menu yet.  I'll play with that a little.  

Thanks for the help so far.  I think the biggest change from my orginal plan/process (and I actually did plan) was adding multiple productions(movies) from VideoWave instead of adding 1 Videowave Production containing multiple movies/clips.

#9 caper7ca

caper7ca

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (nacra533 @ Nov 3 2009, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tested using 2 very small movies.  1 minute each.

This works so far.  I tested other things as well.
Changed Menu Music sucessfully following the exact same process as before.
I added a sub menu.
Added an unlinked button and instructed it to "Play All"

Everything is working exactly as I want it to.   Except.....

I Still can not emulate a drive to test it.
I have not tried to use chapter menu yet.  I'll play with that a little.  

Thanks for the help so far.  I think the biggest change from my orginal plan/process (and I actually did plan) was adding multiple productions(movies) from VideoWave instead of adding 1 Videowave Production containing multiple movies/clips.

I also have 1 movie with multiple chapters - which should work. But the chapter headings are all messed up can can't be selected. We should not have to create individual movies in VW, save each one and then combine them in My DVD.

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,142 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (caper7ca @ Nov 4 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also have 1 movie with multiple chapters - which should work. But the chapter headings are all messed up can can't be selected. We should not have to create individual movies in VW, save each one and then combine them in My DVD.

Yes you do if you want them to display the behavior of Titles.

If you want them to be Chapters and behave as chapters, then no.

But they are completely separate definitions and behave in different ways.

It is confusing at first but when you gain some experience it will all become perfectly clear.

It would be best if you started your own Topic instead of bursting into someone else’s, less confusing.

Edited by Jim_Hardin, 04 November 2009 - 06:26 PM.

Posted Image

#11 nacra533

nacra533

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (caper7ca @ Nov 4 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hijacked yours, so you're welcome in mine.

I just got off a long chat with Hewlett Packard about other problems I was having with this computer.  The tech supp agent told me that Memorex and TDK do not work with HP DVD burners.  This could be my issue.  Possibly yours??? I have been looking for the recommended verbatim dvds, but can not find yet.

I am confused as you with the title and chapter issue.  I think our problem is in the software or the DVD itself.  I tried it with titles and it worked.  It seems it ought to work as chapters if everything is working correctly, but maybe it does not.

#12 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (nacra533 @ Nov 4 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hijacked yours, so you're welcome in mine.

I just got off a long chat with Hewlett Packard about other problems I was having with this computer.  The tech supp agent told me that Memorex and TDK do not work with HP DVD burners.  This could be my issue.  Possibly yours??? I have been looking for the recommended verbatim dvds, but can not find yet.

I am confused as you with the title and chapter issue.  I think our problem is in the software or the DVD itself.  I tried it with titles and it worked.  It seems it ought to work as chapters if everything is working correctly, but maybe it does not.

Does HP even make their own DVD Burners? The burner I have in my HP Laptop was made by Samsung and works just fine with Memorex and TDKs.

There is no problem with the software regarding Titles and Chapters. It is really quite simple.

A Title is a movie on the main menu page. That title can then be subdivided into chapters. You create the chapters by selecting the Title on the main menu page, then select Edit Chapters to bring up the Chapter window where you can setup chapter points in several ways. Once you have selected your chapter points, you select create chapter menu.

There is a big difference in how Titles and Chapters behave. Titles can be set up so that they play in sequence (if you have more then one Title) or they can be setup so that they return to the main menu after they finish playing.  Once a chapter (for a selected Title) is selected it will play from that point on until the end of the Title.

Your problem is that you are confusing Titles with Chapters rolleyes.gif They are not the same thing

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#13 nacra533

nacra533

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Nov 4 2009, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does HP even make their own DVD Burners? The burner I have in my HP Laptop was made by Samsung and works just fine with Memorex and TDKs.

There is no problem with the software regarding Titles and Chapters. It is really quite simple.

A Title is a movie on the main menu page. That title can then be subdivided into chapters. You create the chapters by selecting the Title on the main menu page, then select Edit Chapters to bring up the Chapter window where you can setup chapter points in several ways. Once you have selected your chapter points, you select create chapter menu.

There is a big difference in how Titles and Chapters behave. Titles can be set up so that they play in sequence (if you have more then one Title) or they can be setup so that they return to the main menu after they finish playing.  Once a chapter (for a selected Title) is selected it will play from that point on until the end of the Title.

Your problem is that you are confusing Titles with Chapters rolleyes.gif They are not the same thing

I am new to this, so I am trying to understand, not argue with people who know way more than I do.  Please excuse my terminology if I mess it up.  I am trying to use the terminology used in Roxio Creator 2010.

"Main menu" page is what I call the first page that shows up when I put the DVD in.
In MYDVD, if I select "Change Menu Style" it puts up 2 menus, the one on top is labeled "main menu" and the bottom is labeled "chapter menu." I will try to stick with this.

On my main menu page, I want it to have 2 options, "Play Movie" (or Play All) and "MENU".
Selecting "Play All" should do the obvious, play all from the start.
Selecting "MENU" should bring up the Chapter Menu Page, just as it does in the "Change Menu Style" dialog.

Here is where the confusion (or program error) begins - when using chapters in the chapter menu.  You have described what I want to do and have been trying to do.  It seems that folks that know what they are doing seem to be telling those of us that don't that we should not use chapters in the chapter menu.

Let's say we have done the above.  On the Main Menu, we have the PLAY ALL button and MENU button.
We imported 1 production into MyDVD. This production is a trip to the zoo.  We have 20 clips?? in this production because of trims, B-reels, and all sorts of filming things.  All we really want to do is to able to skip to the footage of the Monkeys, Tigers, and Bears. 3 chapters.

-We use chapter finder in MyDVD to find the chapters and form 3 chapters on the chapter menu (1 movie).
-On the chapter menu, we have 3 words/buttons/links? ->  Monkeys, Tigers, and Bears.  
Selecting any of them should jump to that chapter within the 1 movie.  We can select which chapter it should jump to and what to do after playing it.

My problem, and I think others', is that:
1. Using this process causes the movie to start at the beginning, regardless of the chapter selected- (My first chapter "Monkey"s shows a lock on it.  Maybe because its chapter begins at the beginning of the production??????????????)
2.  Once we do all of this and burn it to DVD.  The buttons do not highlight on the chapter menu at all and it freezes up OR the buttons partially highlight and you can not play all chapters.

QUOTE (myguggi @ Nov 4 2009, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems odd to me too. This is copy of the chat transcript.  We were discussing creating system recovery discs.

Penny : And Jason please do not use memorex and TDK DVD to create recovery CD.
Penny : memorex and TDK CD/DVD will not work with HP computer.
Penny : Please save both of the links and take the print out.
Jason  : Why is that, I have 50 of them. That may explain why I can not properly burn videos.
Jason  : the dvds.
Penny : Actually memorex and TDK CD/DVD will not compatible with HP, the coded files of the memorex and TDK are not decoded in the HP computers.
Penny : I am really sorry for that.

Edited by nacra533, 04 November 2009 - 08:56 PM.

#14 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,941 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (nacra533 @ Nov 5 2009, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On my main menu page, I want it to have 2 options, "Play Movie" (or Play All) and "MENU".
Selecting "Play All" should do the obvious, play all from the start.
Selecting "MENU" should bring up the Chapter Menu Page, just as it does in the "Change Menu Style" dialog.
We should stop and talk about this statement.  You have the correct idea about the Main Menu.

You can create a submenu, but it wouldn't necessarily be 'Chapter' menu.  Chapters by definition is a point in a movie that the viewer can jump to using the remote.  Just adding clips to a submenu doesn't make them chapters.  They would simply be clips on a menu.

The correct way:
Add your movie file to the main menu. This creates a default button.
Rename it "Play Movie"
Select it and copy to clipboard (Cntl-C)
Move it slightly. Then Paste (Cntl-V) the button back. Rename this button "Scenes" or "Select Scenes".
Right click on this second button and choose Edit Chapters.
Add your chapters and make sure the option at the bottom is checked to create a submenu.

You now have two buttons on the Main Menu.  One button plays the entire video.  The second takes the viewer to another menu where they can choose the chapters.
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#15 caper7ca

caper7ca

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (ggrussell @ Nov 4 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We should stop and talk about this statement.  You have the correct idea about the Main Menu.

You can create a submenu, but it wouldn't necessarily be 'Chapter' menu.  Chapters by definition is a point in a movie that the viewer can jump to using the remote.  Just adding clips to a submenu doesn't make them chapters.  They would simply be clips on a menu.

The correct way:
Rename it "Play Movie"
Move it slightly. Then Paste (Cntl-V) the button back. Rename this button "Scenes" or "Select Scenes".
Add your chapters and make sure the option at the bottom is checked to create a submenu.

You now have two buttons on the Main Menu.  One button plays the entire video.  The second takes the viewer to another menu where they can choose the chapters.

Lots of great info here. And I did not mean to deflect discussion but only offer data that be helpful. My titles work well. Actually, I created a DVD with two titles - with no problem at all. And they are able to be selected. My problem is with Chapters not being able to be selected once burned. I have a ticket logged with Roxio on that and will let everyone know if that gets resolved.

#16 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (caper7ca @ Nov 5 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lots of great info here. And I did not mean to deflect discussion but only offer data that be helpful. My titles work well. Actually, I created a DVD with two titles - with no problem at all. And they are able to be selected. My problem is with Chapters not being able to be selected once burned. I have a ticket logged with Roxio on that and will let everyone know if that gets resolved.

Why don't you start a new thread and tell us exactly what problems you are having with the chapters and exactly how you are setting up the chapters. I have created several DVDs containing several Titles plus chapters and have had no problems selecting chapters.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#17 caper7ca

caper7ca

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Nov 5 2009, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why don't you start a new thread and tell us exactly what problems you are having with the chapters and exactly how you are setting up the chapters. I have created several DVDs containing several Titles plus chapters and have had no problems selecting chapters.

Actually, I have a thread already. Not sure how to link to that. but it is under the "How To". It describes the whole issues around chapter problems I am having.

#18 nacra533

nacra533

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (ggrussell @ Nov 4 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The correct way:
Rename it "Play Movie"

I may be having confusion about "movie".  When you refer to movie, I assume you are referring to 1 Production from Video Wave, regardless of how many movie clips the production contains.   Correct??

Next, In Add Chapters: when I create chapters using "Automatically Create Chapters -> At the start of Every Panel", the first chapter has a "lock" icon and says "locked chapter" What does this mean?  I can not delete this chapter from the menu.  I can delete all others.  This chapter is approximately 45 seconds long.  Is is too short??

For this problem, I am using a production from Video Wave when I "Add Movie"
In Preview Mode:  From the chapter menu, I still can not jump to a chapter when selecting it.  The movie always starts at the beginning.

If I add plain movie in .wmv format, the chapter menu seems to work correctly.

#19 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,941 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

A 'movie' can be 1 Videowave production or a single video file (MPG, WMV, MPG4, etc).

You can't remove the 1st chapter.  Always starts at the beginning.  There is a minimum length for chapters, but I think it's shorter than 45 sec.

You need to click on Play button beside Burn.  This brings up a DVD emulation with remote control buttons to left. You should be able to preview the chapter menu there.
---------

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#20 nacra533

nacra533

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (ggrussell @ Nov 5 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to click on Play button beside Burn.  This brings up a DVD emulation with remote control buttons to left. You should be able to preview the chapter menu there.

This is what I do to "preview" it.  Unfortunately, selecting any chapter starts at the beginning of chapter 1 / beginning of the movie.  I have verified that the buttons point to the correct chapter number in the settings.  

These are the settings in the Link field when I select Chapter 2 from the Chapter Menu.  It plays from Chapter 1.  Same with all chapters.

Go to: Production and all remaining movies
Play from: Chapter 2
After Playing:  Title Action

I have 3 separate productions (all of the ones I'vd done) that this happens on.  I've even tried starting from scratch on the production in Video Wave, re-editing it to trim out unwanted content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users