8 replies to this topic

#1 jakewoodblues

jakewoodblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:04 AM

Hi ---

I'm making a dvd that has 6 movies, with 3 menus.  The first movie is a forced play movie (dvd logo).
Menu 1 lets you select the other the main features & the extras menus.
Movies 2,3 & 6 are on the main features menu (menu 2) & movies 4&5 are on the extras menu (menu 3).

This is how I set the title & menu button routing for each movie:
Movie 1 to no action (I want it force played without being able to skip it)
Movies 2,3&6, both menu and titles buttons set to got to menu 2
Movies 4&5 to go to menu 3

In simulation mode, the buttons work as I set them, but when I create the dvd, it doesn't work.  mad.gif

What did I do wrong?  blink.gif  
Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks!

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (jakewoodblues @ Apr 14 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi ---

I'm making a dvd that has 6 movies, with 3 menus.  The first movie is a forced play movie (dvd logo).
Menu 1 lets you select the other the main features & the extras menus.
Movies 2,3 & 6 are on the main features menu (menu 2) & movies 4&5 are on the extras menu (menu 3).

This is how I set the title & menu button routing for each movie:
Movie 1 to no action (I want it force played without being able to skip it)
Movies 2,3&6, both menu and titles buttons set to got to menu 2
Movies 4&5 to go to menu 3

In simulation mode, the buttons work as I set them, but when I create the dvd, it doesn't work.  mad.gif

What did I do wrong?  blink.gif  
Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks!

Other then "it doesn't work" you really have not given any information on what is wrong. What part of the menu does not work?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 jakewoodblues

jakewoodblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

Sorry, you're absolutely right.  In all cases, when I press the title button, I'm immediately taken to the first-play movie, I'm taken to menu #1.

I wrote the original in a hurry when I was running out the door for work blink.gif

Thanks,
Scott

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (jakewoodblues @ Apr 14 2010, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, you're absolutely right.  In all cases, when I press the title button, I'm immediately taken to the first-play movie, I'm taken to menu #1.

I wrote the original in a hurry when I was running out the door for work blink.gif

Thanks,
Scott

In all cases, when I press the title button, I'm immediately taken to the first-play movie, I'm taken to menu #1.

The above sentence does not make any sense. You are either taken to the first play movie or you are taken to the menu #1.

Lets see if I understand what you want to create.
When you put the DVD in the player, you want movie 1 (the First Play movie) to play  and after that you want menu 1 to appear. Is that correct? Menu 1 has 2 items: Movies and Extras. When you select Movies you want Menu 2 to appear with 3 items: Movies 2,3 and 6. The Extras menu page (Menu 3) will have 2 items: movies 4 and 5.

What should happen after each of the movies plays? What happens after movie 6 on menu 2 or after movie 5 on Menu 3?

Edited by myguggi, 14 April 2010 - 07:30 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
SoundMAX Digital Audio
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit

#5 jakewoodblues

jakewoodblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Apr 14 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In all cases, when I press the title button, I'm immediately taken to the first-play movie, I'm taken to menu #1.

The above sentence does not make any sense. You are either taken to the first play movie or you are taken to the menu #1.

Lets see if I understand what you want to create.
When you put the DVD in the player, you want movie 1 (the First Play movie) to play  and after that you want menu 1 to appear. Is that correct? Menu 1 has 2 items: Movies and Extras. When you select Movies you want Menu 2 to appear with 3 items: Movies 2,3 and 6. The Extras menu page (Menu 3) will have 2 items: movies 4 and 5.

What should happen after each of the movies plays? What happens after movie 6 on menu 2 or after movie 5 on Menu 3?

Let's try again...I'm not usually this incoherent.
Yes, When I put the dvd in, I want movie 1 to play.  I also want to effectively block the menu and title buttons, forcing the movie to play & then go to Menu 1 at its end.
You're also right about how I want the menus to operate.  After each movie plays on menu 2 (movies 2,3 &6) I want to return to menu 2.  I also have a play all playlist to run all of the  movies together before returning to menu 2.

The same kind of operation is what I want on Menu 3.  After each of movies 4 & 5, I want to return to Menu 3.  Again, I have a playlist that will also play these movies sequentially, & then return to Menu 3.

I guess the problem I have is this:
When I was on one of the menu screens and accidentally pressed the menu button on my remote, I was taken to Menu 1.  When I pressed the title button, I was taken to movie 1.  (This happened on both menu 2 & 3).  Again, from all menus, if possible, I don't want the menu & title buttons to function.  If I have to have some functionality on these buttons, I'd like to loop the menu button to whatever menu I'm currently on, and the title button to go to menu 1.

I hope I made more sense this time.

Thanks for your patience and willingness to help this noob

Scott

#6 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (jakewoodblues @ Apr 15 2010, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's try again...I'm not usually this incoherent.
Yes, When I put the dvd in, I want movie 1 to play.  I also want to effectively block the menu and title buttons, forcing the movie to play & then go to Menu 1 at its end.
You're also right about how I want the menus to operate.  After each movie plays on menu 2 (movies 2,3 &6) I want to return to menu 2.  I also have a play all playlist to run all of the  movies together before returning to menu 2.

The same kind of operation is what I want on Menu 3.  After each of movies 4 & 5, I want to return to Menu 3.  Again, I have a playlist that will also play these movies sequentially, & then return to Menu 3.

I guess the problem I have is this:
When I was on one of the menu screens and accidentally pressed the menu button on my remote, I was taken to Menu 1.  When I pressed the title button, I was taken to movie 1.  (This happened on both menu 2 & 3).  Again, from all menus, if possible, I don't want the menu & title buttons to function.  If I have to have some functionality on these buttons, I'd like to loop the menu button to whatever menu I'm currently on, and the title button to go to menu 1.

I hope I made more sense this time.

Thanks for your patience and willingness to help this noob

Scott

A few points to consider for your menu structure.

In Menu 2, after each movie as well as All Movies (for menu 2) plays, you have control go back to Menu 2.  You need to add another menu item to return to Menu 1 otherwise you will be stuck in menu 2.
The same applies to Menu 3.

If you were to set Title and Menu to "no action" and not have a menu item to return to Menu 1, you would be stuck in a loop

To set the remote buttons for Title and Menu: select a panel (Titles or Playlist) and then you can set the action for the remote buttons in the Attributes window.

Search the help system for "end action" or "remote" for lots of good help

Edited by myguggi, 16 April 2010 - 07:46 AM.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#7 jakewoodblues

jakewoodblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Apr 15 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few points to consider for your menu structure.

In Menu 2, after each movie as well as All Movies (for menu 2) plays, you have control go back to Menu 2.  You need to add another menu item to return to Menu 1 otherwise you will be stuck in menu 2.
The same applies to Menu 3.

If you were to set Title and Menu to "no action" and not have a menu item to return to Menu 1, you would be stuck in a loop

To set the remote buttons for Title and Menu: select a panel (Menu, Titles or Playlist) and then you can set the action for the remote buttons in the Attributes window.

Search the help system for "end action" or "remote" for lots of good help

I've done that and I can only find out how map the remote's buttons for a movie, but not for a menu.

I've gone back to look at my dvd.  On menus 2 & 3, the remote's menu button is locked out and the title button takes me to menu 1.  I can live with that. It even makes sense.  However, on menu 1, both the remote's menu and title buttons will take me to movie one (the first play).  I'd rather that they didn't.  Can I change the behavior of the remote's title and menu buttons from a dvd menu?  There doesn't seem to be a way that I've been able to find.

Thanks again

I appreciate the help.

Edited by jakewoodblues, 16 April 2010 - 05:32 AM.

#8 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (jakewoodblues @ Apr 16 2010, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've done that and I can only find out how map the remote's buttons for a movie, but not for a menu.

I've gone back to look at my dvd.  On menus 2 & 3, the remote's menu button is locked out and the title button takes me to menu 1.  I can live with that. It even makes sense.  However, on menu 1, both the remote's menu and title buttons will take me to movie one (the first play).  I'd rather that they didn't.  Can I change the behavior of the remote's title and menu buttons from a dvd menu?  There doesn't seem to be a way that I've been able to find.

Thanks again

I appreciate the help.

You are right , there does not seem to be any way to change the "remote Title and Menu" action buttons when displaying a menu. I have edited my previous post to take out that part.

I will have to check to see what commercial DVDs do with those buttons under similar situations.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#9 jakewoodblues

jakewoodblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Apr 16 2010, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are right , there does not seem to be any way to change the "remote Title and Menu" action buttons when displaying a menu. I have edited my previous post to take out that part.

I will have to check to see what commercial DVDs do with those buttons under similar situations.

**Whew** I thought I was missing something here  rolleyes.gif .
If you find anything else out, I'd let me know.

Thanks so much for your help!
Scott

Edited by jakewoodblues, 16 April 2010 - 08:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users