dbx166

Running Jam on an Intel "Snow Leopard" machine

Question

I am happily running Jam 5 on a G4 933, but a new Mac Pro is in my future.

Now a friend informs me that Jam will not run on 10.6. Is this true?

I have 100's of "shows" that have been created in Jam and 100's more in the future.

I didn't make the jump to Jam 6 as it stripped all the formatting of "shows" done in Jam 5, but Jam 5 never gave me a spec of trouble so it was a no brainer, although I do have Jam 6 on premise.

Now, I know that many of Jam's feature were rolled into Toast, but there is just no way to justify using Toast as a substitute. And readers of this forum need no convincing of that, no do I need to explain.

My question is can Jam work, or be made to work on an Intel Mac Pro running 10.6. ?

If the answer is no, my work around will be to keep the G4 as my Jam machine, but that sure clouds the excitement of a new slamming 3.3ghz Mac Pro.

All responses or hypothesis welcome, as this is a life changing matter . . .

Perry/Chicago

64 answers to this question

Read up through the thread and you will get some hints, but I will let you know within the last month, I have Jam 5.01 working famously on a brand new MacPro (quad core 3.33) and 15" MacBook Pro 2.66, both of course running 10.6.3.

I too had the bouncing icon. I think the problem is the installer is not compatible. Not the application.

So I think you just need to have a successful installation from a previous machine.

Drag over the old app to your new computer. Then from your user Library drag over the Roxio folder from Application Support folder and "com.roxio.Jam.plist" from the Preference folder. You can also drag com.roxio.Toast.plist if you plan on moving an older version of Toast (in my case v. 8.01.)

At this point, everything opened as per normal and splendidly.

All output was fed fine thru the Digital output which is connected to the main system in my studio.

In fact, the past 4/15/10, I launched the first new show produced entirely on the new MacPro system using Jam 5.01.

( http://www.bestradioyouhaveneverheard.com/podcasts/ )

So it will work. I held my breath hoping it would and let out a huge sigh of relief when everything was working normally.

Perry/Chicago

I looked for the Roxio folder in my application support folder on the old hard drive but there isn't one. All I've been able to find are the plist files for Toast & Jam. Am I looking in the right place - user/username/library/application support?

I looked for the Roxio folder in my application support folder on the old hard drive but there isn't one. All I've been able to find are the plist files for Toast & Jam. Am I looking in the right place - user/username/library/application support?

One other thing I noticed is that CD Spin Doctor and Motion Pictures software that came w/ Toast 6 both function. There was also a "patch" file inside of Toast 6 that when executed, indicates as successfully applied but Toast still does not launch.

One other thing I noticed is that CD Spin Doctor and Motion Pictures software that came w/ Toast 6 both function. There was also a "patch" file inside of Toast 6 that when executed, indicates as successfully applied but Toast still does not launch.

I actually tried to use Spin Doctor from Version 8 the other day, and although it launched correctly, no functions from playback to filtering would work and needed to be forced to quit.

Toast is burning just fine however. I'd like to find what is hanging it up, as I do use Spin Doctor often.

Perry/Chicago

I don't see anything related to Jam in any Library other than "Roxio Jam Preferences" and "com.roxio.jam.plist" in my user preferences folder.

I actually tried to use Spin Doctor from Version 8 the other day, and although it launched correctly, no functions from playback to filtering would work and needed to be forced to quit.

Toast is burning just fine however. I'd like to find what is hanging it up, as I do use Spin Doctor often.

Perry/Chicago

I believe only the latest update to Spin Doctor in Toast 10.0.6 works with Snow Leopard. If you want to keep using the version from Toast 8 you'll probably need to boot your Mac using an earlier version of OS X.

I don't see anything related to Jam in any Library other than "Roxio Jam Preferences" and "com.roxio.jam.plist" in my user preferences folder.

To recap - Migration Assistant brought over Jam & Toast from my old MBP and then I copied over the app again from the old MBP and another back-up. Still get the bouncing icon on both.

I believe only the latest update to Spin Doctor in Toast 10.0.6 works with Snow Leopard. If you want to keep using the version from Toast 8 you'll probably need to boot your Mac using an earlier version of OS X.

I checked further with my Spin Doctor and all it will do is open a file and then the program hangs up. I don't use SD but thought there might be some hope whereas it at least opened.

The Application Support Roxio Folder on closer look has to do with Disc Catalog Maker, which who knows when and what version of Toast loaded that in my old G4. When I moved stuff over, I was just covering all things Roxio, Jam and Toast.

Seems to have made things work for me, and I guarantee, I'm not msesing with anything at this point.

Perry/Chicago

The Application Support Roxio Folder on closer look has to do with Disc Catalog Maker, which who knows when and what version of Toast loaded that in my old G4. When I moved stuff over, I was just covering all things Roxio, Jam and Toast.

Seems to have made things work for me, and I guarantee, I'm not msesing with anything at this point.

Perry/Chicago

Well, I tried copying over again and reinstalling using the dmg file of Jam and Toast was a transfer as I don't seem to have the dmg for it. Toast momentarily appears in the menu bar at the top of the screen (it may have before but I might not have noticed) along with dock icon bounce and Jam has usual icon bounce in dock for 1-2 seconds and then is gone.

Are you on one of the new MBP 15s that came out last week? That's what I'm on so I'm wondering if you're not, maybe it's the difference in the laptops.

Well, I tried copying over again and reinstalling using the dmg file of Jam and Toast was a transfer as I don't seem to have the dmg for it. Toast momentarily appears in the menu bar at the top of the screen (it may have before but I might not have noticed) along with dock icon bounce and Jam has usual icon bounce in dock for 1-2 seconds and then is gone.

Are you on one of the new MBP 15s that came out last week? That's what I'm on so I'm wondering if you're not, maybe it's the difference in the laptops.

No it's the last generation. It's about two months old. My MacPro is about a month old.

And again, I just copied over the apps from the Application folder of the old G4 into the Application folder of the new MacPro and MBP.

I did not use an installer (I think the installer is a problem for 10.6) and transferred the Roxio Jam Preferences, and Roxio Toast Preferences and com.roxio.Jam.plist and com.roxio.Toast.plist from the G4 /Users/me/Library/Preferences files to the MacPro /Users/me/Library/Preferences.

Are you transferring all those things from the last computer Toast and Jam were working on?

No it's the last generation. It's about two months old. My MacPro is about a month old.

And again, I just copied over the apps from the Application folder of the old G4 into the Application folder of the new MacPro and MBP.

I did not use an installer (I think the installer is a problem for 10.6) and transferred the Roxio Jam Preferences, and Roxio Toast Preferences and com.roxio.Jam.plist and com.roxio.Toast.plist from the G4 /Users/me/Library/Preferences files to the MacPro /Users/me/Library/Preferences.

Are you transferring all those things from the last computer Toast and Jam were working on?

Yes, I'll recap the sequence so far to neaten things up:

1) Migration Assistant took everything over the first time from my original 10.5.8 hard drive.)

2) I next re-copied T&J apps & plist files manually from same 10.5.8 drive to no avail

3) Copied again from a different back up drive using the dmg file for Jam and copying Toast + related plist files.

There is no Roxio folder to transfer over within any of the app. support folders of my drives. The only other Roxio related things I find on my drives are Roxio Converted Items folder (all empty,) a Roxio Peak Freq. folder and a tif file of their logo.

Yes, I'll recap the sequence so far to neaten things up:

1) Migration Assistant took everything over the first time from my original 10.5.8 hard drive.)

2) I next re-copied T&J apps & plist files manually from same 10.5.8 drive to no avail

3) Copied again from a different back up drive using the dmg file for Jam and copying Toast + related plist files.

There is no Roxio folder to transfer over within any of the app. support folders of my drives. The only other Roxio related things I find on my drives are Roxio Converted Items folder (all empty,) a Roxio Peak Freq. folder and a tif file of their logo.

Well following along at home, it seems you have not transferred over two of the preferences that I listed. Those being Roxio Jam Preferences and Roxio Toast Preferences. Those are IN ADDITION to the .plist files and are located in user/you/Library/Preferences.

Perry/Chicago

Well following along at home, it seems you have not transferred over two of the preferences that I listed. Those being Roxio Jam Preferences and Roxio Toast Preferences. Those are IN ADDITION to the .plist files and are located in user/you/Library/Preferences.

Perry/Chicago

OK, I found those - I was looking for separate folders before. I copied them over from my back-up drive (the format of these say 'Microsoft Excel preferences') but both programs still bounce in the dock and don't launch. Not sure what to do next but I may start the whole process over again just to be sure.

OK, I found those - I was looking for separate folders before. I copied them over from my back-up drive (the format of these say 'Microsoft Excel preferences') but both programs still bounce in the dock and don't launch. Not sure what to do next but I may start the whole process over again just to be sure.

Yes, I would say. start again. I have seen odd files with no parent be interpreted as Excel files before.

Yes, I would say. start again. I have seen odd files with no parent be interpreted as Excel files before.

Well, I trashed everything on my new MBP and went back to my Powerbook instead of the hard drive from my old MBP (I no longer have the MBP itself.) Via File-Sharing, I copied the preferences and plists over and reinstalled Jam. The preferences are still coming over in Excel format. I have another Intel Mac source that I will try to copy direct from tomorrow and see if the preferences transfer properly.

UPDATE: As a quick test, I transferred the Jam preferences from an Intel iMac to the MBP drop box via File-Sharing. Within the iMac Preferences folder, the file format is indicated as "Microsoft Entourage Preferences" and this format seemingly made the transition to the MBP drop box following the transfer as observed while looking at the duplicated files via the iMac.

However, when I went over to the MBP and before I moved the files from the drop box, I noted the format reads "Microsoft Excel preferences" again. So, no luck with this, it seems that some type of conversion is happening between the 2 machines. Any ideas?

Edited by JAM MASTER

can anyone please help me. I can't get jam to work with 10.6.2. I'm quite certain I have rosetta installed. Anytime I click on the jam icon nothing happens. I even downloaded a new copy, but I'm not sure where to install the folder contents. Any help getting Jam 6 to work again would be greatly appreciated! thank you

can anyone please help me. I can't get jam to work with 10.6.2. I'm quite certain I have rosetta installed. Anytime I click on the jam icon nothing happens. I even downloaded a new copy, but I'm not sure where to install the folder contents. Any help getting Jam 6 to work again would be greatly appreciated! thank you

If you read the posts above you will see how I got it to successfully work.

In as far as I can tell, unless you have a previously installed version, it will not load.

If you do, look for your Jam and Roxio preferences in your ~user/library/preferences folder of the last computer it was installed upon, and transfer them to the 10.6.2 machine to the same place. Drag the app from the Applications folder from the old to the new.

Once I did that Jam (5 in my case) worked 100% perfect and I use it daily on a MacPro 3.33 running 10.6.2 and all of my previous Jam files open with all formatting intact.

Hope that helps . . .

Perry/Chicago

Are you trying this on one of the new 2010 MBPs? That's what I am having the issue on - it's running 10.6.3 (pre-installed) and I believe it's either the OS or the machine that has something to do with Jam not working.

As I indicated above, I've tried a few methods to get it to work, the most recent was connecting my 2010 MBP in Target mode to an Intel iMac (successfully running Jam on 10.5.8) and installing Jam again via the original dmg file. Installation was successful but Jam still won't launch - it just bounces in the dock for a few seconds and quits. The .plist files are there & where they belong and seem to be proper format but the Roxio Jam Preferences file differs in that it appears as a Microsoft Excel file on the 2010 MBP as opposed to a Microsoft Entourage file on the iMac (which must be the correct format.) I also tried copying the existing iMac Jam + prefs. with the same results.

If it's 10.6.3 that's creating this change, I've considered downgrading back to 10.5.8. but I'm not yet sure that these new MBPs can revert and run 10.5.8. I know the generation of MBPs prior to the April 2010 upgrades can and I guess Jam works fine on them. So, if the 2010 MBPs will run 10.5.8, then, in theory, Jam should work fine. However, if it turns out to be the processor instead that has created this situation, then I seem to be out of luck.

This is one of the few programs that wouldn't work when I migrated over and I'm really disappointed because I've used it constantly for years. My research continues and hopefully someone here can help.

thanks for your response. yes, if I knew it would no longer work with 10.6 I would have never upgraded.

I'm actually using it on a mac pro dual core intel.. I can't even find an original disk image to install it from. the one I downloaded didn't solve the problem. It does have a folder with the package contents but I'm not sure where they go. do you happen to know?

The contents are:

info.plist

macos folder - cddbcarbon.lib, jam, rox.dat

pkginfo

plugins folder

resources

When I click the image it doesn't bounce, it acts like it will open and nothing happens.. you think someone from Roxio would actually chime in and help us.. why get rid of Jam anyways..

thanks for your response. yes, if I knew it would no longer work with 10.6 I would have never upgraded.

I'm actually using it on a mac pro dual core intel.. I can't even find an original disk image to install it from. the one I downloaded didn't solve the problem. It does have a folder with the package contents but I'm not sure where they go. do you happen to know?

The contents are:

info.plist

pkginfo

plugins folder

resources

When I click the image it doesn't bounce, it acts like it will open and nothing happens.. you think someone from Roxio would actually chime in and help us.. why get rid of Jam anyways..

When Roxio moved Jam to the "Legacy Mac Products" list they stopped supporting it so don't expect them to chime in. From what I've read here the installer won't work with Snow Leopard (nor maybe with Leopard, either). What works, as stated previously, is using a pre-existing installation. This can be copied from an older computer where you originally installed Jam when you purchased it or from a backup from that Mac. If Jam was installed and working prior to upgrading your OS then it should still be working after the upgrade. If none of that is available to you, find a Mac with an earlier OS (or install an earlier OS to another hard drive on a Mac capable of running the earlier OS) and run the installer on that. Then copy over that installation.

The reason Roxio dropped Jam is they ported most of its features to Toast 8 and later. They probably didn't think a $99 application just to burn audio CDs was going to sell when Toast can do that and more. Some Jam users are unhappy that some things didn't get ported to Toast and so they continue to use Jam for their professional audio CD mastering. The only thing not still working is the installer.

The contents are:

info.plist

pkginfo

plugins folder

resources

I believe these are critical and belong in the ~user/library/preferences:

com.roxio.Jam.plist (info lists this as Document)

Roxio Jam Preferences (info lists this as Microsoft Graph preferences)

You didn't mention either of these, and I can tell from the date they were last modified on my machine, they are "live" Jam files.

I am running it on a brand new Quad Core MacPro 3.33 so it's not a generational issue you are having.

As both I and Tsantee have said, the original .dmg file and installer are what is standing in your way.

Again, I grabbed the app right out of the Application folder of my old G4, and then grabbed and dragged over the two preference files (actually I dragged over all things Roxio as I was transferring Toast as well) and not only did both Toast and Jam work normally. all my previous Jam files opened properly, all formatting intact.

You can do this. It will work. I had so much anxiety before I got my MacPro over this very issue. And the sense of relief when it worked was overwhelming.

Check and re-check what we have wrote. Look for those prefs I mention that you didn't list. It will work on an Intel Machine with 10.6

Perry/Chicago

Thanks for much for your help. I really appreciate the info. Jam was working prior to upgrading. I'm not sure what happened to it. I may have a copy saved on a DVD somewhere. My G4 is dead so I have no way to grab it off of there :(

Nevertheless, I will go back and check everything again. Hopefully I can get it work. I prefer Jam as well for burning Red Book Standard CD's.

Thanks!

Well, I just tried copying Toast & Jam over from an old G4 Powerbook connected via Target mode (last time I did this was via file sharing.)

The apps and the .plist and preference files seem to match the same format as on the PB but the apps still just bounce in dock and don't launch. I'm becoming convinced that this has to do w/ my MBP.

I've also had a confirmation that the 2010 MBPs won't boot or run Leopard so going back to 10.5.9 is not an option.

Well, I just tried copying Toast & Jam over from an old G4 Powerbook connected via Target mode (last time I did this was via file sharing.)

The apps and the .plist and preference files seem to match the same format as on the PB but the apps still just bounce in dock and don't launch. I'm becoming convinced that this has to do w/ my MBP.

I've also had a confirmation that the 2010 MBPs won't boot or run Leopard so going back to 10.5.9 is not an option.

Are the two files I mention above:

com.roxio.Jam.plist

Roxio Jam Preferences

com.roxio.Toast.plist if you are trying to transfer Toast

in ~/user/library/preferences ?

I also find com.roxio.Jam.plist in the Mac Hard Drive/Library/preference (with a modified date three days ago, so obviously still active.)and a Roxio folder in Application Support on the Library as well on my MacPro. The Application Support Roxio folder however I think was created when I installed Toast 10.

Perry/Chicago

Are the two files I mention above:

com.roxio.Jam.plist

Roxio Jam Preferences

com.roxio.Toast.plist if you are trying to transfer Toast

in ~/user/library/preferences ?

I also find com.roxio.Jam.plist in the Mac Hard Drive/Library/preference (with a modified date three days ago, so obviously still active.)and a Roxio folder in Application Support on the Library as well on my MacPro. The Application Support Roxio folder however I think was created when I installed Toast 10.

Perry/Chicago

Yes, I also transferred Toast 6 and related 4 files are in the ~/user/library/preferences folder but I don't find a com.roxio.Jam.plist in the Mac Hard Drive/Library/preference folder.

(I also find duplicates of the T&J .plists & Preference files in the User Preference folder of a Tech-Tools Pro E-Drive on the same PB but won't be moving those over.)

Edited by JAM MASTER

SOLVED!

Turns out I did not have Jam updated to version 6.0.3 and once I did that, no problems.

Now be sure to save to disc (or somewhere permanent and safe) a copy of the app and all the associated prefs, as going forward, they will be your future installer . . .