18 replies to this topic

#1 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

Since getting my computer repaired it has not been possible to open Roxio Creator from either the desktop shortcut or from Programs.  Followed the instructions for a clean and complete uninstall of Creator 2009, and then reinstalled Creator 2009 from the following download files: FN56IA50R13_Creator2009_11.0.exe, and FP20FZ250SQAEMC11Content 7Lang.exe.  I understand that the second file is optional.  Still could not open Creator 2009.  Then decided to carefully go through the files that are to be deleted under Step 5 in Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009, to determine if all could be accounted for on my computer after performing the reinstallation of Creator 2009.  Found all of the files listed under Step 5 except for two that I believe may explain why I cannot open Creator 2009.  

I right clicked on the Creator 2009 desktop shortcut and opened Properties.  Wrote down the following:

Target: "C:\Program Files\Roxio Creator 2009\Roxio Central4\"

Start In: "C:\Program Files\Roxio Creator2009\Roxio Central4\"

These two files are missing.  I also did a file search for these two files.  Got an error message indicating that they are missing or on another computer.  Are these the files that start Roxio Creator 2009?
System Specs:
Win 7 Pro & Win XP Pro SP3
Intel Core i5-760, 2.8GHz CPU
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD
ATI Radeon HD 5670 Video Card, 1024MB Memory
Acer S201HL LED 20" Monitor
Seagate 1GB External Hard Drive
802.11 b/g/n Wireless Network

HP Pro Book: Intel i5, 2.60 GHz
Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#2 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,439 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

They are the ones that start My C2010...You seem to be missing (4\RoxioCentralFx.exe) at the end of your target. Are they in your folder?

Target,  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio 2010\Roxio Central 5\RoxioCentralFx.exe"

Start in,   "C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio 2010\Roxio Central 5\"

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#3 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

You ask, "Are they in your folder?"  I have not been able to find it anywhere on my computer.   Which folder are you referring to?  Shouldn't the two files been downloaded onto the computer when I reinstalled Creator 2009?
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#4 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,439 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (outerbank @ Mar 7 2010, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You ask, "Are they in your folder?"  I have not been able to find it anywhere on my computer.   Which folder are you referring to?  Shouldn't the two files been downloaded onto the computer when I reinstalled Creator 2009?

Following this path you don't find them? C:\Program Files\Roxio 2009\Roxio Central 4\RoxioCentralFx.exe

If you have winzip- winrar, extract the two download files in two seperate folders you make on your hard drive and look for them..

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#5 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Let me correct what I described in my initial post.  First, I did find the file - C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Roxio CentralFX.  I thought I had checked to show hidden files, which I hadn't done.  So the above file is on my computer.

On the matter of the properties for the shortcut, I also have to correct what I indicated.  The correct is as follows:

Target: "C:\Program Files\Roxio Creator 2009\Roxio Central4\Roxio CentralFx.exe"

Start in: "C:\Program Files\Roxio Creator 2009\Roxio central4\"

So it appears that the target and start paths are consistent with what you have on your computer for C2010.  Now I don't know what to do next since it seems that the reinstall added everything necessary to run Creator 2009.  I suppose my next step is to go back to the tech that serviced my computer to determine if there is anything in the registry that is fouling up opening Creator 2009.  By the way, all of the programs within Creator 2009 function correctly.  That is, I can open VideoWave, MyDVD, etc.  It is only the Creator home page that won't open.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#6 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

Finally found both files.  I've found that the path must be absolutely correctly written.  No spaces between names, or spaces between names or numbers.  So I do have both files, which still leaves me in a quandry as to why I can't open Creator homepage.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#7 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

I have one last hope that someone can help me.  I went to msconfig and then to the Services tab.  I found the following Roxio related items stopped as stopped:

Roxio UPnP Renderer 11
Roxio UpnP Server 11
LiveShare Pzp Server 11
RoxioMedia DB 11
Roxio Hard Drive Watch

Is this the normal setting for these 5 items?  Or, should they be Running?
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#8 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,075 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hello Outerbank,

When none of the Roxio programs were running, all those services showed as Stopped. I have the default settings engaged.

However when I ran Creator 2009 Home from the desktop icon you referred to, RoxMediaDB11 showed as Running. I guess it started that service. Perhaps the other services you mentioned are started as needed, depending on what you're running.

msconf.jpg
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#9 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the response about whether the items in Services should be running or stopped.  I came to the identical conclusion that these items most likely show they are running only if they are being used.  My next two steps are (1) go back to the tech that recovered my computer from the BSOD and seek his help; (2) I've sent an e-mail to Roxio tech support seeking their help.  It's obvious that the only portion of Creator 2009 that is not working is the homepage or opening window of Creator 2009.  I guess its correct name may be Creator Central.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#10 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

I think that I've found the reason why Creator09 will not open.  Went to Programs to open Media Manager.  The Media Manager opening screen came up and then shortly after another window opened indicating that Creator 2009 was being configured.  It began the configuration than stopped with the following message:

Error 1706.  No valid source could be found for product Roxio Creator 2009.  The Windows installer cannot continue.

Another window opened with the following:

C:\Docum~1\user name~1\Locals~1\temp~1\WZSE0.Tmp\EMC_110\RoxioCreator 2009.msi cannot be found.  Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find installation package 'Roxio Creator 2009.msi in a folder from which you can install the product Roxio Creator 2009.

Performed explorer search of the computer...did not find the msi file in question.  I would have thought that this file would have been downloaded when reinstalling Creator09?  Waiting for response from Roxio Tech Support.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#11 firenhancer

firenhancer

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (outerbank @ Mar 8 2010, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that I've found the reason why Creator09 will not open.  Went to Programs to open Media Manager.  The Media Manager opening screen came up and then shortly after another window opened indicating that Creator 2009 was being configured.  It began the configuration than stopped with the following message:

Error 1706.  No valid source could be found for product Roxio Creator 2009.  The Windows installer cannot continue.

C:\Docum~1\user name~1\Locals~1\temp~1\WZSE0.Tmp\EMC_110\RoxioCreator 2009.msi cannot be found.  Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find installation package 'Roxio Creator 2009.msi in a folder from which you can install the product Roxio Creator 2009.

Performed explorer search of the computer...did not find the msi file in question.  I would have thought that this file would have been downloaded when reinstalling Creator09?  Waiting for response from Roxio Tech Support.

I believe you should consider a Windows repair.

#12 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,883 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (outerbank @ Mar 8 2010, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you unzipped the C2009 program exe file and tried setup from there?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#13 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

Well I downloaded and installed Creator 2009 again.  This time I watched most of the download as it progressed and I did see the msi files being downloaded.  However, they still do not appear on my computer.  One thing that did occur the setup phase.  An error notice appeared at the bottom of the .net Framework window during installation of Microsoft Net v3.5".  Closed out of this window.  The next window to open was installing Directx 9 Runtime, which seemed to complete.  Then came installing Roxio Creator 2009.  After this finished the computer shut down and restarted.  Could the error at .net framework be the source of not being able to open Creator 2009?

What do you mean, time to rework Windows?  It was just reinstalled.  When I downloaded Creator 2009 this last time I just clicked on Run.  It unzipped the file from Run.

Edited by outerbank, 08 March 2010 - 07:33 PM.

System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#14 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

I'm beginning a new thread on this subject because the other one was going nowhere.  

Finally found a thread on this forum that is nearly indentical to my problem.  As usual, there was more than one opinion on how to solve the problem.  I refer to a posting that began Sept. 30, 2008.  The individual reported the following after uninstalling/reinstalling Roxio Creator 2009:  "When I try to launch the program I get an error that says...Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."  

The recommendations for resolving this problem include:

Post#1 Uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and only install .NET Framework 3.5.  

Post #7 indicates that there is a problem with a .dll that was caused by MS when they released a patch for dotNET 3.5 (???) that took out the needed .dll.  The cure recommended is, "Uninstall dotNET 3.5 completely as well as dotNET 2 Sevice Pack (both SP1 and the original and then let 2009 install its version.

Post#8 states that the "Clean installation is not the solution for this problem."  Continuing, "The problem is the 2009 version requires .NET 3.0 SP1 and .NET 3.5 (not .NET 3.5 SP1).  Going on....

"1.1 Ininstall .NET 3.5 (any service pack);
1.2 Uninstall .NET 3.0 (any service pack); and
2.1 Install .NET 3.0, followed by 2.2 Install .NET 3.0 SP1;  and finally
2.3 Install .NET 3.5, then restart the computer.  

What is confounding is that my computer has all of the .NET versions, and Creator 2009 worked successfully until my computer crashed.  It was downloaded from the Roxio online store with no problems.  Creator central opened with no problem.  But now it is impossible to launch Creator central.  This is just crazy.

With so many different recommendations for solving the problem, is it any wonder that users of this software become frustrated?  Now what is a person to do?  I guess one can try both methods to determine which is successful.  Still waiting for a response from Roxio tech.  Judging by the exchange between Travis and Roxio I shouldn't expect much.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#15 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:20 AM

If you actually read the posts you quote they all actually say more or less the same thing - do NOT install 3.5 SP1 before installing the suite and, if you have already done so, then follow the advice on removing it and the SP for dotNET 2.

You may also at this stage need to do the clean install for Creator 2009 and remove anything that may have been left behind
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#16 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

Thank you gi7omy for the confirmation about what to uninstall and when.  

So allow me to review ...

Uninstall .net 2.0 and its service packs
Uninstall .net 3.0 and any of its service packs
Uninstall .net 3.5 and its service pack
Restart computer.

After performing the above steps do a clean uninstall of Creator 2009 following the Complete uninstall instructions.

Restart computer.

Then reinstall Creator 2009.  Then determine if Creator Central opens.  I apologize for being seemingly anal about the instructions.  I want to do this just once and be done with it.

Then reinstall all of the .net items along with their service packs?????

Here's the .net items on my computer that I understand need to be deleted and then reinstalled:

.NET 2.0 SP2
.NET 3.0 SP2
.NET 3.5 SP1
.NET 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
.NET 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)

Presumably, all of the .NET 1.0 items do not affect the installation of Creator 2009.

I plan to take the computer to the person that solved the BSOD and have him perform the clean uninstall and reinstall.  Will definitely post the results of the effort.

Edited by outerbank, 10 March 2010 - 12:04 PM.

System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#17 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

Print out the clean install instructions (don't skip or add any steps) and let the program install the dotNET stuff - after that let MS do the updating

for vista: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...7CR&PARAMS=

for XP: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...6CR&PARAMS=

If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#18 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thanks!  Will do as described.  Forgot one thing.  It's a suggestion.  Why not include the .NET Framework deletion information with the Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009?  If this isn't possible, can the NET Framework infomation be attached as an addendum, or other such thing?  This would be very beneficial to anyone in the future that experiences the same problem.  For example, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Creator 2009 a number of times before I found the references about deleting .NET framework files.

Edited by outerbank, 10 March 2010 - 04:11 PM.

System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#19 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

Concerned about what is being deleted using the "Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009", I did a dry run of the uninstall steps.  Everything seemed without any hitches until I got to Step 5.  Under Step 5...the deletion of the 6th and 8th items concerns me as to how it will affect the slide shows that have been created.  I'm not quite ready to delete everything related to these four slide shows.

For example, if the Roxio folder is deleted under item 6 on the list of folders to be deleted, this will delete a the subfolder "VideoWave11" along with the sub-folder "Images".  The "Images" folder contains several jpeg images that were used in the slide productions.  I can't explain why they are in this folder.  First, can this folder not be deleted and still be able to sucessfully install Creator 09?  Secondly, Can/should these images be moved to another folder before deleting the primary Roxio folder?  Will the slide show productions find them if it is decided that I want to make modifications to the production?

Under the same step 5, but now with the 8th item on the list of folders to delete.  If the Roxio folder is deleted it will also delete the sub-folder "MyDVD", which also has its sub-folder "Temp".  Within the Temp folder is what appears to be a VideoWave file with the title "QBLoadonly".  This is described as a Roxio MyDVD Project.  Right clicking and opening this folder opens the MyDVD program and shows the intro to one of the slide show projects.  How will deleting this affect the slide show project?  Or, can this folder be left undeleted?  What is "QBLoadonly"?
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram