#21 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,559 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Mar 6 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally got on a Snow Leopard machine (wife's new MacBook Pro)
I tried loading Jam 6 and had the bouncing icon.
Then for grins, I connected to my computer and dragged over the Jam 5.01 app and then the preferences.
Boom.
Opened and works perfect.
I even opened one of my shows remotely and it sprang right up. All formatting intact.
Obviously I am overjoyed beyond words as I wanted to stay with Jam 5 anyway as all my shows are in Jam 5.
I installed Toast 8 the same was and it came right up.
I hope it doesn’t give me any surprises, but it seems like it is rock solid.
Now to see if I have Core Audio problem outputting to my main audio system when My Mac Pro turns up next week.

Jam 6.0.3 launches fine for me on my new iMac running Snow Leopard. Don't know why it didn't work for you.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#22 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Mar 6 2010, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jam 6.0.3 launches fine for me on my new iMac running Snow Leopard. Don't know why it didn't work for you.

I am a bit baffled by that as well.
I dragged the app to the application folder as I would normally do, but when clicked, just a bounce or two in the dock and over and out.
One thing I should point out is I had Jam 6.02 and not 6.0.3
Maybe that is a factor.
But given that I would lose all the formatting in already created shows moving to any form of Jam 6, I am delighted to stay with Jam 5.0.1.

Now I have a week to worry about whether I will have any issues with the output of it into my main external system. I'd hate to get this far and then be reduced to using headphones.
tsantee, are you using the internal speakers or outputting to and external amp?

Perry/Chicago

#23 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,559 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Mar 6 2010, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a bit baffled by that as well.
I dragged the app to the application folder as I would normally do, but when clicked, just a bounce or two in the dock and over and out.
One thing I should point out is I had Jam 6.02 and not 6.0.3
Maybe that is a factor.
But given that I would lose all the formatting in already created shows moving to any form of Jam 6, I am delighted to stay with Jam 5.0.1.

Now I have a week to worry about whether I will have any issues with the output of it into my main external system. I'd hate to get this far and then be reduced to using headphones.
tsantee, are you using the internal speakers or outputting to and external amp?

Perry/Chicago

I'm using the internal speakers now but more typically use headphones connected via the built-in output. I'm using a copy of Jam that was installed on my earlier Macs and transferred to the new Macs rather than doing a new installation. Maybe that is a factor. I've never had to go through the setup assistant that way because the license key is already present.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#24 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Mar 8 2010, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm using the internal speakers now but more typically use headphones connected via the built-in output. I'm using a copy of Jam that was installed on my earlier Macs and transferred to the new Macs rather than doing a new installation. Maybe that is a factor. I've never had to go through the setup assistant that way because the license key is already present.

The more and more I see and hear, I think that is the factor. Having it previously installed and moving over the app and the preferences.
My heart really sank when I saw that bouncing icon and then failure.
Glad I thought to try dragging it over. I never expected Jam 5 to work, though. And just as surprised to see Toast 8 fully functional.
And the fact that is does makes me even happier.
Jam 6 does have some nice things going on, but I have too many shows in 5 that need to be opened in 5 to maintain their formatting.
I'd like to run both actually going forward. But once the Jam 6 prefs are installed, all of my Jam 5 stuff still loses it's formatting.
Looks like Mac Pro to arrive (after getting tricked out locally) by then end of the week and I can report back on the audio output.
Had been using an M-Audio 2496 card on my G4 (using digital out and analog in) so I'll see how it plays out using both the Apple digital in and out.

Perry/Chicago

#25 JAM MASTER

JAM MASTER

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Mar 8 2010, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The more and more I see and hear, I think that is the factor. Having it previously installed and moving over the app and the preferences.
My heart really sank when I saw that bouncing icon and then failure.
Glad I thought to try dragging it over. I never expected Jam 5 to work, though. And just as surprised to see Toast 8 fully functional.
And the fact that is does makes me even happier.
Jam 6 does have some nice things going on, but I have too many shows in 5 that need to be opened in 5 to maintain their formatting.
I'd like to run both actually going forward. But once the Jam 6 prefs are installed, all of my Jam 5 stuff still loses it's formatting.
Looks like Mac Pro to arrive (after getting tricked out locally) by then end of the week and I can report back on the audio output.
Had been using an M-Audio 2496 card on my G4 (using digital out and analog in) so I'll see how it plays out using both the Apple digital in and out.

Perry/Chicago

Hi all - came across this thread after I installed Toast & Jam 6 on my new MBP Intel Core i5.  All I get is the bouncing icon in the dock.  I tried trashing the plist and reinstalling both Toast & Jam but got same result.  I've been using v6 of each on my old MBP with Leopard with no major issues and Rosetta was installed during Migration Assistant so I anticipated they would work. But the new MBP has Snow Leopard and so far, the OS seems to be the only difference. Anyone else tried this yet on a new MBP or have any suggestions?

Also, whereas I've been using Jam 6 for so long, can someone give me a Jam feature comparative with Toast 10 in case I have to upgrade?  I've heard that many of the Jam features are supposed to be there and I'm mostly interested in how cross-fades behave. The video on the website shows the features in action but I'm concerned that there may be a 10 second limit to the cross fades as the narrator says it's a default setting.

#26 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (JAM MASTER @ Apr 16 2010, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all - came across this thread after I installed Toast & Jam 6 on my new MBP Intel Core i5.  All I get is the bouncing icon in the dock.  I tried trashing the plist and reinstalling both Toast & Jam but got same result.  I've been using v6 of each on my old MBP with Leopard with no major issues and Rosetta was installed during Migration Assistant so I anticipated they would work. But the new MBP has Snow Leopard and so far, the OS seems to be the only difference. Anyone else tried this yet on a new MBP or have any suggestions?

Also, whereas I've been using Jam 6 for so long, can someone give me a Jam feature comparative with Toast 10 in case I have to upgrade?  I've heard that many of the Jam features are supposed to be there and I'm mostly interested in how cross-fades behave. The video on the website shows the features in action but I'm concerned that there may be a 10 second limit to the cross fades as the narrator says it's a default setting.

Read up through the thread and you will get some hints, but I will let you know within the last month, I have Jam 5.01 working famously on a brand new MacPro (quad core 3.33) and 15" MacBook Pro 2.66, both of course running 10.6.3.
I too had the bouncing icon. I think the problem is the installer is not compatible. Not the application.
So I think you just need to have a successful installation from a previous machine.
Drag over the old app to your new computer. Then from your user Library drag over the Roxio folder from Application Support folder and "com.roxio.Jam.plist" from the Preference folder. You can also drag com.roxio.Toast.plist if you plan on moving an older version of Toast (in my case v. 8.01.)
At this point, everything opened as per normal and splendidly.
All output was fed fine thru the Digital output which is connected to the main system in my studio.
In fact, the past 4/15/10, I launched the first new show produced entirely on the new MacPro system using Jam 5.01.
( http://www.bestradioyouhaveneverheard.com/podcasts/ )
So it will work. I held my breath hoping it would and let out a huge sigh of relief when everything was working normally.

Perry/Chicago

#27 JAM MASTER

JAM MASTER

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Apr 16 2010, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read up through the thread and you will get some hints, but I will let you know within the last month, I have Jam 5.01 working famously on a brand new MacPro (quad core 3.33) and 15" MacBook Pro 2.66, both of course running 10.6.3.
I too had the bouncing icon. I think the problem is the installer is not compatible. Not the application.
So I think you just need to have a successful installation from a previous machine.
Drag over the old app to your new computer. Then from your user Library drag over the Roxio folder from Application Support folder and "com.roxio.Jam.plist" from the Preference folder. You can also drag com.roxio.Toast.plist if you plan on moving an older version of Toast (in my case v. 8.01.)
At this point, everything opened as per normal and splendidly.
All output was fed fine thru the Digital output which is connected to the main system in my studio.
In fact, the past 4/15/10, I launched the first new show produced entirely on the new MacPro system using Jam 5.01.
( http://www.bestradioyouhaveneverheard.com/podcasts/ )
So it will work. I held my breath hoping it would and let out a huge sigh of relief when everything was working normally.

Perry/Chicago

I looked for the Roxio folder in my application support folder on the old hard drive but there isn't one.  All I've been able to find are the plist files for Toast & Jam.  Am I looking in the right place - user/username/library/application support?

#28 JAM MASTER

JAM MASTER

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (JAM MASTER @ Apr 16 2010, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I looked for the Roxio folder in my application support folder on the old hard drive but there isn't one.  All I've been able to find are the plist files for Toast & Jam.  Am I looking in the right place - user/username/library/application support?

One other thing I noticed is that CD Spin Doctor and Motion Pictures software that came w/ Toast 6 both function.  There was also a "patch" file inside of Toast 6 that when executed, indicates as successfully applied but Toast still does not launch.

#29 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (JAM MASTER @ Apr 18 2010, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One other thing I noticed is that CD Spin Doctor and Motion Pictures software that came w/ Toast 6 both function.  There was also a "patch" file inside of Toast 6 that when executed, indicates as successfully applied but Toast still does not launch.

I actually tried to use Spin Doctor from Version 8 the other day, and although it launched correctly, no functions from playback to filtering would work and needed to be forced to quit.
Toast is burning just fine however. I'd like to find what is hanging it up, as I do use Spin Doctor often.

Perry/Chicago

#30 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,559 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (JAM MASTER @ Apr 16 2010, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see anything related to Jam in any Library other than "Roxio Jam Preferences" and "com.roxio.jam.plist" in my user preferences folder.

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Apr 18 2010, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually tried to use Spin Doctor from Version 8 the other day, and although it launched correctly, no functions from playback to filtering would work and needed to be forced to quit.
Toast is burning just fine however. I'd like to find what is hanging it up, as I do use Spin Doctor often.

Perry/Chicago

I believe only the latest update to Spin Doctor in Toast 10.0.6 works with Snow Leopard. If you want to keep using the version from Toast 8 you'll probably need to boot your Mac using an earlier version of OS X.

#31 JAM MASTER

JAM MASTER

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Apr 18 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see anything related to Jam in any Library other than "Roxio Jam Preferences" and "com.roxio.jam.plist" in my user preferences folder.

To recap - Migration Assistant brought over Jam & Toast from my old MBP and then I copied over the app again from the old MBP and another back-up.  Still get the bouncing icon on both.

I believe only the latest update to Spin Doctor in Toast 10.0.6 works with Snow Leopard. If you want to keep using the version from Toast 8 you'll probably need to boot your Mac using an earlier version of OS X.

I checked further with my Spin Doctor and all it will do is open a file and then the program hangs up.  I don't use SD but thought there might be some hope whereas it at least opened.

#32 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Apr 18 2010, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Application Support Roxio Folder on closer look has to do with Disc Catalog Maker, which who knows when and what version of Toast loaded that in my old G4. When I moved stuff over, I was just covering all things Roxio, Jam and Toast.
Seems to have made things work for me, and I guarantee, I'm not msesing with anything at this point.

Perry/Chicago

#33 JAM MASTER

JAM MASTER

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Apr 18 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Application Support Roxio Folder on closer look has to do with Disc Catalog Maker, which who knows when and what version of Toast loaded that in my old G4. When I moved stuff over, I was just covering all things Roxio, Jam and Toast.
Seems to have made things work for me, and I guarantee, I'm not msesing with anything at this point.

Perry/Chicago

Well, I tried copying over again and reinstalling using the dmg file of Jam and Toast was a transfer as I don't seem to have the dmg for it.  Toast momentarily appears in the menu bar at the top of the screen (it may have before but I might not have noticed) along with dock icon bounce and Jam has usual icon bounce in dock for 1-2 seconds and then is gone.

Are you on one of the new MBP 15s that came out last week?  That's what I'm on so I'm wondering if you're not, maybe it's the difference in the laptops.

#34 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (JAM MASTER @ Apr 19 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I tried copying over again and reinstalling using the dmg file of Jam and Toast was a transfer as I don't seem to have the dmg for it.  Toast momentarily appears in the menu bar at the top of the screen (it may have before but I might not have noticed) along with dock icon bounce and Jam has usual icon bounce in dock for 1-2 seconds and then is gone.

Are you on one of the new MBP 15s that came out last week?  That's what I'm on so I'm wondering if you're not, maybe it's the difference in the laptops.

No it's the last generation. It's about two months old. My MacPro is about a month old.

And again, I just copied over the apps from the Application folder of the old G4 into the Application folder of the new MacPro and MBP.
I did not use an installer (I think the installer is a problem for 10.6) and transferred the Roxio Jam Preferences, and Roxio Toast Preferences and com.roxio.Jam.plist and com.roxio.Toast.plist from the G4 /Users/me/Library/Preferences files to the MacPro /Users/me/Library/Preferences.

Are you transferring all those things from the last computer Toast and Jam were working on?

#35 JAM MASTER

JAM MASTER

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Apr 19 2010, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it's the last generation. It's about two months old. My MacPro is about a month old.

And again, I just copied over the apps from the Application folder of the old G4 into the Application folder of the new MacPro and MBP.
I did not use an installer (I think the installer is a problem for 10.6) and transferred the Roxio Jam Preferences, and Roxio Toast Preferences and com.roxio.Jam.plist and com.roxio.Toast.plist from the G4 /Users/me/Library/Preferences files to the MacPro /Users/me/Library/Preferences.

Are you transferring all those things from the last computer Toast and Jam were working on?

Yes, I'll recap the sequence so far to neaten things up:

1) Migration Assistant took everything over the first time from my original 10.5.8 hard drive.)  
2) I next re-copied T&J apps & plist files manually from same 10.5.8 drive to no avail
3) Copied again from a different back up drive using the dmg file for Jam and copying Toast + related plist files.

There is no Roxio folder to transfer over within any of the app. support folders of my drives.  The only other Roxio related things I find on my drives are Roxio Converted Items folder (all empty,) a Roxio Peak Freq. folder and a tif file of their logo.

#36 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (JAM MASTER @ Apr 19 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I'll recap the sequence so far to neaten things up:

1) Migration Assistant took everything over the first time from my original 10.5.8 hard drive.)  
2) I next re-copied T&J apps & plist files manually from same 10.5.8 drive to no avail
3) Copied again from a different back up drive using the dmg file for Jam and copying Toast + related plist files.

There is no Roxio folder to transfer over within any of the app. support folders of my drives.  The only other Roxio related things I find on my drives are Roxio Converted Items folder (all empty,) a Roxio Peak Freq. folder and a tif file of their logo.

Well following along at home, it seems you have not transferred over two of the preferences that I listed. Those being Roxio Jam Preferences and Roxio Toast Preferences. Those are IN ADDITION to the .plist files and are located in user/you/Library/Preferences.

Perry/Chicago

#37 JAM MASTER

JAM MASTER

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Apr 19 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well following along at home, it seems you have not transferred over two of the preferences that I listed. Those being Roxio Jam Preferences and Roxio Toast Preferences. Those are IN ADDITION to the .plist files and are located in user/you/Library/Preferences.

Perry/Chicago

OK, I found those - I was looking for separate folders before.  I copied them over from my back-up drive (the format of these say 'Microsoft Excel preferences') but both programs still bounce in the dock and don't launch.   Not sure what to do next but I may start the whole process over again just to be sure.

#38 dbx166

dbx166

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (JAM MASTER @ Apr 19 2010, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, I found those - I was looking for separate folders before.  I copied them over from my back-up drive (the format of these say 'Microsoft Excel preferences') but both programs still bounce in the dock and don't launch.   Not sure what to do next but I may start the whole process over again just to be sure.

Yes, I would say. start again. I have seen odd files with no parent be interpreted as Excel files before.

#39 JAM MASTER

JAM MASTER

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (dbx166 @ Apr 19 2010, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I would say. start again. I have seen odd files with no parent be interpreted as Excel files before.

Well, I trashed everything on my new MBP and went back to my Powerbook instead of the hard drive from my old MBP (I no longer have the MBP itself.)  Via File-Sharing, I copied the preferences and plists over and reinstalled Jam.  The preferences are still coming over in Excel format.  I have another Intel Mac source that I will try to copy direct from tomorrow and see if the preferences transfer properly.

UPDATE
:  As a quick test, I transferred the Jam preferences from an Intel iMac to the MBP drop box via File-Sharing.  Within the iMac Preferences folder, the file format is indicated as "Microsoft Entourage Preferences" and this format seemingly made the transition to the MBP drop box following the transfer as observed while looking at the duplicated files via the iMac.  

However, when I went over to the MBP and before I moved the files from the drop box, I noted the format reads "Microsoft Excel preferences" again.  So, no luck with this, it seems that some type of conversion is happening between the 2 machines.  Any ideas?

Edited by JAM MASTER, 19 April 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#40 DEXTERITY

DEXTERITY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

can anyone please help me. I can't get jam to work with 10.6.2. I'm quite certain I have rosetta installed. Anytime I click on the jam icon nothing happens. I even downloaded a new copy, but I'm not sure where to install the folder contents. Any help getting Jam 6 to work again would be greatly appreciated! thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users