• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stevens1310

stevens1310

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

I just bought Popcorn last night on a download.  I have a .iso image file on my hard drive - 7.53 GB - and wanted to burn a DVD for viewing on my TV.

In Popcorn, I can select the .iso file just fine.  If I click "Options...", I get the Spinning Beach Ball of Death for a long time, then the program "unexpectedly quits".

If I just say to Record without clicking "Options...", it makes it to where it asks for a blank disk, spins the disk for a while, gives me the Beach Ball, stops spinning the disk, and "unexpectedly quits".

I tried mounting the image and selected the VIDEO_TS folder instead - same problems.

I have 20.39GB of free space available on my hard drive, so I doubt that is the problem.  The image I am trying to burn plays fine on the computer - no encryption problems at work that I am aware of.

Any help?

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

It's working for me so what I'm guessing is that Popcorn is having difficulty reading the .IFO file in the VIDEO_TS folder. Popcorn needs to have the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder to be unaltered from what was present when the disc was authored. Maybe that is the issue.

What you can try instead is mount the .iso and choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. Double-click on what appears in the browser window. You should see the video titles. Choose DVD-Video as the format in the Copy screen. Drag the title(s) you want from the browser to the main window. You will get a window where you can trim the video if you want. If all is okay just click Add and Popcorn will extract the mpeg video from the VIDEO_TS.

You are now creating a new VIDEO_TS folder. So prepare the menu the way you want. I suggest choosing Save as Disc Image in case the video is too big for a single layer disc. When that is done choose the resulting .toast image file with the Image File setting in Popcorn and proceed with getting the additional compression to fit a single-layer disc.

This workaround shouldn't be necessary in most cases. But I think your source is the cause for the problem you're experiencing in this case.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 stevens1310

stevens1310

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

Thanks so much for the clues.  Here's what's happening now.

I can indeed choose the image through the DVD menu as you describe.  I end up seeing 99 titles, many of which show numbers (presumably times?) of 00:00:00, a whole bunch with numbers like 00:04:17, and quite a few with numbers like 01:36:14.

The problem is that when I try to drag any of these into the "put stuff here" area of Popcorn, the program does the Beach Ball thing and crashes.  The Beach Ball shows up IMMEDIATELY when I let go of the mouse button.

I did try to clue off of your advice to use the "Save as Disk Image" option and tried a slightly different approach.  I opened the disk image directly and drug the VIDEO_TS folder into Popcorn on the "VIDEO_TS Folders" tab.  My plan was to save this as a new disk image from within Popcorn, hoping that it would eventually be happy with its own results.  However, the VIDEO_TS folder says that it is 62.91GB!!!  Keep in mind that the entire disk image is only 7.53GB.  I have nowhere near 63GB of space available on my hard drive, so I cannot save the disk image it thinks it wants to create.  I don't know where that number is coming from.  Is this maybe another clue?

Thanks again for any help you can provide...

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (stevens1310 @ Apr 17 2010, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks so much for the clues.  Here's what's happening now.

I can indeed choose the image through the DVD menu as you describe.  I end up seeing 99 titles, many of which show numbers (presumably times?) of 00:00:00, a whole bunch with numbers like 00:04:17, and quite a few with numbers like 01:36:14.

The problem is that when I try to drag any of these into the "put stuff here" area of Popcorn, the program does the Beach Ball thing and crashes.  The Beach Ball shows up IMMEDIATELY when I let go of the mouse button.

I did try to clue off of your advice to use the "Save as Disk Image" option and tried a slightly different approach.  I opened the disk image directly and drug the VIDEO_TS folder into Popcorn on the "VIDEO_TS Folders" tab.  My plan was to save this as a new disk image from within Popcorn, hoping that it would eventually be happy with its own results.  However, the VIDEO_TS folder says that it is 62.91GB!!!  Keep in mind that the entire disk image is only 7.53GB.  I have nowhere near 63GB of space available on my hard drive, so I cannot save the disk image it thinks it wants to create.  I don't know where that number is coming from.  Is this maybe another clue?

Thanks again for any help you can provide...

I have a couple guesses. One guess is that the VIDEO_TS folder was authored to fool DVD copying applications. Another guess is the VIDEO_TS folder is corrupted in some way. In reading the .IFO Popcorn is seeing 99 titles even though many of them are duplicates or have no content at all. That, obviously, is not going work. If Popcorn thinks there are many copies of the hour and a half movie within the .ISO that explains why it also thinks it takes 63 GB to hold that much content.

I don't think there is any way to get this to work in Popcorn. Maybe MPEG Streamclip can open one of the VOB title sets and save that as an .MPG file that Popcorn can use. Streamclip is freeware but requires Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component. If you have it open one of the VTS files that end in the digit 1 in Streamclip and click okay to have it open the entire title set. Streamclip may tell you to fix timecode breaks which you'll want to do. When that is done choose Convert to MPEG from the File menu. Use that file in Popcorn with DVD video selected as the format.

Edited by tsantee, 17 April 2010 - 09:45 PM.

I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users