20 replies to this topic

#1 jmosk

jmosk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

I have been using PhotoShow Deluxe since Jan 2006. I paid $50 for the program. I used it as recently as last week. It has now stopped working. The main screen comes up but the program is non-responsive - nothing works - not even help or preferences. And a further examination shows that it is consuming 100% of the CPU time.

But, I have found that if you disconnect the computer from the Internet, PhotoShow Deluxe works just fine. So during the startup of the program, it is going out over the Internet to perform some operation and whatever that operation is it now causes the program to hang. There are no other problems with the computer or other programs and nothing has been loaded onto the machine since PhotoShow was last run successfully. I believe Roxio has removed something the program was looking for on the Internet and this missing object is causing the program to hang.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,813 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (jmosk @ Feb 13 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been using PhotoShow Deluxe since Jan 2006. I paid $50 for the program. I used it as recently as last week. It has now stopped working. The main screen comes up but the program is non-responsive - nothing works - not even help or preferences. And a further examination shows that it is consuming 100% of the CPU time.

But, I have found that if you disconnect the computer from the Internet, PhotoShow Deluxe works just fine. So during the startup of the program, it is going out over the Internet to perform some operation and whatever that operation is it now causes the program to hang. There are no other problems with the computer or other programs and nothing has been loaded onto the machine since PhotoShow was last run successfully. I believe Roxio has removed something the program was looking for on the Internet and this missing object is causing the program to hang.

Did you install the Windows updates recently (this week) ?  What OS are you using?  You said that you can use PhotoShow 4 Deluxe 4 when not connected to the INTERNET.  Whose version do you have?  Comcast, Nero, other?  Have yu installed any new software or have you done any registry cleaning?

I doubt that Roxio would do anything to the program.  It is 2 versions and many builds behind and they would not be spending money on fixing/updating/breaking it.  Have you tried a repair?  More information please.  

Why do you need to get to the internet using PhotoShow 4?  Do you have on-line PhotoShows that you need to get to?
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 jmosk

jmosk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

Is anyone successfully using PhotoShow Deluxe 4 as of this date, while their computer is connected to the Internet?

Edited by jmosk, 13 February 2010 - 03:13 PM.

#4 jmosk

jmosk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:40 AM

QUOTE (jmosk @ Feb 13 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To test my theory further, I downloaded a new copy of PhotoShow Deluxe 4 onto a dual core processor laptop. It shows exacttly the same symptoms. The splash screen comes up then the program hangs and not buttons work in the program and you can not close it down. Around 60% of the dual CPU is busy - one of the processors is running near 80% load.

This seems to support my theory that Roxio removed something the program is looking for at startup, and bad error logic in the program is sending it into an infinite processing loop.

Roxio has probably removed something or a URL is no longer available that the program is looking for.

#5 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,813 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:03 AM

Of course it is possible.  The program may be looking for updates where there are none or that are no longer available.  I'm almost positive that Roxio- Simple Star made no changes tis week.  Your theory is flawed because there are som many other possible issues that could be possible.

Since you did't tell us what the problem it - you said it worked when it was not connected to the internet.  Are you getting any error messages?  Is it looking for um.msi?  If so, you can turn it off via msconfig then go to the tab for start up items and uncheck that application.  

Where did you get the updated version of PhotoShow 4?  Please post the link if this is not what you are talking about.  Did you buy the program from Comcast?  Are you using Comcast as an ISP?  Since you probably bought the program from them and if they are supplying you your internet service, have you tallked to them?

If you uploaded that and had Comcast, then there were no real changes made since that download is for

•If you are using a different brand of PhotoShow from Comcast (such as Simple Star, Road Runner, Nero or Walgreens), or PhotoShow Express, this update is not compatible with your software.

Please respond to my questions that I posted.  No one can help without feedback.  If you are going to trouble shoot by yourself and not respond, why did you bother to post?

I don't believe that Roxio had anythng to do with PhotoShow in Jan 2006 but did you try live chat or calling the Tech Support?  Look to the right on this page.

Please don't ignore the questions and suggestions if you really want help.  The TV commercial comes to minf where the person asks all kinds of questions to a sales person and then has NO questions/ responses in the doctor's office.

Edited by sknis, 14 February 2010 - 05:18 AM.

PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#6 nbernacchi

nbernacchi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (sknis @ Feb 14 2010, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course it is possible.  The program may be looking for updates where there are none or that are no longer available.  I'm almost positive that Roxio- Simple Star made no changes tis week.  Your theory is flawed because there are som many other possible issues that could be possible.

Since you did't tell us what the problem it - you said it worked when it was not connected to the internet.  Are you getting any error messages?  Is it looking for um.msi?  If so, you can turn it off via msconfig then go to the tab for start up items and uncheck that application.  

Where did you get the updated version of PhotoShow 4?  Please post the link if this is not what you are talking about.  Did you buy the program from Comcast?  Are you using Comcast as an ISP?  Since you probably bought the program from them and if they are supplying you your internet service, have you tallked to them?

If you uploaded that and had Comcast, then there were no real changes made since that download is for

•If you are using a different brand of PhotoShow from Comcast (such as Simple Star, Road Runner, Nero or Walgreens), or PhotoShow Express, this update is not compatible with your software.

Please respond to my questions that I posted.  No one can help without feedback.  If you are going to trouble shoot by yourself and not respond, why did you bother to post?

I don't believe that Roxio had anythng to do with PhotoShow in Jan 2006 but did you try live chat or calling the Tech Support?  Look to the right on this page.

Please don't ignore the questions and suggestions if you really want help.  The TV commercial comes to minf where the person asks all kinds of questions to a sales person and then has NO questions/ responses in the doctor's office.

I had some thing happen with the Comcast Photo Show Deluxe.....called comcast and said that I had to sign up with Roxio, time had expired on the free Comcast Photo Show.  So I signed up with Roxio,and now can't figure out how to upload pics from camera card....What a mess, Nicki

#7 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,813 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (nbernacchi @ Feb 15 2010, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had some thing happen with the Comcast Photo Show Deluxe.....called comcast and said that I had to sign up with Roxio, time had expired on the free Comcast Photo Show.  So I signed up with Roxio,and now can't figure out how to upload pics from camera card....What a mess, Nicki

Copy the images from your card to a folder on your computer using Windows.  Add the images from there.
PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#8 jmosk

jmosk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (sknis @ Feb 14 2010, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is additional information since you didn't fully understand my prior post regarding this problem.

I purchased PhotoShow Deluxe 4 directly from SimpleStar some four years ago. As of last week, when the package starts, it hangs up in an infinite loop - consuming 100% of the CPU on a single core system, and 52% of the CPU on a dual core system. I don't see how you can state my theory is flawed, since the problem is occuring on multiple systems when the program was fully operational just a week prior. The fact is, when the computer running photoshow is disconnected from the Internet, it comes up and works just fine. When the internet is connected and you start photoshow, the splash screen appears, no buttons work, the help does not work, preferences does not work, and you can't terminate the program either using the upper right corner X. There is no reaction to any buttons pressed in the program - it is entirely dead. This is the problem in its entirety. There are no error messages. It just no longer operates after the splash screen appears, unless you disconnect from the Internet before starting the program.

So regardless of what the program is doing with the Internet during startup, whether it is looking for a non-existant update, or checking a serial number, or whatever it might be doing, the fact is, whatever it has been using in the past on the Internet, is no longer there or is returning data that is not what was expected, and flawed error logic is causing the program to go into an infinite loop. Yet disconnecting from the internet is bypass the startup access to the net and is thereby bypassing the logic that is ending up getting into the loop.

The software downloaded to a differnt computer for testing, was the original version of PhotoShow Deluxe. I retained the original software package in order to reload it in the future if necessary.

I have not attempted to contact Roxio technical support after reading all of the posts in this forum regarding experiences with their tech support. Most people have stated that tech support either did not respond to questions or was useless. And considering this is a legacy product manufactured by a company they acquired, calling tech support will be a waste of time. This is not a simple configuration or operation problem. This problem has more than likely occured because of an obsure change at Roxio which may be as simple as not renewing an old Domain name. This may not have been a deliberate action on Roxio's part at all but a fall out of something that changed online that resulted in Photoshow executing flawed error logic that was never executed in the past.

The primary purpose of my post was to let people know that might run into the same problem, that there is a way around the problem if they disconnect from the Internet.

BTW - when you ask if the program is looking for um.msi - how would we know that and why this particular file anyway.

Edited by jmosk, 17 February 2010 - 10:39 AM.

#9 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,813 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

um.msi is update manager.  If you are getting that error, then it is your computer trying to find if an update is available or the update manager is trying to update itself.  Since there are no updates, you can disable it or follow the instructions below.  Read and foll the directions carefully,  I recommend uninstalling it.

As I have been telling other people.  The support for PhotoShow is very different from the Roxio support for the other Roxio products.  Go to this page and call or use live chat,  I guarantee that they will try to help if they can.  Don't call with the 'tude you are showing here.  Calm down and be civil.

Look at some of the other threads in this forum.  For example.

You can also look at the KB data base for Roxio products.  That is where I found the information on um.msi

ALL APPLICATIONS

1.There are no separate user settings to limit the frequency with which Update Manager checks for updates. Currently supported Roxio software allows users to opt out of Update manager Activation. To disable Update Manager do the following:

◦Launch the software
◦Go to Tools --> Options --> General.
◦Uncheck "Check for updates" under the "Start up" pane.
◦Click OK.
(Note: the above may not be in your product)

2.Macrovision, the makers of the Install Shield Update Manger (ISUM) software that Roxio uses, has a utility that you can download to manage not just updates with Roxio products, but any application that uses the ISUM on your computer.

To install and use this utility:

◦Download the Update Manager utility and save it to your Desktop.
◦Double click installshieldupdateservice.exe and follow the instructions to install the Update Manager.
◦If the Update Manager doesn't launch automatically, go to Start --> Program Updates.
◦Click on the Update Settings tab.
◦Uncheck the software you wish to stop updating then click OK.
◦The settings have been saved.

3.This can also be an error of the Update Manager unsuccessfully attempting to update itself. To update, remove this program using the Add/Remove Programs control panel. It will be called either "Roxio Update Manager" or "Sonic Update Manager". Then download the latest version here and install.
(Note, in your case it may have something to do with Nero)
4.If you decide to permanently remove the Update Manager, it will not affect the performance of any Sonic or Roxio software currently installed on the system.
5.If Update Manager fails to uninstall, corruption has occurred that prevents removal. You will have to manually remove Update Manager:
◦Download and install Microsoft Cleanup Utility located here.
◦Run the application and select Sonic (or Roxio) Update Manager, and select Remove.
◦Go to My Computer --> C:\\Program Files\Sonic. If there is a folder named Update Manager, right click on it and select delete.
◦Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\<--user name-->\Application Data\Sonic and delete the "Update Manager" folder.

NOTE: You may need to enable hidden files. Do this within Windows Explorer by going to Tools --> Folder Options --> View tab and select Show Hidden Files and Folders.

PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#10 jmosk

jmosk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (sknis @ Feb 17 2010, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
um.msi is update manager.  If you are getting that error, then it is your computer trying to find if an update is available or the update manager is trying to update itself.  Since there are no updates, you can disable it or follow the instructions below.  Read and foll the directions carefully,  I recommend uninstalling it.

As I have been telling other people.  The support for PhotoShow is very different from the Roxio support for the other Roxio products.  Go to this page and call or use live chat,  I guarantee that they will try to help if they can.  Don't call with the 'tude you are showing here.  Calm down and be civil.

Look at some of the other threads in this forum.  For example.

You can also look at the KB data base for Roxio products.  That is where I found the information on um.msi

ALL APPLICATIONS

1.There are no separate user settings to limit the frequency with which Update Manager checks for updates. Currently supported Roxio software allows users to opt out of Update manager Activation. To disable Update Manager do the following:

◦Launch the software
◦Go to Tools --> Options --> General.
◦Uncheck "Check for updates" under the "Start up" pane.
◦Click OK.
(Note: the above may not be in your product)

2.Macrovision, the makers of the Install Shield Update Manger (ISUM) software that Roxio uses, has a utility that you can download to manage not just updates with Roxio products, but any application that uses the ISUM on your computer.

To install and use this utility:

◦Download the Update Manager utility and save it to your Desktop.
◦Double click installshieldupdateservice.exe and follow the instructions to install the Update Manager.
◦If the Update Manager doesn't launch automatically, go to Start --> Program Updates.
◦Click on the Update Settings tab.
◦Uncheck the software you wish to stop updating then click OK.
◦The settings have been saved.

3.This can also be an error of the Update Manager unsuccessfully attempting to update itself. To update, remove this program using the Add/Remove Programs control panel. It will be called either "Roxio Update Manager" or "Sonic Update Manager". Then download the latest version here and install.
(Note, in your case it may have something to do with Nero)
4.If you decide to permanently remove the Update Manager, it will not affect the performance of any Sonic or Roxio software currently installed on the system.
5.If Update Manager fails to uninstall, corruption has occurred that prevents removal. You will have to manually remove Update Manager:
◦Download and install Microsoft Cleanup Utility located here.
◦Run the application and select Sonic (or Roxio) Update Manager, and select Remove.
◦Go to My Computer --> C:\\Program Files\Sonic. If there is a folder named Update Manager, right click on it and select delete.
◦Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\<--user name-->\Application Data\Sonic and delete the "Update Manager" folder.

NOTE: You may need to enable hidden files. Do this within Windows Explorer by going to Tools --> Folder Options --> View tab and select Show Hidden Files and Folders.

A call to Roxio technical support reveals what I suspected. They are no longer supporting this legacy product and neither do they track any bug reports for PhotoShow Deluxe 4 so they would not even know if others are reporting the same error I reported.

Your pointing at um.msi as the possible source of the problem is flawed. You stated that Roxio is using this software to handle updates. But if you followed my posting, you would note that I am using SimpleStar software that is 4 years old and Roxio had no relationship to SimpleStar at that time. So Roxio's update mechanism is not part of the PhotoShow Deluxe 4 software. And, msi.um is not even on either of the two systems which are showing this infinite loop problem.

#11 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,813 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (jmosk @ Feb 17 2010, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A call to Roxio technical support reveals what I suspected. They are no longer supporting this legacy product and neither do they track any bug reports for PhotoShow Deluxe 4 so they would not even know if others are reporting the same error I reported.

Your pointing at um.msi as the possible source of the problem is flawed. You stated that Roxio is using this software to handle updates. But if you followed my posting, you would note that I am using SimpleStar software that is 4 years old and Roxio had no relationship to SimpleStar at that time. So Roxio's update mechanism is not part of the PhotoShow Deluxe 4 software. And, msi.um is not even on either of the two systems which are showing this infinite loop problem.

Um is used by more than Roxio, actually quite a few.  Since you don't have that on the system, then my original question has been answered.  It took a while.  It would have saved time if you had just said "No, there is no message about um.msi" about two or three posts ago.  Did you use the PhotoShow support number or live chat?

BTW, did you ever try to restore your computer to,  say 2 weeks ago just in case a Microsoft or other change caused the program to fail.  Did you install anything recently?

Sorry about your problem.  You cannot go to Simple Star to get any relief.  I think this conversation has reached an unhappy end.  One of the other frequent posts has a tag line about don't kill the messenger.  I'm a user just like you I don't work for Roxio, nor do I get any $$ for doing this.  I just try to help. Sorry I couldn't do anting for you.
PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#12 tristin

tristin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

I too am having the same exact problem with photoshow deluxe 4. I've been using this version since 2005 with no problems until now. I too bought it online from Simple Star. I wrote to customer support today and hope someone can help. I have hundreds of my children and grandchildren's photos stored on it so I hope it will load if I disconnect the internet as u suggested.  At least then I can save them to a folder. Thanks for your post.

#13 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,813 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (tristin @ Mar 19 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too am having the same exact problem with photoshow deluxe 4. I've been using this version since 2005 with no problems until now. I too bought it online from Simple Star. I wrote to customer support today and hope someone can help. I have hundreds of my children and grandchildren's photos stored on it so I hope it will load if I disconnect the internet as u suggested.  At least then I can save them to a folder. Thanks for your post.

Instead of a e-mail or customer support ticket, use the live chat.  They are open 7 days per week and long hours.  

Were you never notified of the change?  It has been some time but there were messages sent out to alert users to switch over if they wanted to keep the Photo Shows.

When you said you had photos stored on it do you mean on-line or in the Photo Shows themselves?  Don't you have back ups of all those images on your computer?  I don't know how that old version worked.  Have you searched your computer for the Photo Shows?   Roxio stores them in My Documents; look for a folder that might contain the shows.  Are you sure you don't have those images in a different folder -  perhaps some kind of album?  Again search your computer.

Go to this page.  Perhaps there is some information in the Kb articles that will help you.

Just a check, what anti-virus are you using?  Did it update recently?  What about your firewall?  Did you do any Microsoft updates recently?  I seem to remember that there were several in the last two or three weeks.   Do you have a Windows back up to try to restore your computer to a time where the program worked?

By the way, and for example, there are some versions of the Roxio products that were specified as OEM.  Some Dell products will not run if they are not connected to the Internet; perhaps some sort of piracy protection.  If Simple Star was like that and they took down the server, then contacting Roxio PhotoShow support might be the only way to get those images back.  

Please respond to the questions, please.

Edited by sknis, 20 March 2010 - 03:40 AM.

PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#14 cheezeweeze

cheezeweeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

I am currently dealing with this issue on a clients PC using Walgreens PhotoShow Express and came across this post.  Thanks to jmosk for the tip about disconnecting the internet because that fixed PhotoShow Express as well.  I did a little googling for a more permanent solution using Windows built in IP Security Policies and discovered a way to block the IPs that PhotoShow was attempting to connect with and all is well now.  I went ahead and exported the policy to a file for easy import of the settings.  The only problem I can see from using this approach is that if you (or some other program) needs to access those IPs in the future you will need to remember to un-assign the policy or your program may not work.

Follow these steps to import the IP Security Policy:

1. Download the attachment "Block IPs Photoshow Fix.zip" to your desktop.
Double click the zip file to open it then drag and drop the "Block IPs Photoshow Fix.ipsec" to your desktop.

2. In XP PRO click Start->run SECPOL.MSC (now continue at step 3)
In XP Home click Start->run MMC
File->Add/Remove Snap-in...
Click Add...
Select "IP Security Policy Management"
Click Add
Select "Local computer" and click Finish
Click Close
Click OK

3. Right click "IP Security Policies on Local Computer" in the left window

4. Select "All Tasks"->Import Policies...

5. Browse to "Block IPs Photoshow Fix.ipsec" on your desktop

6. Click Open

7. Now "Block IPs Photoshow Fix" should show up in the security policies listing in right window.

8. Right click "Block IPs Photoshow Fix" policy
Click Assign

That's it!

To disable just right click the policy and click Un-assign.

I realize this post is 6 months old but I just wanted to help others that might be dealing with the same issue.

Edited by sknis, 24 September 2010 - 03:22 AM.

#15 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,813 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:28 AM

I deleted your link.  There is too much danger in downloading a "fix" from any site.  You can never know what you can get.  It may just be an honest link but you, as a repairman should know that there is too great a danger for viruses or other malware.

You, as a newbie with only this post have no reputation of providing valuable assistance on this forum.  If you had more of a history, then perhaps there would be more trust.

If anyone wants your fix, they can p.m. you for a copy of it.  If someone does, I would strongly suggest that you full name, address, e-mail, telephone number, and warranty be supplied with it so you can work on their computers should they install the file and their computers get screwed up.

Edited by sknis, 24 September 2010 - 03:35 AM.

PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#16 jmosk

jmosk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Please post the IP address and how to install IP blocking under windows so users can fix this without downloading any software.

#17 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,813 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

View Postjmosk, on 02 February 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

Please post the IP address and how to install IP blocking under windows so users can fix this without downloading any software.

See the envelop under cheezeweeze's name?  Click on that to send him a message.

It seems to be clear that you did not read the response about the dangers of download.

This thread  is over 2 years old so yuo may nt get a response.
PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#18 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,549 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

View Postsknis, on 02 February 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

It seems to be clear that you did not read the response about the dangers of download.

Yeah, jmosk is persistent, anyway.  He/she started the thread 2 years ago. lol
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#19 cheezeweeze

cheezeweeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

View Postjmosk, on 02 February 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

The IP blocking allowed the program to start correctly but according to my client they had other problems using the software and decided not to pursue the issue any further.

Here's what I did for the startup fix.

Block IPs to allow PhotoShow to run without hang at startup.

PhotoShow Express tries to connect to these Amazon's SE servers:
ec2-184-72-249-199.compute-1.amazonaws.com
ec2-184-73-190-230.compute-1.amazonaws.com

IPSEC configuration Manual Method that blocks specified IPs (Standalone PC):

1. In XP PRO click Start->run SECPOL.MSC (now continue at step 2)
In XP Home click Start->run MMC
File->Add/Remove Snap-in...
Click Add...
Select "IP Security Policy Management"
Click Add
Select "Local computer" and click Finish
Click Close
Click OK
2. Left click "IP Security Policies on Local Computer" on the left window to select it then right click it and select "Create IP Security Policy...".
3. Click Next on the wizard's first page, enter "Block IPs Photoshow Fix" as the Name, and click Next.
4. Clear the "Activate the default response rule" check box, then click Next.
5. Leave "Edit properties" checked and click Finish.
6. Click Add on the Rules tab, then click Next on the first three pages.
7. Under Authentication Method select "Use this string to protect the key exchange (preshared key):" enter any text you want then click Next.
8. On the IP filter Lists: Click Add.
9. For Name: type "Blocked IP List" then Add.
10. Click Next on the first page.
11. Leave Source address: "My IP Address" then Next.
12. For Destination address: select "A specific IP Address" and enter 184.72.249.199 then Next.
13. Leave Select a protocol type: "Any" then Next and Finish.
14. Click Add again following steps 10 through 13 for 184.73.190.230.
15. Now OK out of the IP Filter List dialogue box.
16. Under IP filter lists: select the "Blocked IP List" you just created then click Next.
17. For Filter Action click Add then Next.
18. Enter "Block" for the action's name and click Next.
19. Select Block for the filter action behavior, then click Next, Finish.
20. On the Create Security Rule wizard, select Block, then click Next.
21. Clear the "Edit properties" check box, then click Finish.
22. On the "Block IPs Photoshow Fix" Properties window click Close.
23. Now right click "Block IPs Photoshow Fix" policy and click Assign.

Your policy now contains one rule that blocks the specific IP addresses.

#20 jmosk

jmosk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

View Postsknis, on 02 February 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

If you re-read my message, I asked for the instructions that were used to block the IP, not information about downloading a file from the Internet. The author of the file you deleted was kind enough to post the detailed instructions to this forum for other people to follow his method to get around the startup problem with PhotoShow Deluxe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users