61 replies to this topic

#1 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

I am happily running Jam 5 on a G4 933, but a new Mac Pro is in my future.
Now a friend informs me that Jam will not run on 10.6. Is this true?
I have 100's of "shows" that have been created in Jam and 100's more in the future.
I didn't make the jump to Jam 6 as it stripped all the formatting of "shows" done in Jam 5, but Jam 5 never gave me a spec of trouble so it was a no brainer, although I do have Jam 6 on premise.

Now, I know that many of Jam's feature were rolled into Toast, but there is just no way to justify using Toast as a substitute. And readers of this forum need no convincing of that, no do I need to explain.
My question is can Jam work, or be made to work on an Intel Mac Pro running 10.6. ?
If the answer is no, my work around will be to keep the G4 as my Jam machine, but that sure clouds the excitement of a new slamming 3.3ghz Mac Pro.
All responses or hypothesis welcome, as this is a life changing matter . . .

Perry/Chicago

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,225 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:56 PM

I have Jam 6 so I have no way to test Jam 5's performance on a new Mac with 10.6. It may make sense to install QuickTime 7 on the new Mac in case that could help compatibility. Given how little activity there is in the Jam forum I expect you won't know the answer to your question until you try it.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Dec 15 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have Jam 6 so I have no way to test Jam 5's performance on a new Mac with 10.6. It may make sense to install QuickTime 7 on the new Mac in case that could help compatibility. Given how little activity there is in the Jam forum I expect you won't know the answer to your question until you try it.

I was hoping I would get the eye of an old dog like yourself (and I) :-) I didn't really know where I else I might post the question.

I do have Jam 6, but you didn't mention whether you have successfully installed that using 10.6.
I would have no problem using Jam 6 under the circumstances if it would work.

So are you in fact, running Jam 6 in 10.6 or have attempted it?
I am currently running QT 7.6.4 (518.35) on the G4 which is the latest at least for a PowerMac.
Would that be a downgrade as to what comes stock on the new Intel/10.6 machines?

Perry/Chicago

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,225 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Dec 16 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was hoping I would get the eye of an old dog like yourself (and I) :-) I didn't really know where I else I might post the question.

I do have Jam 6, but you didn't mention whether you have successfully installed that using 10.6.
I would have no problem using Jam 6 under the circumstances if it would work.

So are you in fact, running Jam 6 in 10.6 or have attempted it?
I am currently running QT 7.6.4 (518.35) on the G4 which is the latest at least for a PowerMac.
Would that be a downgrade as to what comes stock on the new Intel/10.6 machines?

Perry/Chicago

I've done this much. It's on my new iMac and it launches. I'll try to find time in the next couple days to give it a go.

OS 10.6 uses a new version of QuickTime that adds some things but deletes some things compared with QuickTime 7. If you have QuickTime Pro, then that requires QuickTime 7. There is an option to install QuickTime 7 in addition to the new QuickTime on your system install disc. It gets installed in the Utilities folder. I haven't done that yet. I've only had the new iMac for a week.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Dec 16 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've done this much. It's on my new iMac and it launches. I'll try to find time in the next couple days to give it a go.

OS 10.6 uses a new version of QuickTime that adds some things but deletes some things compared with QuickTime 7. If you have QuickTime Pro, then that requires QuickTime 7. There is an option to install QuickTime 7 in addition to the new QuickTime on your system install disc. It gets installed in the Utilities folder. I haven't done that yet. I've only had the new iMac for a week.

Thanks.
I'll wait with bated breath with your reply as obviously, I can't check myself.
But it would make me a lot happier knowing it will work on 10.6 before I pull the trigger . . .

Perry/Chicago

#6 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,225 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Dec 16 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks.
I'll wait with bated breath with your reply as obviously, I can't check myself.
But it would make me a lot happier knowing it will work on 10.6 before I pull the trigger . . .

Perry/Chicago

I've done a small test. I dragged four tracks from an audio CD to Jam 6 which initiated their extraction from the CD. I then changed the gaps to 0 seconds and applied a different crossfade to each track. Next, I burned a new audio CD. It all worked fine. I still haven't installed QuickTime 7 on my Mac so this is as the new iMac shipped with 10.6.2. Obviously I didn't test everything but my sense is Jam 6 works with OS 10.6.2.

#7 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Dec 18 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've done a small test. I dragged four tracks from an audio CD to Jam 6 which initiated their extraction from the CD. I then changed the gaps to 0 seconds and applied a different crossfade to each track. Next, I burned a new audio CD. It all worked fine. I still haven't installed QuickTime 7 on my Mac so this is as the new iMac shipped with 10.6.2. Obviously I didn't test everything but my sense is Jam 6 works with OS 10.6.2.

Fabulous news ! Thanks so much for testing Tsantee.
A friend posted this same query at MacRumors and a response was that perhaps Rosetta had not been installed when he did his upgrade to 10.6 from 10.5. The person also added that when he tried the install of Jam 6, he (my friend) should have been prompted by the OS to whether or not he wanted to install Rosetta on the machine after attempting a non-native installation..
As it stands right now, he just gets the bouncing icon when he tries to install.
Does the Rosetta installation or lack thereof, seem like it could be a culprit? Is it an option on install that could have been missed and can be applied?

Perry/Chicago

#8 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,225 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Dec 18 2009, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fabulous news ! Thanks so much for testing Tsantee.
A friend posted this same query at MacRumors and a response was that perhaps Rosetta had not been installed when he did his upgrade to 10.6 from 10.5. The person also added that when he tried the install of Jam 6, he (my friend) should have been prompted by the OS to whether or not he wanted to install Rosetta on the machine after attempting a non-native installation..
As it stands right now, he just gets the bouncing icon when he tries to install.
Does the Rosetta installation or lack thereof, seem like it could be a culprit? Is it an option on install that could have been missed and can be applied?

Perry/Chicago

Needing Rosetta makes sense because Jam 6 is a PowerPC app only. The first day I used my new iMac I chose Software Update and a window appeared stating that Software Update required Rosetta and asked if I wanted to install it. While it makes no sense that Software Update requires Rosetta I do think I installed it. I don't how to determine if it is present or not.

As for installing Jam I simply dragged a copy that was installed on my G5 iMac rather than copy from an install disc image or disc.

#9 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Dec 18 2009, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Needing Rosetta makes sense because Jam 6 is a PowerPC app only. The first day I used my new iMac I chose Software Update and a window appeared stating that Software Update required Rosetta and asked if I wanted to install it. While it makes no sense that Software Update requires Rosetta I do think I installed it. I don't how to determine if it is present or not.

As for installing Jam I simply dragged a copy that was installed on my G5 iMac rather than copy from an install disc image or disc.

Thanks for that. I know it is PowerPC but it was the Intel chip that had me scared.
My friend is happy to boot into Windows and use SoundForge at this point, which is way too much heavy lifting compared to Jam for me.
I'll look forward to giving it a shot when I get a MacPro very soon.

Thanks again for your help.

Perry/Chicago

#10 seanmurd

seanmurd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:59 AM

I don't know if this helps you, but I've been running Jam 6 on an Intel iMac for almost a year, and it works fine. A couple of little bugs (it seems to forget the name of your saved CD file, but operationally it works fine. Also, I don't know about EVERY Jam feature, but I finally upgraded Toast Titanium to version 9, and it SEEMS to have all the Jam capability I need to make audio CDs. The only drawback is that it won't open a .disc file created in Jam, so it's not backwards compatible with Jam, even though TT9 also saves CD files as ".disc" files. I'll stay with Jam as long as possible, but I may decide to start making my CDs with TT9 so I won't be completely orphaned in the future. (Toast Titanium 10 SEEMS to remove the ability to adjust the "gain" on your individual CD tracks -- based on the web video -- and that would be a dealbreaker for me.)

Sean Murdock

#11 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,225 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (seanmurd @ Jan 11 2010, 05:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Toast Titanium 10 SEEMS to remove the ability to adjust the "gain" on your individual CD tracks -- based on the web video -- and that would be a dealbreaker for me.)

Sean Murdock

The gains control is present in Toast 10. Maybe the video shows the window without the "advanced audio mastering settings" enabled in Toast preferences.

#12 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (seanmurd @ Jan 11 2010, 05:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if this helps you, but I've been running Jam 6 on an Intel iMac for almost a year, and it works fine. A couple of little bugs (it seems to forget the name of your saved CD file, but operationally it works fine. Also, I don't know about EVERY Jam feature, but I finally upgraded Toast Titanium to version 9, and it SEEMS to have all the Jam capability I need to make audio CDs. The only drawback is that it won't open a .disc file created in Jam, so it's not backwards compatible with Jam, even though TT9 also saves CD files as ".disc" files. I'll stay with Jam as long as possible, but I may decide to start making my CDs with TT9 so I won't be completely orphaned in the future. (Toast Titanium 10 SEEMS to remove the ability to adjust the "gain" on your individual CD tracks -- based on the web video -- and that would be a dealbreaker for me.)

Sean Murdock

When saving as a disc image using Jam 5, the default setting (as I see no preference to change) is a Sound Designer II file (.sd2f)
Is the default setting in Jam 6 ".disc" and/or is there a preference to save the disc image as an .sd2f file?
In addition, the .sd2f files transfer nicely to iTunes where a plethora of things can be done, the least of which, converting to an mp3 file and adding additional tags, playlists and photos or album art.
If possible that may solve your Toast 9 issue.

After further questioning of individuals who use Jam on more recent computers, I have a theory that it is the Vice installer that is hanging up Jam 5 on Snow Leopard. Jam 6 bypasses the installer and it is simply a "drag the app" to the Application folder. Upon receiving a new machine, I intend to drag my Jam 5 app from the G4, clicking it and hoping it asks for a serial number when launched. This is untested and only a theory.

Again my concern is upgrading to Jam 6 and losing the formatting in the 100's of Jam 5 built shows (loss of level changes and crossfades.) If anyone has a workaround for that issue, I will happily embrace Jam 6 as I do like the upgraded features. Just hate putting to bed permanently all those archived shows, although they are all saved as .sd2f files and can be burnt in Toast, they will forever be un-alterable or need to be "re-worked" in Jam 6.

Perry/Chicago

#13 seanmurd

seanmurd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Jan 11 2010, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The gains control is present in Toast 10. Maybe the video shows the window without the "advanced audio mastering settings" enabled in Toast preferences.

That would seem to be the explanation. Thanks!

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Jan 11 2010, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When saving as a disc image using Jam 5, the default setting (as I see no preference to change) is a Sound Designer II file (.sd2f)
Is the default setting in Jam 6 ".disc" and/or is there a preference to save the disc image as an .sd2f file?
In addition, the .sd2f files transfer nicely to iTunes where a plethora of things can be done, the least of which, converting to an mp3 file and adding additional tags, playlists and photos or album art.
If possible that may solve your Toast 9 issue.

After further questioning of individuals who use Jam on more recent computers, I have a theory that it is the Vice installer that is hanging up Jam 5 on Snow Leopard. Jam 6 bypasses the installer and it is simply a "drag the app" to the Application folder. Upon receiving a new machine, I intend to drag my Jam 5 app from the G4, clicking it and hoping it asks for a serial number when launched. This is untested and only a theory.

Again my concern is upgrading to Jam 6 and losing the formatting in the 100's of Jam 5 built shows (loss of level changes and crossfades.) If anyone has a workaround for that issue, I will happily embrace Jam 6 as I do like the upgraded features. Just hate putting to bed permanently all those archived shows, although they are all saved as .sd2f files and can be burnt in Toast, they will forever be un-alterable or need to be "re-worked" in Jam 6.

Perry/Chicago

I haven't saved anything as a Sound Designer 2 file since the old days of Jam on Adaptec, so I can't answer that question. As for losing the formatting when upgrading to Jam 6 -- the big question is "When did Jam overhaul the crossfade function?" Was that Jam 5 or 6? I don't think I ever owned Jam 5 -- I jumped right from Adaptec Jam 2.6.2 to Roxio Jam 6 -- but I do know that I lost all the crossfades on my 2.6.2 files because of the new method of crossfading. Other things were retained (like the gains), but I had a lot of heavily-crossfaded tracks, so all that work would have to be re-done.

#14 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (seanmurd @ Jan 11 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't saved anything as a Sound Designer 2 file since the old days of Jam on Adaptec, so I can't answer that question. As for losing the formatting when upgrading to Jam 6 -- the big question is "When did Jam overhaul the crossfade function?" Was that Jam 5 or 6? I don't think I ever owned Jam 5 -- I jumped right from Adaptec Jam 2.6.2 to Roxio Jam 6 -- but I do know that I lost all the crossfades on my 2.6.2 files because of the new method of crossfading. Other things were retained (like the gains), but I had a lot of heavily-crossfaded tracks, so all that work would have to be re-done.

My guess it must have been in Jam 6 as my first go around with Jam was v. 5. and since all my formatting was breaking in Jam 6, that seems the culprit for a changed crossfade function. Now that I think about it, the crossfade gui did look a bit different in v. 6.

I have used Jam 6 slightly, but after seeing all my old shows lose all that formatting, I am sure I never made it to the save "anything" point to look for saving options. So are you saying that Jam 6 saves as .disc files but might have the .sd2f option, or exclusively as .disc?

Perry/Chicago

#15 seanmurd

seanmurd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Jan 11 2010, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My guess it must have been in Jam 6 as my first go around with Jam was v. 5. and since all my formatting was breaking in Jam 6, that seems the culprit for a changed crossfade function. Now that I think about it, the crossfade gui did look a bit different in v. 6.

I have used Jam 6 slightly, but after seeing all my old shows lose all that formatting, I am sure I never made it to the save "anything" point to look for saving options. So are you saying that Jam 6 saves as .disc files but might have the .sd2f option, or exclusively as .disc?

Perry/Chicago

I just checked it so I could answer your question -- in Jam 6, when you "Save" or "Save As..." it saves as a ".disc" file. When you "Save As Disc Image" it saves as an ".sd2f" file.

#16 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (seanmurd @ Jan 12 2010, 05:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just checked it so I could answer your question -- in Jam 6, when you "Save" or "Save As..." it saves as a ".disc" file. When you "Save As Disc Image" it saves as an ".sd2f" file.

Thanks Sean,
In my experience it always worked like this:
In Jam 5, general saving of the Jam data file never had an extension, so the .disc is new in v.6. However, I never knew the data file to open in Toast that I remember.
However, after I save the data file, I always made a disc image. This was my finished product and would be transferred to iTunes most likely. However that same disc image, when dragged to the Audio window of Toast would lay out all the tracks and formatting for burning.
This was handy in Jam 5, where one had to wait for Jam to create a disc image before burning in Toast. Make the disc image once (providing you had the storage for it) and just bypass Jam for subsequent burns later on.
Jam 6 has removed this step so not such a big deal.

Perry/Chicago

#17 ghobish

ghobish

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Dec 18 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm on a 2.93GHz MBP running 10.6.2 running QT7 and Rosetta, and when I try and launch JAM 6.0.2 I get a bouncing icon in the dock which soon disappears.

I run JAM on my MacPro under 10.5.8 every day. I've tried reinstalling Rosetta, repairing permissions, deleting prefs, restarted under a new user profile, rebooted in safe mode, etc. No luck.

So if you're running JAM under Snow Leopard there i something obviously screwy with my software- any ideas?
===========

Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering, San Francisco

#18 ghobish

ghobish

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (ghobish @ Jan 16 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I'm on a 2.93GHz MBP running 10.6.2 running QT7 and Rosetta, and when I try and launch JAM 6.0.2 I get a bouncing icon in the dock which soon disappears.

I run JAM on my MacPro under 10.5.8 every day. I've tried reinstalling Rosetta, repairing permissions, deleting prefs, restarted under a new user profile, rebooted in safe mode, etc. No luck.

So if you're running JAM under Snow Leopard there i something obviously screwy with my software- any ideas?

SOLVED- The copy of JAM on my laptop was corrupted. Reinstalling it fixed it and it will now startup in Snow Leopard.
===========

Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering, San Francisco

#19 hartmixer@aol.com

hartmixer@aol.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

Jam opens fine with Snow Leopard on Intel Multi core BUT I cannot route the audio to Digidesign HD system,
will playback through internal speaker only. Core Audio does not see Jam. Does anyone have this problem? or fixes?
thanks...S

#20 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (hartmixer@aol.com @ Feb 10 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jam opens fine with Snow Leopard on Intel Multi core BUT I cannot route the audio to Digidesign HD system,
will playback through internal speaker only. Core Audio does not see Jam. Does anyone have this problem? or fixes?
thanks...S

Finally got on a Snow Leopard machine (wife's new MacBook Pro)
I tried loading Jam 6 and had the bouncing icon.
Then for grins, I connected to my computer and dragged over the Jam 5.01 app and then the preferences.
Boom.
Opened and works perfect.
I even opened one of my shows remotely and it sprang right up. All formatting intact.
Obviously I am overjoyed beyond words as I wanted to stay with Jam 5 anyway as all my shows are in Jam 5.
I installed Toast 8 the same was and it came right up.
I hope it doesn’t give me any surprises, but it seems like it is rock solid.
Now to see if I have Core Audio problem outputting to my main audio system when My Mac Pro turns up next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users