dbx166

Running Jam on an Intel "Snow Leopard" machine

Question

I am happily running Jam 5 on a G4 933, but a new Mac Pro is in my future.

Now a friend informs me that Jam will not run on 10.6. Is this true?

I have 100's of "shows" that have been created in Jam and 100's more in the future.

I didn't make the jump to Jam 6 as it stripped all the formatting of "shows" done in Jam 5, but Jam 5 never gave me a spec of trouble so it was a no brainer, although I do have Jam 6 on premise.

Now, I know that many of Jam's feature were rolled into Toast, but there is just no way to justify using Toast as a substitute. And readers of this forum need no convincing of that, no do I need to explain.

My question is can Jam work, or be made to work on an Intel Mac Pro running 10.6. ?

If the answer is no, my work around will be to keep the G4 as my Jam machine, but that sure clouds the excitement of a new slamming 3.3ghz Mac Pro.

All responses or hypothesis welcome, as this is a life changing matter . . .

Perry/Chicago

64 answers to this question

SOLVED!

Turns out I did not have Jam updated to version 6.0.3 and once I did that, no problems.

Boom! I was following this thread for a while, and nothing worked. Updating Jam from 6.0.1 to 6.0.3 solved everything.

I am successfully opening old Jam projects on a MacPro with Snow Leopard 10.6.8!

<!--quoteo(post=331746:date=Jun 16 2010, 06:21 AM:name=JAM MASTER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAM MASTER @ Jun 16 2010, 06:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SOLVED!

Turns out I did not have Jam updated to version 6.0.3 and once I did that, no problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now be sure to save to disc (or somewhere permanent and safe) a copy of the app and all the associated prefs, as going forward, they will be your future installer . . .

How do you install Jam 6.0.3 if it cannot be installed on a Snow Leopard machine? Do you install it on another machine with an earlier OS, and then transfer files to the Snow Leopard machine without actually doing an installation? I have 6.0.1 installed and have downloaded 6.0.3, but when I go to drop it over the 6.0.1, I get an error message that Jam unexpectedly quit.

Thanks!

Gina

How do you install Jam 6.0.3 if it cannot be installed on a Snow Leopard machine? Do you install it on another machine with an earlier OS, and then transfer files to the Snow Leopard machine without actually doing an installation? I have 6.0.1 installed and have downloaded 6.0.3, but when I go to drop it over the 6.0.1, I get an error message that Jam unexpectedly quit.

Thanks!

Gina

Right. Jam needs to be installed on an older Mac. Launch it after installing to enter all the registration information. Then quit Jam and copy its folder to the new Mac. It should work. However, Jam will not work in OS 10.7 (Lion).

Right. Jam needs to be installed on an older Mac. Launch it after installing to enter all the registration information. Then quit Jam and copy its folder to the new Mac. It should work. However, Jam will not work in OS 10.7 (Lion).

Thanks! I will give it a try. I'll have to find the disc or whatever I used to install Jam. I looked on the old Mac, and it still has 2.5, so I must have done some updating since then. I will let you know how it goes.

Gina

Thank God for this thread! I had upgraded my Mac OS from 10.4 to 10.6.8 and my trusty old Jam 6.0.1 stopped working -- wouldn't even launch. A quick upgrade to Jam 6.0.3 and all is well! I will probably start using Toast exclusively for CDs now, since Jam won't work at all under OS 10.7, but at least now I can finish off a few projects that were sitting on my hard drive. Whew!

Hey Everyone,

I've been reading through this thread, and either I've missed something, or Jam 6 simply does not work with 10.6.8.

I just bought an Apple-refurbished 2010 Mini that's running 10.6.8 (with Rosetta installed) and it has both Quicktime 10.0 and 7.6.6 installed, and I'm striking out with getting Jam 6 to launch. I installed it directly from my old Toast 6/Jam installer CD following the Read Me's instructions (copy Roxio Jam 6 folder to Applications folder, then click on icon to launch Jam 6 app), but no luck. It just bounces and then quits. Sadly, I threw out my ancient system back-ups with Jam 5, so going that route is not an option.

Do I need to delete (or at least relocate) Quicktime 10? Or, is there another trick to try? I do have the hard drive from my old computer, so if there are specific files I need to copy from the System or User folders onot the new computer they are available to me.

Finally, if 10.6.8 simply will not work with Jam 6, can anyone share their opinions on Toast 11 for Mac? The reviews on amazon are pretty brutal, but all I care about is being able to adjust gain when creating audio CDs. Being able to open old Jam files would be a big plus, but it's not a total deal breaker.

Any info, advise or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Edited by 132bpm

Hey Everyone,

I've been reading through this thread, and either I've missed something, or Jam 6 simply does not work with 10.6.8.

I just bought an Apple-refurbished 2010 Mini that's running 10.6.8 (with Rosetta installed) and it has both Quicktime 10.0 and 7.6.6 installed, and I'm striking out with getting Jam 6 to launch. I installed it directly from my old Toast 6/Jam installer CD following the Read Me's instructions (copy Roxio Jam 6 folder to Applications folder, then click on icon to launch Jam 6 app), but no luck. It just bounces and then quits. Sadly, I threw out my ancient system back-ups with Jam 5, so going that route is not an option.

Do I need to delete (or at least relocate) Quicktime 10? Or, is there another trick to try? I do have the hard drive from my old computer, so if there are specific files I need to copy from the System or User folders onot the new computer they are available to me.

Finally, if 10.6.8 simply will not work with Jam 6, can anyone share their opinions on Toast 11 for Mac? The reviews on amazon are pretty brutal, but all I care about is being able to adjust gain when creating audio CDs. Being able to open old Jam files would be a big plus, but it's not a total deal breaker.

Any info, advise or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Jam cannot be installed from its disc on your Mac. It needs to be installed on a Mac running OS 10.5.x (or maybe earlier) and then copied from that Mac to the Mac running 10.6.x. It doesn't work at all in Lion. If you don't have a backup from an earlier installation that you can copy to the new Mac you need to find a Mac running an older OS to run the installer. However, that likely won't have any of the bug-fixing updates to Jam which is why copying over a long-ago installed copy that got updated is the best way to go.

Given your needs I'd forget about Jam and get Toast 11. The Audio CD portion of Toast 11 works very well and it includes nearly all the Jam features plus some that aren't in Jam. There is a normalize option for leveling audio among multiple tracks and you can customize the gain on a track-by-track basis. There are bugs in all versions of Toast that frustrate some users with certain things they are trying to do and Roxio is notoriously slow in fixing those (if ever) so some criticisms are warranted. Still, what it does correctly is pretty amazing and well worth it in my opinion. I believe you'll find Toast 11 to be very good at what you want to do.

Jam cannot be installed from its disc on your Mac. It needs to be installed on a Mac running OS 10.5.x (or maybe earlier) and then copied from that Mac to the Mac running 10.6.x. It doesn't work at all in Lion. If you don't have a backup from an earlier installation that you can copy to the new Mac you need to find a Mac running an older OS to run the installer. However, that likely won't have any of the bug-fixing updates to Jam which is why copying over a long-ago installed copy that got updated is the best way to go.

Tsantee,

I have the hard drive from my dead computer, and it was running 10.5.x. I've found only "Jam 6.app" in the Applications folder and "Adaptec Jam Preferences" in oldharddrive > System Folder > Preferences. Copying the app into the Applications folder is straight forward enough, but my new computer doesn't have a folder called "System Folder", just one called "System" with a subfolder called PreferencePanes, and none of the files inside that folder look like an old prefs file. I tried placing "Adaptec Jam Preferences" inside newcomputer > Users > myname > Library > Preferences but still no luck. Is there someplace else I need to put the "Adaptec Jam Preferences" file? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again!

Tsantee,

I have the hard drive from my dead computer, and it was running 10.5.x. I've found only "Jam 6.app" in the Applications folder and "Adaptec Jam Preferences" in oldharddrive > System Folder > Preferences. Copying the app into the Applications folder is straight forward enough, but my new computer doesn't have a folder called "System Folder", just one called "System" with a subfolder called PreferencePanes, and none of the files inside that folder look like an old prefs file. I tried placing "Adaptec Jam Preferences" inside newcomputer > Users > myname > Library > Preferences but still no luck. Is there someplace else I need to put the "Adaptec Jam Preferences" file? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again!

If your new Mac is running Lion then you can't use Jam. But if it is running an earlier OSX version then you're on the correct path. You need to transfer over the Jam application and you need to transfer the Jam preference files (unless you still have your registration key info and can enter that in the Jam setup). If you registered Jam on Roxio's site your registration key should be on your user registration page here at roxio.com.

The Jam preferences that I have are com.roxio.jam.plist (which is created the first time Jam is launched) and the Roxio Jam Preferences file that I think contains the registration info. Adaptec sold Jam before it was purchased by Roxio, so that may be the reason yours is different than mine. My Jam is version 6.0.3. I thought all versions of Jam 6 came from Roxio but I may be mistaken.

Your user library should be easy to locate in the Finder as long as you're not running Lion. Just select your user name in the left column of a Finder window and the Library folder should appear in the list. Apple hid this in Lion so users have to hold down the Option key while selecting the Go menu in the Finder for the User Library to appear in the menu. But as I noted, Jam is a powerpc app so it requires Rosetta to run on Intel Macs and Apple dropped support for Resetta in Lion.

Edited by tsantee

Tsantee,

Thanks for the tip in the "com.roxio.Jam.plist" file, but still no luck. (My file "Adaptec Jam Preferences" must be from Jam 5.) I've placed the app in the Applications file and com.roxio.Jam.plist in the same folder path as the old computer (Users > myname > Library > Preferences > com.roxio.Jam.plist), but it just bounces and then stops. I then moved com.roxio.Jam.plist to Computername > Library > Preferences, but no go. :-/

FYI, it's Jam version 6.0.1, and my new computer is running 10.6.8 with Rosetta (so I can run my ancient-but-expensive PowerPC-based programs).

Unless there's one last Hail Mary trick, it looks like I'll have to throw in the towel. This is the only program I'd have to spend money on to get things set up (more or less), so I guess I shouldn't be too upset.

Thanks again.

Edited by 132bpm

The answer to running Jam 6 on an Intel Mac Pro (Nehalem 2009-2012) is YES it does work.

Now for the details.

Step 1.

You MUST have Snow Leopard (any version) installed with Rosetta.

Step 2.

Create a Folder named "Roxio Jam 6" in your Applications folder.

I have Jam 6 on factory CD installer. (also have valid serial / activation numbers)

I could NOT get Jam 6 to run despite no errors or troubles installing.

Jam 6 would try to launch but nothing would happen.

I am not a software geek but I do have a good idea why it would not work.

Previous versions of Jam required a disc burner that was SCSI or ATA/IDE/ATAPI. (optionally firewire)

Intel Macs have SATA interfaced disc burners.

Eventually I stumbled on to a solution that is very simple.

Step 3.

Download Jam 6.0.3 updater.

Install Jam 6 using that updater. (drag into the Roxio Jam 6 folder you created)

Do not use Jam 6.0.0. or 6.0.1.

When I tried this, everything works as expected.

I have not tried "ALL" features and processes but I did use Jam 6.0.3 to burn a CD without error or flaw.

No surprise.... Jam 6 reports "unknown interface" with all my installed disc burners. (I have both DVD and Blu Ray optical drives)

Regardless of this error everything worked.

I was even able to use files from OS9 Adaptec Jam 4.

I am not certain if this makes any difference but it should be noted.

I have either Toast 9 Titanium or Toast 10 Titanium installed PRIOR to Jam 6 installation.

It IS possible that the Toast drivers allow or enable Jam 6 to function properly with SATA optical drives.

These drivers "may" be required for Jam 6.0.3 to function properly. (I don't know for certain)

What I can attest to is that Jam 6 does function on a Nehalem Mac Pro running any version of Snow Leopard with Rosetta installed.

I am running OSX 10.6.8 on Nehalem Mac Pro 2009, 2010, 2012.

(actually I am running 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11 all on separate hard drives or separate partitions on Nehalem Mac Pros, this is achieved through use of compatible video cards otherwise you are restricted to 10.8 and above, best options for multiple OSX compatibility from 10.5+ ARE.... NVidia Quadro FX 4800, NVidia GT 120, Radeon 4870,.... best for 10.6+ IS Radeon 5870, NVidia Quadro FX 4800, and Quadro 4000 as well as all others mentioned.... among them all.... the NVidia Quadro FX 4800 is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife video card with only one downside, its output is DVI ONLY, cannot be used with an Apple DisplayPort monitor.... note that OSX 10.5 on Nehalem Mac Pro requires an Apple (non retail) installer disc AND either the Radeon 4870 or Nvidia GT 120 video card or it cannot be installed, once updated to 10.5.8 you can upgrade the video card to NVidia Quadro FX 4800,.... Radeon 5770, 5870 and Quadro 4000 are incompatible with 10.5.... NVidia Quadro K5000, the best of the best "workstation" video cards, requires 10.8 or above)

CRITICAL NOTE:

You CANNOT install Snow Leopard on a Nehalem Mac Pro with a retail Snow Leopard (10.6.3) installation disc.

It is impossible even if you transfer Snow Leopard from a non Nehalem Mac Pro it will Not function "fully" or entirely properly.

The reason is due to Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost only available on Nehalem Mac Pro hardware.

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail installer does Not contain the correct system code and thus, cannot be used to install.

The installation of Snow Leopard on a Nehalem Mac Pro requires an Apple Factory (non retail) disc that is OSX 10.6.4 only available directly from Apple.

This non retail factory disc has the proper Nehalem version of Rosetta on it but it does Not automatically install.

Installation of Rosetta is an Optional Install.

(all Snow Leopard Rosetta installs are Optional Installs, none are automatic)

Edited by Suhr

You do realize the last post on this forum was 4 years ago, exactly.

Thanks anyway, somebody may pop in.

Do you realize that I have been trying to update over 3 million files from OS9 PPC for the last 4 years?

I am finally nearing completion.

Jam files were part of that collection that are not Intel compatible or updatable.

The majority have finally been updated / converted but virtually all of my CAD / CAM files remain incompatible with all versions of OSX except 10.5 and 10.6.

Needless to say.... Jam files were extremely low on the priority list.

In June 2015, I finally retired all my previous Macs. (still running by the way)

Mac Plus, Mac SE, PowerPC 7500, PowerMac G4's, and PowerMac G5's.

Millions of files takes years to update / convert and a huge amount of money to purchase the Intel Mac Pro compatible applications.

(many compatible applications simply do not exist)

Perhaps if my computer uses were for nothing but emails and blogs and social site nonsense, I would not have these troubles.

Trouble is.... I use a computer for the purposes it was originally designed for. (not originally designed for the internet)

Here I documented my efforts with regard to Jam files.

Meanwhile every version of OSX past 10.6 has been systematically degraded and deprecated and quite frankly, infused with bugs.

Each new version of OSX is an upgrade in internet performance and a downgrade in computing capability.

Most notably, both Finder and Spotlight are severely broken to the point of being virtually useless and Disk Utility has now been profoundly downgraded in OSX 10.11 Smell Crapagain.

I hope my information can help somebody else in a similar situation.

Is it 4 years too late????

Not at all. (even if this helps only one person)