• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ghall426

ghall426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:25 AM

I made a DVD with myDVD.  It plays fine on a standalone DVD player and with Cineplayer but will not play with Windows Media Player.  I'm sure this has something to do with a codec, but here's my questions:

1.  If it plays with Cineplayer and I'm on the same computer that I created it with, shouldn't the codec already be available for media player to use?

2.  What do I need to install or have people install to play this DVD on their computer?

3.  If I buy a DVD at the store, it plays on this computer and my laptop.  Do those DVDs use codecs too?

Thanks.

Greg

#2 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:54 AM

Greg,

You need a plug-in for your WMP to play DVD video. Here is the link. I believe the codec that comes with a 3rd party software such as CinePlayer is exclusively for its use only.

In order to play DVD video disc on a computer, one needs a DVD drive in the computer (the drive should be able to support the type of DVD disc, such as -R, +R, or RW, that you used to burn your video). You also need a software (such as CinePlayer, Cyberlink PowerDVD, the freebie VLC media player, etc) to play back the DVD video.

If you expect the recipients of your video to be using the computer to watch it and if your video is not really that long, maybe create a WMV file of your video production. That should play nicely in WMP without purchasing any plug-in or software.

Of course, the stand-alone DVD player uses codecs to be able to recognize and play the files on the DVD that it advertises to play.

Edited by malatekid, 12 November 2009 - 09:12 AM.

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 3
Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

1 GB DDR3 EVGA GeForce GT 630
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Samsung SH-S203B, Asus DRW-2014L1T
Epson R300 printer, Epson 4490 Scanner

#3 ghall426

ghall426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

Both of my computers can play purchased DVDs, just not the ones that I burn with myDVD.  So what Codec do I need to play these discs?

#4 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

The fact that the DVD burned using MyDVD played in the stand-alone DVD player, as you mentioned on post #1, means that the burn is successful and it is a DVD-compliant one.
"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 3
Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

1 GB DDR3 EVGA GeForce GT 630
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Samsung SH-S203B, Asus DRW-2014L1T
Epson R300 printer, Epson 4490 Scanner

#5 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,607 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (ghall426 @ Nov 12 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both of my computers can play purchased DVDs, just not the ones that I burn with myDVD.  So what Codec do I need to play these discs?

Explain exactly how you play purchased DVD's? Explain exactly how you try to play DVD's you make in MyDVD?

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#6 ghall426

ghall426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (malatekid @ Nov 12 2009, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that the DVD burned using MyDVD played in the stand-alone DVD player, as you mentioned on post #1, means that the burn is successful and it is a DVD-compliant one.

I understand that.  But what I want to know is how to get it to play on a computer.  What codec is needed?

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Nov 12 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Explain exactly how you play purchased DVD's? Explain exactly how you try to play DVD's you make in MyDVD?

cd

I put them in my DVD drive, windows media player autostarts.  Purchased DVD's play OK.  The DVDs I create give an error of "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings."

This error means a codec is missing.  But what codec do I need?  I don't understand why Roxio and myDVD wouldn't use a codec that's more compatable with windows, but regardless, I just want to know what I need to get them to play on my computer or any other computer I might use.

#7 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,607 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (ghall426 @ Nov 12 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand that.  But what I want to know is how to get it to play on a computer.  What codec is needed?

I put them in my DVD drive, windows media player autostarts.  Purchased DVD's play OK.  The DVDs I create give an error of "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings."

This error means a codec is missing.  But what codec do I need?  I don't understand why Roxio and myDVD wouldn't use a codec that's more compatable with windows, but regardless, I just want to know what I need to get them to play on my computer or any other computer I might use.

What project type/setting did you use to make the DVD's??

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#8 ghall426

ghall426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Nov 12 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What project type/setting did you use to make the DVD's??

cd

I've done several.  Either DVD project or DVD project/no menus.  Encoding is set to "Fit to Disc" which grays out all other options.  No mention of encoders or codecs anywhere.

#9 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,381,973 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

Greg,

DVDs don't use codecs of the type that AVI and similar container files use, which is why they're not mentioned by MyDVD.

'Codecs' are encoder/decoder pairs which are used to produce unique types of compressed audio-video files for AVIs and similar containers, where a matching decoder is needed to decompress the a-v at playing time. Because of this you need to hunt down codecs to match any new type of compression that's used in a container file.

DVDs, on the other hand, use a standard form of Mpeg file which must be capable of being decoded by any standard decoder

Mpeg decoders don't seem to come free with most versions of Windows, so you have to go get them, as Malate Kid pointed out in post #2.
If you are giving DVDs to people to play in their computers, each of them will have to go and obtain DVD decoder software for their computer before they can play your DVDs.

I suspect you must have some Mpeg decoder installed on your computers apart from the Roxio Cinemaster decoder that Roxio Cineplayer [installed with Creator 2009] uses, if your Windows Media Player can play commercial DVDs properly. My machine [in XP, SP2] has only the Cinemaster decoder installed, and although Cineplayer plays them perfectly, Windows Media Player struggles and breaks up and the video is horrible.

If you're running Windows XP [you haven't said what your Operating System is] you could use the DecCheckSetup.exe Video Decoder Checkup utility from Microsoft to see what decoder(s) you might have loaded.

However, all this complication will be avoided if, as Malate Kid suggests, you "create a WMV file of your video production. That should play nicely in WMP without purchasing any plug-in or software."

Regards,
Brendon

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windws XP, 7, and 8

So, what happens now?

#10 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,607 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:01 AM

Just a couple other options.

Windows vista does include a free DVD decoder, it is only available in Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate.This is great for people who have these editions of windows vista.

If you do not want to  purchase a 3rd party DVD decoder, then you can play DVD's using VLC media player which is free.

Go here and download it:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

cd

cd
Spoiler

#11 ghall426

ghall426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (Brendon @ Nov 12 2009, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greg,

DVDs don't use codecs of the type that AVI and similar container files use, which is why they're not mentioned by MyDVD.

'Codecs' are encoder/decoder pairs which are used to produce unique types of compressed audio-video files for AVIs and similar containers, where a matching decoder is needed to decompress the a-v at playing time. Because of this you need to hunt down codecs to match any new type of compression that's used in a container file.

DVDs, on the other hand, use a standard form of Mpeg file which must be capable of being decoded by any standard decoder

Mpeg decoders don't seem to come free with most versions of Windows, so you have to go get them, as Malate Kid pointed out in post #2.
If you are giving DVDs to people to play in their computers, each of them will have to go and obtain DVD decoder software for their computer before they can play your DVDs.

I suspect you must have some Mpeg decoder installed on your computers apart from the Roxio Cinemaster decoder that Roxio Cineplayer [installed with Creator 2009] uses, if your Windows Media Player can play commercial DVDs properly. My machine [in XP, SP2] has only the Cinemaster decoder installed, and although Cineplayer plays them perfectly, Windows Media Player struggles and breaks up and the video is horrible.

If you're running Windows XP [you haven't said what your Operating System is] you could use the DecCheckSetup.exe Video Decoder Checkup utility from Microsoft to see what decoder(s) you might have loaded.

However, all this complication will be avoided if, as Malate Kid suggests, you "create a WMV file of your video production. That should play nicely in WMP without purchasing any plug-in or software."

Regards,
Brendon

Thanks for the great explanation.  So for example if have a DIVX .avi file, I need the DIVX codec to play it.  Once I create a DVD with that file and use the valid MPEG2 format, I no longer need the DIVX codec, only a valid MPEG2 codec.  Is this correct?

#12 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,381,973 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (ghall426 @ Nov 13 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the great explanation.  So for example if have a DIVX .avi file, I need the DIVX codec to play it.  Once I create a DVD with that file and use the valid MPEG2 format, I no longer need the DIVX codec, only a valid MPEG2 codec.  Is this correct?

Yes, that's correct.

The DivX codec decompresses the file in the AVI, and it's put on your DVD as compliant MPEG2. It's then just a standard DVD.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

So, what happens now?

#13 ghall426

ghall426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Brendon @ Nov 13 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, that's correct.

The DivX codec decompresses the file in the AVI, and it's put on your DVD as compliant MPEG2. It's then just a standard DVD.

Great, thanks.  So since commercial DVDs play but DVDs created by me don't, I will look into my MPEG2 codec that is installed then.  Thanks again for your help.

#14 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (ghall426 @ Nov 13 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great, thanks.  So since commercial DVDs play but DVDs created by me don't, I will look into my MPEG2 codec that is installed then.  Thanks again for your help.

Why don't you create a simple, short myDVD project and create a DVD. Use RW DVDs for these tests. This will tell you if you have the correct mpeg2 codecs installed, which you most likely have since you created a DVD that played.

In one of your posts you mentioned something about an error messages about incorrect display settings. What are your display settings? Display settings have nothing to do with codecs.

Edited by myguggi, 13 November 2009 - 04:02 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#15 ghall426

ghall426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Nov 13 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why don't you create a simple, short myDVD project and create a DVD. Use RW DVDs for these tests. This will tell you if you have the correct mpeg2 codecs installed, which you most likely have since you created a DVD that played.

I don't need to create any more DVDs.  I have several now that play on a DVD player but not on my computer.   Only commercial DVDs play on my computer, so I think I have an issue with whatever mpeg2 codec is on my system.

In one of your posts you mentioned something about an error messages about incorrect display settings. What are your display settings? Display settings have nothing to do with codecs.

My display settings are fine.  The error is everywhere on the internet pointing to improper codecs.

#16 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,381,973 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:53 PM

This is a WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER issue.

Since you say the error is "everywhere on the internet pointing to improper codecs", have you tried either of the two alternative solutions recommended HERE ?

He suggests [1] Getting an alternative DVD player program such as the VLC Player recommended by Malate Kid in post #2 of this very topic, or [2] Downloading the K-Lite codec pack which also contains a standard MPEG decoder, which has also been recommended.

Have you tried either of those two solutions?

So, what happens now?

#17 ghall426

ghall426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Brendon @ Nov 14 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER issue.

Since you say the error is "everywhere on the internet pointing to improper codecs", have you tried either of the two alternative solutions recommended HERE ?

He suggests [1] Getting an alternative DVD player program such as the VLC Player recommended by Malate Kid in post #2 of this very topic, or [2] Downloading the K-Lite codec pack which also contains a standard MPEG decoder, which has also been recommended.

Have you tried either of those two solutions?

[1] I do not want to use an alternative DVD player program.  I want to use Windows Media Player.

[2] At the beginning of this post, I did not know that an MPEG2 codec was my problem.  I will install a new codec pack and report back on its effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users