Sign in to follow this  
jerrygref

Sounds disappears halfway during burn

Question

Hey there...

I was trying to burn a movie I made from personal VHS tapes about an hour and 40 minutes in length. I made a QT .mov file from iMovie. When placed into the Toast window, the full audio is there, or at least appears to be there in the Edit mode.

But, during burning, the audio mysteriously drops out halfway through the movie. What's up with that?

Again, the audio is present in the .mov file. The audio boxes are all checked in iMovie where they should be.

Had this same problem about six months ago once, but can't remember what the problem was nor how I solved it.

Any help?

Jerry

Toast 7.0.2 Mac 10.4.6

16 answers to this question

Guest ivanatrox

create a disc image with your project, mount it with Toast then play it on your Mac... does the audio still drops out halfway through?

Oh my.

I am having the same problem that this person was having...can anyone help?

did you ever try what was suggested above and see what the result is... are you running 7.1?

Yes, i tried...there was no sound either

Instead of exporting a QT movie have you tried adding the iMovie Project file to the Toast Video window? This can easily be done using the Toast Media Browser. Toast will select the project's .mov reference file from the Project file. Then choose Save as Disc Image so you can test that the video contains the audio all the way through (mount the disc image to play it with DVD Player). If all is okay, burn the disc image using the Image File setting in the Copy window. Also, I recommend updating to Toast 7.1.

Thanks for your help.

I burned a couple of other projects and had no trouble with sound. I attempted to burn a 2.5 hour disc and the sound played throughout, except for the last 20 mins. :)

So, I updated to 7.1, added the .mov files again and will try that way. I'm hoping that 7.0.1 had a bug, which was causing the sound to drop.

m

Hi there.

I am having the same problem. I have a movie that I "burned as a disc image" and then burned a DVD. Now it drops the sound after 10 minutes of the movie. Any suggestions??

Thank you!

Hi there.

I am having the same problem. I have a movie that I "burned as a disc image" and then burned a DVD. Now it drops the sound after 10 minutes of the movie. Any suggestions??

Thank you!

Tell me more about the source movie. Was it created in iMovie? Did it have multiple sound tracks? Does the place the DVD's audio stop have any relationship to any edit in the movie? How did the movie get into Toast? I'd like to try doing the same thing you've done to see if I can troubleshoot this.

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. The source movie was a .img file that plays perfectly in the VLC player (the sound is constant throughout). When I put the file into the Toast, it has to convert it from PAL to NTSC before I can burn it. (I had 3 files...(there were 3 files...1) Video_TS 2) VTS_01_0 and 3) VTS_01_1). I just had it do all three even though the first two don't have any information on them (they both showed 0:00:00, while the 3rd showed 1:45:24). So I went through that whole process and then when I tried to burn the Toast file, the picture was great the whole time and the audio stopped after 10 minutes.

So i found out that the problem is when I converted the file to a .toast (burned as a disc image). The file worked perfectly before I did that (as a .img file), but lost sound when I made it a .toast file. Any suggestions??

Thanks so much!!

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. The source movie was a .img file that plays perfectly in the VLC player (the sound is constant throughout). When I put the file into the Toast, it has to convert it from PAL to NTSC before I can burn it. (I had 3 files...(there were 3 files...1) Video_TS 2) VTS_01_0 and 3) VTS_01_1). I just had it do all three even though the first two don't have any information on them (they both showed 0:00:00, while the 3rd showed 1:45:24). So I went through that whole process and then when I tried to burn the Toast file, the picture was great the whole time and the audio stopped after 10 minutes.

I'm a little confused by your description. My understanding is that .img is a disc image type. It may contain video files but they can't be played unless the .img file is mounted. What kind of files are inside the mounted .img file? Is it a VIDEO_TS folder?

If it is a VIDEO_TS folder how did you drag the video to the Toast Video window for converting to NTSC and burning to a new video DVD? The official way is mount the disc image, choose DVD Video as the format in the Toast Video window, click the Media Browser, choose DVD with the top button in the browser, go down one level with the lower button to get to the Title level of the DVD that shows up in the lower window, and drag the title across to the Video window.

When you say it had just three files are you referring to the original or to the VIDEO_TS folder created by Toast?

Hello again

I tried what you suggested, but after I spend hours waiting for it to encode, it tells me that the file (now that it is converted to NTSC) is 5.27GB and thus too big. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

josH

Hello again

I tried what you suggested, but after I spend hours waiting for it to encode, it tells me that the file (now that it is converted to NTSC) is 5.27GB and thus too big. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

josH

Hopefully you haven't quit Toast so the encodings are still in the converted items folder so you won't have to go through the encoding stage again. If you choose Save as Disc Image it won't matter if the resulting encoding is too big. That's because when you go to burn the disc image using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window you'll be given the option to have Toast fit the content to a single-layer DVD.

I don't know why the output was so large. Toast typically fits up to 2-1/2 hours of video within a single-layer DVD. The only thing I can think of is that the audio was set for PCM instead of Dolby Digital. That would make the file much larger.

Edited by tsantee

Worked like a charm! Thank you! It lost all the Chapters for some reason-is there a way to keep those? Certainly not a huge deal. thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it.

Worked like a charm! Thank you! It lost all the Chapters for some reason-is there a way to keep those? Certainly not a huge deal. thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it.

I'm glad it finally worked. As for the chapters Toast only keeps existing chapters when no encoding is needed. The PAL>NTSC conversion stripped the chapter markers.