netmation

Combine MTS Files and Edit?

Question

Have the MTS files (AVCHD) taken with a Lumix GH1. New to Roxio software and I have Roxio Creator 2009. Can Roxio easily combine this MTS files, and then edit them? Or do I need to convert them first to another format and then edit. Any help with describing the best process and formats to use would be great. Thanks.

10 answers to this question

Have the MTS files (AVCHD) taken with a Lumix GH1. New to Roxio software and I have Roxio Creator 2009. Can Roxio easily combine this MTS files, and then edit them? Or do I need to convert them first to another format and then edit. Any help with describing the best process and formats to use would be great. Thanks.

What happens when you Add the file to a Project?

What happens when you Add the file to a Project?

I have the same problem. Just got a GH1 last week. Video clips play fine in windows media player and on my Sony HD set using a media player. Tried to combine and edit the clips in videowave.

Videowave says the mts files need to be converted before they can be inserted. Videowave converts the files and places them in the lower panel. The clips do not play and cannot be edited.

I also tried changing the extension of the clips to mpeg but that did not work. I also tried to use the m2ts files, again no luck.

I have done dozens of slideshows with still images previously and videowave did a good job on those.

Thanks for responding "boreal". I am kind of lost on how to edit my MTS files still, though I really have not put lots of time into it. Not sure if Roxio out of the box will allow us to edit and combine the MTS clips the GH1 records. Many on the Internet talk about TSmuxer as a good tool to combine clips but that was not apparent either to me the few minutes I tried it. Lots of terminology I am just not familar with. Here is the link for TSMuxer.

http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html

I have a copy of Corel VideoStudio here as well which many say is a nice easy to use package but have not gone that far. If you have any success please feel free to drop me a note at anytime.

Thanks, Al

albert@netmation.com

Thanks for responding "boreal". I am kind of lost on how to edit my MTS files still, though I really have not put lots of time into it. Not sure if Roxio out of the box will allow us to edit and combine the MTS clips the GH1 records. Many on the Internet talk about TSmuxer as a good tool to combine clips but that was not apparent either to me the few minutes I tried it. Lots of terminology I am just not familar with. Here is the link for TSMuxer.

http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html

I have a copy of Corel VideoStudio here as well which many say is a nice easy to use package but have not gone that far. If you have any success please feel free to drop me a note at anytime.

Thanks, Al

albert@netmation.com

Haven't found out how to use Videowave to edit the clips. Might try my daugther's Creator 2010 which she bought on my rec. I did find a good forum for GH1 users. This post lists a lot of packages that can handle the GH1 files

http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/forumthread:13424

The site also has a lot of great GH1 videos. Good for ideas.

Thanks. Most of the recommendations seemed to be for the Apple though, unless you want to spend $800 on Adobe Premier Pro. Let me know what ends up working for you. Thanks.

Made more progress.

Tried importing the clips from the camera with Roxio. Still no luck. Breakthrough was when I tried playing the Roxio converted files using Windows Media Player. They wouldn't play properly or not at all. Realized the problem was with Roxio conversion.

Downloaded trial version of WinX HD convertor

http://www.winxdvd.com/hd-video-converter-deluxe/

which I heard about on the dpreview forums. Converted the clips to MPEG with WinX HD. Checked that they played in Windows media. Loaded the converted clips into videowave, and presto it all worked. Some issues with the frame size of the converted clips due to the trial version of WinX.

So the problem is Roxio conversion of the MTS files. Convert with another package and we're good to go. Will still try with my daugthers Creator 2010 in case the conversion on it is better. If not I'll buy WinX for $30.

Good luck

<!--quoteo(post=329178:date=May 20 2010, 06:39 AM:name=kate59588)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kate59588 @ May 20 2010, 06:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a JVC Everio HD300 (AVCHD) camcorder,i am annoyed with the MTS files, for they counldn't be edit on Adobe Premiere but now i found out a fastest and easiest way to solve it-just use a professional HD Video converter which can convert MTS/TOD/MOD to wmv, mov, mp4, avi, etc. without any problem.The software seems to do a decent job. I've had good results converting the .mts files to HD .mpg , with the settings mepg2, 1200, 1280*720, 25fps, aac. The files look good on my PC running Adobe Premiere, edit easily, and convert well to DVD format.

If you want to edit your MTS files,download this software.

Deleted<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, there are<b> free </b> convertes that will do the job. You are advertising a program that requires purchase. It is considered span and that is not allowed.

BTW, Kate is a spammer from China who is paid to post spam. IF HE EVER POSTS AGAIN, RUN ! DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT.

Edited by sknis

Hi, sknis

I am not spamming], really i have used (deleted pay software - not shareware) and i found it from website. i just reconmeded this to try, this will definitely serve your purpose.

There are many open source freewares like ImgBurn,Handbrake,SUPER ect, but we also need shareware.

I think the user interface is friendly and they do what I want & at a reasonable price.

Oh yes you are !

Kate is giving one country a bad reputation !

Edited by sknis

Made more progress.

Tried importing the clips from the camera with Roxio. Still no luck. Breakthrough was when I tried playing the Roxio converted files using Windows Media Player. They wouldn't play properly or not at all. Realized the problem was with Roxio conversion.

So the problem is Roxio conversion of the MTS files. Convert with another package and we're good to go. Will still try with my daugthers Creator 2010 in case the conversion on it is better. If not I'll buy WinX for $30.

Good luck

Wow, I was looking for exactly this piece of software to help me figure out my oly form, thanks for sharing.

For most quick video format conversions I turn to "M2TS video converter" (link removed). It handles most of the stuff I want to do when I don't want to get into the details of demuxing and encoding.

Edited by myguggi

Wow, I was looking for exactly this piece of software to help me figure out my oly form, thanks for sharing.

For most quick video format conversions I turn to "M2TS video converter" (removed). It handles most of the stuff I want to do when I don't want to get into the details of demuxing and encoding.

You just replied to a 4 year old thread which has no relation to the latest Roxio software