• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robrien4

robrien4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

When I attempt to burn the lightscribe disk I get the error message "A communication error has occurred with the lightscribe drive." The front of the disk may have up to 1/2 of the expected results printed.  

Any ideas on what is causing this issue?  I have searched every site I could find and still can not solve this issue.  Any help or suggesstion will be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,438 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (robrien4 @ Jan 29 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I attempt to burn the lightscribe disk I get the error message "A communication error has occurred with the lightscribe drive." The front of the disk may have up to 1/2 of the expected results printed.  

Any ideas on what is causing this issue?  I have searched every site I could find and still can not solve this issue.  Any help or suggesstion will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I imagine that you did go to Lightscribe and download the latest software and that you ran the diagnostic utility.

Did you post in their users group?
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 robrien4

robrien4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE (sknis @ Jan 30 2010, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I imagine that you did go to Lightscribe and download the latest software and that you ran the diagnostic utility.

Did you post in their users group?

Actually, I have installed the software at lightscribe.com and I did not see a need to post another issue on their site when there are already several posts there for the same issue and there is no answer to solve the issue.

#4 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,438 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE (robrien4 @ Jan 31 2010, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I have installed the software at lightscribe.com and I did not see a need to post another issue on their site when there are already several posts there for the same issue and there is no answer to solve the issue.

So you are saying that lightscribe can't help so you are hoping that someone here can?

If you Google for that error, there are a lot of articles.  Some question the drive connection, some the drive itself and some just the firmware.  

Do you have Nero on your computer?  
Have you flashed new firmware for the drive?
What drive do you have?
Have you downloaded their label maker program and tried that?  You can always put in a disc that was already burned (partial image) and see if you get the same communication error.

Please come back and let us know what you tried and if anything worked.

Edited by sknis, 31 January 2010 - 05:38 AM.

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#5 robrien4

robrien4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (sknis @ Jan 31 2010, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you are saying that lightscribe can't help so you are hoping that someone here can?

If you Google for that error, there are a lot of articles.  Some question the drive connection, some the drive itself and some just the firmware.  

Do you have Nero on your computer?  
Have you flashed new firmware for the drive?
What drive do you have?
Have you downloaded their label maker program and tried that?  You can always put in a disc that was already burned (partial image) and see if you get the same communication error.

Please come back and let us know what you tried and if anything worked.

I have solved the issue.  Yes, I had Nero installed along with Roxio EMC 9.  
I did not flash the drive
It is a Samsung  SH-S223L

Everyting I learend from Google search on the error message that I believed to be credible pointed to software.  The hardware is fine.  I learned to re-install the SATA driver to it's original just in case a Microsoft update tried to do a better job.  The next step that I learned was to uninstall ALL burning software and edit the registry to remove ALL instances of "Lightscribe", "Roxio", "Sonic" and "Nero."  I did just that.  (Don't forget to backup the registry BEFORE you do this!!!  It has fixed the issue and I only have Roxio installed (and that's what I wanted).  

If you get this error, the issue is probably NOT one caused by hardware if you can burn a disk with the drive.  Complete the process as outlined above and everything should work just fine.  When I had Nero and Roxio installed, I could burn a disk from either application, but when I went to use the Lightscribe feature, it would not function correctly.

Thanks for all of your help.  I appreciate it and I hope that this post will help out someone in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users