ejhonda

RoxWatchTray.exe, C++ errors, and KB977165

Question

I just happened to run Windows Update this morning on my well-maintained Windows XP system. It picked up KB977165 as the sole missing update, which I installed. After the installation, I delayed the reboot several times while I worked on somethings. After about 6 or so deferrals of the reboot process, I finally decided to allow it to reboot. At the point I started to shut down programs, I noticed my Taskbar, which typically sits vertically on the right hand side of my screen, suddenly was very narrow - only wide enough to display one icon width-wise in the system tray. I tried to grab the edge of the Taskbar and drag it back out to normal width (about 4 icons wide in the system tray), but it wouldn't budge (yep, made sure it wasn't locked). So I decided this may behave once I rebooted.

I rebooted, and after I logged onto the system, my Taskbar was now only a sliver of gray on the right hand side of the screen, with nothing denoting a Start button or a system tray. I could right click on it, and get a menu, but that was about it. No way to access the Start menu, Control Panel, etc. An error message also popped up before the Desktop fully revealed itself:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error:

Program: ...es\Common Files\Roxio Shared\SharedCom8\RoxWatchTray.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I found many references to BSoD's caused by KB977165, but nothing like what I'm seeing referring the Roxio Tray Watch executable. I ended up attempting a reinstall of Windows XP from CD, which seemed to resolve the issue, until I began installing Windows Updates again. This time, I still have a functioning Taskbar, but the C++ Runtime error message reappeared once SP2 was installed. Any ideas as to whether this would fit the malware issue or is something completely different?

Win XP

Roxio RecordNow Premier version 3.0.0, Build 3.1.1a; PX Engine 4.0.36a, 9; RecordNow Audio v3.0.0 bld 300B86B; Copy 3.0.0 bld 300B69A; Data 3.0.0 bld 300B65A, Tools 3.0.0 bld 300B55A; EasyArchive 3.1.0

Security in place includes Linksys router firewall, eEye Blink Personal 4.6.0 (Security Suite), and Firefox 3.6 w/ NoScript add-on.

5 answers to this question

It sounds like a MS update has knocked it out of action, but actually if you run msconfig and deselect it from auto-loading, that will kill the message (it only catalogues your media files anyway and isn't critical)

Hi there,

instead of opening a new discussion, let me try to explain my (somewhat similar) problem, maybe you can help me ?? :)

After a long time I reinstalled my RecordNow 9 Music Lab on my new HDD. The following 2 questions appeared:

1. Is there any compatibilty issue of this software with Windows Vista? The program starts normally, but in the middle of a DVD

burning process it stops.

2. In startup, I get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error message as follows

2a) Interactive services dialog detection - a program cannot display a message on your desktop

2b) Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library -

Program: ... Program files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe

The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

2c) Runtime Error!

Program: ... Program files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe

R 6025 - pure virtual function call.

That is my problem and I'd be thankful for any advice.

Dell Dimension 5150 Desktop

Pentium 4 Processor

4 GB RAM

Windows Vista Ultimate Edition

Folks, this is a resurrected necropost from 2010. I doubt there's much of interest here, and a new topic would be in order.

Thomas, a new thread/topic is almost always a better idea than trying to find one that fits your problem.

Edited by d_deweywright

After a long time I reinstalled my RecordNow 9 Music Lab on my new HDD. The following 2 questions appeared:

1. Is there any compatibilty issue of this software with Windows Vista? The program starts normally, but in the middle of a DVD

burning process it stops.

I don't believe RecordNow 9 was compatible with Vista. That would explain the errors you are getting.

Regards,

Brendon