• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rege

rege

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

Does Easy VHS capture widescreen format from a mini-DV camera?  I don't see a setting for it and thats what I bought this for.   angry.gif Please advise!

#2 Joreo

Joreo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (rege @ Feb 15 2010, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does Easy VHS capture widescreen format from a mini-DV camera?  I don't see a setting for it and thats what I bought this for.   angry.gif Please advise!

I'm sorry, its just not possible to use this to get the same kind of quality you would get with Firewire transfer.

#3 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (rege @ Feb 15 2010, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Easy VHS to DVD is capturing from analog camcorders.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (rege @ Feb 15 2010, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your DV camcorder has Firewire then you can transfer directly from it to your Mac without having to use its analog output. You may even be able to use the Toast 9 Basic to do this capture. Choose DVD-video in the Toast Video window, connect your camcorder via Firewire and turn the camera on to playback mode. Toast should show the camcorder along with controls to play, advance and rewind the tape. Toast will recognize the anamorphic 16:9 format used by the camcorder. When finished Toast can encode and burn that video to DVD. Roxio calls it plug & play and there should be info in Toast Help.

If you are stuck with copying using the camcorder's analog output then I think you can set the camcorder to play the video in its 4:3 format so the video looks horizontally squished. When you place the resulting video in Toast, you can go to the custom encoder settings window and force the aspect ratio to be 16:9. I haven't tried this but it is plausible that it can work. But you need to capture the video to the Mac in the 4:3 squished format if using the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac if you want to ultimately see it in its anamorphic 16:9 ratio again.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 rege

rege

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

You seem to know more than anyone at Roxio.  I will try to put my camera in 4:3 and send, then re-convert to 16:9, but why should I have to?  The main problem is that this is a Sony camera (16:9 capable) which does not have a firewire or USB output that is compatible with my iMac and iMovie capture (only comp video and audio output).  This has to be an issue that many Sony camcorder owners face when trying to download to Mac.  Any other thoughts?  Thanks.

Edited by rege, 16 February 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#6 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (rege @ Feb 16 2010, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You seem to know more than anyone at Roxio.  I will try to put my camera in 4:3 and send, then re-convert to 16:9, but why should I have to?  The main problem is that this is a Sony camera (16:9 capable) which does not have a firewire or USB output that is compatible with my iMac and iMovie capture (only comp video and audio output).  This has to be an issue that many Sony camcorder owners face when trying to download to Mac.  Any other thoughts?  Thanks.

You've raised an issue that I haven't experimented with using this device so I'm doing a lot of reasoned guessing. The fact that you couldn't get the 16:9 capture when playing the video in the camera's 16:9 mode tells me the Roxio device does not look for the anamorphic trigger. If it did, it still would be capturing as a 4:3 video but including the trigger that causes it to play back as 16:9. That's why I think my suggestion will work.

I once recorded a cable TV program that the channel played as a horizontally squished 4:3 and then used Toast to force the 16:9 format on the video DVD. That worked. The only downside is the menu thumbnail image was 4:3. That's why I'm hopeful this will work for you.

Have you Googled to see if there are tips for how to extract video from your Sony camcorder to a Mac without having to use the analog transfer?
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users