• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Adam23

Adam23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:11 PM

I'm new to this program and i need help. I have tried about 30 differant movies to to upload from DVD to mp4 so i can put my video libary on my I-Phone. The sales person said this program would convert my DVDs to MP4. every DVD i put in gives me the same error css encrypted message. Am i doing something wrong? Please help.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:55 AM

Popcorn cannot convert or copy a commercial DVD because it is copy protected. If this is a DVD you recorded yourself then you shouldn't get this error. If it is a commercial DVD then you need to Google for solutions in how to prepare it for use with Popcorn. We can't discuss that in the Roxio forums.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 Tyomni

Tyomni

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

Can't he just copy that dvd to local directory, and after the copy protection passed do his convertation?

#4 HarL

HarL

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

I have been converting my Home movies which were transferred onto DVDs before exporting to my Mac with Popcorn but all of a sudden it say's there is an "I/O" error result code= -36.

I exported several movies today and then I started getting this message right about when its ready to finish.
DVDs which were exported before won't now.

Tried updating popcorn, removing and reinstalling with the original disc . Which would not run. I had to go to TRASH and replace it. I even tried making new copies.

Please help, this was working fine 10 hours ago

#5 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

View PostHarL, on 01 January 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

I have been converting my Home movies which were transferred onto DVDs before exporting to my Mac with Popcorn but all of a sudden it say's there is an "I/O" error result code= -36.

I exported several movies today and then I started getting this message right about when its ready to finish.
DVDs which were exported before won't now.

Tried updating popcorn, removing and reinstalling with the original disc . Which would not run. I had to go to TRASH and replace it. I even tried making new copies.

Please help, this was working fine 10 hours ago
It may be that shutting down and restarting the Mac (not just doing a restart) will reset this. If that doesn't do it then trashing the com.roxio.popcorn.plist file in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Popcorn may help.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#6 HarL

HarL

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

View Posttsantee, on 01 January 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

It may be that shutting down and restarting the Mac (not just doing a restart) will reset this. If that doesn't do it then trashing the com.roxio.popcorn.plist file in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Popcorn may help.

I tried both with no luck. is there anything else that may have gotten corupt?

#7 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostHarL, on 02 January 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

I tried both with no luck. is there anything else that may have gotten corupt?
Try this workaround to convert your videos. Choose Video Files instead of DVD Disc as the source in the Popcorn Convert window. Insert the DVD and choose DVD with the top button of the Popcorn Media Browser. If you don't see the Media Browser you can open it with from the Windows menu. You should now see some text in the browser window which is your DVD. Either double click on that text of click on the button that's just below "DVD" to access the individual titles on your disc. Select the titles you want and add them to the main Popcorn window. Popcorn will extract those videos from the disc. When that is done you can proceed with your conversion.

#8 HarL

HarL

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

View Posttsantee, on 02 January 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

Try this workaround to convert your videos. Choose Video Files instead of DVD Disc as the source in the Popcorn Convert window. Insert the DVD and choose DVD with the top button of the Popcorn Media Browser. If you don't see the Media Browser you can open it with from the Windows menu. You should now see some text in the browser window which is your DVD. Either double click on that text of click on the button that's just below "DVD" to access the individual titles on your disc. Select the titles you want and add them to the main Popcorn window. Popcorn will extract those videos from the disc. When that is done you can proceed with your conversion.

Tried this and still no luck. It does the same thing, the progress bar runs until 99% then gives the error.

#9 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostHarL, on 03 January 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Tried this and still no luck. It does the same thing, the progress bar runs until 99% then gives the error.
The problem, then, is with the video file itself. I don't recall if Popcorn 3 has an editor but if it does then trim off a few seconds at the end of the video. Otherwise I recommend using MPEG Streamclip (which is free but requires Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component). MPEG Streamclip can repair time code breaks which sometimes gives Popcorn problems and can be used to trim out segments. It also can do the conversion to other formats.

#10 HarL

HarL

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thanks I'll give that a try tomorrow. I played around a bit this morning after I posted here. I exported a DVD successfully with popcorn. It was the very last one that went through. To explain a little history and try to keep it short. I started editing my home movies  (about 15 years worth) all were on tape VHS, 8mm and HI-8. All were transferred with the same DVD recorder. I loaded up my hard drive and was having trouble with iMovie so I deleted most events That I wasn't using. Wanting to get back to them I tried re-exporting them. Some went and others won't and I am also having troubles with some that haven't ever been on my computer.

Will try clipping the end first and I will let you know if I have any luck.

Thanks

#11 HarL

HarL

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

UPDATE, haven't been able to spend much time working on this today but, I think I may be making a little headway. I will post as soon as I'm sure about what I think is happening

#12 HarL

HarL

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

Well, got back at it for a while and here is what seems to be causing it. The majority of the problem discs are copied from a Sharp HI-8 camcorder. I found (by accident) that the problem seems to be in areas where the original tape was rewound and watched. When the filming began again there were spots where there are gaps between the fade out and fade Ins kind of a snow screen for a mille second. If I go back and edit them out it will down load.

Sounds easy?????? If I could get them in iMovie it would be a snap, but then I wouldn't need to LOL. It is very difficult to do with the camcorder or two DVD players. Will MPEG Streamclip push this thru?

#13 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

View PostHarL, on 11 January 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

Well, got back at it for a while and here is what seems to be causing it. The majority of the problem discs are copied from a Sharp HI-8 camcorder. I found (by accident) that the problem seems to be in areas where the original tape was rewound and watched. When the filming began again there were spots where there are gaps between the fade out and fade Ins kind of a snow screen for a mille second. If I go back and edit them out it will down load.

Sounds easy?????? If I could get them in iMovie it would be a snap, but then I wouldn't need to LOL. It is very difficult to do with the camcorder or two DVD players. Will MPEG Streamclip push this thru?
I'm afraid the only way to know if it can work using MPEG Streamclip is to give it a try. You can download and launch Streamclip and see that it does a lot of useful things. It just can't read MPEG 2 video until you install Apple's codec,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users