wwolverton

Unable to read burned CD/DVDs on new laptop

Question

I burned 4 DVD-Rs and 1 CD-R from my work computer using Roxio Creator Plus - Dell Edition, Build 2.4.32a. It is a government issue Dell Latitude D620, with Windows XP Pro SP3. I used the Direct-to-Disk option using Sonic DLA. I used brand-new discs, formatted them, copied the data and then clicked the Make Compatible feature. I checked each disk after creating it and verified that I could read the data on the Dell.

I'm not having luck reading the data on my new personal laptop. It is an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook, with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. When I insert the CD-R, I see the CD label, as well as the 3 folder names on the CD. But Windows explorer says the folders are empty. When I insert any of the DVD-Rs, I only see the DVD label name, but none of the folders. Windows Explorer says the disk has no free space, but there are no folders or files visible.

Hope you can help.

7 answers to this question

I burned 4 DVD-Rs and 1 CD-R from my work computer using Roxio Creator Plus - Dell Edition, Build 2.4.32a. It is a government issue Dell Latitude D620, with Windows XP Pro SP3. I used the Direct-to-Disk option using Sonic DLA. I used brand-new discs, formatted them, copied the data and then clicked the Make Compatible feature. I checked each disk after creating it and verified that I could read the data on the Dell.

I'm not having luck reading the data on my new personal laptop. It is an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook, with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. When I insert the CD-R, I see the CD label, as well as the 3 folder names on the CD. But Windows explorer says the folders are empty. When I insert any of the DVD-Rs, I only see the DVD label name, but none of the folders. Windows Explorer says the disk has no free space, but there are no folders or files visible.

Hope you can help.

Packet-Writing - Sonic's DLA, Roxio's Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, etc - is notorious for not being compatible with other Packet-Writing programs, or even different Versions of the same program.

Try a data-recovery program, such as ISOBuster or cdroller - the "trial" Version will let you see if it can recover anything, altho you'll have to buy the program to recover it. The fact you used R media is a good sign - RW media is less stable and a poor choice for long-term archiving (good for testing - if it doesn't work, erase the entire thing and try something else).

Let us know how it goes.

And for future reference - if you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc.

Lynn

D2D is is a packet-writing system, and such systems write non-standard discs which have a lot of problems with disc reliability.

Use standard authoring software (whatever is on your Dell oem version) which makes standard CD-ROM or DVD-ROM discs which can be read in any PC. This requires no formatting.

Packet-Writing - Sonic's DLA, Roxio's Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, etc - is notorious for not being compatible with other Packet-Writing programs, or even different Versions of the same program.

Try a data-recovery program, such as ISOBuster or cdroller - the "trial" Version will let you see if it can recover anything, altho you'll have to buy the program to recover it. The fact you used R media is a good sign - RW media is less stable and a poor choice for long-term archiving (good for testing - if it doesn't work, erase the entire thing and try something else).

Let us know how it goes.

And for future reference - if you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc.

Lynn

Lynn,

Thanks for the response. I'll try those suggestions, unless I can get some other burning software installed on my source machine - government gets pretty picky. As for formatting the CD - that was part of the Roxio/Sonic process when using a blank CD. I'm afraid I don't quite understand the point you're trying to make - sorry for being dense.

Wayne

D2D is is a packet-writing system, and such systems write non-standard discs which have a lot of problems with disc reliability.

Use standard authoring software (whatever is on your Dell oem version) which makes standard CD-ROM or DVD-ROM discs which can be read in any PC. This requires no formatting.

Ogdens - thanks for the feedback. I'll have to see if our system admins have some other burning software that I can use. This is what came with the laptop.

Ogdens - thanks for the feedback. I'll have to see if our system admins have some other burning software that I can use. This is what came with the laptop.

In your Dell oem version there should be other applications in the program other than Drag to Disc ( I am not familiar with this oem version).

If you go to Start>Programs and find your version in there.

In the picture below is another Dell oem, and the Data Disc has been selected.

That is what you could use instead of D2D.

Your specific version may be different, but this will give you an idea of what to look for.

post-68-1269891148.png

In your Dell oem version there should be other applications in the program other than Drag to Disc ( I am not familiar with this oem version).

Your specific version may be different, but this will give you an idea of what to look for.

Thanks for the advice - I'll try that option.

Ogdens - it worked like a charm! Thanks for your help.

Ogdens - it worked like a charm! Thanks for your help.

Your welcome......thanks for getting back to us.